BioWare Says Farewell With Mass Effect 3: Citadel and Reckoning

Diana Kingston-Gabai

Aug 3, 2010
The most damning testimony I can make regarding ME3 is that I've played through the trilogy with three Shepards; the first two made it to the end (one before the Extended Cut, one immediately after it was released) and the third (my "Perfect" playthrough) just stopped after Rannoch because I just couldn't muster the desire to go any further. That's what the ending did, and why I still find it so revolting even after all this time: knowing that I have to sit through the Starchild's monologue again, I have zero enthusiasm for proceeding any further in the game.

Couple that with the fact that I found both "Leviathan" and "Omega" disappointing (the latter especially, given the hatchet job it did on Aria and the utter linearity of the storyline), and I'm probably going to avoid this DLC. I'd like to believe that BioWare still has some measure of competence when it comes to this franchise, but there's very little evidence to support that...

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
RT said:
I don't usually watch TV series. Last time I watched a TV series it was House and I stopped watching back when Season five was new.
For me the fucking kid... just it betrayed everything. I hated him even when he was real because he was a cheap emotion manipulating ploy, then I hated him even more when he continued to appear in Shepard's dreams, but the starchild... by god, it's so stupid. They pulled him outta the fucking nowhere, made Shepard ready to do what he says and the victory (?) is achieved through space magic. I mean, what? Did they hope to weird themselves out of this? The lack of closure was only icing on a cake, but the cake itself, filled with plothole cream was the Catalyst himself. I'm probably not making sense, but a person smarter than me summed it up pretty nicely: in the last minute the themes of whole trilogy take a 180, turning defiance into submission. I mean... Watch Mass Effect 3 Happy Ending mod. The removal of the Catalyst makes it all look so much better. And as for Shepard dying - I'm mostly OK with that, but still, doesn't the player who spent the whole trilogy with Shep and the whole third game collecting war assets deserve happy ending? Come on. And the endings... they kinda crippled me Mass Effect-wise. I didn't play a single Mass Effect game since. I reinstalled them numerous times and uninstalled them, sometimes right after installing.
There's that term again, "Space Magic".
You mean like how Infiltrators can literally cast the spell fireball? Or how Mass Effect Fields are essentially plot filling magic where the mana is Eezo? Biotics are mages, omnitools are made of light and are somehow sharp, omnigel could be used to do everything that Mass Effect Fields couldn't, Tech Armor is, again, solid light capable of stopping bullets somehow, Space Magic has been a staple of the Mass Effect universe since the opening credits of the first game, and you are just now complaining about it in the final game.

And as for Shepard dying, no, the player doesn't deserve Shepard living, since that takes away from the games whole purpose of showing how far Shepard will go to stop the Reapers. I've never played the Extended Cut ending out of principle of not entertaining the whims of a retarded fanbase whose bitching will never cease, and nothing got me as emotional in the entire series, save for helping the girl from Mindoir, than watching Shepard sacrifice himself on the catalyst to stop the Reapers. It was powerful and emotional and all the fans did was ***** about Shep dying and Star Child being space magic. Not all stories need a happy ending in the same way not every movie needs a big choreographed dance number.
The ending was fine, the Fanbase ruined it.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
RT said:
Radoh said:
There's that term again, "Space Magic".
You mean like how Infiltrators can literally cast the spell fireball? Or how Mass Effect Fields are essentially plot filling magic where the mana is Eezo? Biotics are mages, omnitools are made of light and are somehow sharp, omnigel could be used to do everything that Mass Effect Fields couldn't, Tech Armor is, again, solid light capable of stopping bullets somehow, Space Magic has been a staple of the Mass Effect universe since the opening credits of the first game, and you are just now complaining about it in the final game.

And as for Shepard dying, no, the player doesn't deserve Shepard living, since that takes away from the games whole purpose of showing how far Shepard will go to stop the Reapers. I've never played the Extended Cut ending out of principle of not entertaining the whims of a retarded fanbase whose bitching will never cease, and nothing got me as emotional in the entire series, save for helping the girl from Mindoir, than watching Shepard sacrifice himself on the catalyst to stop the Reapers. It was powerful and emotional and all the fans did was ***** about Shep dying and Star Child being space magic. Not all stories need a happy ending in the same way not every movie needs a big choreographed dance number.
The ending was fine, the Fanbase ruined it.
Yeah, I am. Why? Because there was a way of explaining it away. What, biotics? Oh, Eezo did it. Okay then. Plus, there's a limit to what amount of magic I can take seriously in a supposedly sci-fi setting.

