Bugged Xbox Game Busts Murder Suspect

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
danpascooch said:
Wait, what? Why put the mic in the 360? It could have been anywhere in the room
Seems to me like they didn't bug the actual CD or 360, the uncle probably had it on, or it was on one of the guitars or something.

I don't think the drunk driving charges should've been completely dropped, just a lessened punishment. Dropping something like that seems pretty stupid.

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
Hijax said:
I think this uncle just might be the most awesome uncle alive
Yeah Drinking, Driving, and turning your family over to the fuzz in exchange for avoiding a minor inconvenience to your driving privileges. Yeah he is a real winner alright.

And don't get me wrong, I dunno what I would do if family I had killed someone, but I certainly wouldn't believe the police if they came to me with anything other then concrete proof.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The uncle's a douchebag, sure, but let's not forget that this asshole killed someone. I suspect douchebaggery runs in the family.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Hijax said:
I think this uncle just might be the most awesome uncle alive
Guitar Hero playing uncles are nice, but when they sell you out to the cops because they drive around drunk they are the worst kind of douchebag immaginable.

Drunk drivers kill thousands of innocents yearly around the globe, so it's awfull to just drop such a case. Drunk driver == killer...

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
CommanderKirov said:
Also kid got what he deserved. Hope he gets serious jail time to think about it
Hah! If we're incredible lucky they'll manage to get him tried as an adult (and even that's unlikely). If they manage that then, I believe, it's 10 years minimum for second-degree murder. However, in the more likely event that he is tried as a youth he will receive a minimum of 3 years of prison (the minimum for murder under the youth criminal justice act) and then about half that time in "supervision in the community". The maximum he would receive under the YCJA is 7 years which breaks down into 4 years (max) in custody and then 3 years in under "supervision in the community" (which is really wide terminology because the kind of supervision is determined by the court at the time of sentencing).

Of course that's all assuming there are no mitigating factors like if they manage to get it lowered to manslaughter or such.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
The uncle's a douchebag, sure, but let's not forget that this asshole killed someone. I suspect douchebaggery runs in the family.
Agreed. It's a mess.

To those that are hating on the uncle for turning on the kid: The kid killed someone else's baby girl. Their pride and joy. This kid gets to live to recover from his mistake, and she doesn't. If there's any injustice, it's that.

To those that are hating on the uncle for being reluctant to turn on the kid: When it's family, things like this get hard. We want so much to be understanding, to think there must have been some reason or mitigating circumstances, and to want to protect family.

There's no easy answer, but I think they went with the best one.

tjs09

Aug 23, 2010
CommanderKirov said:
tjs09 said:
CommanderKirov said:
Woah... Sell out your family member for dropping drunk driver charges. I would not want to be in the guy's skin when the kids mother gets to him.

Would jail really help in this situation? Who knows, but it's a shame that yet another young man will waste his youth locked up in prison.
You know what's more sad? Parents having to bury their daughter because of other parents that cannot control their psychotic kid.

Also binnsboy. It's not that I think what his uncle did was unjustified. But family should not not SELL OUT family, if the uncle did it for the best interest of the kid he would do it without needing a reward, and especially as pathetic one as cancelation of DUI charges.
Well, there's no argument on which aspect of the story is more sad, but the keyword is psychotic. Just tossing him in a cell with other criminals and possible psychos just seems like an easy way out.

imperialreign

Mar 23, 2010
Sgt. Sykes said:
Is this even legal? Police bugging someone's house (who wasn't charged with anything and apparently wasn't even officially a suspect)? Exchanging cancellation of a felony for this?

Plus, how long have the police been tapping on the guy? It's unlikely that after two years, they bugged his house and the dude has started talking the very next day. They must have been tapping onto him for very long. Apparently without any warrant.

How long can anyone be wiretapped just because of a suspicion? A year? Two years? For a lifetime? What if he wouldn't talk for another two years? Would they convince another relative of his to get a confession from him?

Plus this isn't a confession. If I tell someone something in my private, it can have NO legal cause. Ever.

