Blizzard's Next-Gen MMO An "Enormous Investment"

Asturiel

the God of Pants
Nov 24, 2009
The way I see it going down is that this is Blizzards heir to the WoW throne, once the "new kid" takes it from WoW Blizzard will shift a lot of it's workforce to it, leaving WoW to fend for itself.

So in a way WoW never dies, but it's crippled by it's father spending time only with his newer, better son. Once this MMO is out I don't think were going to see yearly expansions for the warcraft giant :p

Then again this is all whispers and guessing so I'll wait till a later date to asses this.

Quesa

Jul 8, 2009
Been waiting to hear what Tigole's been working on for so long now.. can't wait ^_^

Fluse

Oct 26, 2009
Woodsey said:
So what, they're going to compete with themselves?

I can see them starting to develop something new if WoW figures started dropping, but there seems to be no point. Surely they're just splitting their fan base, and giving themselves twice (if not more, since they've got to launch a new MMO - which always need extra work done when released) the workload?

Personally I'm much more interested in TOR because, well, it's fucking Star Wars and BioWare.
You have to remember how old WoW already is + how long it usualy takes blizzard to develop a game. If they started dev on this new mmo in 2008, and an averege mmo takes some 5 years to make, this could very well be WoW's replacement, and not intended to launch untill 2015 or later.

As for bioware makeing an mmorpg, im not so sure... im a huge fan of their RPG's all the way back to baldur's gate but makeing an RPG and makeing an MMOrpg are to completely different things! Imho they have ALOT more to prove then blizzard when it comes to developing a mmorpg.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Honestly, the only thing that could hugely pique my interest was if I heard of a joint project between Blizzard and Bungie. It could be a massive piece of unholy shit that will forever go down as the worst team-up in history... or it could be a reemergence of, say, Starcraft Ghost... or not. I'm basically just trying to think of the potential magic those two companies could create together.

If you throw BioWare into that formula, you could have the ultimate game on your hands.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
We haven't heard any news about Diablo3 lately, correct? My theory is that Blizzard decided to scrap the entire project, only to re-roll it as an mmo. Think about it, WoW is practically digitized crack, and the only thing making it any more potent would be the nigh-insta gratification of boss killing and loot that Diablo offers. Not sure if that strictly counts as a new IP, but I'll let the linguistic legal folk worry about that.

Lncredible

Mar 23, 2009
Wellllll if blizzard want to innovate I don't think it would be on a game that breaks their personal record for spending. That would just be silly. I think the game will probably borrow heavily from established archetypes, but of course with their own twist of familiarity and possibly some original thought.

I think it is certain it won't be a brand spanking new genre or anything.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
thethingthatlurks said:
We haven't heard any news about Diablo3 lately, correct? My theory is that Blizzard decided to scrap the entire project, only to re-roll it as an mmo. Think about it, WoW is practically digitized crack, and the only thing making it any more potent would be the nigh-insta gratification of boss killing and loot that Diablo offers. Not sure if that strictly counts as a new IP, but I'll let the linguistic legal folk worry about that.
This new story isn't brand new, just new information about it from Kotick.

I'd heard a fair amount previously and they've said on numerous occasions that this is new IP, and have specifically said it's not Warcraft, Starcraft, Diablo, or even Lost Vikings :) They haven't ruled out making a Starcraft MMO, but it's not coming any time soon, or even not soon.

Also, how could they make a Diablo MMO sufficiently different from WoW without competing directly against their current game?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
thethingthatlurks said:
We haven't heard any news about Diablo3 lately, correct? My theory is that Blizzard decided to scrap the entire project, only to re-roll it as an mmo.
Yeeeeeeeeeeah, no.

Fluse said:
Woodsey said:

I can see them starting to develop something new if WoW figures started dropping, but there seems to be no point. Surely they're just splitting their fan base, and giving themselves twice (if not more, since they've got to launch a new MMO - which always need extra work done when released) the workload?

Personally I'm much more interested in TOR because, well, it's fucking Star Wars and BioWare.
You have to remember how old WoW already is + how long it usualy takes blizzard to develop a game. If they started dev on this new mmo in 2008, and an averege mmo takes some 5 years to make, this could very well be WoW's replacement, and not intended to launch untill 2015 or later.

As for bioware makeing an mmorpg, im not so sure... im a huge fan of their RPG's all the way back to baldur's gate but makeing an RPG and makeing an MMOrpg are to completely different things! Imho they have ALOT more to prove then blizzard when it comes to developing a mmorpg.
I don't think BioWare of all people need to prove themselves. The point with TOR is that the difference between an RPG and an MMORPG isn't all that different in the way they're making it, which is one of the main attractions for me in the first place.

steamweedlegoblin

Apr 28, 2010
Jeronus said:
It's official, folks. The makers of WoW are going to try to kill WoW. I am reminded of the phrase " I brought you in to this world and I can take you out ". Could WoW have peaked and is now beginning its downward spiral? A new MMO from Blizzard could be sign of the WoWocalypse.
I'd be a little wary about holding up "the end is nigh" signs for WoW just yet. The good people over at Blizzard, bless them, take a crazy long time to release their games. Seeing as how nothing has been unveiled about this game, I'd say there's a good 5+ years before it launches.

