Bosses/enemies you feel sorry about killing

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Hyperone said:
Felt bad for killing an opponent? You know, I really can't pick a particular villain I have ever felt bad for destroying. I feel worse when I kill a cutesy mob than any boss.
Ugh. I totally have trouble with this. Sometimes I stop attacking for hope they'll run away and I won't have to kill them.

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
Witty Name Here said:
I have to say Dark Souls has two examples for me.

One would have to be Artorias The Abysswalker.

A proud, loyal night. Perhaps one of the nicest, most honorable, and truly "knightly" characters in the game. He was just a great knight fighting against the ultimate incarnation of darkness and suffering in the world... And then he's corrupted and goes mad. The man he was, what he did, all of that didn't matter at that point, he was nothing but a living corpse at that point. I haven't fought him yet, but after following his "legend" on the wiki, it was a bit... Sad to see such a great man be corrupted.

And also, the final boss.

Gwyn, the Lord of Cinder.

Now, I haven't fought him either, but I'm fast approaching the end of the game... Dear lord, from what I've learned this will be absolutely terrible. You don't really learn much of Gwyn, but when you see him in the intro, you know that man has a sense of greatness to him. He is, quite possibly, one of the few truly, absolutely "heroic" characters in the game. Yet his fate is terribly heartbreaking. His sacrifice may be in vane, his son is unwilling to succeed him, the fire's slowly going out, those he trusted most have gone mad... You don't have some final speech, he doesn't even get an introduction, it's just a great man who was broken, who charges at you out of insanity.

The fact he doesn't even get a cutscene just goes to show how far he's fallen... He was just a hollow at that point, nothing was left of the mighty Lord of Sunlight.

The music doesn't help either.

<youtube=QH3mbB3H57g>
And when you fight him you'll soon realize that even though he is but a mere shadow of his former self he is till impossibly powerful. Hell he even shared his power out to his Dukes and he's still more powerful than them. Where'd you get the "His son is unwilling to succeed him" though? you have much thoughts on who the son is? or did you mean Gwindolin?

One Boss i never understood was the MoonLight Butterfly actually. He's just there, chilling out on the castle and then decides to block your way and fight you?.

Gwindolin is also quite tragic and i didn't mention him in my post before. Just trying to gather the shattered pieces of Anor Londo and gain some admiration from his father/ Sister.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
MasterOfHisOwnDomain said:
The Wykydtron said:
I honestly can't see a reason why you would even consider killing her since she's questionably the only truly innocent person in the entire game [...]
Achievement Unlocked: Kill Crossbreed Priscilla ... there's why I killed her. I would say Dusk of Oolacile is more innocent than her.

The only boss I felt sorry for in Dark Souls has to be Sif. And don't get me started about how heartbreaking it will be to kill him after completing the DLC (which I plan to do)
... because in the new intro to the fight, he acknowledges that he has met you in the past and is reluctant to fight you.
...I had to watch it on Youtube, because I had no idea this existed.

Now I feel even worse than I normally do after fighting him. Partly because of this new information, and partially because I already fought him on my playthrough, without knowing about the updated features after fighting in the DLC.

FUCK.

Edit: After reading some of the comments, I have to also agree with the boss of world 5 from Demon's Souls. I felt like such a massive dick. Spoilerized for convenience:

Maiden Astraea, who only lived there because she knew the truth about God, specifically that God was a) evil or b) basically nonexistent. And also Garl Vinland, her guard.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
the baddies in Bastion, after I knew the truth about what happened I hated killing them

Alex Kerns

Aug 20, 2012
The only villian I've truly felt sorry killing was General Knoxx in DLC3 of Borderlands. That man had one of the roughest careers I've ever heard of... And some of the best lines in the entire game.

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
Twyce said:
The Wykydtron said:
Twyce said:
Wait waaaaaaaa?!!! You can actually let that happen? I just jumped in because random murders are just uncool man. It was a totally innocent little midnight adventure in the Queen's bedchambers after all.

I am so sure I missed half the main quest informational stuff. Or maybe it just suffers from a sort of plot amnesia... Like when the King rages at you for that little tryst, has you whipped in the dungeons then after a few quests he gives you a shitton of stuff, money and his own blessing.

It's the curse of overly open world games I suppose, especially if the side quests have story in them and can expire over time.
Oh yea, I let her die. On my first play through I saved her and got the whipping scene and I was just PISSED. Mainly because I was playing as a chick and it annoyed me to no end that the game had the Duchess automatically fall in love with me during the first conversation (no joke). I also really didn't want her to be my love interest at the end of the game. I had to cover my bases!!

You think its bad that the king gave you all the crap for attempting to sleep with his wife, if you let her die, NO ONE EVER MENTIONS IT AGAIN! Never, not once. It's like it never happened.

So yea, I agree. The game was all over the place with the plot (that's a subject for another thread though). I still enjoyed the hell out of it.

