Bosses that you JUST. CAN'T. BEAT.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
mooncalf said:
Easton Dark said:
Cloak level 1

No damage

*Jazz Hands*
I had cloak and lots besides, didn't save me, perhaps wasn't using it optimally but I'd gotten that far. :(
I beat Letho! :D
Yeah for phase 2 you need either the highest evade, cloak, or enough firepower to finish the fight within a minute. Level 1 cloak is better than the higher levels because it recovers fast enough to counter every drone rush, and as long as you take out the missile launcher, that's all you need it for.

And bah, Letho.

angryfish

Oct 11, 2010
The final level of Unreal Tournament 2004 (Malcom/Xan/Clanlord).

I've spent so many hours in this game, definitely my favourite game of all time, but Jesus Christ, this level. The game has a pretty good difficulty curve until you get to that level and then it goes through the roof. In the original version of the game, the onlt way I could beat it was to avoid whichever opponent it was, avoiding fighting them at all costs until the time ran out, because they would inevitably commit suicide on their own at least once. In the custom edition, there's no time limit and I simply cannot do it. I can play the whole game up to that level on the 5th difficulty (Skilled I think it's called?), but I can't do the final level on the easiest difficulty.

Actually now I think of it, I couldn't do the final level of UT2003 either, but I haven't spent nearly as much time in that, and it had the added issue of weapons disappearing when you pick them up, so you were screwed if you died once, whereas the AI never seemed to have an issue finding more weapons or killing you with the ones you spawn with.

Also, not really a boss, but the sequence in prototype 1 where you have to defend that machine that's pumping something into the ground (before you fight Elizabeth Green as a massive blob monster), on hard mode. I found a glitch to make myself invulnerable (using critical mass abilities still reduced your health, but you could still regain it and enemies couldn't damage you), and I still couldn't keep that machine alive.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Cavouku said:
I'm honestly a little surprised no one brought this up earlier: Musclefoot from Starfox Adventures.

I think my game was glitched or something, because I couldn't beat him with a TURBO CONTROLLER!

For anyone unfamiliar: there's a point in Starfox Adventures where you wind up in a dinosaur village and have to do a couple tests, one being a test of strength where you have to mash A on the gamecube controller to shove "Musclefoot" into a poit (via some double-ended paddle contraption).

I never got past that. I swear to God. Turbo Controller.
Ahh you've refreshed my memory about that. I raged hard at that part until I realized it's not about pressing the A button as quickly as possible it's about establishing a steady rhythm. No matter how fast you hammer the A button you'll lose. Just do a rhythmic, repetitive speed and you'll win. The whole event is just really odd.

Poppy JR.

Jun 25, 2013
Beating Colonel Volgin in MG3 on European Extreme difficulty is ridiculously difficult. I've had nightmares about this guy.

Chris Tian

May 5, 2012
Hixy said:
Fought Ornstein and Smough like 20 f**ckin times and got murdered. So I went and killed Pinwheel so I could get 20 estus flasks . . . then still got f**ckin killed. Then I got PS4 and have'nt played xbox at all but every time I look at the 360 I feel the shame of my repeated defeats. People keep making threads about DS and I am like ''I have'nt got that far yet :/ '' and I fell incredibly incompetent! Actually f**k that game.
You can use the pillars if you have a ranged attack. First you summon the sundude and focus on killing Ornstein first. If he is dead and Smoug gets big you have to run away and keep a pillar between you and him, when he does his charge thing he will get stuck infront of the pillar and you can get ranged hits in wihtout much risk. You then repeat that until the fat bastard finally turns his chips in.

superguin200

Mar 13, 2012
Every single boss in Dark Souls.
Except for the Capra Demon and the Hydra, of course. And I'll probably have a lot of trouble fighting Ornstein and Smough in Anor Londo when I finally beat the freakin' Iron Golem.

EDIT: Wow, looking through this thread, I didn't realize the Capra Demon was regarded as a hard boss by the community. I just assumed everyone thought he was easy because I beat him on my second try and I'm a below average player at best.
Try plunge attacks.

Chris Tian

May 5, 2012
Hixy said:
Thanks for your reply friend I should get back on and try! I dont have any ranged stuff I was just using the lightning spear. That thing has gotten me through the game so far and I found it by complete accident! I was killing Smough first as the spear hurts him much more but it sucks on big Ornstein pretty bad. I actually had big Ornstein down to a quarter health then I slipped up and that was the end of me :/ After I finish transistor I will kill those fuckers.
You can craft yourself a lightning longbow for instance, that would do it. Or just use any bow and bring lots of arrows and time.

