Bosses/enemies you feel sorry about killing

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Raddra said:
In guild wars 2, I can't stand having to fight/kill Skritt.

These adorable little ratmen/women who have the most ridiculously cute voices. I hate it when they're set to agro. Its like beating on hamsters. Just makes me feel bad when they say something like 'm.. maybe help will come..?' or something as they realize they're losing.
Dude I'm with you on that one.

"It's Mine! MY cannonball!"

Jeez, can't we just let them have their damn cannonballs. *snif*

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
I totally agree with the Big Daddies now that I've read that, but for the one that made me pop up anyway:

<spoiler=Panzer Dragoon Orta spoiler of sorts...for anyone that wants to play that but hasn't yet for some reason>There's a boss towards the end that's...kind of a giant multi-winged flying sea serpent? Something like that.

Anyway, you attack it and build up in power through the fight as a way of dragging your way back to strength after being blown up. Meanwhile, the thing you're fighting gets increasingly desperate and tears it's feathers/scales off and hurls them into the air to stop you periodically.

By the end of the fight, you back off and let it go once several smaller creatures fly to it's side crying out to it, at which point the main character realizes that the thing you've been killing is a mother that's just trying to protect it's children. You get remorseful and try to leave it be, at which point another character swoops down and kills the lot of them, thinking you're just incapable of doing it yourself.

You don't technically kill them, but it's you fighting them in the first place that directly lines them up to be killed, and is the reason for it. Then you get the joy in replays of fighting this boss again, knowing exactly what the context of the fight is instead of being just a faceless boss encounter.

VondeVon

Dec 30, 2009
Resonance of Fate's Cardinal Lagerfeld. After getting over the rage of how difficult he was to kill, anyway.

Insanity72

Feb 14, 2011
Lord Garnaat said:
There's a mission later on in Oblivion where you can help the current champion of the Arena- a really nice and honorable orc guy- find out who his true father was. Turns out he was a vampire, and the champ is so distraught at finding this out that when you work your way up to challenging him he doesn't even fight back. He just sits there, begging you to kill him so he doesn't have to live with the shame of being a monster's son. And what's worse, there's no way of getting out of it: you have to kill him if you want to leave.

I felt awful after it was all over, and being the champion hardly seemed worth the despair.
This, but also because it counts as a murder for joining the Dark brotherhood, whenever I checked my inventory and I saw that dagger of woe, I felt terrible.

Amaury_games said:
when I suddenly saw what it appeared to be a line of text saying "Dovahkin! Please stop!" or something like that.
He doesn't say that he says something like. "What? Dovakin! No!, as in he realised that he wouldn't be able to come back to life after you killed him

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
The Rakhive in Borderlands. :(

Seriously! The thing went down so fast and with so little resistance it was more like murdering a dog than fighting a boss battle. I didn't even get much of a feeling it was actually trying to hurt me. And then afterwards it just lay there, gasping for breath and with its organs spilling out...

Felt bad every time I had to walk past it.

C F

Jan 10, 2012
Scarim Coral said:
The Wyvern rider (the red hair girl as I can't remember her name) father in Fire Emblem: Radience Dawn. You heard from others that he is a good man and he is pretty much forced to fight for his evil nation but none the less still fight against you.
Ah, Jill and her father Shiharam. I just finished with a hard-mode re-play of Path of Radiance, and from what you see and hear about him throughout the game and its sequel, Shiharam was an excellent commander. While most of Daein's commanders under their Mad King are remorseless, power-grabbing baddies, a few of them actually fight with honor.

Special mention goes to Bryce, of Daein's Four Riders, who only sticks around out of loyalty to his country and its royal bloodline. He's actually a pretty nice guy, and since he appears on the final map with the Mad King Ashnard himself, he doesn't actually count as the boss. On one playthrough, I actually made a point to keep him alive through to the end of the battle (though playing cat-and-mouse with a skilled general wielding a powerful throwing spear while trying to kill the rest of his men has to be a well-calculated effort; one slip up and your units' heads will roll).

Of the game's sequel, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, there's the egnimatic one-man army and member of the Four Riders, the Black Knight. Depending on your luck with that penultimate duel in the last game, he either got cut down by Ike and/or had a castle collapse on him.
...He survived (because when you're that awesome, why die?), and is back in action to fight for a broken Daein's liberation and reconstruction. As parts of the game are spent from the point of view of a band of Daein freedom fighters, the Black Knight appears on the field to fight for you.
Over the course of the game, you learn more about him, and find out that he isn't such a bad guy, he just follows the orders of his boss. Then you find out his life's story, including who he and his boss really are, and I couldn't help but feel sorry for him when the game finally pits him against Ike in an all-or-nothing match.

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
Bystanders and cops in Grand Theft Auto.

Randomly killing people in GTAIV is completely without consequence, and in previous games they'd just run away like a screamy swarm, or just fall over dead. In GTAIV, people react more realistically to being shot. People hit by cars stagger around in obvious agony, people shot will lie there writing on the ground, and I feel godawful for hurting people. I've failed missions, been killed and various other failures for trying not to kill people.

