Bullet Storm, An overall ..meh

PurplePlatypus

Duel shield wielder
Jul 8, 2010
Sounds like it lost a lot of its fun when you were reduced to following a list so you could tick all the skills off. A much better way to have done it would be to only show the ones you had so far found and at the most showing how many there where in total. At least then you get the fun of discovering them for yourself as you go about the obsessive process of trying to get them all.

Normandyfoxtrot

Feb 17, 2011
I'm not going to get or play bullet storm this isn't a slight against the game, I've not even read a review, I just don't care it doesn't have a solid story, I don't want anything to do with it.

Andrew_Mac

Feb 20, 2011
Xzi said:
Kalezian said:
OT: expecting Bulletstorm to be any good was like expecting the internet to NOT make a single cat image macro for an entire minute, it would never work. Its one of those games you play just to have fun and then move on. If you stay too long to get a good look at it, you will realize you just paid $60 for an arcade shooter.
And I think that's exactly what many of us were looking for in Bulletstorm. A shooter that we can just play for fun, and replay for the score. I don't think I'll ever get tired of explosions raining limbs down on me. It's a hell of a lot more entertaining than stopping a group of terrorists from destroying the world for the twentieth time, or some bullshit like that. Give me a ton of bad guys, some awesome and over the top weapons, and the ability to kill using the environment, and I'm happy.
I have to agree with you there. I live in england so the full game isn't out yet obviously, but i did get the demo a few weeks ago and I've been playing it alot just to see if i can beat my high score. I've never found a game that makes me want to do that before. (My high score before today was 14630. A few hours ago i got 16285! I was SOOO happy about it, I've never been so excited to beat a score on a game that I set myself...)

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
I haven't played the full game, only the demo, but it's not my sort of thing at all. It's nice they were trying to have a bash at something new, but i honestly couldn't stand the concept, premise or characters. Having to feel required to "kill with skill" is such a massive drag. I don't want to have to piss about switching between various weapons i wouldn't otherwise use and wait for the exact right moment with the exact right setup before i kill something. I just want to use the guns i'm most comfortable with, killing the enemies how i find the most natural. The whip is awkward to use and the slow-mo effect is just as awkward. There's something incredibly stupid about going to kick a guy off a bridge, only to watch him sloooowly start to fall down the chasm, before finally speeding up and dropping to his death. I don't want to stand there waiting for that. I want to punt that bastard all the way down the chasm in one clean solid movement. Maybe i'm just "doing it wrong", but this Tony Hawk's style point system for killing enemies in a variety of ways just feels forced, pointless, and irritating. I really don't like it.

Then there's the ridiculous hypermasculinisation and Americanisation in the characters themselves. I can't help but feel that the game is trying to be a celebration of all things western, but it just feels too gratuitous and ridiculous. I can't stand any of the cast, and while that's not that important for an FPS, it's important enough to the point of not actually wanting to play the game. The amount of swearing and 'FUCK YEAH, BRO' attitudes displayed really turns me off. Another thing, i'm getting sick of seeing the Unreal Engine being used so often. I know it's Epic's "thing", but the last thing i want is another Gears clone, as if those games weren't bad enough already. Seeing this engine everywhere is almost as bad as seeing the same CoD engine being used for every single rehash of the series. Considering how bloody basic the thing is to use and give the impression the graphics are "impressive" with minimal strain on the hardware, it's also a bit irksome that games using the Unreal Engine get such high praise for graphics and presentation, but that's a different rant entirely.

I don't know. It's just not for me. Maybe the game appeals more to American audiences than European ones. Maybe it "offends my sensibilities" because i'm British, and we tend to be rather more conservative about this sort of thing compared to our American friends across the pond.

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
Xzi said:
Zechnophobe said:
Worr Monger said:
Flame all you like.. I will enjoy one of the few shooters that's not another Call of Duty clone... mmm tastey... it's good to still enjoy things.
These kind of comments confuse me. And then I'm like "Oh, right, not a PC gamer."
I have a hard time believing that even the typical console gamer considers the new CoD games to be the standard for what should constitute an excellent shooter. The genre has really been done to death at this point, and it's my personal opinion that the industry should put its focus elsewhere, but there should still be some consensus that we've moved backwards from great games like Timesplitters.
Well it's just that on the PC we have... lots more FPS' than on the console. We often get ports from consoles, and a whole bunch of our own ( a lot pretty mediocre). The idea that there are 'soo many clones' of these games just seems a bit weird.

