Black Ops Swastika Emblems Will Earn Xbox Live Ban

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
-Samurai- said:
DannibalG36 said:
Stupid Nazis. Why did you have to ruin the swastika for everyone else?
They didn't. The people that refuse to see it as anything other than a Nazi symbol ruin it for everyone else.
Excepting that the two symbols aren't the same. The Nazi swastika is the reverse of the Swastika. The Swastika is still in use in numerous Asian countries.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
So whats going to happen to all those swastikas on the PC version? Not really complaining, I end up killing those guys quite abit, so its like playing W@W all over again.

Apr 16, 2009
I'd just like to point out that the facts are wrong in this article. The players receive a ban from the emblem editor, not from xbox live.

Josh Olin said:
?We have tools internally at the studio that track and monitor all reports,? [Josh Olin] says. ?The more times a player is reported (for any number of reasons), the faster they rise to the top of our list. Think of it like a leaderboard. If a person has 50 reports to his name, we?re obviously going to take a look. If a person has two reports, he?s probably just pissed some guy off and a guy reported him in hopes he?ll get banned.? So it really is a matter of multiple people objecting; it?s a community standard. If it doesn?t bug a bunch of people, then it?s not going to be an issue ? and they?re not sweating the sore losers.
If your emblem is determined to be offensive, ?we have the ability to ban you from using the emblem editor for a time period we deem appropriate,? Josh says. ?The feature literally will be functionless for you in-game until your ban expires.? They could also choose to change it for you. He does say complete multiplayer banning is possible but is not the first course of action ? that would be reserved for repeat offenders.
?As of now, first offense is banned from using the emblems editor for two weeks,? he says. ?From there, one month. We haven?t even been out for a month yet, so we aren?t sure how long we?ll run that out before just banning you from using the feature permanently.?
But if you still feel this system infringes on your gaming rights, think of it like?an amusement park. Treyarch runs the place and you paid your money to get in, can go on any rides you want as many times as you want. But if you start negatively affecting the experience of other people by shouting at other guests or spraypainting the rides, well, it?s Treyarch?s park, and they?re going to keep it clean for as many people as possible, and they?re going to listen to a large number of complaints. It?s your game, but it?s also their game, and it?s everyone?s experience. That makes a lot of sense to me. If I went around shouting racial epithets at Disneyland, they?d kick me out too.
http://www.codblackopsnews.com/2010/11/19/dealing-with-offensive-emblems

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Eh, i report anyone with an offencive emblem.
I play the game for fun, not to be swarmed by sexual inuendoes or racist/anti-religios bullcrap.
They give us the freedom to make our own emblem, and people have to abuse that freedom.
Besides, most of the people with swastikas, monkeys getting jacked off or horses bone-ing eachother is probably to young to be playing the game, or doesnt deserve to play it in the first place.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
From the linked Blog:
Let?s be clear: no educated human on the planet looks at the swastika symbol on a video game service in ?the year we make contact? and says ?oh, that symbol has nothing at all in any way to do with global genocide of an entire race and, even if it did, one should totally and reasonably ignore that because it?s a symbol that was stolen or coop-ted from religions.?
Yay, let's here it for "My Experiences Are Universal"!

'No educated human on the planet'? Did he just decide to exclude a huge chunk of Asia from the planet? I mean, seriously, people who've grown up with the symbol as part of their religious and culture heritage will associate it with a bunch of dickheads who they probably only heard vaguely mentioned in history class because those were mostly concerned with the events of the Pacific Theatre when it came to WW2 (or the entire war kinda gets glossed over quickly)?

Certainly, Microsoft are free to ban whatever the fuck they want from their private network but they should probably stick to reality when giving reasons.

MicrosoftPaysMe

Mar 4, 2009
But there are swastikas IN THE GAME. In the Nazi Zombies game mode. So why can't there be a swastika as your emblem?

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
JDKJ said:
(some conservative estimates place the number of African Holocaust victims in excess of 12 million)
You should see the combined totals for Stalin...

Of course Genghis Khan still holds the the record as all time mass murdering fuck.

Apr 16, 2009
9_6 said:
That's adorable. They pretend to be moderating the shitfest that is xbox live.
Actually, the other players are the moderators. If enough people report someone's emblem for being 'offensive' then someone takes a look at it and says "Yes, this image of a swastika having sex with a gorilla is not allowed" or "No, this is a goddamn semi circle and star" and appropriately punishes them

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Atmos Duality said:
mad825 said:
really? I would say thee most notorious, I mean how many people were killed due to Alexander and his army? what about Stalin?
Please explain how either of those events downplays the murder of millions.
And please don't try to say "they killed more", because that changes absolutely nothing.
You miss the point, there are other genocides that are associated to things (like the hammer and sickle) which are seen as "accpatable" by mordern sociality in most countries but yet when one mentions (or shows) the Swastika within sociality, you will be branded with a negative stigma.

case in point, Christianity bares a heavily past of killings (early-modern Europe witch hunt and cusaders ect.) and yet it's deemed generally acceptable.

Estoki

May 25, 2010
MicrosoftPaysMe said:
But there are swastikas IN THE GAME. In the Nazi Zombies game mode. So why can't there be a swastika as your emblem?
Because this guy is a complete hypocrite, and thinks the player having a swastika is more offensive than the game having a swastika, which is to say, isn't offensive to anybody at all.

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
While some of the IN GAME backgrounds for your thing have hammers and sickles on them, coming from an ideology that killed at least as many people as the nazis

I see I got kindof ninja'd 2 posts back

Apr 16, 2009
MicrosoftPaysMe said:
Because the swastika isn't itself the issue, it's the use of it as a personal emblem to make a statement about yourself. It's like getting a short quote with your person and writing "KILL ALL JEWS"

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
RatRace123 said:
Why'd they even give people the ability to create emblems?
If it's not swastikas then it'll just be dicks.
Exactly what I was thinking, good sir.
I can just see some idiot kid saying "OMG LAWLZ I IS SO FUNNEH I MAED MAI EMBLM A DIK BECUZ DIKZ R FUNNEH LOLZ!!!!1111"

OT: Well, that makes sense. Putting a Swastika as an emblem and saying it's the good luck symbol and stuff is pretty much the same as going around in public with a sign saying "I really like rape!" but then saying that you're referring to the herb "Rape" (if you haven't heard, look rape up in the dictionary: There's a herb called rape). It doesn't matter if you mean the other thing, it's just you trying to be funny about something serious and awful without getting in trouble because it has 2 meanings. Although Xbox Live ban is a little much, maybe just a Black Ops online ban.

Citrus

Apr 25, 2008
I like how forthright Toulouse is. Sure, the swastika has plenty of history outside the Nazi Party, but do you think the teenage kid playing Call of Duty is using the symbol because it's beautiful and misunderstood, or because it's controversial, offensive, and he wants attention?

The Buddhists who play CoD will have to take one for the team.