Also, to stay on topic, I also felt bad for...
defeating the dragon at the end, even if he was a ***** to kill. He was like my wise mentor who only had good intentions...which were shown by eating my heart...
Not to mention that he
kills Salvation's leader. Really though Grigori is a far better villain than Alduin from Skyrim. You may say that he really isn't a villain but he is merely by filling that slot in the game. The biggest reason he is pitiable is because he hints in his dialogue that if you fail to kill him he will end the world while also dropping subtle hints that he doesn't want to see that happen. The worst part of that however is that Grigori has no say in the matter because his higher up is god and you can't deny god.

NickKuroshi0

Dec 23, 2010
General Knoxx from Borderlands, he just was not having a good week.
The Big Daddies from Bioshock, they were just protecting their little sisters and I had to kill them, it really hurt me on the inside. ;(

Lord Garnaat

Apr 10, 2012
There's a mission later on in Oblivion where you can help the current champion of the Arena- a really nice and honorable orc guy- find out who his true father was. Turns out he was a vampire, and the champ is so distraught at finding this out that when you work your way up to challenging him he doesn't even fight back. He just sits there, begging you to kill him so he doesn't have to live with the shame of being a monster's son. And what's worse, there's no way of getting out of it: you have to kill him if you want to leave.

I felt awful after it was all over, and being the champion hardly seemed worth the despair.

GTwander

Mar 26, 2008
Probably Seifer in FFXIII.
Dude was an asshole, but also totally pathetic. Didn't deserve the ass-handing I gave him...
...but then again, he did disfigure the lead's face. Even though he got the same in return.

Utrechet

Oct 14, 2010
Zeke, from infamous 2. Even on the evil side, it still ripped my heart out.

Half as long...

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
In mass effect when I did a renegade play though, I killed the rachni queen, I felt like crap for doing it. Sure she was a giant bug thing but it was capable of thought, she had been subjected nasty experiments, had her children screwed up so they could be made into living weapons and all with the justification that since her species had been a threat it was ok.

D-Soul

Sep 5, 2012
My example(s) has been said but I'll add on to them.

Andrew Ryan(Bioshock)-You think for half the game that this guy is a bastard and you need to drop him but come after the Plot twist. You wonder why he didn't try to prevent you from killing.

Agustus Sinclair(Bioshock 2)- Yes I know he's a good guy but
After that ***** Sofia Lamb get his hands on him she turns him into an Alpha series Big Daddy sent to kill you(Delta) it felt a little gut wrenching knowing this guy helped you out in the game even though he had his own motives to having to kill him because he turned into a mindless beast.

Alex Kerns said:
The only villian I've truly felt sorry killing was General Knoxx in DLC3 of Borderlands. That man had one of the roughest careers I've ever heard of... And some of the best lines in the entire game.
Agreed. this dude dedicated his life to the Crimson Lance to just not getting promoted and having a KID have a higher rank than him. You can tell he stop caring latter and latter in the DLC and he will make sure he drops your butt
You beat him, and you if you actually listen to him during the fight, He wants you to kill him! And if you get the DLC4 he comes back as a cyborg and still says the same thing about wanting death.

It's finally over...I see a bright light. It's blinding... beautiful...no, wait. That's just the sun. Shit.-General Knoxx-Trap

Amaury_games

Oct 13, 2010
In Skyrim, I got to the part where I could kill my first dragon. However, I kind of went into a trance of shooting it with arrows and staring at his health bar getting smaller, when I suddenly saw what it appeared to be a line of text saying "Dovahkin! Please stop!" or something like that. I just caught a glimpse of it, but I'm pretty sure I saw the word Dovahkin (even before my character knew she was one), so my guess is that the only one that could be calling me that was the dragon, and it was begging me to spare his life. But I saw the text too late and fired my last arrow at it. After I absorbed him, I felt like crap and the only dragons I killed since then were the ones that attacked me. I really don't feel like hunting dragons that are just hiding in the mountains, without causing any trouble to anyone. It just feels wrong.

Also, SPOILER WARNING - CAUTION - SPOILER WARNING!!!

I hated that I had to kill that guy that asked me to help him get rid of a Daedra in an abandoned house in Markarth. When the Daedra made him insane and try to kill me, I tried every spell to calm him down, before I saw I was forced to kill him in order to continue the quest. I hope I can repay that damn creature someday (maybe after I lure the priest the bastard asks me for).

SPOILER WARNING - CAUTION - SPOILER WARNING!!!

Musette

Pacifist Percussionist
Apr 19, 2010
It was already mentioned a few times, but every single colossus in Shadow of the Colossus. The music really manipulates the emotions felt for me. It can replace pure joy and triumph to regret and remorse almost immediately.

I'm also inclined to include most the enemies from the Kirby games, since they're generally fucking adorable and don't seem particularly mad at you.

soes757

Jan 24, 2011
CrazyBlaze said:
Infamous 2

Zeke. I mean the first time I did it I had to pause between each button press. I mean sure Zeke betrayed in the first game but I feel like he was really trying to improve in the second and some of the bro momments in the game with him and Cole. I mean. Its Zeke. He ends up being pretty cool.
This, right here. Still don't get why I had to kill him, he's my favorite character and he's the main characters best friend. I don't get why you would do it, there's just no.....I'm not gonna rant on this one.