Body Quirks

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I have chameleon eyes. There isn't a dominant lazy eye, they just take shifts, and I can switch to which one I want to use. I still get a visual feed from the other one, but I only focus out of one at a time.

My sense of smell is extremely weak, but of course it's fine whenever I walk into a public restroom.

My canines would not come out until the dentist just pulled them. Now one sticks out weird, but it's hardly noticeable because I let my wisdom teeth come in and it really messed up the bottom row.

Apparently Wikipedia doesn't have an entry for this, so maybe it's just taste, but I certainly feel like I have nyctophilia. Also high functioning autism that makes me very sensitive to things like having things in my ears, water, doctor light thing, etc. The only other thing it affects is social interaction, basically wrecked it, but meh.

I too have the thing where if I make a fist every joint in my fingers crackle.

My face is asymmetrical, but that's not a huge thing.

I have inverted nipples, although since I'm a guy it's not something that keeps me up at night, still weird though.

Mmm, probably shouldn't share the last one, let's leave it at unbelievable bad luck.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
I have a distended abdominal wall (not the correct medical term). That means that even when I managed to get my fat levels below 10% my abdomen would extend well past my chest, giving me a gut with a six pack. As I got older and began to eat like a power lifter my fat levels rose above 15% but my abdomen is still extended the same distance proportionate to the rest of me.

Due to my sensory defensiveness I could never allow my pant-line to put pressure under my waist (muffin top) so I learned early on to constantly suck my gut in. Ten years later and I actually need to think to let my gut come out otherwise my abdomen is completely flat with no bulge and a healthy 2pack/parallel bars. The plus side is that it turns out that doing so sufficiently supplemented my normal abdominal workouts so that I can deadlift and squat more than a person my size normally does without a belt.

Oh, and if you did not notice already, I am sensory defensive to the Nth degree.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
I had chicken pox twice as a young'un and the second time they became infected. I've got round chicken-pox scars all over my body.

Honestly, I've grown to love them.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
I've got wider hips then usual for a guy to go along with naturally more muscly legs which makes me look out of proportion compared to the ideal inverse V shape an "ideal" guy should have.
Oh I'm also extremely flexible at my legs for w/e reason (usually stronger limbs are less flexible I thought, but this is another reason why I genuinely like my mighty legs).

I also seem to have prominent spine, once in a fight with a dude, one of his friends tried punching my back and in reflex I puffed out my back slightly and the guy hit the ridges of my spine and was howling in pain and holding his fist as if he had hit a brick wall. Oh my side I didn't feel anything for w/e reason, it must have hit my spine "just right".

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
One eye has a double eyelid, the other doesn't. It was a strange day when I woke up to see that, let me tell you! It was surprising how much of an impact your eyes can have on your face; I covered each side and one looked significantly more cheerful than the other. I also have really long fingernails and I don't mean the white tips, I mean the actual pink nail. My fingertips are my nails, except for my thumbs, and if you were to cut them any further it'd be taking off the actual finger. Finger-modelling is therefore my back-up career.

Mr.Tea said:
Welp, that's another. I've always wondered whether it was normal but at least now I can take comfort in that half the population shares this form.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
My fingers and toes are a bit crooked. The fingers hurt a lot as well, which will only increase as I get older... It's supposedly some genetic bullshit that runs in the family. My grandmother have it, but I can't remember the name.

Apart from that I can also make my eyes shake wildly and move my ears slightly!

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
DanielBrown said:
Apart from that I can also make my eyes shake wildly
I had forgotten I could do that as well, I thought I was the only one!

Do you sort of start to squint/focus on a point just in front of your eyes, then stop half-way into it and just "lock" it?
eye-spasm ahoy!

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Vendor-Lazarus said:
DanielBrown said:

Do you sort of start to squint/focus on a point just in front of your eyes, then stop half-way into it and just "lock" it?
eye-spasm ahoy!
Hehe, same here. I just remembered I could do it a few days ago actually.
No, I can do it instantly without any effort. Don't know how to describe it really, but I think I simply tense up the muscles around the eyes. Only known one other who could do it, though he had to focus really hard and they didn't move as fast as mine did. Maybe I'm an eye shaking prodigy? What evolutionary advantages does it bring me, I wonder!

Also remembered that I can spread all my toes! It's probably pretty common, though it took a damn lot of training before I was able to do it.

Nouw said:
I also have really long fingernails and I don't mean the white tips, I mean the actual pink nail. My fingertips are my nails, except for my thumbs, and if you were to cut them any further it'd be taking off the actual finger. Finger-modelling is therefore my back-up career.
You don't happen to be African or have some African blood in you(maybe a family secret has just been revealed!)?
I remember a thread on this site where a black guy complained about having issues playing with console controllers because his nails were connected to the tip of his fingers. Apparently black people have generally slimmer and longer fingers, where the nails go all the way up. Genetic advantage for digging or something!
Haven't exactly spent my life studying hands, but I checked some pictures after his statement and it seemed to be correct.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
My knees make a soft grinding sound if I put significant amounts of weight on them when bent. It doesn't hurt or anything, but the noise is a bit freaky. Doctor says it's harmless.

I have crazy good hearing. Sounds cool, but really isn't. To me, most people seem to talk that little bit too loud. Plus I end up hearing stuff I'd really rather not. (Yes, couple in the next room, I can hear every single movement you're making no matter how discreet you think you're being. No, doing it under the blankets isn't going to change that.)

