British Game Dev Decries Canadian "Vultures"

digital warrior

Oct 17, 2008
I'm Canadian and i am Sorry [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/loadingreadyrun/1852-Canada-is-Sorry] that my country is better than yours.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Honestly, I think they're just frustrated about the situation. And you can't really blame them for not wanting to leave their country either. But the truth of the matter is, if you have more opportunities and better chances in another country, you should go there or stop whining.

NeoAC

Zombie Nation #LetsRise
Jun 9, 2008
Wait a minute, wait a minute. My province is facing such a budget crunch that they had to raise the HST by 2%, and yet they found enough cash to sponsor a game conference? Sigh, I hope they enjoy the extra dime they get of my Keith's as I drink away my disbelief at this sort of thing...

Elomin Sha

Mar 9, 2009
Sorry UK, but once I get enough experience in my current second job at a video games company I'm off to Canada.

Kiefer13

Wizzard
Jul 31, 2008
I'm British, and I think this is hilarious. And I'm someone that wants to work in the games industry too. Fair play to the Canadians. The government here really should do more to support the industry.

wasalp

Dec 22, 2008
NeoAC said:
Wait a minute, wait a minute. My province is facing such a budget crunch that they had to raise the HST by 2%, and yet they found enough cash to sponsor a game expo? Sigh, I hope they enjoy the extra dime they get of my Keith's as I drink away my disbelief at this sort of thing...
a private company paid for the expo.

PumpItUp

Sep 27, 2008
So Canada is the bad guy here? ...Well, that's, um, different. We're sorry?

If your government won't give you money to make games and ours will, I fail to see why the Canadian government are "vultures" as opposed to "enterprising businessmen" or "smart".

Besides, in Canada, people are really nice (sorry if I'm being presumptuous) and at least you aren't surrounded by a thick fog every single day (I'm sorry if I'm being offensively critical (I apologize to those who weren't offended by my fog joke but were offended by my presumption that you were offended (I'm sorry for taking this joke so far as to create a wall of text I know many of you won't read (I don't mean you can't read it, and I'm sorry if I came off as rude))).

I'm sorry for not using the parenthses in the above paragraph correctly. Also I profusely apologize for misspelling 'parentheses'. I'm sorry, I'll stop now. Sorry.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Sparrow said:
Also, by "UK" you're including Ireland. They have nothing to do with this, because as the OP says, this is about Britain. That means Wales, England and Scotland.
The Republic of Ireland is not part of the UK (anymore). That sort of talk makes my Dublin-born coworker very angry. If Northern Ireland is somehow giving the gaming industry incentives that the rest of the UK isn't, I haven't heard about it.

Anyway, I understand the UK developers' frustration, and they're just using Quickstart Global's (admittedly dick-ish) behaviour as a lightning rod for their rage. So as a Canadian, I don't take it personally. UK ads asking Canadians to invest in the UK are so much nicer [http://www.uktradeinvestcanada.org/whats_new.html].

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Sounds like the UK needs to step up to the plate instead of bitching in the backfield.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Isn't this just headhunting? This happens in all businesses doesn't it? I have to say when I heard budget and that there was to be no tax brake I was surprised and horrified. If George Osborne is to dumb to realise how much money he would be bring in by having the tax brake, then we're seriously fekd as a country. And after just 7 weeks. I've come to the conclusion that we are indeed very stuffed..... I'm not a dev, but can I come to live with you lot too?

zakski

Mar 24, 2009
Sparrow said:
Also, by "UK" you're including Ireland. They have nothing to do with this, because as the OP says, this is about Britain. That means Wales, England and Scotland.
Comprehensive fail, by "UK" you're only including Northern Ireland, not the Republic. Northern Ireland receives the same taxes as the other three countries that make up the UK. The op mentions the UK repeatedly. Britain can refer to the UK as well.

The Canadian Games Industry is really putting the boot in, huh.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
zakski said:
Sparrow said:
Comprehensive fail, by "UK" you're only including Northern Ireland, not the Republic. Northern Ireland receives the same taxes as the other three countries. The op mentions the UK repeatedly. Britain can refer to the UK as well.

The Canadian Games Industry is really putting the boot in, huh.
Psssh, you'd be surprised how many Americans think British = English. My freudian slip was just a mistake.

zakski

Mar 24, 2009
Sparrow said:
Psssh, you'd be surprised how many Americans think British = English. My freudian slip was just a mistake.
Its ok, just never ever make such slips in the island of Ireland, they are very touchy about the whole thing.

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
for the brits considering moving to Canada:

yes, we are nice and relaxed, but we also have to deal with this every year: http://jeffsmyth.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/canadian-winter-iphone-nog-niet-in-canada.jpg

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
NeoAC said:
Wait a minute, wait a minute. My province is facing such a budget crunch that they had to raise the HST by 2%, and yet they found enough cash to sponsor a game conference? Sigh, I hope they enjoy the extra dime they get of my Keith's as I drink away my disbelief at this sort of thing...
About what I expected out of the NS government, sadly. Rather glad I don't live there anymore.

DeathWyrmNexus

Jan 5, 2008
Baby Tea said:
How can they be mad at the Canadian government for this?
Their anger should be at their own government for not supporting the industry, not the Canadian Government who is offering a better deal. Call the Canadian government 'vultures' if you want, but they are the ones who actually see promise in the industry and want to get the ball rolling.
Pretty much this. Biting the hand that wants to pull you out of a tar pit just seems blatantly drilled in head retarded..

Feb 13, 2008
WanderFreak said:
Yeah how about this UK: improve your own conditions. That way you wouldn't HAVE to ***** about everyone else being better than you. See how that works?
Man, we've been trying for decades, but our government is full of bureaucratic sycophants. What little we can achieve without help is almost instantly destroyed by our insane tax system. Britain already works the longest hours for the smallest pay in the entire first world.