BioWare Responds to Mass Effect 3 Day-One DLC on Disc

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
T_ConX said:
So for $10, I'm getting...

Mike Gamble said:
...the mission on Eden Prime, new dialogue options and conversations with [the squad member], new cinematics, the Prothean weapon, and new appearances for all squad members...
Doesn't sound like it's worth $10 to me... and Metacritic seems to agree!
It has been stressed many times before, if you don't think it's worth it then don't complain about it. Also, screw Metacritic. Those scores only come from more idiots complaining about day-1 DLC to give other idiots extra ammunition. Also, I can't tell you how stupid you look complaining about a DLC you don't even want. By all rights you shouldn't even be allowed to complain.

TRANSLATION said:
We wanted Javik to be a fully featured squad member, but one who was just detatchable enough that we could keep him out of the core game and charge $10 for him later.
Wrong. As it is stated in the article, he is on the disk as a barebone squadmate. Everything else that makes up Javik as a character had to be added later. Therefore, extra development took place which required paying the people who spent extra time on the game.

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
Regardless of where people stand on this issue; this is becoming a little out of hand. Not the 'Day 1 DLC', I mean the uproar about it.

carnex

Jan 9, 2008
lets go by the points

1) I have, on my desk, at this very moment, original, from Microsoft, installation disc for windows 7 containing every possible windows 7 variant from home to ultimate. Does that mean I am entitled to Windows 7 Proffesional or Ultimate? No, I bought Home premium and that is what I am entitled to regardless of the disc content.

2) Is "From Ashes" included on PS3/XBOX360 discs? If not (and that is what i'm getting from the internet) its a simple matter of logistics. Console games go through certification process from, not only the publisher but from console manufacturer too. That takes between 2 weeks and several months depending on many things as I'm told (not a game developer myself). PC doesn't need that extra time. So, by the time console version is approved, PC version is still in the works giving team extra time to either polish the game some more or cram some extra content in there. Given the state of the Mass Effect 3 polish obviously time went towards DLC implementation (game is buggy and unpolished as hell).

3) For a long time now, DLC is always planed in relative early stages of game production. It's especially obvious due to code/location/graphics etc hooks left in the final products. Fallout 3/New Vegas is most obvious of the bunch with location that scream DLC and dialogues referring to some places that you should visit yet don't really exist.

4) If you are someone who is invested in Mass Effect universe DLC is worth the price. Not because of the mission (which is just OK), or the gun (which is my favorite gun in the game. doesn't require ammo and, given the right usage, can dispatch several Cerberus soldiers in one long burst). It's value comes through the fact that Javik is a living, breathing, encyclopedia of Protheans that is delivered through some lectures, but much more through interactions with crew members and environment on missions. As someone who really likes the Mass Effect universe that is pure gold. But if that goldmine of info doesn't do much for you, you don't really loose anything by skipping it. It doesn't affect the core game at all.

scar_47

Sep 25, 2010
I have no problems with day 1 dlc as long as your not simply unlocking it, clearly technical issues come into play and certain assets may have to be pre built into the system to allow for future modifications or full functionality which is also fine. The dlc had to be downloaded for it to be functional so I'm fine with it costing more.

Murmillos

Silly Deerthing
Feb 13, 2011
I'm glad they started to clarify the issue slightly, but still yet not coming out all the way of why the a fully completed squad member was completed in November was not in the main game. Sure not all of his voice work and social interaction was in the "core game", but completed enough that his appearance and special ability was completed and in the main game.

And they could have performed an update that added in more of the ground work, but that would require the DLC to go thru the longer certification process much like the core game. But that's besides the point.

The problem is, there is just more then the "ground" work at play here. In ME2, Zaeed, Liara and Kasumi had "ground work". Javik was completed and ready to go; but held back for that $10 wallet grab. And the amount of interaction Javik has with rest of the squad and the places he visits is mind boggling. For that to happen, his whole script had to be planned out way in advanced for all of the voice work interaction that takes place. In ME2, Zaeed, Liara and Kasumi virtually have zero interaction with anybody else.

I understand "ground work" requirements; but EAWare have been attempting to perverse the truth that Javik was magically created in the 3 months during the certification phase by a 2nd DLC development team. We know this isn't the truth.

So why lie in the first place. EAWare should have just said "ME3 is a $70 game, and even then we'll still used a poorly photoshop'ed free stock photo for Tali because we can't be bothered to spend the budget to hire a real artist on Tali or pay a fan for their artwork."

