Boycott Scotland

Jirlond

Jul 9, 2009
I heard on the news today that americans are boycotting scottish products due to the release of Abdel Baset al-Megrahi. I want to hear your views and also keep these in mind.

Road Travel

The pneumatic tyre, tarmac and the two stroke engine are all Scottish inventions and as such should be avoided. Unfortunately it is best if you don't cycle either as that was also invented by a Scotsman. For the time being please walk instead.
Television

Set down the remote control, unhook the cable and turn off the television set as its inventor was born in Helensburgh. I know it might be difficult, but think about all the time you will have free to do other things, just make sure you walk to them.
Communication

I urge you to please get the word out about this site and the Boycott, but do not telephone your loved ones or write to them (best to avoid postcards, fax & radio as well).
Bridges

Please do not use any of America's suspension bridges as their construction is due to another Scottish invention.

If you do have a suspension bridge in your area please consider contacting your local government official and demand its removal.
Finger Printing

Any American citizen convicted using finger print evidence should be pardoned immediately.
Medical

Moms to be, cancel that ultrasound. Kid taken a tumble down the stairs? Am sure they'll be ok, just ensure they don't have an MRI.

All diabetes sufferers should immediately cease all use of Insulin (its ok, you wouldn't have been able to inject it anyway)

If you are currently taking any of the following (or any other beta blocker) dispose of them;

* acebutolol
* bisoprolol
* esmolol
* propranolol
* atenolol
* labetalol
* carvedilol
* metoprolol
* nebivolol

and you'll have to find an alternative treatment for that unfortunate bout of syphilis
Cold beer

Remove all beverages from the fridge, a cooler will have to do. Just remember that every warm beer is bringing us one step closer to Scotland relenting. A reduction in liquid consumption might be a good thing as every patriotic American should remove the flush toilet from their bathroom.
Sport

While enjoying your warm FREEDOM? beer please petition your local government official to begin disbanding the American PGA (remember not to use the telephone, post, radio, fax or a computer - perhaps their office is within walking distance?) also you should urge Lance Armstrong to be a true all American and give up cycling.

TL:DR many of the things you take for granted are scottish inventions. The next time the high and mighty americans want to look tough through boycotting, make sure you boycott all our inventions and national products.

EDIT: I take the news with a pinch of salt - many americans I have know or met seemed reasonable!

Cargando

Apr 8, 2009
Oh yeah I heard about this, you watching Mock the Week too? Anyway it's bally silly. I don't think it'll have much of an impact.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
The vocal minority is batshit retarded. I thought we already established that...

And if they just boycott products based on not liking the country, I'm sure most of those same idiots are anti-Communist, yet how much of their stuff has "Made In China" written on it?

Jirlond

Jul 9, 2009
Glefistus said:
I think it's just the birthers that are boycotting
Had to look up birthers there! really those people need to get real, they have abused their civil liberties to a point where they have gone mad with freedom!

Neonbob

The Noble Nuker
Dec 22, 2008
Wait...seriously?
I was hoping this was a joke.
Surely my fellow Americans can't be
...ignore that.
I just remembered what I was talking about.
This is pathetic.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Meh, get over it, he'll be dead soon enough.
Anyway, I'd never boycott Scotland, it's far too awesome.

Lord George

Aug 25, 2008
I'm agreeing with mock the week here, its not like their really going to cause any effect on the obviously booming Scottish tourist trade, because obviously Scotland is such a nice place to go to for your holiday, lots of rain, gloom and sheep.

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
Lol, I guess you just handed their asses to them. (The boycotters)

Boycott is a silly and redundant solution.

wilted_orchid

Aug 11, 2009
Skeleon said:
Meh, get over it, he'll be dead soon enough.
Anyway, I'd never boycott Scotland, it's far too awesome.
...Are we thinking of the same country? When I go to stay with my dad, just outside Glasgow we can't go up to the precinct after 4pm, just incase we get stabbed. All the same, I was listening to a shock jock talking about that on Galaxy (scottish radio station) and he made a good point, saying that surely, if Scotland can show kindness to this man in his last days, does that not say more about Scotland being a good place, a democratic place? It was a man named Scottie McClue...I think.

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
I actually laughed so much when I was reading that. Also I think they are over reacting, he was released because he is going to die soon of cancer(I think it was cancer), and in Scotland we feel that it is right to release them on those compationate grounds. Also my dad sort of had a rant saying stuff like you didn't think of terrorism being bad when you funded the IRA and stuff like that.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Hah, as an Englishman and proud of it, I've always loved the Scots despite our early difficulties. This is just hilarious. Blame Brown, not the Scots in general. And that's all I have to say on the matter. :)

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
wilted_orchid said:
...Are we thinking of the same country? When I go to stay with my dad, just outside Glasgow we can't go up to the precinct after 4pm, just incase we get stabbed.
Well, I never lived there, but whenever I came to visit, I loved it.
However, it should be mentioned that I stayed mostly in the rural areas. I don't really know about the cities in Scotland. Except for Edinburgh.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Trivun said:
Hah, as an Englishman and proud of it, I've always loved the Scots despite our early difficulties. This is just hilarious. Blame Brown, not the Scots in general. And that's all I have to say on the matter. :)
As much as I love blaming Gordon Brown it was actually not his fault this time, it was some minister for something or other in Scotland, I believe Gordon Brown actually disagreed with the decision and was appalled that the people welcoming Abdel Baset al-Megrahi home were waving Scottish flags.

wilted_orchid

Aug 11, 2009
Skeleon said:
wilted_orchid said:
...Are we thinking of the same country? When I go to stay with my dad, just outside Glasgow we can't go up to the precinct after 4pm, just incase we get stabbed.
Well, I never lived there, but whenever I came to visit, I loved it.
However, it should be mentioned that I stayed mostly in the rural areas. I don't really know about the cities in Scotland. Except for Edinburgh.
Ah, Edinburgh is to Scotland what Portal and Silent Hill 2 are to Yahtzee - i.e. the bit that you have to look at to remind yourself it's not all shit. Edinburgh is beautiful.

Branovices

Oct 15, 2008
I always ignore these calls to boycott countries. I remember awhile ago we (in America) were meant to boycott France for whatever reason (they dared to question our brilliant plan to invade Iraq, I guess.) I wouldn't even know what French products I would normally have that I was supposed to boycott, but I went to the store and purposefully found a jar of mustard imported from Dijon.

I rather like France and we wouldn't even be a country here if it weren't for their aid during the American Revolution... it seems like we'd have a closer relationship as nations. I don't understand -any- of these whimsical boycotts, though.

I have no idea what Scottish product I could buy from the local store.

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
Machines Are Us said:
Trivun said:
As much as I love blaming Gordon Brown it was actually not his fault this time, it was some minister for something or other in Scotland, I believe Gordon Brown actually disagreed with the decision and was appalled that the people welcoming Abdel Baset al-Megrahi home were waving Scottish flags.
Scottish governments minister of defence took 100% blame. I think.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
wilted_orchid said:
Ah, Edinburgh is to Scotland what Portal and Silent Hill 2 are to Yahtzee - i.e. the bit that you have to look at to remind yourself it's not all shit. Edinburgh is beautiful.
Huh, then maybe I have a really warped view on Scotland? But whatever, I like it. =)