Black Panther Teaser Trailer

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
They are churning out movies so frequently, they start to feel like homework to do before you can get to watch the crossover you are actually interested in.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Your Creator said:
How much trawling through Twitter did it take to get to this totally unknown and uninfluencial person? Dare we ask to look for the other side of this? Or would that be too inconvenient? A comic book story only now reaching your limit of belief in this situation is so very telling. Hopefully it was just a joke at your own expense.
??? Who said anything about sides.

All racism is bad.

This took about 5 seconds to find, and not on Twitter. It's got thousands of people who're... Retweeting it? (I don't use twitter, forgive me.) So, it's actually not just some random person, but instead somebody who has seemingly gained the attention of at least a few thousand people.

Majestic_Manatee

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2017
Country
Wales
The Lunatic said:
Your Creator said:
How much trawling through Twitter did it take to get to this totally unknown and uninfluencial person? Dare we ask to look for the other side of this? Or would that be too inconvenient? A comic book story only now reaching your limit of belief in this situation is so very telling. Hopefully it was just a joke at your own expense.

All racism is bad.

This took about 5 seconds to find, and not on Twitter. It's got thousands of people who're... Retweeting it? (I don't use twitter, forgive me.) So, it's actually not just some random person, but instead somebody who has seemingly gained the attention of at least a few thousand people.
The Lunatic said:
Your Creator said:

All racism is bad.

Admirable attempt at twisting the language. Clever I'm sure it felt for you at the time. But ultimately meaningless. I don't doubt you found it quickly as I don't doubt the many who utilise Twitter to perpetuate their own perceptions of others through transparent cherry picking. Isn't that all that is left now?

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
I like the jungle scene, felt like a predator movie for a little while. The warrior ladies or whatever they are were pretty cool too. Then boring shit jumping on cars, yay.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Your Creator said:
Admirable attempt at twisting the language. Clever I'm sure it felt for you at the time. But ultimately meaningless. I don't doubt you found it quickly as I don't doubt the many who utilise Twitter to perpetuate their own perceptions of others through transparent cherry picking. Isn't that all that is left now?
I don't really know what this monologue is about, but, as long as we all agree that racism is bad, I don't really see much discussion here, sorry.

undeadsuitor said:
how is it racist to consider that the global wealth distribution would look a lot different without imperialistic conquest and razing by white nations

that seems like a fun tangent to extrapolate

also

things you believed in Marvel movies:

A man in a flying suit with a cold fusion power source in his chest

A WW2 super serum that made a man a foot taller and gave him super strength and reflexes

A literal god

An infinite power source in a cube

A purple stone that can destroy a planet

a talking raccoon and tree

things you can't believe in Marvel movies:

black people with technology
Well, it'd be pretty racist to say "Without black people, white countries would have significantly less crime", or portray America as some Utopia if it kept blacks enslaved or whatever.

It blames the person's skin colour for their trespasses and not the individuals, or what have you. Which... Is basically the textbook definition of racism.

It'd require quite a lot of explanation, yeah. I mean, all the other Marval movies explain things in a way that makes sense. Usually alien/trans-dimension interference, if it's just that again, then that'd be pretty boring, wouldn't it?

Plus they'd have to explain how it's somehow been kept secret in a modern setting.

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
Hawki said:
Well, that looked...appropriately bonkers. Not much of an MCU fan, but I'll give credit where credit is due.

a) If Wakanda is so advanced (more so than the rest of the world), is the secrecy even needed? As in, you could just say, "yes, we have more advanced tech than you, so piss off if you don't want your atoms scattered." Might make their lives easier.
(
Mainly because they don't feel like being entrenched in centuries of constant warfare defending their boarders to ensure their technology and vibranium isn't stolen by the rest of the world. They've cured almost every disease, have the most advanced military tech, completely energy independent, and far better off than anywhere else. Why risk inviting espionage or outright war with other nations?