Yeah, that's all they did. And this is right. Because Star Child is a deus ex machina in every sense of the phrase and was pulled out of the writers' biggest ass. Powerful and emotional? The only emotion I felt was "What the flying fuck am I watching?". Oh, wait, no, there was also "Did it all lead to... this?". And the ending provokes these emotions not just because it's unhappy, but because it's badly written. I'm okay if they killed Shep off, but did it well. And without that fucking kid. Really, removing him solves all the problems. The endings weren't fine. They can't be fine whether you're a part of the fanbase or a common observer. That's not a matter of an opinion, that's a goddamn fact. Lazy and rushed writing is just that.
Fine then, here you go: Star Child is explained by the catalyst running on Eezo.
Done, now the ending is better because apparently if you explain something with Eezo it makes everything better, never mind that Eezo doesn't exist and in itself is never explained.
Seriously, why is one space magic fine because it is explained away by something that doesn't get explained and the Star Child is such an affront when it got explained away by the catalyst which never gets explained?

Also don't ever under any circumstances pretend that your opinion on something is a fact, because as I've already said I enjoy it, and if your "Fact" is actually a fact then I couldn't possibly have enjoyed it.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
DRTJR said:
From the depths of space needs to return Zaeed, one of the most BAMF individuals to have ever walked.
Sadly with the recent death of Zaeed's voice actor I doubt he'll be making an appearance in this DLC. But, if they recorded his lines before his death and he is in fact in it... I might just have to fight back a few goddamn manly tears when it comes time to say "goodbye" to the character for good.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Perhaps Bioware should say farewell then disappear up their own arsehole. They used to be a great studio, now they're just a bad joke

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Legion said:
They claimed you could do that in Mass Effect 3 prior to it's release. Unless you chose Liara, Kaidan or Ashley you got a single line of extra dialogue or a brief cameo cutscene and that was it. Otherwise it was identical to starting the romance afresh in the game.
I rekindled my romance with Jack. We had a whole mission together, it was very emotional. Then we agreed to meet up on the Citadel later, in the club, presumably for some sexy times. She never showe up. I scoured that club from top to bottom several times, and she was never there. I have to assume it was a glitch, because it's less depressing than thinking she got cold feet and ran away...

eberhart

Dec 20, 2012
Radoh said:
Fine then, here you go: Star Child is explained by the catalyst running on Eezo.
Done, now the ending is better because apparently if you explain something with Eezo it makes everything better, never mind that Eezo doesn't exist and in itself is never explained.

Seriously, why is one space magic fine because it is explained away by something that doesn't get explained and the Star Child is such an affront when it got explained away by the catalyst which never gets explained?
Not sure if you noticed, but if you actually need explaining and inventing random stuff to make any part of the story coherent, then it means storytellers failed big time.

Just because you can't see the difference between Spacebrat Magic and ie. Biotics, that are nowhere near "magic" definition in ME universe, does not mean placing "=" between them is substantiated. No, "it feels similar" doesn't cut it.

Radoh said:
Also don't ever under any circumstances pretend that your opinion on something is a fact, because as I've already said I enjoy it, and if your "Fact" is actually a fact then I couldn't possibly have enjoyed it.
No one cares if you enjoyed it or not, your standards are your own problem (or a blessing). Despite what many would prefer, storytelling runs on specific definitions that have nothing to do with opinions. Yeah, sorry, I know it's easier to believe everything in this matter is about opinions - certainly nice excuse to (arbitrarily, conveniently) level playing field to the point where "I dis/like it" has the same value as anything else.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
eberhart said:
Radoh said:

Not sure if you noticed, but if you actually need explaining and inventing random stuff to make any part of the story coherent, then it means storytellers failed big time.

Just because you can't see the difference between Spacebrat Magic and ie. Biotics, that are nowhere near "magic" definition in ME universe, does not mean placing "=" between them is substantiated. No, "it feels similar" doesn't cut it.

Radoh said:
No one cares if you enjoyed it or not, your standards are your own problem (or a blessing). Despite what many would prefer, storytelling runs on specific definitions that have nothing to do with opinions. Yeah, sorry, I know it's easier to believe everything in this matter is about opinions - certainly nice excuse to (arbitrarily, conveniently) level playing field to the point where "I dis/like it" has the same value as anything else.
So then since they made Eezo up to support Biotics, that makes the entire story poorly written?
If they make a universe and then explain the internal logic of that universe, it does not make it poorly written, it's called fleshing out the lore and is a staple in making good stories.