Killing Smaug first makes the fight like five times harder. The difficulty level of the second parts of the boss fight is completely uneven. If you almost killed big Ornstein already you will probably walk right through big Smaug.

lordofpowies

Jul 20, 2013
Probably a cliche answer at this point, but Omega Pirate in Metroid Prime is seriously annoying. The difficulty jump from the whole game before, up to that boss fight, is just nuts. The wii version might be better, but I know that the gamecube controls are so incredibly not designed to be looking up while quickly rotating at the same time, and trying to get your different visors on with the tiny little d-pad while also staying manually aimed at him, plus actually paying attention to when you need to use the power beam instead of missiles...
Then there's those two or three shitty little ice pirates that he spawns freezing you constantly...
I haven't actually beat him to this day, which has left a gaping hole in my repertoire as I don't want to start metroid prime 2 or 3 until I beat the first one. Maybe I just suck, but I simply can't seem to get the hang of the controls when fighting him.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
Nemeroth (Warhammer 40k: Space Marine) on hard. Or more precisely, his chaos marine minions. No matter how many melta blasts I hit them with, how many headshots they suffer from via bolter sniper, how much storm bolter lead I spit at their heads, or how often I smack them with a hammer if I chose to bring it, they just. Won't. Freaking. Die. Plus, they eternally chase me around with hammer attacks that take out my shields in a single hit, but they have regenerating shields, so it's like everything I do is for naught. I simply gave up.

Roggen Bread

Nov 3, 2010
BlackBark said:
Dullahan from Golden Sun: The Lost Age. Curse him and his damn Djinn Storm! I don't think I ever managed to beat him. I could already mop the floor with the Doom Dragon, but this guy...he's just unstoppable. I never even got to see the final djinn summon because of him. Bastard.
I actually managed this dude once. Was very very hard. However, final djinn summon did not really win me over.

But anytime I try Arena and this guy comes up, I am so fucking out of there.

I also have the feeling, that he is easier to beat on a lower-ish level.

Alarien

Feb 9, 2010
Chris Tian said:
Burchy22 said:
Dark souls 2 Lost sinner NG+ I can only beat this boss with help, I can't do it on my own, its flat out unreasonable to expect people to be able to take on a fast super aggressive boss while having two pyromancers throw spells at you and don't you dare try to target the pyros because of the "super aggressive" boss.
I've heard complaint about that multiple times now, but I have beaten the Lost Sinner at NG+ without any pyros spawning. What pyros do spawn there and how come they did'nt spawn for me? Or do you mean these giant guys with the scythes?
Lost Sinner NG+ should have 2 pyromancers that spawn in from the cages on the sides of the room at around 65% of the LS's health. If does not do that (make sure your Bonfire Intensity is at least 2), then you were bugged... or maybe you fought LS with a summon or two and they murdered them quickly?

A lot of people have trouble with Lost Sinner NG+ solo. I messed around with it a bit and actually found that the problem isn't the pyromancers. It's that people *think* the pyromancers are the problem. The trick to this fight, for me, was simply ignoring them until I killed Lost Sinner. It meant I had to move around a little more and dodge the occasional fire spell, but this really wasn't difficult at all. If you keep the pyromancers on screen and focus entirely on the Lost Sinner, you can generally defeat her without too much trouble.

Actually, I should have a video coming out on that fairly soon. Maybe today.

Chris Tian

May 5, 2012
Alarien said:
Lost Sinner NG+ should have 2 pyromancers that spawn in from the cages on the sides of the room at around 65% of the LS's health. If does not do that (make sure your Bonfire Intensity is at least 2), then you were bugged... or maybe you fought LS with a summon or two and they murdered them quickly?

A lot of people have trouble with Lost Sinner NG+ solo. I messed around with it a bit and actually found that the problem isn't the pyromancers. It's that people *think* the pyromancers are the problem. The trick to this fight, for me, was simply ignoring them until I killed Lost Sinner. It meant I had to move around a little more and dodge the occasional fire spell, but this really wasn't difficult at all. If you keep the pyromancers on screen and focus entirely on the Lost Sinner, you can generally defeat her without too much trouble.

I definitely solod the Lost Sinner on NG+, I got the fire weapon spell from it. I kept her very close to the door where you enter for the whole fight, maybe the pyros just spawned back in the room and we didn't notice each other?

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
I never beat the last New York levels of Crimson Skies. I don't do well in the acrobatics sections, and dear lord they love to put a strain on your ammo stocks towards the end. Closest I ever came was running out of ammo and still having one engine to go on the Spruce Goose.

Twyce

Mostly a Lurker
Apr 1, 2009
Matador from Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

I think he was like...What? One of the first bosses in the game? I wasn't playing the game as 'seriously' as I should have been and got my ass handed to me. Like a year later, I started fresh and actually got the skills required to beat him - like the one where you actually get healed by his attack.

Still lost. Said screw it and moved on. One day I will defeat him!

BlackBark

Apr 8, 2010
Roggen Bread said:
BlackBark said:
Dullahan from Golden Sun: The Lost Age. Curse him and his damn Djinn Storm! I don't think I ever managed to beat him. I could already mop the floor with the Doom Dragon, but this guy...he's just unstoppable. I never even got to see the final djinn summon because of him. Bastard.
I actually managed this dude once. Was very very hard. However, final djinn summon did not really win me over.

But anytime I try Arena and this guy comes up, I am so fucking out of there.

I also have the feeling, that he is easier to beat on a lower-ish level.
Haha, yeah. There's no way I'd want to fight him in the arena either. I remember the fights with him would take ages, he had the highest health of all the bosses, I think.

