Bioware, Please Make A Plus-Sized Female Dragon Age Character!

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Something Amyss said:
Please tell me how you came to this conclusion about fantasy material. Do muscles help my psychic powers?
Realistically speaking, I don't see why they wouldn't. Being physically fit enables us to maintain our mental faculties better under stressful situations, specifically combat. For example, two soldiers of equal intelligence but unequal physical fitness. The fit one will maintain his capacity for even simple mental tasks more easily since his body will be under less stress. The difference becomes more significant the more advanced the task becomes(and I'm assuming psychic powers falls somewhere between simple and advanced).

That said: fuck realism. I say the same thing to the people who ***** about boob plate and high heels being unrealistic for combat. Bring on the fat ninjas wearing pumps.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Ya know what? I don't really care any more.

It's Bioware. I'm honestly amazed they haven't done this yet...but with that said, I-

Does Liana consider herself to be plus-sized? Or am I just misunderstanding here?

Jingle Fett

Sep 13, 2011
You know, I vaguely remember a major outrage not too long ago over some female sorceress having big boobs and the developers getting called sexist and misogynist because of it.

Can't blame Bioware for wanting to avoid that type of controversy.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Johnny Novgorod said:
Like someone pointed out to you. That picture of her is rather old and her figure doesn't look like that anymore. Also, just a comment on your reply to Thunderous. Where the hell does "insecurity" come into play here? What about asking for more character types is insecure?

Lazule

Oct 11, 2013
Wat.

Why you need to wait for Biowere to make the character instead of just Cosplaying it? I just don't understand... No offense but you can cosplay as female big boobed Shepard if you want.

I don't understand why the industry/market needs to change or spend that extra so you can do a cosplay you can already do... Srysly. There are no excuses.

All works in the way of the offer & demand.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
LetalisK said:
Realistically speaking
But even before your "fuck realism" line, the problem is this isn't realism, it's fantasy. Fantasy where you can violate the laws of physics as we understand them.

The underlying question goes to that. How does he factually determine the reality of fictional, fantasy elements?

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I don't like the idea of restricting plus sized people to plus sized characters. I know that probably isn't the implication, but it is how it reads, to me.

I have seen a few plus sized do cosplays of more idealised body-characters, and they have done fantastic work on them. I have seen X-Men's Storm portrayed by white girls, and I have seen black Wonder Woman's.

Cosplayers pick someone they like, and dress up as them. If the ones I have seen don't let race or weight decide their options, then no one should.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Liana Kerzner said:
Bioware, Please Make A Plus-Sized Female Dragon Age Character!

I haven't done a Bioware cosplay for one simple reason: my boobs are too big.

Read Full Article

I feel like the headline is trying to make this post about body-type diversity in games, and I don't really feel like that was the ultimate point of your post and I think that's why there are a lot of hateful comments. I think the word plus-sized is the operating word her and I don't think that's the ultimate point right? it's one example. Although it is probably the most under-represented body type, it does have this association with over-weight when that's really not the intention. Tall or broad framed can be plus-sized without being obese, while women can have a larger chest and still be pretty thin. I think it's funny because you made this sort of broad range, but I wonder if you had published the article with the headline "Bioware needs more large chested female characters to cosply" you would have gotten a hilariously different kind of comment section.

That being said I think cosplay is a difficult world because it hasn't been to much of a consideration in the west until really recently. Sure it's existed but it was never big enough that developers would design their costumes to attract cosplayers. Japan has sort of had this custome for a long time now, so it's interesting to see if this will be something that western game developers will start to think about.

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
Okay so Bioware please include more females with bigger boobs and armor that fits them. Check.

(I am totally cool with this and fight anyone to the death who refuses the right of big boobed women to cosplay Bioware characters)

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Something Amyss said:
The underlying question goes to that. How does he factually determine the reality of fictional, fantasy elements?
If "he" is the poster, he, and I, ultimately don't. What we can express is preference or navel gazing. If "he" is the creator, it doesn't matter, it's his creation. It's just up to us whether we find it appealing or not.

