BioWare Tackles Strategy with Command & Conquer Generals 2

Jaeger_CDN

Aug 9, 2010
Frostbite3789 said:
Jaeger_CDN said:
Please Please Please Please don't force this on the travisty known as Origin

I'm glad they're remaking this game but may the gods of Skyrim (or whomever) look down and not force it as an Origin SP and/or MP exclusive (which I'm sure EA will do to make it a more 'functional' platform)like BF3 is.

Of the C&C universe, I really only liked RA2 and Generals and the RA universe was tainted with the last version.
Do you complain when Valve games are only distributed on Steam as far as digital distribution is concerned?

No?
My problem with distribution is not really how it's done, but just not restricted to going through Origin like BF3 which IMO is a horrible experience and (for me) a game breaker. Not to mention, god forbid you say (or are quoted by someone) something thats remotely 'bad' on their forums they lock you out of everything EA you own whether you bought it through Origin or anywhere else.

Steam has that aspect right, you can be a down right troll on their forums you get banned from that but unless you are caught cheating on one of their VAC games you are only locked out of the MP portion of the game.

danyy2009

Dec 6, 2010
Generals by far is the best game in the series, except maybe CC:RA2, not the original one, but with zero hour. Not because of the campagin, that was boring as hell, but because of the excellent and balanced multiplayer, which is so good that even today i would prefer to play it with my friends over any other RTS since then. It is so easy to learn, while challenging to master, makes it a perfect RTS game to play with others.

klasbo

Nov 17, 2009
TheDooD said:
Now when I see the Frostbite 2 engine was used in a game. I have the weirdest feeling it gonna look really good, yet the gameplay is gonna be either whatever to bleghhhhhhhhhh.
That's because the people working at DICE only use consoles in development. Have you noticed that every single screenshot on the BF blog is from the xbox360? Developed for the PC, my ass...

An RTS simply can't be a console port, so we'll get a physics and lens flare jerk-off that runs at 20 frames per second, but this time without the pure incompetence of the sluggish and slow console-port gameplay.

The SAGE engine is fine! Why wouldn't you just update SAGE? Gaaahh.

Lost In The Void said:
Amnestic said:
Lost In The Void said:
Well EA butchered the C&C franchise and the Red Alert franchise, might as well make it a 3 for 3 job right?
Wah? I'll grant you that C&C4 was pretty shit (though I commend them for at least trying something different even if it failed utterly), but Red Alert 3 was awesomely over the top camp funtimes.
As I said, the campness was there which I didn't mind at all, but the rest of the game just wasn't fun with all the little additions into it. And I wouldn't commend EA for anything in C&C 4, really the act of practically removing base building isn't an innovation, its just plain annoying.
Shhhh. C&C4 doesn't exist.
It hurts me. Please make it stop.

TheGunrun and EyEamZero was what made RA3 fun. Baaad Microoo! Detrimental! Absolutely ridonkulous!

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Next up, Bioware Online Multiplayer FPS. Or Bioware Beat 'Em Ups.

I'd say the Bioware 'name' is becoming so diluted it won't be long before it's entirely meaningless. Sure Blizzard made the jump from RTS to MMO, but that's Blizzard.

Anyway, strikes me as an odd choice. Surely Bioware's writers would have more fun with the Tiberium or Red Alert settings?

thahat

Apr 23, 2008
Otaku World Order said:
I must have missed all those people asking for a sequel to a ten-year old spin-off game that nobody really cared about in the first place.

It's almost like making a sequel to Resident Evil Gaiden.
well it IS true, pretymuch everyone i know that plays strategy games wanted a second command and conquer generals. hell if they re made the thing wit hthe frostbite engine and fancy graphics AND KEPT IT EXACTLY THE SAME otherwise. it would still sell.

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
Lost In The Void said:
The campness was there, but I dunno, it seemed to miss a lot of the original tone that RA and RA2 had. The art design wasn't my cup of tea either, it was like the colours were too bright, I know sounds like a retarded complaint, but that really did annoy me. Finally the co-op in every damned level was the straw that broken the camel's back for me. It was like something that for every piece I liked, more was dropped in that I didn't.
I think I can put my finger on it. The short version - Red Alert 3 was the result of EALA attending a KKK Rally while smoking pot. Thus, we got a C&C Game that was basically racism and crack rolled together, with nothing to do with the mainline continuity.

I still maintain while C&C 4 screwed up it's delivery, it didn't screw up harder than RA3.

OT: I find this news mixed. On the one hand, I expect another Controversy Explosion over this - China will immediately ban the game, it may need another remarket in Germany - and unless the story is handled well, the American press are going to be poking more questions given (from what I understand of the world stage) we've just pulled out of Afghanistan and we're doing Mop Up in Libya. Generals was always mired in controversy.

