Bosses that you JUST. CAN'T. BEAT.

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
The final song in drakengard 3 >.< Who ever made this with this idea GRRRRR.

I think I hate the game now.

Chaosian

Mar 26, 2011
scorptatious said:
So I'm feeling kinda salty right now, and I feel like venting a bit by asking you all a question:

Is there any boss that you seem unable to beat due to how ridiculous it is? Or you have beat, but only through extreme trial and error or luck?

Okay that was two questions, but you get the point.

People need to stop complaining about the Ancient Dragon from Dark Souls 2 - it could have been the Everlasting Dragon from Dark Souls 1.

OT: There was a handheld Mario RPG I played back in the day called Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time. It was pretty fun, but holy god did it drag. The final boss, to this day, I have not, and likely will never beat, because it just takes so god-damn long to damage. I probably made my build wrong but- FOUR HOURS to get to the final form of the final boss, to which I just responded: No game, I think I'm done... now.

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
The closest thing I think I have to one of these was fighting the 25 or so Metal Gear RAYs in MGS 2 on extreme. I tried upwards of twenty times over the course of a week, quit for about two years, and eventually beat them all, getting my each and every movement down to a fucking science. THEN came the truly impossible part: Surviving the strangulation torture thing.

Another year passes, I learn somewhere that the bar drops much slower if you look at the moon while being strangled.

The swordfight with Solidus that followed was a cheery, blade-swingy skip through the blood-soaked and on-fire flowers, in comparison, quite fun!

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
Caramel Frappe said:
King of Asgaard said:
Sean Hollyman said:
Ancient Dragon from Dark Souls 2. Cheap ass piece of wank he one shots me.
Can I second this? Cos I'm gonna. I gave that boss too much of my goddamn time before I said fuck it and beat Demon's Souls to vent my frustration. Stupid, ill-designed bastard.
With the post i've made above this one... I guess we can all agree about how the Ancient Dragon is the lamest yet most broken, terrible boss in Dark Souls history? I actually think From Software has no excuse, seeing as they made Kalameet in DS 1's DLC the best dragon boss i've ever fought. Such a shame man ...
I am going to add to this as well, this boss was not well written. He is stupidly hard until you figure out how to beat him, and then he is stupidly easy. There isn't even a middle point where you have to practice the strategy, it is literally one point to the next.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
Chaosian said:
scorptatious said:
So I'm feeling kinda salty right now, and I feel like venting a bit by asking you all a question:

Is there any boss that you seem unable to beat due to how ridiculous it is? Or you have beat, but only through extreme trial and error or luck?

Okay that was two questions, but you get the point.

People need to stop complaining about the Ancient Dragon from Dark Souls 2 - it could have been the Everlasting Dragon from Dark Souls 1.

OT: There was a handheld Mario RPG I played back in the day called Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time. It was pretty fun, but holy god did it drag. The final boss, to this day, I have not, and likely will never beat, because it just takes so god-damn long to damage. I probably made my build wrong but- FOUR HOURS to get to the final form of the final boss, to which I just responded: No game, I think I'm done... now.
Except that everlasting dragon was not a boss in any kind of way. He was many things, but not a boss. He was A: a covenant master, B: a test platform for weapons, and C: a drop source for the Dragon Greatsword. Since you can not kill him period, and you can not agro him, why bother attacking him?

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
Last year I played Ys:Origin, and I got stuck at what I'd assume is the last boss.
Top of the tower, big angel demon thing, a gorillion phases mirroring your attunements, grabs you and shoves a giant space laser in your face that almost comletely kills you, it really has a strong final boss feel.
I find it unfortunate that I dropped the game, because it seems like that kind of game where the first playthrough is only the beginning, but I don't know if I'll ever get back into it.

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
Ruby and Emerald WEAPON from FF7. Never beat them on a proper playthrough as I just couldn't work up the energy to care all that much. I did recently work up the energy to take them on seriously, but I have lost the memory card that had my best FF7 save on it so I've sort of screwed myself over on that count since I no longer really have the time to do another playthrough and grind my way up to a level where I can beat them in any reasonable time.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Xan Krieger said:
From Final Fantasy X it's Seymour at Mount Gagazet. I gave up the first time and have spent over 40 hours grinding my ass off before I face him again. I don't remember what made the fight bullshit, I just remember ragequitting like a year ago at that point.
Most likely his Zombie + Heal combination, which he enjoys using during that battle.

