BioWare Tackles Strategy with Command & Conquer Generals 2

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
I' not going to blame Bioware for any of this when it's a total crapfest. This reeks of EA putting it's hard where they don't belong. Leave Bioware to do what they do, which doesn't include making RTS's

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
RatRace123 said:
I hear you on EA seeming to stamp the Bioware name on everything lately as if it magically prints money, I'm half expecting EA to rename itself "EA Bioware" soon.
Considering Bioware is the only branch of EA that many people don't hate yet it's hard to blame them for slapping their name on every new or re-branded team they have. And it seems to work too because I've already seen people getting excited for this because Bioware is making it but not noticing that it isn't the same team that made, well, every Bioware franchise that people love.

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
plugav said:
I'm predicting EA will open a BioWare Sports studio in no more than six months. Nice way to butcher a brand.
This statement made me physically ill. I think I need to lie down.

seraphy

Jan 2, 2011
This just sounds like EA are trying to squeese every penny from Bioware brand that they possible can. I can't really see this doing anything else but damaging Bioware name if game ends up not being very good.

I wonder how long it takes when name Bioware means nothing and brand is bleeding in some ditch somewhere.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I have doubts about bioware being able to do an rts game well, plus I'm sure that ea will fuck it up somehow, they have been doing allot of that lately and I don't see them stopping it anytime soon since they don't seem to trust their customers at all.

PhantomEcho

Nov 25, 2011
I, for one, have been hoping they would make a sequel to this game for YEARS... if only because I wanted to avoid the story-destroying travesty of a game that was C&C 4. No such luck.

Still, folks seem to forget the ONE crucial thing about Generals.

It wasn't at all about being a spin-off or a play on the hype of our 'terrorism fears'. It was about EA creating a storyline in which it could exercise some creativity and freedoms that were otherwise limited by the Tiberian and Red Alert universes.

It's their own original arc... and it was a -DAMN- fun game.

If they stay true to those old-school C&C roots... I have no doubts that Generals 2 will be a very fun game. They've seen how poorly received a radical departure like C&C 4 was. With any luck, they've caught on that we don't WANT them to reinvent the wheel.

We just want them to refurbish the tank sitting on top those wheels.

The Critic

Apr 3, 2010
Well, Generals is my absolute favorite CnC title (Red Alert 3 comes in at a distant second), so I'm really happy for this. To this day, I still pop in my copy of Generals to get a bit of play time in from timt to time. I only hope that this game is a lot more along the lines of the original Generals, where base-building and resources gathering took a bit more thought, and gameplay was a tad more strategic, rather than like Red Alert 3.

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
Now when I see the Frostbite 2 engine was used in a game. I have the weirdest feeling it gonna look really good, yet the gameplay is gonna be either whatever to bleghhhhhhhhhh.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
SonicWaffle said:
shado_temple said:
Lost In The Void said:
Well EA butchered the C&C franchise and the Red Alert franchise, might as well make it a 3 for 3 job right?
You didn't even like the original Generals? I thoroughly enjoyed that one.
It was a fun game, but in Skirmish maps you were pretty much going to dick on everyone if you played as the USA. They just got so very, very much money from the airdrops while the Chinese stole it from the internet in tiny bite-size pieces and the terrorists did...well, I don't remember, but I do recall that their money-making upgrade was "worker shoes" as opposed to the USA's "continuous airdrops of fat wads of cash".
The chinese also got it from a unit that was far easier to hide than a building, Though in zero hour they got a building where you could garison your hackers, thing is hackers gained ranks fast and the ammount they got went up exponentially, I've dominated financially as the chinese, it's all about mass hackers and hiding them, not to mention they could disable vehicles and such. GLA got it from general upgrades that made them get bounty money on every kill, and they got the black market buildings that generated some income.

So the airdrop thing isn't really OP if you know how to play the other groups well enough...

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Obsidian doing south park, bioware doing rts... Is this the start of a trend where devs go outside their comfort zone in an effort to expand their creative horizons?

Im scared of change and what is new terrifies me :S

But past the initial shock and mix of emotions, I'm actually quite on board with this and am curious to see what bioware does.