On the other, it's a new studio. I think it's fair to give them a chance.

Oh, and for the OP - this is NOT BioWare, or at least the BioWare we know. It's a differant studio with a differant work ethic (rumor has it the old boss for the M&M series has a job there). This is NOT the BioWare that makes Dragon Age, Mass Effect or Old Republic. In fact, the studio was originally called "Victory Games". The renaming to "BioWare Victory" comes as a recent development.

thahat

Apr 23, 2008
danyy2009 said:
Generals by far is the best game in the series, except maybe CC:RA2, not the original one, but with zero hour. Not because of the campagin, that was boring as hell, but because of the excellent and balanced multiplayer, which is so good that even today i would prefer to play it with my friends over any other RTS since then. It is so easy to learn, while challenging to master, makes it a perfect RTS game to play with others.
also, jarmen kell. if that is not awsome enough jarmen kell on a motorbike. with explosives.
XD

TheBelgianGuy

Aug 29, 2010
AM I the only one who noticed there are only 3 colours on these screenshots: brown, gray, and yellow explosions?

shado_temple

Oct 20, 2010
Lost In The Void said:
shado_temple said:
Lost In The Void said:
Well EA butchered the C&C franchise and the Red Alert franchise, might as well make it a 3 for 3 job right?
You didn't even like the original Generals? I thoroughly enjoyed that one.
I loved the original Generals, thats why I'm so damned pessimistic about this one
Just wanted to make sure, because EA published the original as well.

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
plugav said:
shadowmagus said:
plugav said:
I'm predicting EA will open a BioWare Sports studio in no more than six months. Nice way to butcher a brand.
This statement made me physically ill. I think I need to lie down.
Er... Sorry for that, I meant no harm. I'm just confused and a bit upset by EA's strategy to name everything BioWare.
The reason it makes me sick is because it's probably true. EA is beginning to throw Biowares good name all over the place and the consequences are likely to be very very bad.

Felipe Nurwandi

Oct 30, 2011
You guys forget to mention that all BioWare's games will include the Frostbite2 engine.

BioWare NBA2012 (With Frostbite2)
BioWare Mass Effect 4 (With Frostbite2)
BioWare Star Wars the Older Republic (With Frostbite2)
BioWare Baldur's Gate: Frostbite (With Frostbite2)
BioWare Dragon Age III (With Frostbite2)
BioWare and DICE's Battlefield 4 (With Frostbite2)
BioWare and Danger Close with Dice's Medal of Honor 2 (With Frostbite2)
BioWare NFL2012 (With Frostbite2)

DarksideFlame

Feb 9, 2011
I'm very curious to this new idea and don't play much RTS's except occasionally SW: Empire at War

I think I'll say that I'm cautiously optimistic

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
PC Exclusive? Lame. At least port it to consoles with controls like CnC3 Kanes Wrath had.

It ain't perfect but it's better than nothing.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
shado_temple said:
Lost In The Void said:
shado_temple said:
Lost In The Void said:
You didn't even like the original Generals? I thoroughly enjoyed that one.
I loved the original Generals, thats why I'm so damned pessimistic about this one
Just wanted to make sure, because EA published the original as well.
I know they did, it was back in the early days of their C&C takeover and I was somewhat hopeful. Shame how fast that died

danyy2009

Dec 6, 2010
thahat said:
danyy2009 said:
also, jarmen kell. if that is not awsome enough jarmen kell on a motorbike. with explosives.
XD
There is never been an RTS game with such an awesome faction as the GLA, like seriously, what can top a faction that has suicide bombers on motorcycles, an angry mob armed with ak 47's, and a freaking bus full of rpg's!?

Lhianon

Aug 28, 2011
if they really want to milk the c&c franchise, why not let the guys at petroglyph (which was founded by ex-westwood designers) do it? sure, petroglyph wasn't eaten by ea so far, but i am sure they could make some deal while remaining independent.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Never really got into the C&C games, not sure why, but 3 just felt weird when I played it. No, my question is this: Will there be a BFME3 after The Hobbit comes out?

thahat

Apr 23, 2008
danyy2009 said:
thahat said:
danyy2009 said:
XD
There is never been an RTS game with such an awesome faction as the GLA, like seriously, what can top a faction that has suicide bombers on motorcycles, an angry mob armed with ak 47's, and a freaking bus full of rpg's!?
they did also have awsome music. and cammo. and you had to be GOOD with them to win XD. also damn sneaky or balls out suicidal ( also the only game ever where i could rig up a bomb next to a tower to blow it up and have it topple onto enemy units. )

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
RTS do work fine on consoles. Halo Wars worked fine, and Endwar worked damn well too.

Hell, I'd take a refined version of Ednwar's Voice Command System over a mouse and keyboard anyday. Its just too bad not enough people bought Endwar to warrant them making a sequel to further refine the game.