Personally, I liked using Yojimbo as an Aeon the first time I came across Seymour Flux and when I summoned him, Yojimbo ended up killing Seymour with Zanmato. A day later, wanting to show the move to a friend, I loaded up the savefile from before facing him... and Yojimbo just did a wakizashi... :(

As for me, I lost quite a few hours to Radec in Killzone2 on Elite difficulty.

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
Here's two recent additions to the list - Mecha Deathshead from Wolfenstien: The New Order and Royce from Transistor.

This is a luck based battle if I ever saw one. First part is easy enough - dash to two cannons, use them to take down two Zeppelins powering his Force Shield, then pound on the shield until it overloads and it takes you to the next part of the fight. Here's where things turn into an excercise in infuriation.

This part takes place in a confined area. His suit comes with a pair of Machine Guns like the ones you find on the mounted turrets, and a Tesla Cannon if you get too close to him. His weapons also destroy most of the cover. And someone thought it would be a good idea to litter the area with valves that will go off and will (if you wander into their streams - and you will) scythe though your health harder than his guns! Given how Wolfenstien: The New Order has many enemies that can chew though your health at an insane rate, this fight very much becomes a luck based mission on Normal. I'd hate to see what this boss can do on something like Uber difficulty.

Oh, and it took two fully charged clips of the Laserkraftwerk, an entire salvo of Laser AR Marksmans (dual wielded) and an entire clip and a half of rockets to kill him on Normal. It's only with luck that I finally managed to beat him on Normal.

This guy makes Mecha Deathshead look like a pansy in comparison. Why? This guy goddamn CHEATS.

You MUST fight him using the turn based Gimmick the game has - it's impossible to hit him in Real Time while he's running around waiting for his turn to charge.

Oh yes, he can do the same Turn Based shenanigans as you. Only better because you cannot avoid or block his attacks. Neither Jaunt nor Mask will trigger in time to avoid his abilities, meaning the Player is forced to very slowly move out of the way of his attacks. There is cover, but it's pointless because most of his attacks avoid Cover.

Like Mecha Deathshead, he has a pretty high HP count - only The Spire has a higher pool of HP. The kicker is that unlike Mecha Deathshead, Royce has extra lives - four of them infact.

I'm perfectly fine with a difficult boss fight, but when you make the FTL Flagship look like the Alien Queen for Aliens: Colonial Marines in terms of broken cheese...my god.

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
For me it was The Harvester from the The Golems of Amgarrak DLC (Dragon Age Origins) on Nightmare difficulty. Apart from the fact that it has a ton of HP and deals crippling levels of damage, you are stuck with a pre-set party who are less than no help at all and the Harvester itself spawns enemies who spawn at a random rank up to and including boss rank. Most difficult trophy I ever earned!

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Last boss of Blue Dragon. Mostly due to that i couldnt return to a previous level to level up some more. Cant remember if i just didnt leave extra saves or the game had one save point over.

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
scorptatious said:
So. How about you guys? Who remains the bane of your existence as of now?
Life. I keep trying the Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right BAABAA Start cheat code, but every time I do it they say "Put some pants on." and cite me for public lewdness. Anyone else not able to get past the "Hide the sheep in the bushes" part of the Life end-boss level? I could really use some advice.

RidofJensen

May 26, 2014
The robot at the end of Mass Effect 2. Kept dodging and kept shooting but every time i get towards the end I die. I think the game was trying to torture me.

XDSkyFreak

Mar 2, 2013
MysticSlayer said:
XDSkyFreak said:
MysticSlayer said:
The Empress of Time in Warrior Within. Even on Easy, it took me replaying the game and making sure I got all the health upgrades just to have barely enough life to beat her. At the end of the fight, I was out of sands and the sliver of health I had left was so small that I couldn't even see it anymore. Again, this was on Easy with all available health upgrades until that point.
huh? but if you got all the health upgrades in the game you shouldn't even be fighting the Emperes, but rather fight the Dahaka in order to save the emperes life and take her back with you (as per cannon). That beeing said ... idk, I never found her hard.
I'm talking about the first fight that occurs midway through the game after Kaileena reveals that she is The Empress. At that point, I think only about 2/3 of the health upgrades are even available.

