BioWare Reveals Lair of the Shadow Broker DLC for Mass Effect 2

Freshman

Jan 8, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
It seems a little weird to me that with the fate of the galaxy still hanging by a thread and Cerberus, with Shepard and company at the tip of its spear, still the only group taking the matter seriously, everyone would be so cool with knocking off for a few weeks to help Liara settle a score. Am I really supposed to care about some kind of intergalactic gangsta throw-down when life as we know it is staring down the barrel of extinction?
Can anybody explain to me why everybody is so put off by the whole "the galaxy is on the chopping block and your doing WHAT?" It (to me at least) was made abundantly clear that you can't go through the relay to save the galaxy until you get some kinda relay-go-er-through-er thing.

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
Gah, I don't know if I'm gonna get this or not. I haven't even done any of Liara's quests since I can't even look her in the face after cheating on her with Tali. I know I can't just leave it as is. The way things are going, I'm not sure she'll even make it to the sequal, so I know I have to do something.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Well at least they are giving some attention to the other cast and it should be interesting to see the side of the story from Liara's perspective and hopefully resolve any loose ties for Mass Effect 3.
But still, I have to point out that I lack Xbox Live or any way to download DLC so it's kind of annoying to have them put actual plot important DLC out given I am among the members of the fanbase with no way to play it.
I hope it doesn't effect the story too much is my point. It would be lame if I just got some crappy default outcome for it like before just because I didn't (couldn't) download it.

Still, I was never that big of a fan of Liara to be honest, I liked Ashley and it annoys me that she got so little screentime in Mass Effect 2. One encounter then an email and then a final scene where Shepard stares at her photo (in my case) before the final mission. As far as I'm concerned the repair to emotional damage between Shepard and Ashley would make for good DLC and it would be nice to finally get some fan recognition coming my way. Maybe a mission involving Shepard helping the Alliance again or even just them meeting by chance and taking the time to mend their relationship.
Still, given that I'm in a minority when it comes to my choice of favourite female I don't see Bioware tripping over themselves to give me what I want anytime soon.

Still, like I said before I have no way to download DLC so it may actually be better to just wait until Mass Effect 3. After all Bioware said that the reason they were barely in Mass Effect 2 was because they had 'big roles' in Mass Effect 3 and I'd much rather see the relationship slowly rebuild over the course of the story in a way that feels fleshed out and believable then I would have it just be resolved in a two hour mission or something.

I'm choosing to believe that the reason Liara gets DLC but Ashley/Kaidan don't is because they have to get her plot out of the way so they can focus on the other two in the sequel. I know there will be complications in the story but I really hope they don't just pass on what I consider to be the best written romance in the series just because some angry youtube commentors get angry at the Horizon encounter because they can't handle the idea of a female character existing that ISN'T intoxicated by Shepard's greatness and of whom doesn't spend her entire time just feeding the players ego by excitedly listing all the things that make them great like a horny school girl.

... Okay that got a little off topic. Still, back to the point:

It looks interesting and it's probably going to keep the Liara fans happy which is a nice bit of fan recognition on Bioware's part but I won't be able to play it anytime soon so I hope it's not too major to Mass Effect 3 that I do play it for plot continuity and that I'm annoyed that it isn't Ashley (my girl) but at least it's something.
I still eagerly await Mass Effect 3.

Cyrax987

Aug 3, 2009
JeanLuc761 said:
Cyrax987 said:
Finally ME2 DLC that I actually want to buy!
I highly recommend Kasumi and Overlord; they're both extremely well made.
I'm tempted to buy Overlord but I heard Kasumi wasn't worth it. I'm very skeptical when it comes to DLC since I've felt cheated before.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Hmm, given that Liara wouldn't join Shepard because of the Shafow Broker, logically it would seem like she could now return to the party. Probablynot, but it seems like it'd be more plausible... So, who's going to use Garrus and Tali as the party members for these missions? You know, for nostalgia's sake.

r_Chance

Dec 13, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
It seems a little weird to me that with the fate of the galaxy still hanging by a thread and Cerberus, with Shepard and company at the tip of its spear, still the only group taking the matter seriously, everyone would be so cool with knocking off for a few weeks to help Liara settle a score. Am I really supposed to care about some kind of intergalactic gangsta throw-down when life as we know it is staring down the barrel of extinction?
Let's see. Firefights, close personal interactions... So, would I take some time off from saving the universe to help a close friend get some revenge? Why yes, I would.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Halyah said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Halyah said:
I've been waiting for this to happen. I wonder how having romanced her will affect the interactions.
Having romanced her in the first game, I think that only the initial reaction is effected. They meet, they kiss, but after that she seems to have the same dialogue.
Yeah I remember that part. I was more thinking of how her dialogue in the DLC will be like if she'd been romanced so. :)
My guess is not at all. If they didn't change the dialogue after the initial meeting, I don't see why they would for the DLC. Still, I guess it's possible.

