BioWare "Falsely Advertised" Mass Effect 3

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
irishda said:
I understand what you mean now. But "decisions affecting who we were" is not going to cut for some people because it doesn't have consequences. To me and them, a monumental build-up resulting in nothing is something that a movie can accomplish without the five years of waiting.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Undeadpool said:
Let me be perfectly clear: NOTHING will make most of these "fans" feel better. The ones who weren't frothing at the mouth and spewing vitriol and death threats?
Oh, Oh, that's me!
They'll probably be fine with the DLC.
I am not. The lack of closure with the ending is a problem, a big one. Not resolving the tension is part of what makes the ending, not really and ending. Fixing this is a step in the right direction.
But its only part of the problem, the problem is large and since we are about to be given more of the broken endings the problem may even grow. That would be bad.

Emiscary

Sep 7, 2008
This is years of pent up frustration with game devs finally coming to a head. It's finally happened: promises were made, then broken- and people will not accept it. Period. They want restitution.

And honestly? Good for them. Maybe if everyone remembers how high their standards were at the end of Retake ME we'll see a marked improvement in the quality of games and PR with gamers.

Yosarian2

Jan 29, 2011
AnarchistAbe said:
Congratulations! You got what you wanted, though. That's all that really matters, right? This company, that you loved so much and created a series we all love, getting hit for false advertising because you all didn't like what happened. Congratulations!
Or, you know; getting hit for false advertising because they lied in their advertisements about their product?

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
on one hand, I rage about the ending being just color filters in terms of "dynamic differences" when making choices...

I wanted to say to all who flamed about my statement "wow... looks like GoW, where is the story part of this game? what happens to characters? like mass2? from the trailer, I think it's going to be action packed, but less story driven, and from the grim of the whole look, and theme, I assumed it will have a rushed ending as well..." I just want to be nice and say "I told you so..." but that's besides the point...

EA/Bioware said not long ago, a new sets of ending is on the way... we should just be patience and wait for it, I think the rage was answered... I thik we should just let the guys in Bioware work it out, and we will see in few months...

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
AnarchistAbe said:
dogstile said:
No, they're getting sued for false advertising, not because the ending sucked (even though it did) but because the choices that you had at the ending achieved nothing. Hell, is it even possible to fail mass effect 3? If I rushed through the game and didn't collect war assets, picking the worst choices, I would still beat the reapers.

There wasn't meaningful choices. At all.
Do you REALLY feel they deserved this? Games marketing ALWAYS promises more than the game could deliver. Why is Bioware being singled out?
"That means the endings can be a lot more different. At this point we?re taking into account so many decisions that you?ve made as a player and reflecting a lot of that stuff. It?s not even in any way like the traditional game endings, where you can say how many endings there are or whether you got ending A, B, or C.....The endings have a lot more sophistication and variety in them."

There's a big difference between this and "our game is going to be really long and awesome and deliver in a way that none other have." One is fluff, the other is false advertising. For cases where marketing DOES straight-up lie, they should be called out just like Bioware is.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
punipunipyo said:
on one hand, I rage about the ending being just color filters in terms of "dynamic differences" when making choices...

I wanted to say to all who flamed about my statement "wow... looks like GoW, where is the story part of this game? what happens to characters? like mass2? from the trailer, I think it's going to be action packed, but less story driven, and from the grim of the whole look, and theme, I assumed it will have a rushed ending as well..." I just want to be nice and say "I told you so..." but that's besides the point...

EA/Bioware said not long ago, a new sets of ending is on the way... we should just be patience and wait for it, I think the rage was answered... I thik we should just let the guys in Bioware work it out, and we will see in few months...
It's not a new set of endings, though. It's the same ending, but with a couple of extra scenes to "clarify" some things. The actual problem (the ending being nonsensical and shitty) can't be solved with extra clarification unless you make it based on the indoctrination theory.

Epic Fail 1977

Dec 14, 2010
Hey Andy, why didn't you call Stephens a whiny entitled ****? Isn't that par for the course with these articles?

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
lol, now this made my day. if this takes action, it would make my year.
false advertising indeed. A,B or C. wow, thats what i really wanted in ME3. just give us an ending were all our decisions dint matter.
i still have a problem with this extended ending DLC. i want this stupid brat kid out. like he never existed.