As for stories following a strict set of rules, no they don't. There's really no end to which I can say that's simply not true. If all stories followed a strict set of rules all stories would have been told already.
Making a good story follows only quality of the way things are written, not the way it was written, no amount of claiming facts changes that.

Varrdy

Feb 25, 2010
Well...I suppose this is it, then. I knew that it would all come to an end one day and, despite everything, I'm still rather deflated. I'd feel this way regardless of the quality of the ending to the trilogy because for me it's been an emotional rollercoaster and, all things considered, a fucking blast!

I'm not really getting my hopes up for this DLC but I will still be getting it because I want to - a barmy notion, I know! Leviathan was alright and I will be playing Omega again before I pass my final judgement as I rushed my playthrough and wasn't feeling 100% at the time. I did get very excited for Omega but that was a mistake I think, which is a shame. There are things mentioned in the very limited blurb for Citadel that intrigue me though - Wrex, for one! While it's not been stated if he will be part of the squad, I would very much like for Wrex to join the squad again as he's brilliant! Some of the best lines in the Mass Effect trilogy are uttered by Wrex and the voice acting is bang-on - Steve Barr really nailed the character and brought him to life!

I also have to admit that I like the idea of having a few little "asides" and the promise of customisable digs on the Citadel. While it's busy-work and could be considered a distraction, I kinda like little things like this in other games such as Skyrim (they just need to sort out Hearthfire's many bugs) so I shall see how that pans out. Yes I could go bonkers about the fact it's just a "distraction" from the games bigger issue(s) but I am not going to...because I can't be arsed and I don't want to be part of the argument today.

Do I think it will be sub-par? I try not to be negative about things before they have a chance to present themselves but I have to say that, to my eyes, the focus for ME3 DLC has been on the Multiplayer and it has been to the detriment of the single-player DLC. Mass Effect 2's DLC were not lumbered with such problems and although I thought Firewalker was a bit "meh", Overlord, Lair of the Shadow Broker and Arrival were all brilliant. The three single-player DLC's for ME3 can best be described as "good but not great" and definately fell short of the mark, even allowing for the high bar that ME2's DLC set. I don't know the reasons for this and the debate could rage on for years but the sad fact is that anything to do with Mass Effect is now tainted and, whether fairly or not, the ultimate blame for this rests with BioWare and EA. I will be doing my best to ignore this and, as I did with From Ashes, Leviathan and Omega, judge Citadel on it's own merits and failings accordingly.

Short version - I will be getting Citadel but my optimism can best be described as "restrained".

Varrdy

Feb 25, 2010
Oops! Just realised I forgot to mention From Ashes in my last post! My excuse is that I got the Collectors Edition and so it felt more like an integral part of the original game and not a DLC.

Honest!

Anyway - sorted it now!

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
major_chaos said:
Adam Jensen said:
No one seems to be asking those questions. It's like they've all been indoctrinated.
Yes because anybody who has the nerve to like something I don't is blatantly a brainwashed fanboy.
The issue here is that they thank the developers for letting them pay without knowing what they're getting. They can't like the DLC because they don't know what they're getting. The only thing that sounds interesting is the combat arena. But I'm still not gonna blindly throw my money away without knowing what I'm getting for it.

eberhart

Dec 20, 2012
Radoh said:
So then since they made Eezo up to support Biotics, that makes the entire story poorly written?
Um, why? What does have that to do with anything? Story is poorly written if you have to invent explanations or fill holes on your own. If specific parts are inconsistent. If they contradict earlier lore or simply ignore it. Why, yes, Mass Effect has impressive lore. Which makes nonsense that is being pushed past it even more sad.
Radoh said:
If they make a universe and then explain the internal logic of that universe, it does not make it poorly written, it's called fleshing out the lore and is a staple in making good stories.
Except that they don't. Player has to do that for them, because they either didn't give a damn or simply had no idea, with different teams being oblivious to what was written by earlier groups. Or "clarity" requirement was something they didn't learn so far.

Please, don't even mention internal logic, as the whole ending is close to the opposite of it - on its own and regarding earlier events.

Radoh said:
As for stories following a strict set of rules, no they don't. There's really no end to which I can say that's simply not true.
You mean "do not use deus ex machina just because", "plotholes are bad", "make sure your story has some sense in terms of the universe it is placed in" are just optional? And these are just kindergarten level ones.
Radoh said:
If all stories followed a strict set of rules all stories would have been told already.
Rubbish. Rules do not exist for their own sake - they serve one major purpose: to make stories reasonably edible. Just because cooks respect certain rules does not mean every meal has been invented already. It does, however, mean they are that much safer from serving spoiled eggs.
Radoh said:
Making a good story follows only quality of the way things are written, not the way it was written, no amount of claiming facts changes that.
Uh, what?