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
I have no problem with day-one DLC. I do have a problem with them lying, saying development didn't start until after the game had gone gold, when it hadn't. and it isn't my place to tell them what is part of the main game and what isn't, but I do think that it's a little low to put something so important to the lore as DLC. Although it kind of hurts me more that something so important like the prothean being alive is (apparantly, I haven't actually played it.)kind of glossed over.

jollybarracuda

Oct 7, 2011
I think all the backlash against Bioware/EA could have been avoided had they simply not made the DLC character someone so important to the story. It can best be viewed in two different scenarios:

1) For people who bought the special edition, they unlock a space marine character that also allows access to an assault sniper and a new mission.

2) For people who bought the special edition, they unlock the last of the long-thought-extinct Prothean race with his own unique weapon and mission.

Obviously, the two scenarios are exactly the same; allowing access to a new character, weapon, and mission. However, I think everyone would agree that Scenario 1 is a lot less offensive to fans of the series.

Personally, I've never been up in arms about Day-1-DLC. Yah, ok, obviously they worked on it before the game was finished, but hey, it's hard times for everyone, not just the consumer. But making the Day-1-DLC offensive like this is what put the nail in the coffin for me, and now I won't be rushing out to buy the game and finish one of my favorite franchises. I was already being turned off by the Jessica Chobot news and the likes. Now i just pray that Assassin's Creed 3 doesn't do anything like this, or i might just stick to buying games off the Virtual Console.

OreoDoublestuff

Nov 18, 2009
carnex said:
lets go by the points

1) I have, on my desk, at this very moment, original, from Microsoft, installation disc for windows 7 containing every possible windows 7 variant from home to ultimate. Does that mean I am entitled to Windows 7 Proffesional or Ultimate? No, I bought Home premium and that is what I am entitled to regardless of the disc content.
While not surprised or incensed, that does remind me of IBM's infamous golden screwdriver; though, granted, hardware and software are two different things.

My only issue, as I have little problem with day one DLC, is how they've executed it. Many of us by BioWare games exclusively for the stories they tell. This Prothean is, or should be in my mind, a huge part of the lore which is motivating my purchase. For me personally, this is like taking out a game mechanic and selling it to me later.

The argument against this has been that he isn't important to the story line told in the game. My counter is, "Why play Mass Effect if not for the universe it takes place in?" Without the lore, Shepard's story is "Space Marine kills robot aliens," not exactly original. The richness of the universe, which the prothean culture factors heavily into, is what makes or breaks the game for many people. If you'll forgive the possible straw man, saying that the Prothean isn't important to the story is akin to dismissing a resurrected veteran of the American Revolution isn't important. Sure, they wouldn't factor into anyone's daily life, but they'd give context and insight to a country's history and an give a great deal of perspective on the situation said country finds itself in. For a studio that made its name and continues to pride itself on its writing, this argument doesn't hold up.

That said, my policy is, buy what I want, don't what I don't. Still have to finish ME2 again though...

satsugaikaze

Feb 26, 2011
I personally think Bioware implemented the on-disc data in order to make integration of the DLC easier when the time came for users to download and install it. So yeah, they'd planned this DLC early on enough for them to include it in the very last stages of actual development.

But at the same time, people seem to be interpreting all this as the needle's eye going around the camel rather than the other way around. Having now played it, I can say that Javik was much, much bigger and more plot-important than either Zaeed or Kasumi.
So why didn't they develop it earlier on? Who knows. Plenty of valid reasons to think of, since I don't think anyone here actually intimately knows the internal process of what Bioware's ME3 development team went though. It's all speculative.

carnex

Jan 9, 2008
@Murmillos
If you have played Mass Effect 3 with From Ashes DLC you would know that Javik doesn't really command any other character's time other than players.
If you leave the mission out, he only once demand's presence of other character. All other interactions are handled through intercom communications only, and are only triggered by visiting Javik himself. Also, his remarks on environment in missions are rarely met with an answer other then Shepard's. Much Like a Zaeed. It's all easily doable in late stages of production when writers are some of the art team are free. Or by some other team completely.

@Others
So your main complaint is that we are getting something worth wile for a money. Zaeed was pointless, that's why it was bonus, not DLC. Javik is non-essential yet valuable addition to the game. Like buying game guide which gives out details on culture that is pivotal to the story. If it was released as separate digital encyclopedia everyone would laugh at it at this price. And given the revelations Javik makes, i know many would rather keep living without the knowledge.

Not that I wouldn't like that it was part of a core game but I'm gonna give money for Day 1 DLC it better have value, and it better not ruin the game for those who don't wanna pay up. And this managed both quite nicely.

