Bizarre Creations Says a Video Goodbye

KaosuHamoni

Apr 7, 2010
Clair De Lune. The song for every situation, as long as it's in slow-mo.

Seriously though, Bizarre will be missed... *sniff*

Yoder13

Dec 6, 2010
Beautiful farewell video. It is sad whenever a studio is forced to close their doors.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Therumancer said:
Interesting, but they seemed to specialize in an increasingly niche genere, combined with a horrible case of developer arrogance. Even within that genere they seemed to be ignoring what the actual players wanted, and just did whatever they thought was cool at the time, figuring it would sell and justify itself. I think the question aimed at Blur: "who was this game directed at", pretty much summarized their problem, and this didn't seem to be the first game with that problem.
"Who is this game directed at?" Pretty much anyone who's a fan of arcade racing. Fans of such games as Burnout, Outrun, and PGR. Believe it or not, there is a market for racing games that aren't simulators like Gran Turismo or Forza. One of my favourite games of all time is Burnout 3, and I much prefer racing games that go for a pure "fun" experience rather than a true to life racing experience. The little I played of Blur, it seemed like a blast, and if it didn't do as well as it should that's a) due to Activision not marketing it as well as they should have, and b) pure bad luck on the part of BC. Blur wasn't some leftfield, career-suicide decision made by the developers, it was an arcade racing game made by a developer who helped popularise the arcade racing genre on consoles.

As I heard it explained, the game basically tries to straddle the line between a simulator and an arcade racer, by trying to combine realistic car controls with power ups, and some elements right out of a cart racer game.

A diluted genere hybrid that probably sounded fun to the developers, but wound up not appealing to any of the racing game demographics. The elements basically coming together in a package that was too serious for kids, but too kiddy for more adult players. Hence the question of who it was aimed at, since there really wasn't a clear target audience. I believe they were mentioned as admitting these failings themselves in other articles on the subject.

GotMalkAvian

Feb 4, 2009
That's sad. Bizarre Creations was a really talented studio that had some great ideas, but a lot of their games went under the radar. I'm not a big fan of racing games, but I had a ton of fun with the Blur multiplayer beta. Also, I always enjoyed the Club and the Geometry Wars games.

That was one of the classiest final bows that I've ever seen from anyone, and Activision should be ashamed (even though I know they won't be) for continually giving the ax to studios like this while encouraging less talented but more marketable studios to flourish.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
Never played anything that Bizarre Creations has done. As Codemasters has always done the best racing games for PC.

I remember that Project Gotham Racing being a huge title some time ago. Anyways, that was a cool and appropriate video.

Cabamacadaf

Mar 17, 2009
cerebus23 said:
why did they never do another pgr game? after it all it was hailed as one of the contenders w gt and forza and the like with a good stable of cars and good physics.
They were bought by Activision. Microsoft owns the PGR franchise.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Quiet Stranger said:
genamp said:
Quiet Stranger said:
I don't know if anyone remembers but they made Fur Fighters, one of the greatest games of all time.....BC will be missed greatly
Thank you for bringing that game up. I almost thought it was lost in the annals of time. One of the best TPS experiences that never really got the attention it truly deserved. Many, many hours spent on that title.
Bizarre, you will truly be missed. I've always appreciated your contributions to the field.
I know right? My friend owned Viggo's Revenge (PS2 remake) and I beat the whole damn thing cause it was that good, I saved all the puppies, got all the cheat codes, 100%. One of my all time favourite games, and now BC is gone.
yeah, I had fur fighters for the dreamcast and then for the ps2 damn fine game, shame it never got the attention it deserved

Whitenail

Sep 28, 2010
Awwww, I still have fond memories of playing with family and friends in the various project gothams. If I had to put down a favourite it would be Project Gotham 2, racing through the familiar city of Sydney, playing it over the (then) new xbox live...goodbye, old friend.

The_Yeti

Jan 17, 2011
one Racing Genre Crafter down, too many more to go, huzzah! Activision did something right!

HuCast

Aug 18, 2006
Kudos guys-and thanks for the wonderful hours on and offline! I will miss you. I still remember that I had to get out of bed at three in the morning so that I could win the tokyo races in MSR during daylight. Kudos and farewell! :(

instantbenz

Pixel Pusher
Mar 25, 2009
ForgottenPr0digy said:
See you later Space Cowboy

We will miss you
It never hits home until your remember Spike say "Bang" before dropping like a sack of bullet-filled potatoes ... *sniff* ...

Geometry wars was a favorite of mine when I had x-blah ... cheers boys and girls of Bizarre! Much luck on the new job search.