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Kermi said:
Are people still whining about the fucking ending? Holy shit, you'd think Bioware made you watch while they fucked your mothers or something.
Word.

I'm still enjoying the multiplayer, which hopefully will be fleshed out more in the next Mass Effect, because, let's face it, there will be one. Free MP DLC anyone?

Adam Jensen said:
major_chaos said:
Adam Jensen said:
No one seems to be asking those questions. It's like they've all been indoctrinated.
Yes because anybody who has the nerve to like something I don't is blatantly a brainwashed fanboy.
The issue here is that they thank the developers for letting them pay without knowing what they're getting. They can't like the DLC because they don't know what they're getting. The only thing that sounds interesting is the combat arena. But I'm still not gonna blindly throw my money away without knowing what I'm getting for it.
I'm pretty sure they're thanking them for the entire trilogy, not just this DLC. Even so, some people are more attached to this franchise than others.

Ren_Li

Mar 7, 2012
You know what?
I'm pretty on board with this. Spending more time with the crew is EXACTLY what pissed me off about Omega. (AKA, the fact that they weren't involved and didn't even have anything to say back on the ship.)
And it's one of the things I liked about Leviathan.

And as much as I still detest the ending, I refuse to let it ruin what Mass Effect is to me. It's an incredible journey with a bunch of totally awesome characters. Yes, the ending is abysmal. But I love the rest of Mass Effect enough to balance that out.
(Plus, I gotta ask. Why is everyone so fixated on the Catalyst AI? That is NOT the only part of the ending that's bad. "Hey let's run towards a Reaper hoping to get into a beam which may kill us"? "Hey yes this beam uses brand new teleportation technology that's a thing now let's move on"? "Oh hey a single man can now magically control my entire body (but not my mouth)"? Seriously. I can accept the AI more easily than that crap. Not it's "choices", but it's existence makes more sense to me than the things I just mentioned.)

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
lancar said:
Ilikemilkshake said:
I dunno how I feel about this. On the one hand my plan was to wait for all the DLC to come out so I can play through it all at once. Buttttt on the other I've basically lost all enthusiasm for the series after the ending and given the quality of the DLCs given the cost I don't think it'll be worth it. I'll probably have to wait for more details before I get excited.
I know exactly how you feel. That ending has completely sapped my appreciation for the whole trilogy. It's hard to imagine one single misstep like that could destroy a whole series... They can release DLC until the end of days, and it still wouldn't fix anything.

I mean, I've tried. I've really tried to get into it again. And when I do, i find that the combat is still really good, the action is still good, and the story is still good.... until I think about what awaits at the end of the journey, and all enthusiasm just drains away into nothing.

I've seen a lot of bad endings in games over the years, but never has one caused me to feel like this about a whole franchise before.
Yeah It's really weird. I went in to ME3 just after having replayed the first two games for the 8th time and my plan was to replay all three again afterwards. However since the ending I haven't had the heart to go back, it all just seems so futile. If I ever do work up the will to replay them I might just head-canon a better ending.

I really hope for ME4 (or whatever they call it) they make it a more character driven game. If they stick to character development, doing small personal plots then they might achieve something great. I'm convinced that they can't do a good overarching plot on the scale of saving the universe, it's clear they were making it up as they went along which is why we had the terrible arsepull of an ending.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
Tank207 said:
DRTJR said:
From the depths of space needs to return Zaeed, one of the most BAMF individuals to have ever walked.
Sadly with the recent death of Zaeed's voice actor I doubt he'll be making an appearance in this DLC. But, if they recorded his lines before his death and he is in fact in it... I might just have to fight back a few goddamn manly tears when it comes time to say "goodbye" to the character for good.
They did. One of the producers tweeted that they had recorded lines with Robin Sachs for the DLC before he passed away.

I'd have thought people would be happy with the idea of moving on from the ending. All it does is start arguments and generate hostility and they already drew their line in the sand 8 motnhs ago with the Extended Cut. This looks like it's going to be more focused on the characters, which was what everyone loved about the series.

Whitbane

Apathetic...
Mar 7, 2012
Come on, guys, can't we get over that ending? It was terribly done, but the rest of the game is still (mostly) an awesome experience. I'll probably pick up the GOTY edition with all the DLC once it's released.