BioWare Pits Blonde Against Brunette in New FemShep Poll

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
Redhead. As I recall, red hair was the default FemShep in the second game, so that should be the case in this one.

Of course, I don't really have a female character in Mass Effect, so my opinion shouldn't matter that much.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
TheFPSisDead said:
am i the only one who thinks that hair style is awful?
It's going to get caught in an engine.

OT: I'd go with a blonde Shepard. Not because of some personal taste, more for aesthetic. If you have a incredibly colorful world and colorful clothes, give her black hair (See the most recent Alice game for an example). However, if you have dark worlds in a dark universe with dark clothes and dark plotlines then please, throw some contrast in there before someone mistakes it for an ink stain and wipes it away.

Sinclair Solutions

Jul 22, 2010
I find it amazing how important something as miniscule as hair color can be. First we had the Devil May Cry fiasco and now this. I don't know...never found something like this to be that important, but whatever floats other people's boats, I guess.

Kian2

Oct 20, 2010
Hmm, Redhead is in the lead, followed by Black hair, with dirty blond and plain blond fighting for last place. Interesting.

Redhead is best FemShep (but I play MaleShep anyway, Tali is best everything).

airrazor7

Nov 8, 2010
draconiansundae said:
Blindrooster said:
Gota go with the brunette. THe red haired one reminds me too much of Scarlett Johanson and the dark haired looks like a particularly angy chick in my economics class.
But... Scarlett Johansson is blonde.
Probably reminds the person of Scarlett Johanson's appearance in Iron Man 2 as the Black Widow, Natasha. She was very attractive as a faux red-head.

On Topic: despite whatever FemShep wins this, I hope they include all of the contest design choices as pre-made defaults in ME3. Black FemShep was my favorite in the first contest and it would be cool to use that design.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Damn... I was kinda hoping for the dark-skinned FemShep to get picked. Guess I got my hopes too high on that one.

Ah well... I still have my own FemShep to beat ass around the galaxy with.

This of course begs the question(s): was this really necessary? What was wrong with default Jane?

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Cmon Black Hair!

(does not 'get' all the love for chicks with red hair)

EDIT: Also...Red hair will be bred out within 100 years so since ME3 takes place almost 200 years in the future there shouldn't even be redheads anymore!

Somebloke

Aug 5, 2010
draconiansundae said:
I actually agree with you up until the very end. I just don't think that her appearance is very relevant. She is still badass, her looks notwithstanding. I don't think altering her face really changes how I personally perceive her character.
---snip---
Heh, I knew that was going to come back to bite me. :)

I'll just take up space one last time, to mention that that fierce and intense expression you mention, is actually part of the problem for me. It just doesn't look genuine to me, but "engineered", if you catch my drift: I have seen that exact expression gaze out at me from too many ads, trying to sell all sort of things, to be able to "buy" it. One could say it's the exact same "trained" expression as VanderShep's and that's not untrue, although, to me, his looks a little bit more weary and maybe a little bit more sincere, perhaps simply through that very weariness (...and lack of mascara ;) ).

Each of us will have their own impressions and I will indeed import my own Shepards, from the previous games, regardless of what the marketing figureheads look like.

It's just that it feels like an opportunity to discretely set an ever so small positive precedent, or rather; letting it continue setting itself, squandered, badly.
Hopefully, though, the condensed overall impression people remember from this whole hubbub, if any, will be like your's.

Harry Mason

Mar 7, 2011
Dear Escapist,

THIS IS NOT GAMING NEWS! Why in the name of Poseidon's thundering butthole did this make front page A SECOND TIME!? Please, I'm sure there are more relevant things going on in today's gaming culture!!!

Love,
-Harry Mason

On Topic: Go blonde Shepard!

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
So FemShep is going to be Keira Knightley one way or the other. Guess the general gaming public doesn't like 'em exotic.

Clonekiller

Dec 7, 2010
SODAssault said:
So FemShep is going to be Keira Knightley one way or the other. Guess the general gaming public doesn't like 'em exotic.
Who needs exotic when you got a major cash-in on the Mara Jade fan base? (Long blood red hair, green eyes, and a totally bad-ass complexion. Sound familiar?) Anyway, it's a game about fighting off alien invader machines with a multi-racial-ethnic-species team of fighters. But yeah, it's not exotic if the picture isn't of a minority. (What's that you say? Red hair is a minority gene? Naw, her skin is all that counts)

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Red-head, but...

WHY THAT FACE!? She looks like she's about to bite someone's face off, not save a galaxy -.-