As to why they don't share, most western nations would immediately weaponize any technology they receive and, per the TV show, they don't share other technology because the rest of the world doesn't want to actually try to do something about their problems. Sure they could give the cure for cancer out to other countries, but those same countries haven't halted the sale of cancer causing products even after knowing the risks, so those nations obviously don't care for the health of their citizens. Also, their technology largely incompatible with what the rest of the world uses so it would undermine their own technical security.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
The Lunatic said:
Well, it'd be pretty racist to say "Without black people, white countries would have significantly less crime", or portray America as some Utopia if it kept blacks enslaved or whatever.

It blames the person's skin colour for their trespasses and not the individuals, or what have you. Which... Is basically the textbook definition of racism.

It'd require quite a lot of explanation, yeah. I mean, all the other Marval movies explain things in a way that makes sense. Usually alien/trans-dimension interference, if it's just that again, then that'd be pretty boring, wouldn't it?

Plus they'd have to explain how it's somehow been kept secret in a modern setting.
Except that if you read the comics you would know Wakanda isn't advance because whitey didn't invade but because they have a adavance alien resources such as Vibranaum.

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
It didn't actually grab me that much.

I mean, right at the start, they're like "Wakanda is a third-world country, exports sheep and textiles," and then Klaue is like "all a front!"

A front? What, like the mob operating behind a pizza place? They have a utopian super-city with flying saucers. You can't disguise that as some weavers and shepherds! It's impossible! This shit would be visible from space!

I mean, Wakanda is enough of a real place that it has aid workers in other real African countries and its king can go to the UN and say "let's rein in those superdudes, k?" but no-one is allowed to go there? No-one is allowed to leave? Does Black Panther just kill everyone who tries to get in? Because if there was a rumoured super-advanced ufotopia in the middle of Africa, there'd be a ton of refugees trying to get in there. Is he killing all of them? Do they just let them in and go "Okay, now you can never leave our ufotopian paradise. Also, no Twitter."

I can buy that there's a super-advanced African city-state that has held off all invaders with vibranium-powered weapons, but what I can't buy is that they've somehow kept this a secret over the past hundred years. It'd be like if North Korea suddenly revealed that they had an army of giant mecha, the Kim dynasty were a family of genetically-engineered super-pilots for the mecha, and Pyongyang could uproot itself and fly. The only explanation is that all the world's intelligence services are in on it.

If this was the real world, a CIA guy would be briefing President Trump on Wakanda diplomatic relations and he would immediately tweet about it and ruin a century-long charade. And then a bunch of starving African refugees would go "You hear that? They've got a city with flying saucers, and we're stuck out here in Shitholesville getting raped and set on fire by the janjaweed. Let's mosey."

And what's with the dude with the big green thing stuck in his lip? Is that a real thing? It looked like a parody of a real thing.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
bastardofmelbourne said:
And what's with the dude with the big green thing stuck in his lip? Is that a real thing? It looked like a parody of a real thing.
In parts of rural Ethiopia and Southern Sudan it's a thing, however it's 1) only a thing women do, and 2) something that isn't mainstream in any way.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
bastardofmelbourne said:
It's a real thing.

Google "lip plate".

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
bastardofmelbourne said:
It didn't actually grab me that much.

I mean, right at the start, they're like "Wakanda is a third-world country, exports sheep and textiles," and then Klaue is like "all a front!"

A front? What, like the mob operating behind a pizza place? They have a utopian super-city with flying saucers. You can't disguise that as some weavers and shepherds! It's impossible! This shit would be visible from space!

I mean, Wakanda is enough of a real place that it has aid workers in other real African countries and its king can go to the UN and say "let's rein in those superdudes, k?" but no-one is allowed to go there? No-one is allowed to leave? Does Black Panther just kill everyone who tries to get in? Because if there was a rumoured super-advanced ufotopia in the middle of Africa, there'd be a ton of refugees trying to get in there. Is he killing all of them? Do they just let them in and go "Okay, now you can never leave our ufotopian paradise. Also, no Twitter."

I can buy that there's a super-advanced African city-state that has held off all invaders with vibranium-powered weapons, but what I can't buy is that they've somehow kept this a secret over the past hundred years. It'd be like if North Korea suddenly revealed that they had an army of giant mecha, the Kim dynasty were a family of genetically-engineered super-pilots for the mecha, and Pyongyang could uproot itself and fly. The only explanation is that all the world's intelligence services are in on it.

