Blizzard Apologizes for Diablo III Launch Troubles

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
bringer of illumination said:
Abedeus said:
Did you play the game?

No?

Then shut up and don't say it's shitty without having played it. Rushed? It took 10 years to release, and was announced in... 2008 or 2009? That's not rushed.

I remember problems Half Life 2 had after release. Game was unplayable not for the first few hours, like D3, but DAYS.
You bet your ass it's rushed.

Most of the work that has ever been done on it has been throw out the window. Blizzard realized that one gargantuan cash cow isn't enough, so they designed the entire game around the Real Money Auction House.

If the current version was ACTUALLY being developed for 11 years, then it shouldn't be possible to beat it in 6 fucking hours.

Diablo 3 is a bigger disappointment than fucking Spore
You beat the entire game, to level 60, all difficulty levels, in 6 hours?

Wow. Time traveler, no less.

Unless you actually didn't play the game and pulled the "6 hours" out of your ass. 12 hours played, level 29 Wizard when I finished Normal Mode, after rushing half the content and just going from objective to objective. And that's after having experience from Beta about monsters and skills to use.

A person new to the game after 6 hours might be in Act 2 or about to finish Act 2.

Leadfinger said:
No. Can't. Log. on.
Weird. I've been able to start a Demon Hunter to level 7 (about half an hour) and few hours with level 22 Monk during last two days, that's how long the servers allowed me to log in.

And I still have no problems with logging in.

PingoBlack

Searching for common sense ...
Aug 6, 2011
Leadfinger said:
No. Can't. Log. on.
Try contacting Tech Support then. You are now very definitely a minority, unlike first two days when issues were very real.

As a paying customer you have access to support, correct?

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Just an update everyone- All of battle.net and blizzard.net, their subdirectories, and services are down at the moment. No WoW (as far as I've heard), no DIII, no SCII. Always-on drm sounds really great now doesn't it Blizzard?

PingoBlack

Aug 6, 2011
The.Bard said:
Again, we were NOT "clearly" informed how the game works. We were informed. Once. And then never spoken to about it again. To Casual Joe who doesn't surf the web - which I've seen many complaints from on this site alone - it was not clearly stated. And if not being able to login to play the game you just purchased constitutes "no leg to stand on," then yea, I suppose not.
See? Here is the crux of the argument.
You claim you were not adequately informed, while I seem to have managed to get the info as did a few others at least.

So herein lies the problem. The design decisions are not something we can change, but we can debate weather you were mislead into thinking Diablo 3 is not a online only game. (I won't expand this subject with the fine details of server hosted game vs online DRM like Steam, to simplify it.).

So the question is: Were the requirements for network connection clearly labeled?
Answer is ... Well ... Says on the box, required broadband.

Leadfinger

Apr 21, 2010
PingoBlack said:
Leadfinger said:
No. Can't. Log. on.
Try contacting Tech Support then. You are now very definitely a minority, unlike first two days when issues were very real.

I couldn't even access tech support. According to tangoprime (above), all battle.net is down. I'm definitely beginning to sour on always-on drm.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Leadfinger said:
PingoBlack said:
Leadfinger said:
No. Can't. Log. on.

I couldn't even access tech support. According to tangoprime (above), all battle.net is down. I'm definitely beginning to sour on always-on drm.
Confirmed, Battle Net, all subdirectories and folders, all services, Blizzard's website, store, all subdirectories and services are down. So at this point the only people able to play D3 or SC2 are the theives, while paying customers are shafted.

captcha: teflon president lol

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
PingoBlack said:
Leadfinger said:
No. Can't. Log. on.

Hey Pingo-
Try playing D3 right now. Or SC2. Or WoW. Or going to Blizzard's website. Or Battlenet. Or their store. It's all down, and has been for at least the last few hours.

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
PingoBlack said:
See? Here is the crux of the argument.
You claim you were not adequately informed, while I seem to have managed to get the info as did a few others at least.
As someone who works in marketing, let me put it to you this way. If I make a statement about my product that is absolutely accurate - but 65% of my customers misinterpret it, guess what?