@midnightdown
I didn't say he is not important. He is treasure of knowledge. I said that he isn't core part. Just like codex. You can live happy without reading the codex and you can live happy without Javik. I'm glad i got From Ashes, but still a little sad because some of the mystery is gone.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
putowtin said:
Eri said:
You want I should show you the chart?

way to cut the chart off there, what did the rest of it offend you or did it disprove your argument?
What exactly was cut off?

I've seen that chart many times. It's always just that.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
putowtin said:
Eri said:

way to cut the chart off there, what did the rest of it offend you or did it disprove your argument?
Way to make sweeping accusations, what, did actually asking if I knew anything about the rest of it first hurt your chance to lob petty insults? I've never seen anything more than what I posted.

Wierdguy

Feb 16, 2011
Oh for the love of... seriously? Cant we just let this rest? Do we HAVE to bring this up AGAIN?!

Just fucking drop it already, its getting old and neither of you are changing a thing. Haters, the companies wont care about you and defenders... you will never convince the haters to change their oppinion.

Live and fucking let live.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Zachary Amaranth said:
Fappy said:
They claimed a few weeks ago that they did not start work on the DLC until the core game was finalized.
Which is weird, because now their answer is something akin to "of course we started on it, we HAD to!"
Tell me about it. When news of the day-1 DLC was first leaked, and people got upset, Bioware was quick to say, "Don't worry. We started work on the DLC long after the game was complete." Then, when the gamers found that most of the DLC was on disc, Bioware changed its story to, as you put it, "Of course we started it during production. We had to to assure 'quality'."

Yet, every time Bioware changes its story, the fans follow suit. Ever defending all of this.

Just look at the average thread on this topic. It's usually within the first dozen posts that someone whips out that handy "DLC production" chart.

A chart that Bioware tends to contradict with each new press release on the topic.

Geekeric

Sep 8, 2010
For me, the issue is greed. This whole DLC thing is fast becoming a cash-cow for the game industry, and we're getting on a slippery slope of watered-down, less-than-complete games being released just to milk profit from the market later down the line.
I'm sorry, but I just don't need any games on release day anymore. Bioware should beware that Mass Effect 3 doesn't turn up some major bugs; things could get really ugly. I'll probably buy it a year from now for $5 on Steam, with the DLC included and the bugs all patched up:)

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
Eri said:
Thanks for the laugh. Not the chart, but the reference. I was playing Dead Island with a friend the other day and we came across a weird chart on the wall, and I said "You want I should explain the chart?", and he had no idea what I was talking about.

OT: Can we stop this now? Every time something comes out, you people start bitching and moaning about the stupidest little things. Day 1 DLC isn't new, and neither is any argument against it. Save all your bitching for Assassins Creed 3, because we all know it isn't going to live up to your standards, and I'm sick of seeing Mass Effect 3 bullshit everywhere.

Jun 11, 2008
Zachery Gaskins said:
JeppeH said:
No no no, It is like if the quality stereo was already wired in .. nice speakers and all, but the little on/off switch wasn't on your dashboard.
You have paid extra money for speakers and wires, development, design and installation time, but are not going to be able to use it unless you fork over 16,6% extra for the little nob. So no! Bad EA! Day-1-DLC proves that I get a less than 100% product.
Then ultimately it comes down to a matter of personal taste - do you feel that a stereo is an essential part of your car? If you do, then be prepared to 1) pay more for cars in general (i.e. $80 games), or 2) explain to a portion of the car-buying public why there's this unnecessary box in their car they didn't want yet were forced to buy.

Because let's face it - people spent man-hours developing that DLC, and you can't ask them to not get paid for that effort simply because you don't believe in it. I understand your underlying distrust in EA / Bioware management, but as a software developer, every time the consumer public craps all over a game because of what is likely a business decision it makes me feel like the guys chin-deep in the game code are being disrespected for the work they do, which is entertaining people. They are artists, and artists just want to be allowed to eat / sleep / enjoy life the same way others do. Management won't see a drop in sales as a criticism on their business practices, they'll see it as a misjudging of consumer demand and make less/different games. That hurts us all.
Just to have the percentage mark up right. If a car cost ?30,000 then the equivalent mark up would be about ?1,875. I am not saying I am against all forms of Day 1 DLC and extras in collectors edition but that would be equivalent full game or car for buying the stereo.

Also to add again and always add in all of these threads please stop using the word entitled so frivolously. I know it is great people have learned a new word but it has started to lose all meaning like epic and do we really want to do that to another word.