If this was the real world, a CIA guy would be briefing President Trump on Wakanda diplomatic relations and he would immediately tweet about it and ruin a century-long charade. And then a bunch of starving African refugees would go "You hear that? They've got a city with flying saucers, and we're stuck out here in Shitholesville getting raped and set on fire by the janjaweed. Let's mosey."

Black Panther was created in 1966, remember that. And unlike DC, Marvel doesnt redo itself all the time. Mostly they just push up the timeline, but much of those old plots and stuff are actually still the canon.

Things like the internet were not even conceived yet, and it was around the time of the beginning of space exploration to just the moon.

Yeah, Wakanda does not make sense in the context of 2017, but it was certainly more conceivable to be hidden in the 1960's and 70's.

I am sure they will technobabble excuses for this movie as to why it is hidden so well despite how absurd it sounds, but we're working with old things.

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
Here Comes Tomorrow said:
I know, it's like something out if a comic book!
Wakanda never masqueraded as a third-world country in the comics, though. They were isolationist and mysterious, but everyone knew that they had vibranium and were super-advanced.

What's tripping my suspension of disbelief is that the trailer wants me to believe that Wakanda has some kind of nation-state secret identity, where they masquerade as a simple nation of backwards farmers but at night, they reveal that they have UFOs and arm-blasters and shit. It's like, why even bother with that extra layer of deception? It's not in the comics, so it's something Marvel Studios have come up with specifically for the film, and it boggles my mind why they'd even bother.

Also, I don't like the fact that Black Panther is bulletproof.

Zhukov said:
It's a real thing.

Google "lip plate".
Hahahaha okay! I did not need to see that.

Somehow, it looks way weirder when the plates aren't in their lips.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
bastardofmelbourne said:
Zhukov said:
It's a real thing.

Google "lip plate".
Hahahaha okay! I did not need to see that.
I know, right?

Hence why I just dropped the name instead of including images. Kinda thing that can ruin one's appetite.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
inu-kun said:
undeadsuitor said:
how is it racist to consider that the global wealth distribution would look a lot different without imperialistic conquest and razing by white nations

that seems like a fun tangent to extrapolate
Probably exactly the same, as humans are the same in their core. Unless you want to proclaim a natural born moral superiority by non-white races (pretty much the very definition of racism).
To be honest without European Imperialism there's a strong argument to be made that Africa would be less developed today then it is due to how much of its current state came from the infrastructure that was left behind by Europeans, and the fact that Europeans didn't stunt any development that was going on since the continent (sans the Northern part) was between tribal nomads and early stone age civilisation when they showed up, with no push for development to occur (there's a reason why they where at their level of development to begin with).

I think they'd be about 30 to 50 years behind where they are now in terms of economic development had Europe not taken over and instead technology and modernity came from trade instead of imposition. Whether that would be for the better is a debate in itself though.

Johnny Novgorod said:
Bottom of the barrel Marvel.
Mind elaborating on this?

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
The Lunatic said:
Saelune said:
Ofcourse racist asshole conspiracy theorists are gonna have an issue with shit. Fuck them and move on.

Seriously, this kind of racist shit is completely unacceptable, anyone going along with these people should be ashamed of themselves.

Personally? Meh? The whole "Africa is future now, but, nobody knew!" thing is just a little bit too... Unbelievable.
Welcome to my life as a white South African! Did you know Cape Town had super rough storms the past few days? Yup, we are to blame [http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/cape-storms-the-fault-of-white-monopoly-capital-mngxitama-20170609]. We are really [http://citizen.co.za/news/news-national/1338292/wont-slaughter-whites-now-malema/] horrible [https://www.sapromo.com/metro-mayor-says-whites-cheats-white/12854] people [http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/White-South-Africans-are-worse-than-Hitler-says-suspended-Wits-SRC-president-20150529] I assure you.

Major skip for me anyway, part of why I indulge in film and gaming is to get my mind away for a bit that I live on this shit continent, not to remind me of it.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Considering it's based on pre-revolutionary Ethiopia, it might have been more racist to assume that the only way an African nation could successfully resist European colonial powers was hyper-technology and superpowers back when Wakanda was created.

And now it's apparently racist to like that idea.

What crazy webs we weave.