BioWare: Motion Controls Will Make Games Better

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
BioWare: Motion Controls Will Make Games Better

Motion controls will be a great step forward in videogame storytelling, says BioWare VP Greg Zeschuk.

There's a section in Mass Effect 2 where you can pull the right trigger to shove a mercenary out of a very high window, and then make a quip as he plummets to the ground far, far below. But how much more immersive would it be if rather than pushing a button to defenestrate the unlucky hired gun, it was triggered by a shove from the player?

Zeschuk believes that it's at moments like this that motion controls can really enhance hardcore games, and says that developers examining what can be done with them is inevitable. "The new motion controls are very interesting," he said. "Where it gets really interesting is when developers like [BioWare] can tear it all down and ask 'what can we actually do in a game like Mass Effect?' ... The reality is it's going to have a really positive impact."

Turning the player into an "actor" in a scene, rather than "voyeur" simply watching it, could be very powerful, says Zeschuk, and that being able to control a character in a much more natural way could be a great boon to storytelling. But developers will have to careful about the gestures they include in a game, he says, as something as simple as looking away from the screen can shatter the immersion.

Zeschuk also acknowledges that there will always be a certain degree of resistance from hardcore gamers when it comes to motion controls: "There's that impediment of a controller but hardcore gamers are never going to give that up," he said. "It might be nice to see a hybrid of a controller used with additional gesture on the side for immersive elements."

Source: Games Industry [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/biowares-greg-zeschuk-interview_8?page=2]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
These day, whenever I see "Bioware: ____________" as a News Room title...I know something stupid is on its way. I like these guys...but they need to shut up.

I don't think that making hand gestures like I'm conversing in real life at a FLAT SCREEN is going to add to my "immersion".

It'd actually break it, because I'd be distracted by the whole "looking like an idiot" thing.

Lonan

Dec 27, 2008
I'm disappointed that he would cave to the obese losers who are against motion controls. I very much liked what he said before though.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Certain games, yeah. MadWorld, Mario Galaxy, No More Heroes, and The Conduit immediately spring to mind when I think of Motion Controls done right, but I'm not sure about RPG games like Mass Effect.

gl1koz3

May 24, 2010
Just give me holograms, goddamn. This motion control is useless without those. Or at least proper VR googles with 1080p and no head/eye injury.

Spaceman_Spiff

Apr 16, 2009
So rather than focusing on improving general gameplay they are focusing on improving the game for people willing to pay extra for the Natal or Move.

Yay?

Rarhnor

Jun 2, 2010
So the (sexually) intimate scenes is gonna be quick time events that consists of hip thrusting and pull ups (and downs)?

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
Hopefully this is the only time I will ever, EVER have to say this, but:

Bioware, keep your dumbass ideas to yourself and stop talking out your ass.

Now, if you'll kindly get to work on ME3, I can go back to loving you unconditionally.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
Oh Bioware, why do you keep stuffing your feet into your mouth? I suggest you keep to your phenomenal writing and game crafting, and just leave motion controls where it belongs.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
wheres my mass effect or dragon age on the wii. at the very least sonic chrocicals 2

Feb 13, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
Motion controls will be a great step forward in videogame storytelling, says BioWare VP Greg Zeschuk.
No, they won't.
They MAY be a step forward in videogame theatrics; but in storytelling they play no part. Because storytelling is best conjured in the mind, not the body.

When you're telling the story of the greatest lighsabre fight, you may think you're cutting through the air in a ballet of death, but really you look like the Star Wars Kid.

Stories are best told round a roaring VDU, or fireplace equivalent, to a static audience. What you're describing, Greg, is interpretive dance.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
It could work if done right...I'm a bit curious when they'll break the mold and make motion-control something that people will be happy with.

Note* Don't quote to say "Never". You close-minded person!

[sub]On another note* RAWR! I'm must submit to the motion-control haters! They are the only rule! There is no such thing exploiting something to its full potential! RAWR!!!! HATE MOTION CONTROLS![/sub]

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Thunderhorse31 said:
Hopefully this is the only time I will ever, EVER have to say this, but:

Bioware, keep your dumbass ideas to yourself and stop talking out your ass.

Now, if you'll kindly get to work on ME3, I can go back to loving you unconditionally.
I agree whole-heartedly with this post and approve of it's message. Get to work Bioware!

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Why am I reminded of Yahtzee's article from a little bit back, where he talks about the industry's clunky "try to reach the awesome-future" motion controls as things that actually take you out of the game, because you have to do more than pressing a button before something happens on screen?

We've seriously got to wait until we've got The Matrix up and running, at the moment, motion controllers make you look like a berk.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Dam it Bioware! I found myself agreeing with all your recent comments but this is the exact opposite.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEEEEAAASE don't mention motion control and Mass Effect in the same sentence, let alone put it into practice.

Hopefully this attitude will resonate in their forums.