I need to rethink what I'm saying, because I'm doing it WRONG.

But, no, the crux of the argument to me is not whether Blizzard informed people. To me, the crux of the argument is WHY D3 has no offline mode, and more importantly, HOW DO WE MAKE THIS KIND OF SLEAZY BUSINESS PRACTICE GO AWAY FOREVER? WHY punish people who want to play in an offline mode, especially when Blizzard half-assed the launch in such a cataclysmically bad way? (wocka wocka)

The game was not marketed as an MMO. Guild Wars, however, was! So if it's not marketed as an MMO, the forced online is a nasty li'l bit of DRM. I #@$&# HATE DRM. A lot of people also hate DRM.

The answer, of course, is Blizz wants to pillage our wallets. Combat piracy at the expense of the paying customer, and also to gold plate their cars with the money from a real money auction house. Both of those goals could still be fulfilled with an offline mode.

Intentional design or not, I think it's a crappy business tactic that I believe in vehemently fighting against. And I will continue to be vocal about it online because I think if people let it slide now, it's going to happen more and more frequently in the future.

And I for one don't feel like getting screwed out of money with some jerk in customer service telling me: "Oh, but it says we're screwing you right on the box!"

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
tangoprime said:
PingoBlack said:
Leadfinger said:
No. Can't. Log. on.

Hey Pingo-
Try playing D3 right now. Or SC2. Or WoW. Or going to Blizzard's website. Or Battlenet. Or their store. It's all down, and has been for at least the last few hours.
Is working for me. [http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/?-]

And I just logged into WoW to check if that was working. It is. A guildy received an epic 8 minutes ago as of this post, which is the time when you made your post.

Clearly, it's "not all down".

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Amnestic said:
tangoprime said:
PingoBlack said:
Leadfinger said:
No. Can't. Log. on.

Hey Pingo-

And I just logged into WoW to check if that was working. It is. A guildy received an epic 8 minutes ago as of this post, which is the time when you made your post.

All .us and .com services just came back up after being down for the last few hours. I guess .eu was still working?

PingoBlack

Aug 6, 2011
tangoprime said:
All .us and .com services just came back up after being down for the last few hours. I guess .eu was still working?
What I noticed earlier was some DNS errors, but I was still at work and using my corporation's DNS. It also proves a very important point I was making ...

DNS problems are not related to Blizzard but are global thing, usually related to ISPs. I know it's easy to throw blame without looking into details, but reality is often way more complex than people want it to be.

Saying DNS problems are Battle.Net fault is about the same level of inaccuracy as calling Diablo 3 servers online DRM while ignoring they actually run the game. :p

jbm1986

May 18, 2012
Yeah Blizz good job. I per-ordered the collectors edition ($100) 4 f**king months in advance. I couldn't play because my system wasn't up-to-date (partially my fault but still...) and even then after spending the time to get D3 to even install, I'm finally able to log in just to see a f**king "error 37"!? This happened not just one but two days in a row AND YOU'RE SORRY!? No, I'll tell ya what, I'm sorry for getting this DRM filled pile of fail.

Up yours Blizzard, up yours.

/rant

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
PingoBlack said:
Saying DNS problems are Battle.Net fault is about the same level of inaccuracy as calling Diablo 3 servers online DRM while ignoring they actually run the game. :p
So then the DNS problems ARE Battle.Net's fault? XD

You crack me up. You can argue semantics until you're blue in the face. DRM comes in 500 shapes and flavors. The fact that Diablo 3's online servers run the game is a completely superfluous bit of information. It's. Still. DRM.

Forbes thinks it's DRM in this EXCELLENT write up called "Diablo III Fans Should Stay Angry About Always Online DRM":

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/05/17/diablo-iii-fans-should-stay-angry-about-always-online-drm/ [http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/05/17/diablo-iii-fans-should-stay-angry-about-always-online-drm/]

And here's an article from Time, which also calls Diablo III "Online DRM":
http://techland.time.com/2012/05/18/diablo-iii-and-always-on-drm-bad-for-us-and-here-to-stay/ [http://techland.time.com/2012/05/18/diablo-iii-and-always-on-drm-bad-for-us-and-here-to-stay/]

So you can stop apologizing for Blizzard. They're using DRM. It's ok. If you still like the game, there's nothing wrong with that. Well, nothing other than your implicit support of the impending gaming apocalypse. ;)

And as if I haven't hammered this argument out of the ballpark already, let's top it off with fun applicable DRM definitions! WHeeee!!!

