BioWare Responds to Mass Effect 3 Day-One DLC on Disc

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011

Can you DLC-haters repeating the same argument over and over not see?
We are wearied by your malcontent, your war-mongering.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Zachary Amaranth said:
Fappy said:
They claimed a few weeks ago that they did not start work on the DLC until the core game was finalized.
Which is weird, because now their answer is something akin to "of course we started on it, we HAD to!"
I understand some of the arguments in Bioware's favor, but they really shouldn't lie about it. It's bad PR and at the end of the day its just... wrong. I'd feel bad if I had to lie to fans like that.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
The.Bard said:
Where the hell did that come from?

Also, this makes sense, im still cool with it.

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
WanderingFool said:
The.Bard said:
Where the hell did that come from?

Also, this makes sense, im still cool with it.
It's a famous Lord of the Rings easter egg. If you freeze frame at exactly 2:35:23:15 in the Two Towers, you will see that still. Scroll copy and all.

Theoden could not stand those who judged him for loving legitimate Day 1 DLC.

Zachery Gaskins

Mar 29, 2011
Tell me, are you allowed to drive a car without a license or drive in the HOV lane with only a single passenger simply because it is feasible to do so?

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
The.Bard said:

Remember folks, if the brakes on your brand new Toyota are faulty, don't criticize unless you understand how cars are built.

T_ConX

Mar 8, 2010
The.Bard said:
That's right. Shut up! Stop complaining that your $60 purchase is an unfinished product! Keep consuming! Keep buying things! Don't question our logic!

How about this Bioware... How about I just hold off on buying the game until you get your act together and release 'Mass Effect 3: The Entire Fucking Game Edition'. Then you can have my money...

Zachery Gaskins

Mar 29, 2011
Crono1973 said:
The.Bard said:

Remember folks, if the brakes on your brand new Toyota are faulty, don't criticize unless you understand how cars are built.
Actually, this comparison would be more accurate if the person was complaining that their car had a spot in the dash for a high-quality stereo system that they didn't pay for, saying "WHY WOULD YOU HAVE ROOM FOR A STEREO THERE IF I DIDN'T PAY FOR ONE, OBVIOUSLY IF THERE'S A SPOT FOR A STEREO I SHOULD GET A STEREO FOR FREE"

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
Zachery Gaskins said:
Crono1973 said:
The.Bard said:

Actually, this comparison would be more accurate if the person was complaining that their car had a spot in the dash for a high-quality stereo system that they didn't pay for, saying "WHY WOULD YOU HAVE ROOM FOR A STEREO THERE IF I DIDN'T PAY FOR ONE, OBVIOUSLY IF THERE'S A SPOT FOR A STEREO I SHOULD GET A STEREO FOR FREE"
I was gonna respond to his hilariously melodramatic comparison of dlc to missing the brakes in your car, but your post does it all much more effectively than I could have! Good job ol' chap!

JeppeH

Nov 18, 2009
Zachery Gaskins said:
Crono1973 said:
The.Bard said:

No no no, It is like if the quality stereo was already wired in .. nice speakers and all, but the little on/off switch wasn't on your dashboard.
You have paid extra money for speakers and wires, development, design and installation time, but are not going to be able to use it unless you fork over 16,6% extra for the little nob. So no! Bad EA! Day-1-DLC proves that I get a less than 100% product.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
The.Bard said:
Zachery Gaskins said:
Crono1973 said:
The.Bard said:

I was gonna respond to his hilariously melodramatic comparison of dlc to missing the brakes in your car, but your post does it all much more effectively than I could have! Good job ol' chap!
The point is that you don't have to understand how something is made to criticize it.

Zachery Gaskins

Mar 29, 2011
JeppeH said:
No no no, It is like if the quality stereo was already wired in .. nice speakers and all, but the little on/off switch wasn't on your dashboard.
You have paid extra money for speakers and wires, development, design and installation time, but are not going to be able to use it unless you fork over 16,6% extra for the little nob. So no! Bad EA! Day-1-DLC proves that I get a less than 100% product.
Then ultimately it comes down to a matter of personal taste - do you feel that a stereo is an essential part of your car? If you do, then be prepared to 1) pay more for cars in general (i.e. $80 games), or 2) explain to a portion of the car-buying public why there's this unnecessary box in their car they didn't want yet were forced to buy.

Because let's face it - people spent man-hours developing that DLC, and you can't ask them to not get paid for that effort simply because you don't believe in it. I understand your underlying distrust in EA / Bioware management, but as a software developer, every time the consumer public craps all over a game because of what is likely a business decision it makes me feel like the guys chin-deep in the game code are being disrespected for the work they do, which is entertaining people. They are artists, and artists just want to be allowed to eat / sleep / enjoy life the same way others do. Management won't see a drop in sales as a criticism on their business practices, they'll see it as a misjudging of consumer demand and make less/different games. That hurts us all.

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
Crono1973 said:
The.Bard said:
Zachery Gaskins said:
Crono1973 said:
The.Bard said:

The point is that you don't have to understand how something is made to criticize it.
True, if your only point is to file a general complaint and throw a hissy fit that you want the DLC for free, then yes, you may gripe freely. Preferably somewhere else, but if that's the plan, knowledge is not required.

Sadly, that isn't the case here. Many good, smart people, such as yourself, are taking pieces of information and tying them together into something you want to see. A piece of this was on the disc, THEREFORE they must have ripped it out. Accusations are being thrown around without facts to back them up. If THAT is what is being complained about, then yes, you need to know more than one tiny modicum of information on how game development works if you don't want to look foolish, such as by comparing completely optional dlc to a set of requisite brakes on a car.

Somebloke

Aug 5, 2010
If we are to treat the game as a dim sum buffet, may I please trade my basket of Multiplayer Component for From Ashes, please?

Atlas13

Jan 4, 2011
Ah yes, that chart. I remember seeing it get bashed down for being so incredibly retarded. I mean, we all know if the team doesn't work on Day 1 DLC after the bulk of the game is finished, their asses will be fired faster than you can say Gaben. I mean, look at the masses of teams that got laid off before every single video game was released. It's a shame they didn't have the all knowing mind of EA to guide them through the only correct process of making a video game.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
Plenty of companies manage to release a full game WITHOUT all the DLC bullshit.

The Witcher 2 was made by a small company, and they gave out loads of free DLC.

And yet Bioware, backed by EA's monolithic funding, is unable.
Bioware just feels entitled to extra money and manipulates idiots with half-truths and by trying to play the victim.

Please. PLEASE. Stop trying to defend them. Stop spouting their PR talk.

If you keep defending these greedy practices, they will never improve. They will keep pushing.

Stand against it, and do us all (yourself included) a giant favor.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
once again this is degrading into people angrily stamping their feet. That chart does indeed sum up how the majority of game development works. Nothing is as clear cut as the fundamentalist view way too many gamers seem to operate on