BioWare: "We're Not Done" With Mass Effect

Dec 16, 2009
personally are not one of the studios i'll pre-order for day 1 release anymore, but i'll keep uptodate as possble news wise with where this may go

Lady Lucky

Bullet Dodger
Sep 4, 2012
I can't help but feel that EA is trying to get as much money out of this franchise as possible. I actually admired the fact that the ME series ended the way it did, lots of closure. The end of ME3 will be tough to follow, and I can't help but feel that the next installment won't go well, sorry for being a "Negetive Nancy".

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
This isn't news. BioWare said A LONG time ago that Mass Effect would still exist after the Reaper arc. Of course it wouldn't involve Shepard, but still.

And this was WAY before EA ever got their hands on the franchise.

The fact is, most of the people complaining about how its a cash grab will more than likely buy the game anyways. Because EA AND Bioware both have adequate PR departments that will make you see the 'new spin' to the Mass Effect Universe.

And despite the rage that loud forum goers pumped out, the ending of Mass Effect 3 wasn't badly received. It was something that exploded because a loud minority of people were very vocal about it - and the problems that did actually exist (the Mass Effect relays exploding, for one) were all fixed with the extended cut DLC.

Don't act surprised that one of their best selling franchises that garnished thousands of new fans in the uproar about its 'ending' is deciding to make good on its word that they are going to continue the story of Mass Effect, even after Sheppard.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Gearhead mk2 said:
NO.
NO.
I know this is you, EA. I know you're just hiding behind Bioware's name. Please, dont do this. Bioware still has juice in them, the Extended Cut proved that, but don't you dare misuse the strength they have left. Mass Effect is done. It's finished. The Reapers are gone. Apart from updating the multiplayer, an MMO set before the events of the main trilogy, and a base for some great fanfic, it has nothing left to offer. Don't you dare pull a George Lucas on it. Don't you dare use what's left of Bioware to milk this. Just leave Mass Effect be, and either let Bioware go, or mercy kill them now. Or you could just grow a brain, while pigs are breaking air speed records and Lucifer is ice skating his way to work.
This actually.

I don't trust EA enough to take this franchise in a "new direction" without doing something similar to their actions with Dead Space, (Read: kill it.) We all know EA has the say now.

Don't get me wrong, I think Mass Effect has an amazing universe and a huge array of possibilities for further stories, both in the original trilogy's past and future. But ME3 scraped through by the skin of it's teeth where the community is concerned. For some the Extended Cut just about saved Bioware from oblivion while others have abandoned all hope in light of the god-awful original ending.

Whichever way you cut it, EA's got their claws on a popular AAA franchise at a time of change and opportunity, they're going to be looking for the quickest way to print money which means catering to the lowest denominator. We already know ME3 started to go that way when it was announced that it would appeal to a "broader audience" my personally most hated PR line of all time.

Mass Effect: Black Ops anyone?

Fudj

May 1, 2008
Well lots of negative reactions I see....but then it is about Mass Effect 3 so its to be expected. For my part I'm looking forward to more DLC especially Omega, have been hoping its a liberate Omega DLC. So I have no problem with this at all, and am actually looking forward to more stuff to do.

xochiquetzal

Oct 7, 2010
Maybe if ME4 is about Shepard trying to find the friends that went missing on that planet at the end. but not being able to use any tech or the destroyed mass relays and having to build from scratch on earth and dealing with the fallout and leftovers of the war. and then after settling the dust and finding the friends, Shepard rides in to the sunset with Garrus to have that Turrian/human baby.

Then maybe that could work to make a good sequel...

but that won't happen and they will make some horrible MMORPG type thing that nobody will like and the franchise will sink in to the sea, George Lukas style. and prove that the reapers(EA) has drained all the minerals of the humans(Bioware) and turned them in to a mindless husk without feeling or emotion.

I weep for the future of Bioware.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
teebeeohh said:
oh dear god they are going to make the destruction ending canon, what with all the not mentioning of genocide post EC. or maybe the geth and edi had anti-magic cast on them by Irenicus and the spell travelled through time and space?
Or maybe it was a lie. Remember it even mentioned that Shepard would die from this, and he survived. There is absolutely no reason to trust the genocidal catalyst, and every reason to believe it would lie to get its desired result.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
Riff Moonraker said:
teebeeohh said:
oh dear god they are going to make the destruction ending canon, what with all the not mentioning of genocide post EC. or maybe the geth and edi had anti-magic cast on them by Irenicus and the spell travelled through time and space?
Or maybe it was a lie. Remember it even mentioned that Shepard would die from this, and he survived. There is absolutely no reason to trust the genocidal catalyst, and every reason to believe it would lie to get its desired result.
Don't you think hackett(?) Would have mentioned "fyi, our allies did not get wiped out" in the voice-over at the end? Not mentioning the fate of the geth has one purpose: make more people pick the ending so it is easier to make canon and they can bring shepard back. Which would only be cool if they pull a superboy prime and make her the antagonist.

And if you wanted to you could bring back the geth by saying the quarians decided to rebuild them since any game in the franchise set after me3 will most likely be set at least decades later.

Personally I would like to have the control ending canon with the reapers going inactive except to prevent galactic wars or something(convenient Deus ex machina), very few fundamental rings about the universe would change and you could redeem the reapers by re-introducing the dark matter plot by saying the dumb star child AI got corrupted and Lost sight of its goals.
This would work well because my shepard was more selfless and nice than Jesus but the reapers being controlled by a system modelled after renegade shepard would be scary

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
teebeeohh said:
Riff Moonraker said:
teebeeohh said:
Don't you think hackett(?) Would have mentioned "fyi, our allies did not get wiped out" in the voice-over at the end? Not mentioning the fate of the geth has one purpose: make more people pick the ending so it is easier to make canon and they can bring shepard back. Which would only be cool if they pull a superboy prime and make her the antagonist.

And if you wanted to you could bring back the geth by saying the quarians decided to rebuild them since any game in the franchise set after me3 will most likely be set at least decades later.

Personally I would like to have the control ending canon with the reapers going inactive except to prevent galactic wars or something(convenient Deus ex machina), very few fundamental rings about the universe would change and you could redeem the reapers by re-introducing the dark matter plot by saying the dumb star child AI got corrupted and Lost sight of its goals.
This would work well because my shepard was more selfless and nice than Jesus but the reapers being controlled by a system modelled after renegade shepard would be scary
Actually, I dont think Hackett would have necessarily mentioned it, because he wouldnt have known the catalyst said this to Shepard. If that was a non-issue, and it didnt happen, I dont see why he would feel the need to mention the geth specifically. Lets put it this way, it is very much open to interpretation. :)

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
Ko
Riff Moonraker said:
teebeeohh said:
Riff Moonraker said:
teebeeohh said:

Actually, I dont think Hackett would have necessarily mentioned it, because he wouldnt have known the catalyst said this to Shepard. If that was a non-issue, and it didnt happen, I dont see why he would feel the need to mention the geth specifically. Lets put it this way, it is very much open to interpretation. :)
True, I just hate that they removed the consequences to the destruction ending, every ending had pros and cons but when bioware removed the negative things from destruction they basically said "so you liked control or synthesis? Well Fuck you we make this canon now waaaaay before we have to in the next game"
I guess it would be best to somehow do what bethesda did with daggerfall and say that something of every ending happened(or you pick alternate universes and shit"

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
A nice multiplayer shooter in the Mass effect universe, completely in line with EA's new MP policy. :p