Bioware Working on a New IP

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Ok. New IP is good news right? And it's from Bioware so it will be good right? Right?

[sub]right?[/sub]

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
its amazing how a few incidents make you go fuck the gaming community
i wonder what setting it'll use hope its one i like

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Good, they need a new IP. Hopefully this one will be as interesting and memorable as Mass Effect, Dragon Age and Jade Empire. Speaking of which though...

Jade Empire is quite an underutilized property... I don't understand Bioware's resistance to reviving it...

Quijiboh

Mar 24, 2011
Rock on. Interested to see where they take what they've learned over the last couple of years. Plenty of genres and settings out there that could do with the healthy dose of narrative focus and player choice elements.

PedroSteckecilo said:
Good, they need a new IP. Hopefully this one will be as interesting and memorable as Mass Effect, Dragon Age and Jade Empire. Speaking of which though...

Jade Empire is quite an underutilized property... I don't understand Bioware's resistance to reviving it...
If they did, I hope they consider overhauling the gameplay wholesale. It was an interesting concept, but the execution was more than a little lacking I felt. There was way too much of grinding your opponents down without much variety.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
PedroSteckecilo said:

i don't understand either look at me3 guess they don't have a problem with making subpar endings

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
Color me interested, but not caring all too much at the moment. Considering they are working on the next Mass Effect series as well as Dragon Age 3, I'm at least going to wait until we hear more. That or until DA3 is out.

But hey, as long as the game sounds interesting, I'll wait in earnest.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
PedroSteckecilo said:

One of the problems I found with Jade Empire was that its fighting system was lackluster. You can chock a lot of it up to beginners errors and it SHOWS. The player is able to have one party member at a time out, a LOT of the styles are outright broken or just useless (seriously, Jade Golem and Mirabelle destroy any difficulty), and the styles themselves didn't have that much depth to them. To really bring the series back they'd need to start from scratch with the fighting engine. I think something like Amalur's would work best, but they'd have to find a way to really make it fun and balanced.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
omicron1 said:
It's either cyberpunk modem, steampunk, or ancient times.

They aren't going to bog down their existing, ongoing fantasy/scifi series with direct competition, which leaves just a few genre-standard (if uncommon) themes for them to explore. And given their penchant for world building, I'd guess they'll go for one of the above.
Based upon the current games being put out I bet EA pressures them to make a Cyberpunk game. After all we wouldn't want to fail to compete against Remember Me and Watch Dogs. Instead of you know working on a different genre and not competing with them. Still if it's a good game I'll buy it with no complaints

I just wish some game developers would realize there is an Urban Fantasy Genre (wildly popular in the literature market) and start producing that. Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines stands out today as a masterful story telling experience in that niche.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
I'm worried about the new Mass Effect being done by Montreal. They're the folks who did the Omega DLC, probably everyone's least favorite single-player DLC. A whole lot of shooty-shooty and not much of what people love about Mass Effect.

I'd say that they have too much on their plate right now to be working on a new IP, but I guess they know what they're doing.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
Did someone say Casey Hudson?

Sorry but that is like saying:
"GEORGE LUCAS IS WRITING THE DIALOGUE"
"BETHESDA IS DOING THE QA!"
"M Night is directing!"

We all know what Casey H. being part of something in a big way means.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
I don't hold a grudge against them for any previous writing based mistakes, but I'm still apprehensive about this as it'll probably end up with microtransactions, day one DLC, an unnecessary multiplayer mode and pre-order bonuses beyond count.

So I doubt I'll even be getting it used.

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
You know this could have EA behind it, using the once great Bioware to try and renew faith for both of them. Which they could have done by making DA3 great... So I'm probably wrong.

Anyway, I liked DA2 quite a bit and I still have faith in Bioware so I look forward to it.

mfeff

Nov 8, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Maybe it'll be a game about magnet physics? So it really will be intended to polarize!
HAHAHA Too late!

That said... Saw what you did there! +1 Internet 4 U! =D

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Maybe it'll be a game about magnet physics? So it really will be intended to polarize!
I've got my money on Train Crash simulator 2013 (because if they put the year in the title it can become an annual release without anyone giving it flack!) And every year after that will be another train wreck.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
tmande2nd said:
Did someone say Casey Hudson?

Sorry but that is like saying:
"GEORGE LUCAS IS WRITING THE DIALOGUE"
"BETHESDA IS DOING THE QA!"
"M Night is directing!"

We all know what Casey H. being part of something in a big way means.
True dat, Octopus. True dat. High five to all 8 tentacles

captcha: "know your rights"

Indeed.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
I heard a rumour that the multiple endings of this game will be yellow, orange and purple. You can't say Bioware aren't innovative!

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Hopefully it will deviate from their standard "You are the chosen one, now go fight this evil legend come to life" plot that they've held on to.

Also, in regards to Casey Hudson...the ending to Mass Effect 3 was a total disaster but did the entire internet conveniently forget that without him KOTOR, Jade Empire, and the entire Mass Effect trilogy would not exist? How quickly the people turn...

darth gditch

Dark Gamer of the Sith
Jun 3, 2009
I am cautiously optimistic. I'd really like to see what it ends up being, as it will be the first brand new IP from BioWare in some time. Since 2009, I believe. I've really enjoyed most of BioWare's games in the past, especially the Mass Effect series, despite its serious flaws.

But only time will tell; I'll not be making any decisions until the IP is announced and info is made available.