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
You know what. Female Spartans from Halo used to be Plus sized. I hate that they changed the design for Halo 5. Same for Samus from Metroid she used to be Plus sized and now she's a tiny skinny supermodel.

Give me big beefy and dangerous looking women in combat roles. Not tiny waifs.

awdrifter

Apr 1, 2011
How about no. I don't need that much real life in my fantasy game. This SJW pandering is getting out of hand.

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
Logience said:
No one wants to be fat, and no one wants to see someone fat.

Real life is real life, but there's still the fact that fat people are objectively inferior human beings than fit people.
They're not talking about fat people, they're talking plus sized. A female knight should be plus sized.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Artorius said:
Goddamn!?!

and here i thought Escapists were free of sjw's and their inclusivity agenda >.>

you guys do realize that if you like to cosplay and like a character you body doesn't even matter?

i mean did this guy http://imgur.com/a/6kE1F

complain about it not having a burly bearded character? no... he GODDAMn COSPLAYED the character he wanted >.>
Bat Vader said:
Thank You. Sure there are some people out there that will complain about cosplayers not having the right body for the cosplay but I just tell them to fuck off. A few years ago I cosplayed as the Undertaker from Black Butler and I have a beard which I refuse to shave for any reason. Some people made remarks about how I was cosplaying wrong but I just told them to fuck off.
008Zulu said:
I don't like the idea of restricting plus sized people to plus sized characters. I know that probably isn't the implication, but it is how it reads, to me.

I have seen a few plus sized do cosplays of more idealised body-characters, and they have done fantastic work on them. I have seen X-Men's Storm portrayed by white girls, and I have seen black Wonder Woman's.

Cosplayers pick someone they like, and dress up as them. If the ones I have seen don't let race or weight decide their options, then no one should.

Here's the thing, I agree that cosplayers shouldn't be limited by their body type, but so does Liana in this article.

"I'm not a "cosplay for your body type" purist. If you like a costume, you should wear that costume. Period."

This is near the start of the article and I'm not sure how it comes off as "DON'T YOU LITTLE/BIG TURDS DARE PUT ON A COSTUME THAT ISN'T ORIGINALLY MADE FOR YOU'RE BODY TYPE!"

Also the rest of the article is talking about the difficulties of cosplaying out of body type (especially for someone with a larger bust size).

Some examples:
"That bikini ties around the neck, and on a woman with boobs above a certain size, that leads to welts on the skin over your spine because there's just too much weight. It's not pretty, and it hurts in a unique and special way."

"Similar issues plague the J-Lo-worthy plunging neckline of Vivienne's best-known dress. Tape is designed to secure, not defy gravity. There's nowhere to put an ample busom in that outfit, especially the way her boobs are spaced apart like the Grand Canyon."

"Leliana's Inquisition costume has a different issue for curvy ladies: she's wearing so many layers of draping chainmail and tunics that it just drops straight down and kills your killer curves. While her costume doesn't provide the same outright technical problems as Morrigan or Vivienne, you're not going to capture her spymaster air of sleekness and mystery if you look like you're wearing a chailmail mumu."

LostGryphon said:
Ya know what? I don't really care any more.

It's Bioware. I'm honestly amazed they haven't done this yet...but with that said, I-

Does Liana consider herself to be plus-sized? Or am I just misunderstanding here?
Johnny Novgorod said:
I think Liana and by extension posters keep using a certain word, and I don't think it means what they think it means.
But then that's what happens when you boil down language to imprecise Orwellian nonsense such as "plus-size". The speaker's own mental print is lost. A comparison all the more appropriate because Newspeak parlance asks of speakers to affix words such as "plus" for emphasis. We can't say "buxom" or "fat" anymore, god forbid you offend anybody, we have to be ambiguous and go for "plus-sized".
THIS is Liana. She's not "plus-sized", she's buxom.