Of course, I do know that there is the potential to face her a second time in the non-canon ending, but I've never actually done that. Since facing the Dahaka is the canon ending, I've never been motivated to go back through the game and face her a second time. Besides, I've heard that she is considerably easier the second time, and that sort of takes away from the fun of the fight I did struggle considerably on.
My bad. forgot about that one ... yeah she can be a total ***** in that one.

I Max95

Mar 23, 2009
Ornstein and Smaugh from Dark Souls

they aren't even that hard to beat individually, I just can't get them both

joest01

Apr 15, 2009
I fall into the category of ran up to Ancient Dragon in Dark Souls 2 about 5 times and decided screw this. Just to be clear I spent a lot more tries first beating Darklurker or O&S in DS1 but this Dragon boss is just cheap as hell and no fun. Heck there isnt even a trophy at stake.

The other boss I never beat is the final gigantic demon looking dude in Serious Sam First encounter (I think it was the first encounter ...) where there was like a circular arena and some machinery you were obviously supposed to activate in some pattern I never figured out. Gave up after running in circles for about an hour.

Oh and I stopped playing Arkham City (I loved AA, AC not so much) when I got to that gimmickey boss battle against the frost dude where you have to sneak up and there is puddles and electricity etc. Snorefest.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Anubis from Zone of the Enders 2. He teleports a lot and has a homing attack that causes a lot of damage and pushes me away, plus his defense is crazy strong and I can barely connect two hits before he evades me.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
In Demonstone, a hack and slash RPG-lite brawler for the Xbox and PS2 the penultimate boss of the game was an Adult Red Dragon. Who had been chasing you throughout the game as well, all the way from stage 1. You've seen this thing in action, it's taken out armies and extra-dimensional generals with kickass swords. But, you and your characters(a Fighter, a Rogue and a Sorcerer) finally manage to corner it in it's lair. The fight has several phases, the first consisting of you disabling it's wings with your Sorcerer to get it on the ground and then whacking at it's exposed head and legs.

The final phase was supposed to be this awesome combination of all your characters unique skills to kill it with a final blow to the head.

....except that the damn mechanics of the sequence didn't work. You have to cast [CHARM] on the beast to get it to hold still long enough for your Rogue to [LEAP] on it's head to force it down into sword range for the Fighter to strike the final blow. Except.... if you weren't standing in the most specific(and I mean pixel perfect specific) distance and position, the spell would BOUNCE OFF OF THE DRAGON and DAMAGE your Sorcerer. And if you kept casting, you'd keep getting damaged until it KILLED YOU. Forcing a restart of the ENTIRE fight.

...I spent 7 hours on that single sequence until I found the exact position to stand in and got the spell to stick.

AND THEN THE ROGUE GLITCHED OUT AND DID THE EXACT SAME THING! Cause the spell to wear off and forcing me to re-cast it. Another 2 hours later(and this was after a 9 hour night shift hauling boxes at a distribution center) I finally got it and went on to beat the last boss of the game.

For my aggravation, my only remembered instance of me getting hives in my entire life.

Off Topic: CAPTCHA how can I POST while WRITING A POST?

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
bluegate said:
Xan Krieger said:
From Final Fantasy X it's Seymour at Mount Gagazet. I gave up the first time and have spent over 40 hours grinding my ass off before I face him again. I don't remember what made the fight bullshit, I just remember ragequitting like a year ago at that point.
Most likely his Zombie + Heal combination, which he enjoys using during that battle.

Personally, I liked using Yojimbo as an Aeon the first time I came across Seymour Flux and when I summoned him, Yojimbo ended up killing Seymour with Zanmato. A day later, wanting to show the move to a friend, I loaded up the savefile from before facing him... and Yojimbo just did a wakizashi... :(
That sounds right and makes me glad I got that aeon. Sounds like a crazy expensive move though, something that demands more grinding. I take it this is how it's gonna go
Summon Yojimbo
Pay him to do a move
does something other than zanmato
reload save file
summon Yojimbo
pay him
does something other than zanmato
repeat till he does the move I want