I don't know whether the guy killed someone or not, but with such 'evidence', any judge should dismiss the case off the bat. And the policemen who came up with this scheme should be 'dismissed' as well.

This is not supposed to be martial law you know. Shit like this can very easily be misused or fabricated, that's why it's not permitted in decent society.
Not sure about Canadian law - but in the US there's no statatue of limitations on homicide. It could be a 30 year difference, and if they manage to turn up enough evidence to bring a case, they can charge you for it. As long as they can charge a suspect, they can continue to collect evidence as the case is still open.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
LightspeedJack said:
de5gravity said:
Or just "don't kill people"
Thanks for this I had my gun loaded ready until I read your post.

OT: That is one hell of a cazy story but hey at least justice was served (apart from the drunk driver).
Don't be cazy guys. Don't be cazy.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
This is funny because I play rock band 3 with my nieces and nephews whenever we're babysitting.
Pretty sure they haven't killed anyone though... Even if they did I don't think they'd confess to their Cop Uncle (or their cop dads)

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
Remember kids, you can't trust anyone with your secrets, especially not uncles. They're too shady.

ZtH

Oct 12, 2010
Sgt. Sykes said:
Is this even legal? Police bugging someone's house (who wasn't charged with anything and apparently wasn't even officially a suspect)? Exchanging cancellation of a felony for this?

Plus, how long have the police been tapping on the guy? It's unlikely that after two years, they bugged his house and the dude has started talking the very next day. They must have been tapping onto him for very long. Apparently without any warrant.

How long can anyone be wiretapped just because of a suspicion? A year? Two years? For a lifetime? What if he wouldn't talk for another two years? Would they convince another relative of his to get a confession from him?

Plus this isn't a confession. If I tell someone something in my private, it can have NO legal cause. Ever.

I don't know whether the guy killed someone or not, but with such 'evidence', any judge should dismiss the case off the bat. And the policemen who came up with this scheme should be 'dismissed' as well.

This is not supposed to be martial law you know. Shit like this can very easily be misused or fabricated, that's why it's not permitted in decent society.
While I'm not going into the morals of this I'm pretty sure it's entirely legal. The bug wasn't in the suspects house by the sound of the story, but was in the Uncle's house. It seems like the Uncle probably confronted him about it, and the kid confessed. In some states (not all) a conversation can legally be recorded with the consent of 1 of the people involved, in this case the Uncle. This is no different then wiring a gang member or other organized criminal to bust the rest of the ring. The Uncle chose to record the conversation in exchange for getting the charges against him dropped. It may not be a nice thing to do, but by the available information appears to be within the law.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
CommanderKirov said:
Woah... Sell out your family member for dropping drunk driver charges. I would not want to be in the guy's skin when the kids mother gets to him.

kid fucking deserved it. he won't get nearly the jail time he needs because hee's a minorr, he didn't know what he was doing
bullshit. he knew exactly what he was doing. that uncle did the right thing, but he should've done it without having them drop his drunk driving charge. if the kids mom knows what's good for her kid she'll let him stand trial.

i suppose i'm a little biased having lived in saskatoon for a solid 3 or 4 years and knowing through friends the victim.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
When a member of the Escpaist News Team makes the best statement of the thread after people have had a chance to comment on it, it gives me a warm feeling inside. You sir, are full of win.

As for the uncle, mark my words - after the kid gets sentenced, this douchebag will get himself another DUI/DWI. If it occurs ironically, he'll kill himself in the process; if it occurs tragically, he'll kill someone with his drunk driving.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
Surprised at how many people here are saying the uncle was a jerk.

I think you are missing the point. The kid is a murderer. He killed, that is, ended the life of, another human being, and as far as we know he did it without much in the way of provocation. People like that should not be free. This is bigger than whether the uncle "betrayed" the kid, and whether he was compensated for it.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Dysfunctional families FTW!

Also, I'm getting some major laughs at some of the distressed "THIS IS MARTIAL LAW" idealists in this thread.