Xaositect

Mar 6, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Rumors about Mass Effect 2 DLC based on Liara T'soni, the Asari biotic who just couldn't manage to squeeze "saving the galaxy" into her busy schedule, first EA [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100124-Rumor-Liara-DLC-Coming-to-Mass-Effect-2] said at the time that it wouldn't comment on "rumors or speculation," but it turns out that rumors were right: Liara is joining the team.

How her return will be handled isn't clear at this point but the DLC will apparently be based on the aftermath of Liara's struggle to recover Shepard's body from the Shadow Broker two years earlier. That story was detailed in the four-part comic book series Mass Effect: Redemption [http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Mass_Effect:_Redemption], which I didn't read but that, based on the brief encounter with Liara in Mass Effect 2, left some pretty hard feelings. Now Liara wants some payback and apparently Shepard and his team have decided to take a break from saving the galaxy to help her get it.

PLay the game more. At no point in ME2s (garbage) story is Shepard "saving the galaxy that is at risk". Shepard actually saves very little in ME2, just kills some mooks and a giant Terminator ripoff.

The game ends exactly where ME1 did, with the threat to the galaxy having "not yet arrrived".

Oh and its pretty obvious she wont be joining the team, but acting as a tag along NPC, and probably go back to something of little significance until ME3.

If she rejoins the team in ME3, fair enough. If she doesnt, congrats to Bioware for wasting certain fans time with this whole character arc, where she was supposedly "saved" for ME3.

Duncan Turner

Jun 10, 2010
If you look at the Bioware ME2 character page there are two empty spots left in the list on the right hand column.

http://masseffect.bioware.com/universe/squad/kasumi/

One is going to be Liara and the other? New person? Ashley/Kaiden?

I figure that the next person gets added in the bridge DLC connecting ME2 to ME3.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Uh-oh... my Erika better have Kelly go hid in the bathroom or something. Being sauteed by Liara's telekinesis is not what Erika calls a good time.

Looking forward to this one. I hope some armor and/or a weapon comes with it too. Maybe my Erika can finally have some closure.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
mattttherman3 said:
I try to get out, but they just keep pulling me back in. Although I honestly thought that the shadowbroker situation wouldn't be resolved untill ME3.
Yeah, that was my hope too. Seemed like the natural progression. God damn DLC, I hate it, mostly because I don't have the internet at home but also because by the time they release cool shit like this, I've already finished the game and sold it to buy a new one. Hopefully this'll be a big enough pack that BioWare will do what they did with Dragon Age: Origins: Awakening: Overpunctuation and release it on a disc so I can rent it.

HeySeansOnline

Apr 17, 2009
Well damn, when my xbox gets fixed I'll have this, as well as all prior DlC as well as the damned game itself to pick up. I'm glad to see Liara In a darker place, will probably add some more depth, throw In the possibility of laying the beatdown on the shadow broker and I'm In.

Jonatron

Sep 8, 2008
(SPOILERS, duh.)

Xaositect said:
PLay the game more. At no point in ME2s (garbage) story is Shepard "saving the galaxy that is at risk". Shepard actually saves very little in ME2, just kills some mooks and a giant Terminator ripoff.
If the collectors were not defeated then they would have abducted and poured earth's population into the "giant terminator ripoff" and done a re-run of the battle of the citadel. They did save the galaxy and once again postpone the inevitable.

Xaositect

Mar 6, 2008
Jonatron said:
(SPOILERS, duh.)

If the collectors were not defeated then they would have abducted and poured earth's population into the "giant terminator ripoff" and done a re-run of the battle of the citadel. They did save the galaxy and once again postpone the inevitable.
The collectors would have been annihilated before they could get anywhere near earth.

Sooner or later the alliance would have been forced to take notice and obliterate the collectors single ship used to abduct colonies.

The Mass Effect 2 story is a steaming pile of wasted, shooter oriented shit with hardly any effort put into it.