BioWare Trims Mass Effect 3 Squad to Focus on Deeper Relationships

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Meh I only ever used Miranda and Mordin. Miranda because her power increased my damage and Mordin because he was awesome and almost never died.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
I dont care about Thane , Miranda , Jacob , Jack , Kaiden (Ashley died) Samara (Morinth wasnt recruited)

characters Id like but no biggy but would be better if kept Kasumi , Zaeed

Characters I would very much like in the Squad Grunt , Legion , Mordin , Liara , Wrex ,

Characters that MUST be in the game Tali , Garrus ,

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
So, we're getting an even more dumbed down combat system and now Bioware is kinda tired of writing, so they're just going to put in fewer characters? Yeah, I'm seriously rethinking my Bioware Fanboy status. I figured DA2 was the bottom of the barrel, a fluke, a temporary lapse, but apprently it's all about faster development cycles, less content and more pandering to the brainless shooter-infested market. Yeah, I think I'm a bit bitter...

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Jandau said:
So, we're getting an even more dumbed down combat system and now Bioware is kinda tired of writing, so they're just going to put in fewer characters? Yeah, I'm seriously rethinking my Bioware Fanboy status. I figured DA2 was the bottom of the barrel, a fluke, a temporary lapse, but apprently it's all about faster development cycles, less content and more pandering to the brainless shooter-infested market. Yeah, I think I'm a bit bitter...
Mass Effect 2 had twice as many squad members as Mass Effect 1.

How did that work out, exactly? Oh, you've got some calibrations? It's okay, I can wait.

pspman45

Sep 1, 2010
I wonder if they'll let us romance Legion this time
i would probably crap my pants laughing at the dialogue

Dec 14, 2009
mireko said:
Jandau said:

How did that work out, exactly? Oh, you've got some calibrations? It's okay, I can wait.
Shhh, the self-entitled purist's hate is based on movement, just don't move and it's rage will diffuse.

MildCaseOfDeath

May 10, 2011
It's probably better this way. Exploring relationships has always been a strongpoint of BioWare RPGs, and it is good to see that they want to flesh out this area even more. It gives them more of a chance to develop the character, as opposed to giving them one or two defining personality traits and leaving it at that, like so many other game developers do.

Frotality

Oct 25, 2010
well gee, maybe you shoulda thought of that before you gave us a dozen expendable teammates to grow attached to.

i can guarantee everyone will have some problem with whoever they choose for the squad makeup given their mistakes with ME2 being overloaded with characters (like why their is even any new teammates taking up places old ones should be in). how much you wanna bet some love interest has been demoted to cameo?

their fixing a problem only to create new ones, but at least their fixing it.

silversun101

Nov 12, 2009
I gotta be honest, I don't think I'm even going to buy Mass Effect 3. And this is from someone who has bought and played everything BioWare has produced in the last ten years. Borrow it from one of my friends? Sure. But I'm not making an investment this time unless it can be proven to be an investment worth making. It just seems BioWare, the company that in my mind could do no wrong, has been slipping ever further into some horrid, dark chasm of mediocrity and compromise. Mass Effect 2, while enjoyable, left a bitter taste in my mouth I couldn't get rid of. Dragon Age 2 is one of the biggest disappointments for me in years and is the 1st BioWare RPG that I have never bothered to replay. And Mass Effect 3 seems to be shaping up to be more of the same. Please, someone tell me I'm wrong and that my fears are for nothing, but it looks like they are about to give the same treatment to ME3 they gave to DA2.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
mireko said:
Jandau said:

At which point did I say anything about ME2?

Kingsnake661

Dec 29, 2010
My feelings are mixed about this... on the one had, GOOD. Better char. development is always a good thing. But then... there's the CHOICE... who gets the extra more importent roles and who becomes the bit players... yes yes everyone will make an appearince, but, they can't ALL be shadowbroker like missions and content, that's... be ALOT of content, prolly side concent they game team prolly doesn't have time to develop. Some people.. are prolly honestly just going to be relegated to camieo statis.

and this makes me resent that James Sanders/Vega/whatever even more... hes taking up a valuable SPOT... he'd BETTER be worth it....

So long as Tali, Garrus, Grunt, Morden, and the VS get good roles i think i can deal with the rest being downplayed. But i have a feeling Grunt will be an easy one to wright off... grrr.

Azex

Jan 17, 2011
sweet i cant wait to have my fav characters sold back to me as DLC.
Bioware should really just charge me a cost for being able to import my chara from ME1/ME2.

i guess this is what happens when your pimp is EA, all the great studios are dead or dying...

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Great. I hardly ever used half the characters in ME2 because I thought others were more interesting. If they improve on making the characters that do stay playable even more interesting, I'm all for it.

Also do note that this seems to be about which squadmembers you can take out to missions. It doesn't necessarily mean the Normandy will be any less crowded.

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
One thing I never understood. If there are 13 members in the crew and butt ton of missions and side missions to do, why limit the interactivity to only 2 other characters? Why not send the extras to side missions to play as them while Shepard is off saving novera, citadel, etc., etc. Than, while Shepard is traveling back to the Normandy, we get to play as the other teammates. Depending on whether or not the lead teammate likes Shepard we get to see them talk **** or praising Shepard behind his back....like all good buddies do.

Kingsnake661

Dec 29, 2010
mireko said:
Jandau said:

I'm going to be honest here... there was more dialog per charater in ME1 per squadie, but, it was mostly them telling you codex like explanatiosn about there people and key plot points, and at least one or two personal plot points of interest. Wrex's dad beign a prick, tali's dad being kind of a prick... and Garurs's dad being.. eh, well... kind of a prick... someone at bioware had major Daddy issues... I mean, even Learia's "dad" was out of the picture... only Ash had a decent father and the poor guys DEAD... And don't even get me started on ME2 with Marindia, Jachob... Thane and his relationship with his son.. Bailey... good god...

ok ok, were was i going with this? Oh never mind... >.>

Anti-Robot Man

Apr 5, 2010
I want at least one of the Krogan in my party, Grunt seems the most likely given that Wrex has his hands full.

Legion I'm sure will be a party member, he was a really intriguing character who was sadly undeveloped and available way too late in ME2.

I'd like Liara back in party (I think one slot will go to Liara/Kaiden/Ashley - depending on relationship).

Garrus and Tali will almost certainly be in party given their fan favorite status.

The soldier guy from the trailer seems to be a party member.

Jacob is definately out, probably the most unpopular character in the series.

So that's about 6 already and realistically we're looking at between 6 and 10 characters. Odds are at least one other new character will be joing the party.

I'd really like Mordin to come back, even if he's confined to the ship in a scientist role (it'd be really nice to have him be part of the crew, even if he couldn't join you on missions).

I actually liked Zaeed, and his combat abilites were excellent, but he and Kasumi have no chance.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
11-13 team mates was too many, not nearly as personal as the six you had in ME1. So Im happy about this situation.