I've been really let down by Da2 and to an extent, Me2 (think its a good game for what it tries to do, but seems representative of a shift by bioware towards streamlining and fpsing their titles, also both games have horribly constructed plots and stories, but in the case of me2 its faults were patched over by its strengths to become a good game) and what I've read in the me3 leaks didn't fill me with confidence about that game either, but this could be a fresh start from bioware and it's refreshing to look forward to a game from them that is completely free of the prejudice (both positive and negative) of their past games (see the da2 debacle....)

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Jaeger_CDN said:
Please Please Please Please don't force this on the travisty known as Origin

I'm glad they're remaking this game but may the gods of Skyrim (or whomever) look down and not force it as an Origin SP and/or MP exclusive (which I'm sure EA will do to make it a more 'functional' platform)like BF3 is.

Of the C&C universe, I really only liked RA2 and Generals and the RA universe was tainted with the last version.
Do you complain when Valve games are only distributed on Steam as far as digital distribution is concerned?

No?

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
shadowmagus said:
plugav said:
I'm predicting EA will open a BioWare Sports studio in no more than six months. Nice way to butcher a brand.
This statement made me physically ill. I think I need to lie down.
Er... Sorry for that, I meant no harm. I'm just confused and a bit upset by EA's strategy to name everything BioWare.

Daymo

And how much is this Pub Club?
May 18, 2008
Frostbite3789 said:
Jaeger_CDN said:
Please Please Please Please don't force this on the travisty known as Origin

I'm glad they're remaking this game but may the gods of Skyrim (or whomever) look down and not force it as an Origin SP and/or MP exclusive (which I'm sure EA will do to make it a more 'functional' platform)like BF3 is.

Of the C&C universe, I really only liked RA2 and Generals and the RA universe was tainted with the last version.
Do you complain when Valve games are only distributed on Steam as far as digital distribution is concerned?

No?
But that's Valve and they are the greatest, bestest, fantastic, super perfect, not for profit, child saving charity ever, so they are allowed to do it.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
shado_temple said:
Lost In The Void said:
Well EA butchered the C&C franchise and the Red Alert franchise, might as well make it a 3 for 3 job right?
You didn't even like the original Generals? I thoroughly enjoyed that one.
I loved the original Generals, thats why I'm so damned pessimistic about this one

Mantonio said:
Lost In The Void said:
Oh come on now, Red Alert 3 was awesome.

Also, since Bioware is making it, I expect a large part of the game to be romance options.

And your commander turns out to be totally gay for the Chinese commander.
The campness was there, but I dunno, it seemed to miss a lot of the original tone that RA and RA2 had. The art design wasn't my cup of tea either, it was like the colours were too bright, I know sounds like a retarded complaint, but that really did annoy me. Finally the co-op in every damned level was the straw that broken the camel's back for me. It was like something that for every piece I liked, more was dropped in that I didn't.

Amnestic said:
Lost In The Void said:
Wah? I'll grant you that C&C4 was pretty shit (though I commend them for at least trying something different even if it failed utterly), but Red Alert 3 was awesomely over the top camp funtimes.
As I said, the campness was there which I didn't mind at all, but the rest of the game just wasn't fun with all the little additions into it. And I wouldn't commend EA for anything in C&C 4, really the act of practically removing base building isn't an innovation, its just plain annoying.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
I found the first generals funnier than any of the other C&C games for one reason, the angry mobs the GLA had xD

I just spammed them because it was a funny fight, every fight.

more on topic, I'm glad they are doing another one, maybe bioware will fix the problems that EA put in the last ones. -.-

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
While I do love the first General game and Zero hour but I'm unsure about this seeing this is the first time Bioware had work on a RTS game before. Still I'm not going to judge it now from a teaser trailer until I see more content from it.

Furism

Sep 10, 2009
The company founded by Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk earned its name peddling high-quality role-playing games for the PC audience and have been successful transferring that mojo to the mainstream with Mass Effect and Dragon Age. EA must think BioWare can work that same magic again for the slumping Command & Conquer franchise.
Come on, they can't even work the same magic even on their core market anymore. They are gone were the big bucks supposedly are. BioWare is not the same company than it was even 5 years ago, and not for the best as far as I'm concerned. Stamping their name on an array of products does nothing for me.