Bullet Storm, An overall ..meh

Wondermint13

Oct 2, 2010
I'm torn, the gameplay is fine and provides a good amount of fun as any other shooter would with all that 'rattatat-boom n' stuff.. But several times while playing the game I found myself just not giving a shit about points. I know it adds a challenge to a game and often comes with a reward system but when I'm getting shot at, the last thing on my mind is lining up the perfect shot for another 10-20points more and a naughty suggestive text. I feel I'm missing out on the games full potential abit because of my attitude to points systems but atleast I'm just left with another ok shooter.
Still waiting on that whole new gaming experience.

Halo Fanboy

Nov 2, 2008
Yeah I was really excited for the idea of a score focused game developed by PCF and Epic but it seems that theeir understanding of a good scoring system is barely a step above stuff like Halo Firefight with a couple of added conditions that are just inelegant and hard to memorize. I'll probably wait for a Steam sale for this.

Questions to Pyrokineses: Is the difficulty harder than in the demo? Also is your score partially dependant on how fast you complete the level?
Kalezian said:
If you stay too long to get a good look at it, you will realize you just paid $60 for an arcade shooter.
This is some bigoted bullshit. Not that Bulletstorm even is an arcade shooter. Douchey Bro has better opinions than you honestly.

General Sarrano

Feb 21, 2011
I really..........enjoy playing it, shame if people don't, but Im finding it to be exactly what i want, an enjoyable shooter that doesn't take itself too seriously and helps me kick back after work, each to they're own. It'll tide me over till Duke...

ToboTheHobo

Jan 17, 2011
This was what i expected. it's selling point is the whole kill with skill thing, giving points for killing people in specific ways is not fun or new at all. It's just one of those games that get boring in a few hours.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Mr.K. said:
Ya this was clear from the demo, the point system turns fun into work, you can't just pop someone in the head because then you missed out on a ton of points, you haveto find a good set of things to do and then not just do it on one guy, but force yourself to do it on every guy you see... it truly gets horribly tedious.
If they had a no-points mode I would enjoy that far more.
There is one. It's called "not caring about the points".

Are you honestly complaining because its asking you to be creative about your kills?

Zannah

Jan 27, 2010
dogstile said:

Are you honestly complaining because its asking you to be creative about your kills?
Now, I don't know about you, but judging by the escapist review of top ten "skill kills" -

Kick a dude over a ledge
Kick something against a dude
Shoot a dude in the head

Where's that creativity again? Dark Messiah had like twice as many twice as interesting ways. And that was an fps set in medieval times. Hell, Jedi Knight hat more and more interesting ways to kill dudes. Plus the dudes in both of the aforementioned, unlike those I've seen in bulletstorm, weren't exclusively stolen from borderlands.

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
I admire what Bulletstorm tried to do, but the Skill Shots felt like a gimmick taped on to jazz things up. At least from what I've played and seen so far. And removing that gimmick leaves you with an ultimately generic shooter.

I think to be new and exciting, Shooters need to change some core traits before we start adding things like Skill Shots.
I've said it before and I'll say it again... #Briiiii-hiiink...

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Pyrokinesis said:
Sorry if im a tad high-speed and already beat the game ill try to keep it spoiler free. The game in general seems to fall so very short of the amount of trash talking it has been doing. Its "kill with skill" amounts to nothing more than a check list of "ok now i have to line this guy up like this .. and shoot that..". I found myself literally pausing the game mid combat to check the list to see what it was to do next on the laundry list of "skill shots". That and considering how much trash talk they did to modern-warfare im surprised how many scenes it nearly deliberately rips off from it. The games pace is literally nothing short of "shoot/stop and supply/highlighted puzzle/shoot and repeat".

Edit: Also another thing, the sheer amount of sexual term usage just gets a bit weird and unnecessary. There is one character in the game who just about every time he speaks a sentence it contains some form of unnecessary sexual joke/slur/ or sexual adjective. Its so excessive its just weird.

Im not sure its really spoilers if i say this so if your afraid look away...

The ending is SUCH trash. For the love of god do game designers know what the word closure is anymore? %#*&in squealitis.
Well, that would be exactly what I predicted the issues with Bulletstorm would be. Nice to know that they didn't pull a fast one and make a fun game, God forbid.

That would be the problem with FPSes, though. The core mechanics for all of them are exactly the same unless they add some kind of gimmick...but pretty much any gimmick you add to a FPS is unnecessary and...gimmicky. Like bullet time.

Edit: Maybe they should try giving you some freedom. I can't think of a single FPS (Fallout 3 doesn't count) that doesn't just set you on a linear path and constantly dish out objectives for you...which happen to be straight ahead! Yay!

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Zannah said:
dogstile said:

Now, I don't know about you, but judging by the escapist review of top ten "skill kills" -

Kick a dude over a ledge
Kick something against a dude
Shoot a dude in the head
Snipped to keep it short

Play the demo, there are more ways to kill people. The review was his preference of skill shots, which weren't all that varied.

Tell you what, here's an actual list

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/7776822/bulletstorm_skill_shot_list_complete.html

Judge for yourself.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
I'll have to just take your word for it. I'd like to form my own opinion, but GFWL makes that quite impossible.

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
RowdyRodimus said:
I'm really not trying to troll here since this is an honest question from an outsider (aka, not a FPS player) but what can a FPS do that hasn't been done? Other than the guns, settings and enemy types aren't they pretty much the same no matter if it's a WWII or Sci-fi FPS? I mean really, what did you expect to be different this time? (That last question was a real question and not a "Duh, what'd you expect, dumbass" type statement. Sometimes that type of question is read wrong when typed. Like I said, not trolling just curious.)
I'd go even further. What can a platformer do that hasn't been done before? What can a fighting game do that hasn't been done before? What can a sandbox game do that hasn't been done before?

It's long been hard to come up with a fresh hook... and when someone does come up with one, you can rest assure it will spread like a rash. Remember when Mirror's Edge came out and parkour was new and exciting. Now it's in every other game.

Krylock

Dec 20, 2010
Pyrokinesis said:
Sorry if im a tad high-speed and already beat the game ill try to keep it spoiler free. The game in general seems to fall so very short of the amount of trash talking it has been doing. Its "kill with skill" amounts to nothing more than a check list of "ok now i have to line this guy up like this .. and shoot that..". I found myself literally pausing the game mid combat to check the list to see what it was to do next on the laundry list of "skill shots". That and considering how much trash talk they did to modern-warfare im surprised how many scenes it nearly deliberately rips off from it. The games pace is literally nothing short of "shoot/stop and supply/highlighted puzzle/shoot and repeat".

Edit: Also another thing, the sheer amount of sexual term usage just gets a bit weird and unnecessary. There is one character in the game who just about every time he speaks a sentence it contains some form of unnecessary sexual joke/slur/ or sexual adjective. Its so excessive its just weird.

Im not sure its really spoilers if i say this so if your afraid look away...

The ending is SUCH trash. For the love of god do game designers know what the word closure is anymore? %#*&in squealitis.
Wait, you're joking right?

If this guy just ruined a bulletstorm purchase for you, then slap your self. Don't listen to this guy.