Blaming the victim

pokepuke

Dec 28, 2010
So if a cop says: "Stay out of dark alleys at night in the bad parts of town", I guess he is taking the blame away from the hoodlums that happened to stab people in the dark alleys, despite not talking about blame at all nor meaning to imply that all the dark alleys now belong to the stabbers.

It's just a retarded way to take things. You can't ignore bad things and the possible reasons why they happen.

starkiller212

Dec 23, 2010
The rapists are ALWAYS wrong and usually deserve the death penalty IMO.
That being said, people should try to avoid attracting too much attention from strangers or anything to avoid becoming a victim, as a matter of practicality. "Blaming the victim" is ludicrous, but in my experience that's not really what people mean anyway.

I'm not sure why this is so difficult for some people to understand.

Eikoandmog

Summoner and Pal
May 7, 2008
AlkalineGamer said:
A person who would rape is probably a bad person anyway.
The last thing they need is to be provoked.
If you covored yourself in bacon, then got mauled by an animal, then alot of the blame does rest with you.
There was an Australian muslim leader who got in a lot of trouble by the media by comparing women dressing provocatively leading to men raping them and the behaviour of animals with meat. Not saying that I'm offended, just saying, be careful with your wording.

In my opinion, you shouldn't be considered asking for trouble if you dress any way you wish and in no way should they take the blame for what happened. Unfortunately, dressing like that is a risk as much as we hate to say it.

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
It's easier than acknowledging a serious problem and actually doing something about it- simply say that the women clearly wanted sex, etc. Which is one of the most disgusting opinions out there... Lots of Iron Age thinking exists with the idea of keeping a woman's 'honor' until she is married and that it is her fault for not resisting enough to stop her rape- the fact that she was raped reflects negatively on the entire family unit.

In which case the girl/victim must be punished for being human and having bad shit happen to them. Fuck anyone with this opinion.

kromify

Feb 9, 2011
i had a friend in college who was almost raped by a taxi driver; she was the last one to be taken home. was she to blame? no way. but if she hadn't been tipsy, if she hadn't worn clubbing clothes the taxi driver might not have fancied her and then attempted to take advantage. so she baited him.
this is utter crap.

is the difference between a short walk or a taxi ride big enough to lay blame elsewhere? what if a crooked cop picked her up from walking home, is it her fault for thinking "gee, he's a cop. getting in that car must be safe."

where can you objectively draw the line?
ultimately if a rapist wants power over someone he will find someone to overpower. his fault. the end.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
There is no way rape can be blamed on the victim. None at all. None whatsoever.

That the perpetrator has proven to be capable of the deed is what matters. Regardless of what the victim has done to "provoke", "tease", "bait" or whatever else people try to pin on them.

Also, it's one thing to advise someone not to venture outside at certain hours. It's another to say they somehow deserve what's coming to them if they do.

Moosh50

Oct 19, 2008
*opens the first link, not suprised to see only black mug shots*

The only thing more revolting then rape, is blaming the victim of the rape.

Marble Dragon

Mar 11, 2009
I think it's a good idea to not wear slutty clothing around. Women should be careful, because that's the way the world is. (I could write a couple pages on how society tells women they can only be attractive by being showy, then turns around and tells them it's their fault if they look too provocative...but that's not the point.) However, I don't believe in the situation of rape it can be blamed on the victim at all.

My reason for this is that rape is a crime of domination. It isn't about wanting to have sex. It's about wanting to have power. That drive is strong, and added to normal sex urges and the subconscious belief that sex is the most valuable thing a person could give...well. My point is, you don't commit rape 'cause you're horny. So blaming the victim for what they wear is stupid, and reinforces untrue ideas about sex crimes.

So, should women be blamed for being raped? Absolutely not - that's disgusting and wrong. Should they wear slutty clothes around the "bad parts of town?" No - that's fucking stupid. Don't advertise yourself unless you want customers...

airwolfe591

Dec 11, 2009
No one asks to be raped. Regardless of how they dress, that is a small factor in my opinion.

Someone very close to me was raped. She doesn't dress provocatively or anything like that (hell it was winter and night), it just happened. Blaming the victim is often unjustified and just cruel after a traumatizing experience such as rape, when they often think they themselves are to blame as well, add fuel to that from the public and it becomes something difficult to overcome.

Cyberwulf

Sep 24, 2008
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
And this is not an argument for blaming the victim this is an argument for slapping the victim upside the head, shouting "WHAT THE FUCK WERE YOU DOING??!?!?" and chewing them out for a solid hour and a half. Yeah the cop was wrong but the victim in that kind of predicament should not get away without being scolded for being a moron.
You're so right, RT. The eleven year old child who was gang-raped by 18 men should be smacked upside the head and chewed out, because that's what rape victims need more than anything else in the world. Support? Counselling? That's for pussies, PUSSIES I TELL YOU. I hope none of your loved ones ever get raped because you'll probably read them the riot act on how stupid they were for getting themselves raped.