My skull is shaped kinda funny at the back. It stick backwards more than most people's. The first time I saw myself in profile I was horrified.

I can constantly feel my own pulse, throughout my entire body. Of course I generally ignore it (the same way you learn to ignore the sound of traffic if you live on a busy road). I'm not sure if this is normal or not.

I am developing a bald spot at the tender age of 26. Fucking genetics. Thanks dad!

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Zhukov said:
Head tattoos. Lots and lots of head tattoos. You know it makes sense.

OT: My bones shift, crack and pop a lot. I sometimes get a shiver that runs down one side of my body or the other. I used to have an extra set of teeth that grew down from the roof of my mouth. My eyes don't match any other part of my face. I have also been told that my feet and legs are not "shaped normally". Can't really say I've done a study, though.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
I have a single hair on the underside of my forearm that's white and grows about as long as my palm (fingers and all). And a hair on my right eyebrow that does a similar thing (except it's only 2-3 times longer than the rest of the eyebrow hairs).

I also have all of my milk 2nd molars (I'm 24).

Also my best feature: My right man boob is significantly larger than my left man boob.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
FPLOON said:
Other than that... uh... I can twist either one of my legs a full 90 degrees...
Is that... unusual? I can go past 90, and I'm not what you'd call flexible. I can form a >180 degree angle with my feet while keeping my knees together. I honestly have no idea if this is unusual or not.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
DanielBrown said:
Vendor-Lazarus said:
DanielBrown said:

eye-spasm ahoy!
Hehe, same here. I just remembered I could do it a few days ago actually.
No, I can do it instantly without any effort. Don't know how to describe it really, but I think I simply tense up the muscles around the eyes. Only known one other who could do it, though he had to focus really hard and they didn't move as fast as mine did. Maybe I'm an eye shaking prodigy? What evolutionary advantages does it bring me, I wonder!
Hmmm. Yeah, muscle tension around the eyes, more specifically, the uppermost "inner" sides?
Can you, uhm..cross your eyes? Titta i kors alltså?
You don't happen to have any Viking ancestors maybe? Could be a good berserker trick. ^^

Generalissimo

Your Commander-in-Chief
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
UK
I have afew, some of which rather annoy me. here's a list:

1. My achilles tendons wear out far too easily
2. When cold, my skin becomes pale and vein-y
3. When tired, my eyes become bloodshot enough to think i'm high
4. there's more colour on my right arm than left

yeah, not great

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
Zhukov said:
I am developing a bald spot at the tender age of 26. Fucking genetics. Thanks dad!
Started that nonsense at 21 or 22.
Some bullshit...

C'est la vie.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Hmmm. Yeah, muscle tension around the eyes, more specifically, the uppermost "inner" sides?
Can you, uhm..cross your eyes? Titta i kors alltså?
You don't happen to have any Viking ancestors maybe? Could be a good berserker trick. ^^
Not sure, feels like it's all around the eyes. The only thing I really notice is that after a while the lower right side of my right eye starts twitching a bit, probably due to a nerv spazzing out. Never tried crossing my eyes, so I don't think I can do it. Gonna check some techniques and try to learn it later!
Viking ancestry is probable. I'm close to two meters tall, muscular build with very broad shoulders and thick hair down to my lower back. I can't grow a proper beard though. :C

Oh well, still close enough to go bärsärk with style!

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
I crack, too. A lot. And when I twist my arms I can hear an audible crackling sound, like I'm crushing something in there.

Dirkie

Feb 3, 2009
For more spectacular boring defects I can tell I have some...
When it gets cold i tend to turn purple with orange spots.
My right knee cracks like a bag of marbles when i tense the muscles in my leg when i'm standing.
And besides that i'm blessed with overly sensitive hearing and a set of eyes that are so sensitive to light that my left eye just feeds "WHITE" signals and my right eye gives an image not unlike those old black-and-white images that came out of a fax machine, so outside in the sun i'm almost half blind, i can locate people by hearing and i crack.

Enizer

Mar 20, 2009
Lets see, first of all, I'm a supertaster, and it's really not a good name for it, because it's much more of a handicap then it is a superpower.
Just, so many many things taste absoloutly HORRIBLE.
The other day my friends were eating something they really liked, they all agreed that it was very sweet, and a bit salty
to me, it was like an old spunge saturated with vinegar, they shrugged and finished the whole thing, while i was:
"but, guys? really? this is NOT. FOOD. just, EWW, I wouldn't eat this if I got paid for it".

Similarly, a certain thai sauce, both my brothers love it.
I quite literally compare the flavor to gasoline.
I had to empty a gas tank from a broken vehicle once, and got a drop of it on my tounge, that's pretty much what that sauce tastes like to me.
That was the thing that made me go look up if it was me who was different, because if everyone tasted the same, that thing would not be a food product..

On the other hand, I have almost no sense of smell.
If I notice that something kind of smells, everyone else will have already fled the area
at least that's got some use, I can clean all the things that smell horrible, and not really understand why other people wont go near it :p

And last but not least, I have very bad hearing on my right ear, 99.99% of the time,
about once a year, the constant whining i'm used to in that ear, vanishes, and I CAN HEAR EVERYTHING EVER.
Even the cat sneaking past me, I just have to move him to a different room because his footsteps are incredibly loud
(I normally never notice him at all, there is just suddenly a cat in front of me)