When I absolutely have to shoot someone, I'll shoot for the legs and feet to at least put them down without killing. I can be surrounded by cops, losing health on four stars and I'll still try to not kill them.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
I actually felt bad for killing Queen Myyrah at the end of Gears 3. The Locust were being killed off by the Lambent and she was only doing what was best for her people.

General RAAM and Skorge on the other hand...yeah, I didn't feel too bad killing them.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I'll throw in another vote for the Colossi from Shadow of the Colossus. Particularly the fourth one. It's a

pretty little horse colossus. :( Well okay, maybe not little, but it's so pretty.

GamerAddict7796

Jun 2, 2010
That lawyer in GTA IV that you kill for Francis MacReary.
Throughout the game you can tell people to shove their jobs where the sun don't shine but in this you have to kill and innocent lawyer trying to stop corruption in the police force then wipe out his innocent guards? No! Fuck you MacReary!

Apr 5, 2008
I had a horrible choice which I was very unhappy at having to make during the Imperial Agent storyline in SWTOR.

On Nar Shadaa, the Agent gets help from Watcher X, an ex-member of the Intelligence Service who learned too much, lost his mind a bit and got "retired" to a max security facility on the criminal world. He advised the Agent, plants the seeds that II might not be playing it straight with him, that there's more going on than he believes.

At the tail end of the Agent's stay on Nar Shadaa, Watcher X helps arrange a distraction for the Agent to carry out his mission and himself, takes the opportunity to escape. The Agent tracks him to a shuttle bay as he's making his getaway and after a brief fight, is left with the choice of executing him or sparing him. I pullled the trigger...

The main problem I had with the decision is that I didn't want to make the one I did. However mine was the Light-Side choice while "sparing" him was the Dark-Side choice. As I had comitted to running my IA as strictly LS, the choice was made for me, but I believe it was the wrong one. I didn't want to make that choice and believe it should have been the other way around. They mislabelled them but in the name of RP, I had to make a choice *I* the player didn't wish to.

Still bugs me even now. I didn't make the choice for a quarter of an hour, just staring at the two options, even taking a break in the middle to have a think. If I could go back, I would have done it differently. I would have killed for a quick save/quick load option, or the ability to replay the story arc from that point on to see the alternative.

I also made the decision there that if I continued playing, I wouldn't again make a "strictly" light-side or dark-side character. The benefits to sticking to one path (using "Artifacts" before level 50 and an exclusive vendor for max LS/DS) are outweighed, I believe, by sticking religiously to only one path and being unable to choose the story options I want. The same goes for other games, that choice made me make one to play the character *I* want to play, and not one dictated by a moral-choice system.

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
Ninja Gaiden 3: that one bit where there is one of those terrorists pleading for his life and telling me about his children and the game wouldn't let me continue until I murdered him.

Mortal Kombat: that bit where Skorpian is tricked by Quan Chi into killing Sub Zero.

Syndicate: Killing the Rebel leader made me feel like I'd just further fucked up things to the state of the un-unfuckable.

Spec Ops: Everybody I ever killed in that game.

Shellshock 2: At the end where you can either kill your brother who you've been searching for the entire game but is infected with a killer virus, or the scientist who engineered the virus who your brother has been trying to kill.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
The Colossus in Shadow of the Colossus, although considering that game's whole point was "You should not kill these beautiful creatures, but you need to anyway because it's a game and you're turning into a monster for doing it," that's probably a slow ball.

I couldn't find the peaceful talking solutions through Dr Mobius and the Think Tank in New Vegas: Old World Blues, and being forced to kill them bothered me. Also, when watching a friend play through the Divide (I haven't managed yet), I thought it was a real waste when he killed Ulysses (although hilarious, as he did it with a High Yield Mini Nuke "Alright Courier, it's time to settle this, have our last battle, and--" BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!"

Priceless, lol)

Eomega123

Jan 4, 2011
The7Sins said:
Eomega123 said:
Oblivion: Shivering Isles.

I hated killing Jyggalag because it meant that Sheogorath, the funniest npc of any game I've ever played, was gone forever. If I'd just let the Greymarch happen then Sheogorath could have had another glorious era of chaotic rule, but I had to be a big damn hero and save the day, ridding the Elder Scrolls of the greatest npc it will ever know.
Um spoilers below on Sheogorath's fate....

Get Skyrim. Don't worry Sheogorath gets better. Though it is hinted @ through the conversation he is in fact the player character of Oblivion cursed to become the new Sheogorath after Jyggalag names him the new Prince of Madness @ the end of the DLC.
Continued Sheogorath spoilers below.

I'm well aware that there is a Sheogorath in Skyrim, but I'm also well aware that the former prince of madness is now Jyggalag. New Sheogorath is fine, but the true Sheogorath is effectively dead. And that makes me sad.