Here's what I want to know - where are the information campaigns aimed at young MEN, telling them that it's not okay to fuck drunk people, that it's not okay to ply a woman with drinks (spiked or otherwise) to make her more receptive to their advances, that women don't owe you sex no matter how much they flirted or how they danced with you, that if your frat brother calls you into a bedroom where there's an unconscious woman covered in vomit and invites you to "have a turn" that you should call the cops... Where are they? Why is it we persist in only warning women about The Mysterious Force of Rape? Why do we cling to this ridiculous notion that rapists are Scary Men in Bushes who leap out and brutally assault good Christian girls while they cry for help that never comes?

Cyberwulf

Sep 24, 2008
Lawyer105 said:
Rape is a huge problem - no question - but women have to stop using it as an excuse for their poor judgement or a revenge tactic as well before I'll be totally sympathetic.
The percentage of genuine, proven false rape reports is somewhere between 2 and 8 percent - on a par with the rate of false reports for every other crime. MEN NEED TO STOP RAPING.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Sounds a lot like the whole "This man saved this woman from a burning car, but broke her arm trying to get her out and she is suing him because she'd rather be dead than unable to use that arm"

That was happening so often I gathered that people would actually avoid helping in anything like that. Though now the 'savior' is protected by law thankfully.

Cyberwulf

Sep 24, 2008
Snotnarok said:
Sounds a lot like the whole "This man saved this woman from a burning car, but broke her arm trying to get her out and she is suing him because she'd rather be dead than unable to use that arm"

That was happening so often I gathered that people would actually avoid helping in anything like that. Though now the 'savior' is protected by law thankfully.
What are you talking about.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Cyberwulf said:
Snotnarok said:

What are you talking about.
I'm saying it's similar to another thing that's insane. Blaming the victim in a rape is like what was happening when people were being sued for saving someone from an accident. It's just crazy to see something stupid like that happen.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
I believe that any problem or anything in the world that is bad, has 2 people to blame, at the least. The victim and the attacker.

Hectix777

Feb 26, 2011
The girl dressed sexy and acted provocatively, sure we can all agre that she a 'hoe, but that does not qualify rape. Nothing quaifies or makes rape okay, not even if Christ himself said that. In fact, if Christ did say that rape was okay I'd go ahead and give up Christianity or at least shoot the guy* because I know that's not my Jesus Christ of the Bible. Blaming he victim is retarded, it's like blaming a drive-by victim for standing in the bullets path or a cancer
victim for getting cancer.

*Note: the author of this comment is a devout Lutheran and would never harm the Messiah in his second coming should he be reborn in his lifetime. He is merely stating that the aforementioned act of violence would be committed to a mam who says he is Jesus Christ and begins to say that all we thought is wrong and immoral is really good and okay. He would feel severly insulted, and is assured that he is not the onl one who undergo the same actions should this occur.

Chase Yojimbo

The Samurai Sage
Sep 1, 2009
Blaming the Victem is only what people who support the convict do. Though I support that in the real world, if I were to look at it as an equation that a woman did dress provocatively, it would only be a small piece of the equation, but a piece non the less. They make more appealing targets depending on the rapists tastes and so on so forth, it all adds up to an equation. People may think that "Well why on earth are you supporting the convict by spouting this equation shit", i'm not supporting him, hes a scumbag and frankly deserves to have his nuts nailed to a stump and pushed backwards.

Women, you can't just go and believe that you can dress any way you want and get away with it. For example, if I looked at a gorgeous woman who just happened to be dressed provocatively, I would be refered to as a pervert. Does that make me the pervert or her the idiot for dressing as such? Frankly it is all just a logical fallacy that has been created called "Free Will", which was instituted by Walt Disney when he created Happy Endings for Fairy Tales which never existed until he came along (As you can tell, I blame him for many of the worlds problems).

When humans instituted that they had free will, it of course was a good thing, but it had repercussions. These consequences are the choices of the common individual. If we continue with the rape topic and the equations, I will add to them the recent inquiry of Free Will. People believe that nothing bad will happen because they no longer were trained to expect horrible things in life (I thank the frozen bastard Walt Disney for this), because of this, they no longer instituted their own safeguards to protect themselves in times of trouble. This Free Will they generated also forced them to create an illusion of "Happy Endings", that everything might work out in the end no matter what (yes, thats right, optimism can be bad if used incorrectly). No it won't, for gods sake Sleeping Beauty was raped, had children, and never woke up, there was no happy ending. The Little Mermaid commited suicide, because she wanted her "true love" to survive with his new bride, no happy ending there either.

So to simply blame the victem is both too general and wrong, there is too many variables as to why the victem was chosen, but we know why the victem was chosen and that is why we must support them, not point at them! to blame the convict is precise and correct, but is part of a larger picture, I still support the stump nailing however (so watch yourself rapists!). We cannot by any means look at a simple situation and believe that it is just one thing, for gods sake I found a link between Rape and Walt Disney, imagine the possibilities of truely finding THE larger picture, the true reason why it all happens.

Keep your minds open, be yourself, and protect not only yourself, but others as well.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Theres a difference between blaming the victim afterwards and giving advice as to ways of avoiding it. Nobody should ever be raped but it will happen. To me the officer is just giving tips on how to minimize the risk. Whether those tips are the best or not is a different area of discussion.