Digital rights management (DRM) is a class of access control technologies that are used by hardware manufacturers, publishers, copyright holders and individuals with the intent to limit the use of digital content and devices after sale. DRM is any technology that inhibits uses of digital content that are not desired or intended by the content provider.

Those opposed to DRM contend there is no evidence that DRM helps prevent copyright infringement, arguing instead that it serves only to inconvenience legitimate customers, and that DRM helps big business stifle innovation and competition.

Works can become permanently inaccessible if the DRM scheme changes or if the service is discontinued.

PingoBlack

Aug 6, 2011
The.Bard said:
You crack me up. You can argue semantics until you're blue in the face. DRM comes in 500 shapes and flavors. The fact that Diablo 3's online servers run the game is a completely superfluous bit of information. It's. Still. DRM.
I was only arguing more precise and clear communication.

All you posted is true, but on the other hand, Diablo 3 always online is not only taking care of DRM it does much more game vital functions. And as such is not quite as easy to separate DRM from other functions servers do, or even sensible. If game cannot run without servers, it doesn't matter much if it has DRM or not.

We could also debate whether Blizzard communicated clearly enough the always online requirement to buyers. I think this is more important from perspective of making a purchase decision.

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
PingoBlack said:
The.Bard said:
I was only arguing more precise and clear communication.

All you posted is true, but on the other hand, Diablo 3 always online is not only taking care of DRM it does much more game vital functions. And as such is not quite as easy to separate DRM from other functions servers do, or even sensible. If game cannot run without servers, it doesn't matter much if it has DRM or not.

We could also debate whether Blizzard communicated clearly enough the always online requirement to buyers. I think this is more important from perspective of making a purchase decision.
Now there's something we can agree on!

I agree; Diablo 3 is far more complex system than your run-of-the-mill DRM. And I do believe Blizzard will (eventually) do right by the customers (though I still won't buy it without an offline mode).

It's the EA/Ubisofts of the world that follow in their footsteps that have me legitimately worried about the future of offline, single player gaming.

PingoBlack

Aug 6, 2011
The.Bard said:
I agree; Diablo 3 is far more complex system than your run-of-the-mill DRM. And I do believe Blizzard will (eventually) do right by the customers (though I still won't buy it without an offline mode).

It's the EA/Ubisofts of the world that follow in their footsteps that have me legitimately worried about the future of offline, single player gaming.
I always join a beer and buy round two. :)

Yeah, Diablo 3 is best described as SC2 isometric rendering engine connected to WoW server system that provides all game logic, character database and item and mob generation. So offline mode is pretty much impossible sadly.

The key is the game is advertised clearly as what it is and people get value for money. That's why I am passionate about gamers being informed so they can vote with their wallets. That's what will get our argument noticed.

Leadfinger

Apr 21, 2010
Amnestic said:
tangoprime said:
PingoBlack said:
Leadfinger said:
No. Can't. Log. on.

Hey Pingo-

I tried logging on later and it worked! I rather like the game-it gives me the warm, fuzzy feeling Diablo I used to-but having to log into Blizzard's servers to play it is giving me the blues.

darkknight9

Feb 21, 2010
happy_turtle said:
Damn you Escapist,
When you have a hyperlink titled "wildebeest careering over a cliff." I expect, nay, demand a funny video to that effect.

Yours Sincerely,

Happy_turtle

darkknight9

Feb 21, 2010
Avaholic03 said:
Grey Carter said:
So, as expected, Diablo III launched with all the beauty and grace of a wildebeest careering over a cliff. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117262-Server-Issues-Mar-Diablo-IIIs-Launch]
Dude, not cool. With words like that, I expect to the link to go to a video of an actual wildebeest careening over a cliff. Color me disappointed.