Try searching for images under "plus-sized" and "buxom" and tell me what results match Liana's figure the most.

She also has the same body type as 99% of every female videogame character ever conceived.
I don't know what she's getting on about.
Why does this matter?
One of the examples of plus sided women Liana gave was Isabela. She isn't exactly "fat" either but she'd probably have a hard time putting on Morrigan's, Vivienne's, or Merril's outfits due to her proportions.

Also, what does this matter if they end up with the same problems mentioned in the article when cosplaying out of body type?

Problems the article talks about such as the ones put in above your posts.

Also, here is the video of hers she mentioned in the article.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/agents-of-cosplay/57436-Bioware-Cosplay?utm_source=latest&utm_medium=index_carousel&utm_campaign=all

The part about the problems she had cosplaying Morrigan is at 3:40 if you wish to skip the cool costumes.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
So you think a "hulk smash grr" physique is in the same boat as "overweight" so any fat guy can just jiggle the mantits around and cosplay as the iron bull, no problem.
Okay.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
I'm sorry Liana but I hate you a bit.

For fucks sake, dont ask people to design characters with cosplayers in mind. Then we end up with character design like final fantasy, and I do NOT want that in my games. Japanese visual game design have gotten dumber and dumber over the years to the point of absolute stupidity. They have a lot of cool stuff in japan, but their visual taste is not one of them. It breaks immersion so fiercly I have no words to describe it. An example would be the "stylish" gang in the new final fantasy trailer. I couldnt stop laughing for the entire trailer, and I would NEVER be able to play the game with a straight face.

Also, not to be a dick, but cosplaying like a slim person might be a good excuse to lose some weight. Not that I need all women to be slim as sticks, but as a counter to the blubbery movement in the US where its ok to be fat like a tub of lard because its just "you". It has nothing to do with sexism, just health. I have the same opinion about men. I dont need women to have long hair, big boobs and butts or anything of the sort, but I'm opposed to the normalization of overweightness.

Paragon Fury said:
So wait...Liana is considered "plus-sized"...when she has a body that most women would willing commit multiple homicide for?

What?
Hahahaha! Oh lawd, I didnt see a pic before I posted and I went away and assumed. If Liana is plus-sized I'm a talking frog. Plus-sized as far as I am concerned does not mean fatter than a super-model. Everything is fatter than a super model.

This whole discussion just got a lot more stupid.

theamazingbean

Dec 29, 2009
Karadalis said:
Im sorry but unless bioware decides to turn away from epic war stories and focus on the common day to day live of peasants in the dragon age world a "plus size" character makes no fucking sense.
Fat peasants doesn't really make any sense. You don't get fat out of thin air, you need a sustained caloric surplus, which was impossible for a large chunk of the population prior to the development of modern agriculture. Fat royalty or merchant class makes much more sense.

malnin

Nov 10, 2010
This isn't even first world problems, this is more like zeroth world problems, and were arguing about it. I'm sure if Bioware writers have an idea for a chubbier character they will do it, and their chubbiness may even be part of their story. But asking for a character to be modeled, animated, textured, written, voiced, given an arc, an ability set, a history, all just so you can dress up as a character you might not even like strikes me as an absurd level of entitlement.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
While I'm all for more diverse characters to make things more interesting, asking developers to make characters a certain way just so you can cosplay as them strikes me as beyond ridiculous.

If Bioware makes a character of any size it should be because they feel it's what fits the character, not because it makes it easier for someone to dress up and run off to a con or whatever event is going on that involves cosplay.

F4TK

Aug 18, 2014
This is a weird article.
Isn't the point of a Cosplay to dress as a character you like, rather than a character that physically resembles you?

Surely the costume is more important than some minor physical differences. If you go do a google image search for Tifa Cosplay you'll see Cosplayers from skinny to hollywood homely and every type of skin tone.