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
We knew the new MMO was going to be a completely new IP since we heard about it in the first place, this isn't really news so much as a reminder, in case we happened to have lost our trust in Activision Blizzard or whatever. Why would that happen ... At any rate, if anything less than 500 million goes into the new MMO, i would be thoroughly disappointed. Can't really give an opinion for Buingie. Except that we knew that was going to be a new IP too long ago.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Something other than WoW? lolz. I bet they will also stop driving cars, and instead scoot to work dog-itching-its-ass style.

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
thethingthatlurks said:
I dont see that happening at all.

I'd like to see the new blizz MMO not be followed by the letters RPG. There were some great points made in this weeks Extra Credits and I think it's high time to allow for some other genres to get a shine in MMOs.

Additionally, suppose Blizzard made some kind of MMOFPS, there wouldnt be an issue with splitting their fanbase in WoW. As well as that, if they split their fan base anyway, as long as those fans go to their new game, what does it matter for them? It's like if Burger King made another chain of resturants called "The Burger Joint" and suddenly people stopped going to BK and went to TBJ instead. The money will still flow to the same pockets.

Fluse

Oct 26, 2009
Woodsey said:
thethingthatlurks said:
We haven't heard any news about Diablo3 lately, correct? My theory is that Blizzard decided to scrap the entire project, only to re-roll it as an mmo.
Yeeeeeeeeeeah, no.

Fluse said:
Woodsey said:

I don't think BioWare of all people need to prove themselves. The point with TOR is that the difference between an RPG and an MMORPG isn't all that different in the way they're making it, which is one of the main attractions for me in the first place.
Dont get me wrong, i think bioware are more then capable of makeing a good game. But this is their fist stab at an mmorpg! I also remember the Hype leading up to star wars galaxies. Made by SOE and funded by Sony... i mean, SOE had done it before, and sony had the money. But they still managed to screw the thing up completely.

And honestly, a MMOrpg and rpg are not the same thing, if you think its gonna be a bioware RPG type thing your honestly buying to much into the media hype... Think about it for a few mins, i think u'll realise just how different an RPG is to a MMOrpg.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Alfador_VII said:
thethingthatlurks said:
This new story isn't brand new, just new information about it from Kotick.

I'd heard a fair amount previously and they've said on numerous occasions that this is new IP, and have specifically said it's not Warcraft, Starcraft, Diablo, or even Lost Vikings :) They haven't ruled out making a Starcraft MMO, but it's not coming any time soon, or even not soon.

Also, how could they make a Diablo MMO sufficiently different from WoW without competing directly against their current game?
If I had any idea, would I have made such a far fetched suggestion? :D

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Fluse said:
Woodsey said:
thethingthatlurks said:
Yeeeeeeeeeeah, no.

Fluse said:
Woodsey said:

Dont get me wrong, i think bioware are more then capable of makeing a good game. But this is their fist stab at an mmorpg! I also remember the Hype leading up to star wars galaxies. Made by SOE and funded by Sony... i mean, SOE had done it before, and sony had the money. But they still managed to screw the thing up completely.

And honestly, a MMOrpg and rpg are not the same thing, if you think its gonna be a bioware RPG type thing your honestly buying to much into the media hype... Think about it for a few mins, i think u'll realise just how different an RPG is to a MMOrpg.
Yeah, I've played an MMO before.

WoW was also Blizzard's first stab at an MMO, and I think we can all say that that didn't go too shabbily.

The point of TOR is that they can provide a mostly single-player experience (if that's what you want) inside an MMOG environment. It's fully-voiced, classes have their own storylines, etc. etc.

I never said they were the same thing, I said BioWare were closing the gap. That gap is what puts people like me off of MMORPGs to begin with.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
Sevre90210 said:
I feel another MMO war coming up, just like the classic WoW vs Guild Wars. 'Cept while everyone else shouts about SWTOR and the BlizzMMO I'll be playing Guild Wars 2. Hehehe.
Oh, come on. Wow is like Roman empire and Guild Wars are just like barbarian tribes. Theres no way WoW could lose...
EDIT: fixed

Hyper-space

Nov 25, 2008
Woodsey said:

Or maybe they are trying to capture all the non-wow players. I mean, they KNOW all the complaints and shortcomings of WoW so maybe they are making a new game that would completely dominate all those who do not like WoW. Thereby dominating the MMO market even further.