Undeadpool

Aug 17, 2009
Knight Templar said:
Undeadpool said:
Let me be perfectly clear: NOTHING will make most of these "fans" feel better. The ones who weren't frothing at the mouth and spewing vitriol and death threats?
Oh, Oh, that's me!
They'll probably be fine with the DLC.
I am not. The lack of closure with the ending is a problem, a big one. Not resolving the tension is part of what makes the ending, not really and ending. Fixing this is a step in the right direction.
But its only part of the problem, the problem is large and since we are about to be given more of the broken endings the problem may even grow. That would be bad.
Hence why I included the qualifier "Probably." Also the ending wasn't "broken," it was classic, high science fiction. If that's not to your taste, that's one thing, but in no way was it "broken."

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
twiceworn said:
you said something you knew would upset people in as insulting a way as possible in a thread that's about a legal FACT.
No.

What has been presented is a glorified blog where a member of the BBB has merely chimed their opinion.

It only becomes a legal fact if ever there is a trial -- and there has been no talk of a trial. The foundation of the matter is shaky at best because the definition of 'meaningful' has displayed a great diversity of interpretation. Furthermore, this is assuming the courts don't throw it out (due to it being rather frivolous) after the case spends a couple of years in legal limbo.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Eric the Orange said:
I know you report what gets views... but GOD DAMN, can we just drop the Mass Effect shit.

sorry for going off the handle but I am more than sick of hearing about this. I know I don't have to read it, but I do see it popping up every other thread made.
Agreed. It'll be years before I even think about getting into the Mass Effect series just because all this whining about it has made me sick of it.

Kingsnake661

Dec 29, 2010
TheBelgianGuy said:
Darkmantle said:
SweetLiquidSnake said:
Eric the Orange said:
I know you report what gets views... but GOD DAMN, can we just drop the Mass Effect shit.

sorry for going off the handle but I am more than sick of hearing about this. I know I don't have to read it, but I do see it popping up every other thread made.
AnarchistAbe said:
This makes me want to scream. Entitled douchebags, all of you. No arguments, deep down you all know its true.
The Artificially Prolonged said:
Mass Effect 3 fiasco sticking around like a bad rash. I was hoping all fallout over this was over.
Where were all of you on my other post? I made one pointing out that these over-entitled fans should be labeled as "Massholes" and condemned, but the entire post ended up getting flooded with Massholes butthurt about my name calling and tried to tear me a new one.

Glad to see I'm not alone in thinking this is a dead issue.
your post got flooded because you are in the extreme minority. It should be easy to see that.
People in Retake Mass Effect: 60.000?
Mass effect 3 sales: over 3.500.000?
Irony?
It's called a cross section of the total population. When you take a survey, you can't accually poll EVERYONE, you take a sample group. You can argue the survey group may have a bias, but it's not 60,000, vrs 3.5 mill. it's 60k verses the total user base in the BSN which is smaller. And a majority in that poll of people. It is a true majority accross the whole 3.5 million? *shrug* My gut tells me more people are unhappy with the ending then happy, but who can really say? Neither of us. SO it's a moot point really.

And even so. 60k people at 60 dollars a pop is 3.5 million in buying power. Sure, it's not THAT much, but it's nothing to sneaze at either. That much money can put a real dent in your quartely earnings i'd bet.

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
Undeadpool said:
Hence why I included the qualifier "Probably." Also the ending wasn't "broken," it was classic, high science fiction. If that's not to your taste, that's one thing, but in no way was it "broken."
It's like a mob has gotten its hands on a glossary of popular terms, and is stitching arguments together without even stopping to consider the definitions of their favorite buzzwords.

RevRaptor

Mar 10, 2010
I'm not too sure how American law treats this but the advertising for Mass Effect 3 definitely violates the NZ Fair Trade Act. Not that I'm all that worried this isn't the first game to not live up to the promises the Company makes.
Anyone remember how Mass Effect one was supposed to let you go on these big exploring missions on lots of planets but they ran outa time so the end product was far less than expected.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
GamesB2 said:
People are even more angry about the Extended Cut DLC?

I was actually moderately pleased ._.

The bad ending is already out there, no point taking it all back now, the only thing worth doing is making it less bad.
Agreed. The whole lack decisions meaning much at the end didn't actually bother me nearly as much as the gigantic plot holes or lack of closure.
If they can actually patch all of the plot holes in the extended cut (I kind of doubt they will) then I will forgive Bioware and Mass Effect series will go back to being one of my favorites.