Did you beat him using any special method? I've read somewhere that his attacks repeat in a cycle. Also, what level range do you consider low-ish, because I always seem to be very low level on JRPGs. I remember the first time I took on the Doom Dragon, I think my characters were only in high 20s and low 30s and the fight was really hard. When I fought Dullahan in another playthrough, my characters were much higher levels, but certainly couldn't have been higher than around 60. Also, I only really trained my favourite characters and just ignored the others so they were noticeably weaker. I had beaten the other bosses, although the fight with the water wizard guy was close.

Alarien

Feb 9, 2010
Chris Tian said:
Alarien said:

I definitely solod the Lost Sinner on NG+, I got the fire weapon spell from it. I kept her very close to the door where you enter for the whole fight, maybe the pyros just spawned back in the room and we didn't notice each other?
Odd and highly unlikely. They spawn on the door side, on either side of the room and they will aggro the entire length of the room, so I don't think that's possible. It sounds like you encountered a bug.

One thing I've noticed is that boss "special" abilities sometimes don't fire. I think it may be connected to staggering them at a specific moment. It might be that some attack or stagger you got on her caused her scripting to bug out and the pyro's didn't spawn.

I had something similar happen with Velstadt in one of my playthroughs where I staggred him around the time he starts his dark power-up spell and he never ended up doing it and through the rest of the fight, he never gained his dark-bonus to his weapon and never cast a spell. Very odd and only saw it happen one time.

Roggen Bread

Nov 3, 2010
BlackBark said:
Did you beat him using any special method? I've read somewhere that his attacks repeat in a cycle. Also, what level range do you consider low-ish, because I always seem to be very low level on JRPGs. I remember the first time I took on the Doom Dragon, I think my characters were only in high 20s and low 30s and the fight was really hard. When I fought Dullahan in another playthrough, my characters were much higher levels, but certainly couldn't have been higher than around 60. Also, I only really trained my favourite characters and just ignored the others so they were noticeably weaker. I had beaten the other bosses, although the fight with the water wizard guy was close.
Well, I did fiddle aroung with the tactics for a while.
Level? Maybe 40 - maybe 30.

Tactics: (Assuming you have all important djinns)
My main team is simplay the original 4. In the original roles with their elemental djinns. Kinda boring, but imho highly effective. Everyone of these should have one of the djinns who is able to neglect damage (that barrier-thing).

My healer, Mia, has had equipment that refreshed 22 mana each turn. As I recall correctly the most powerful healing spell (for your whole team) only costs 21 mana. Thus, you will NEVER run out of mana. This is important. Everyone in your team(s) should have revival items and potions that can heal everything.

There is this one djinn summon that revives everyone (even those in your other team) and refreshes hit-points and pp. Keep that one always ready in your other team.

Wind-dude should concentrate on buffing (defense, resistance, attack(!)). Isaac was my strongest hitter (had the helios-blade with that comet thingy). Garet was carrying all the curse items which made him quite strong with a failure rate of like 20%.

If I recall correctly I usually tried to just use the djinns for some of their abilitys are immensly strong and are even able to afflict dullahan (like blocking pp). Summon: There is always daedalus.

Otherwise, simply attacking. And I learned (kind of the hard way), that even if everything looks fine, ALWAYS heal.

No guarantee for translation mistakes (played in German) and plain wrong stuff. This is like 7 years ago.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Twyce said:
Matador from Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

I think he was like...What? One of the first bosses in the game? I wasn't playing the game as 'seriously' as I should have been and got my ass handed to me. Like a year later, I started fresh and actually got the skills required to beat him - like the one where you actually get healed by his attack.

Still lost. Said screw it and moved on. One day I will defeat him!
Yes, Matador is pretty much the stumbling block for most people who play Nocturne. ESPECIALLY if it's their first SMT game and they have no idea what to expect.

Buffs, debuffs, and taking advantage of resistances and weaknesses are the keys to victory in that game.

For that fight, you'll need moves like Sukunda or Fog Breath do bring down his evasion, sukukaja to bring up your own, Rakukaja to buff your defense, and preferably someone who knows Media AND isn't weak to wind. You can fuse an Uzume at lv. 18, who knows Media and absorbs wind.

You can also use a demon with Dark Might, which allows it to get a crit EVERY SINGLE TIME when he attacks normally so long as it's a New Moon.

I wish you the best of luck when you fight him next. :)

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Someone may have already mentioned it, but the final boss in "Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge".

I slugged through that whole damn game on the harder difficulty, dying dozens of times on some of the bosses, and I was determined to beat it on said difficulty, but after dying about 100 times on the final boss, I just couldn't take it anymore and I turned down the difficulty setting.

The first time I played through Dark Souls, I tried more times than I could count to beat Ornstein and Smough without summoning someone to help me, but I finally gave up and summoned some assistance. Strangely, I've played through the game twice more after that and they never really gave me a problem after that.

Flamelurker on Demon's Souls. Christ, I did a damn jig when I FINALLY beat that guy.