Brink Dev: Analog Sticks Are "A Poor Man's Mouse"

RadiusXd

Jun 2, 2010
jboking said:
RadiusXd said:
no, fallout 3 and oblivion have bad interfaces because they are designed for gamepads.
Morrowind had a MUCH better user interface/inventory system then it's successor, but they had to simplify it so the whole thing could be navigated with one or two unweildy miniature joysticks, and thus the phrase "dumbing down".
Do you have a source for that? Is it simply because Oblivion and Fallout 3 were on consoles? Because you realize Morrowind was as well, right? You also realize that a good developer would take the time to make two interfaces if it truly benefited one of their core audiences, right?
I shouldn't need a source, have you even played them? anyone who has played both on PC would testify to this. its a painstaking chore to drop items en mass, which is something I regularly had to do in a game that has both a multitude of items and a weight system.

Morrowind had a nice big 2 dimensional display of your inventory, whereas in Oblivion you had to scroll down through vertical single file lists. Basically, Morrowind was a PC game who's devs went "what the hell" and ported to Xbox. Whereas oblivion was designed from scratch to be multiplatform, and it's inventory system was built with that in mind. Thinking about it, making two separate menu systems would've been nice, but the dev probably figured modders would do it for them (and they have).

EDIT: I actually can't speak for fallout 3, I was really referring to the eldar scrolls. however, the principles are sound. you couldn't get an rpg system like the witcher has to work well using a gamepad. It's developer recognised this, and didnt bother trying.
bethseda however, had systems slightly more open to "streamlining" (aka either removing features or making usage of them a confusing-and-more-difficult-then-it-otherwise-would-have-had-to-be experience), I and many others maintain the user interface suffered greatly at the hands of the gamepads limitations.

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
RadiusXd said:
jboking said:
RadiusXd said:
no, fallout 3 and oblivion have bad interfaces because they are designed for gamepads.
Morrowind had a MUCH better user interface/inventory system then it's successor, but they had to simplify it so the whole thing could be navigated with one or two unweildy miniature joysticks, and thus the phrase "dumbing down".
Do you have a source for that? Is it simply because Oblivion and Fallout 3 were on consoles? Because you realize Morrowind was as well, right? You also realize that a good developer would take the time to make two interfaces if it truly benefited one of their core audiences, right?
I shouldn't need a source, have you even played them? anyone who has played both on PC would testify to this. its a painstaking chore to drop items en mass, which is something I regularly had to do in a game that has both a multitude of items and a weight system.
Yes. I played both Fallout 3 and Oblivion on the PC. There was nothing wrong with the inventory system. The only people I've ever found who complain about it are basically crying because it's different. It's not bad, it's a perfectly reasonable system of inventory, and I see no reason to claim it was 'dumbing down' due to the console generation.

Morrowind had a nice big 2 dimensional display of your inventory, whereas in Oblivion you had to scroll down through vertical single file lists. Basically, Morrowind was a PC game who's devs went "what the hell" and ported to Xbox. Whereas oblivion was designed from scratch to be multiplatform, and it's inventory system was built with that in mind. Thinking about it, making two separate menu systems would've been nice, but the dev probably figured modders would do it for them (and they have).
This may seem crazy, but even as a PC player I liked Oblivion's inventory system. It wasn't convoluted and it felt less claustrophobic than Morrowind's did. If you couldn't handle looking at your inventory in a list format, I don't know what is wrong with you.

EDIT: I actually can't speak for fallout 3, I was really referring to the eldar scrolls. however, the principles are sound. you couldn't get an rpg system like the witcher has to work well using a gamepad. It's developer recognised this, and didnt bother trying.
bethseda however, had systems slightly more open to "streamlining" (aka either removing features or making usage of them a confusing-and-more-difficult-then-it-otherwise-would-have-had-to-be experience), I and many others maintain the user interface suffered greatly at the hands of the gamepads limitations.
Fallout 3's inventory was a more organized version of Oblivion's, basically. Once again, I like the new system, I'm a PC gamer, and I'm sick of every claiming it was a bad choice. It wasn't. It just wasn't what you were accustomed to.