Pyrokinesis

Dec 3, 2007
Justa follow up after reading the replys:

Im a little surprised how much people hate on Cod for it "simplistic gameplay" when it MW2 pulled out the all the stops to try and make the story interesting and deep for a topic so bland and overused. Ill admit that Cods gameplay follows the ropes when it come to your FPS'es and doesnt deviate to far but for what it lacks in new and exciting gameplay it makes up for in an interesting story.

And a btw i disown any cod that isnt modernwarefare... especially black ops.

Bulletstorm.. on the other hand, would be a mirror opposite to Cods idea. Would be if its gameplay was actually a good deal different from your standard shooter. The toys are different but you find your self using the same chest high wall strategy 9/10 times. I would be happy with the skill shots if things a simple as vodoo doll "impale an enemy on environment" werent worth so much and so easy to spam. Later on in the game there is a segment where enemys just line up after you and there is 3 vodoo spots right infront of you. Just kick, impale,kick, impale, kick, impale and the game wont fault you for it, in-fact it rewards that behavior. You make alot more money doing that than say something more difficult like shooting an enemy in the balls and kicking their head off. Or the ever elusive steer a bullet into an enemy balls with the sniper (seriously why can they dodge bullets that fast in slow time?). If the game did something like lower your points for doing the same thing again and again then id be more sympathetic.

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
Pyrokinesis said:
Bulletstorm.. on the other hand, would be a mirror opposite to Cods idea. Would be if its gameplay was actually a good deal different from your standard shooter. The toys are different but you find your self using the same chest high wall strategy 9/10 times. I would be happy with the skill shots if things a simple as vodoo doll "impale an enemy on environment" werent worth so much and so easy to spam. Later on in the game there is a segment where enemys just line up after you and there is 3 vodoo spots right infront of you. Just kick, impale,kick, impale, kick, impale and the game wont fault you for it, in-fact it rewards that behavior. You make alot more money doing that than say something more difficult like shooting an enemy in the balls and kicking their head off. Or the ever elusive steer a bullet into an enemy balls with the sniper (seriously why can they dodge bullets that fast in slow time?). If the game did something like lower your points for doing the same thing again and again then id be more sympathetic.
I'm enjoying it so far. The whole kill with skill thing really isn't a huge issue in single player. They obviously set you up for some easy ones, but mostly it's just doing what you feel like doing. Since you upgrade with skill points, you do try to keep an eye out for new situations and play with different guns.

One thing not represented in the demo is that there are numerous enemies which require wearing down before you can leash them. In less kill crazy rooms, it can be fun to figure out how to use an enemy to get a massive kill. It's not just leash, pull, kick, shoot, repeat.

Biggest complaint I have with the core gameplay is just I wish the action was a bit smoother. For one thing, the early cut-scenes kill a lot of flow (thankfully a whole lot less of that once they "explain" the whole kill-shot system), but they do that stupid slow walking thing whenever you listen in to radio communications, animations when you fall or climb or jump just take a bit too long, and while you can quickly slide under things you can't quickly hop over things (you always have to wait for that damn CLIMB button to appear). Your character also doesn't automatically jump down from low platforms, so you'll have to find a ramp to avoid the six inch leap of faith.

The sense of humor is beyond stupid, but I found myself laughing at the end of the amusement park sequence when you bid adieu to your faithful companion. I actually found myself glad that I accidentally hit the eject button on my 360 so I had to witness it again.

Bulletstorm is what it is. I figure most folks will know if the game is for them or not. For those who enjoyed the demo but are afraid it'll get old fast... they're doing a pretty good job of throwing change-ups in the early going. Each level has added a few new things, whether it be a weapon, an upgrade, a new enemy, or some crazy ass set-piece. It's got its share of flaws, but I don't think it'll disappoint the folks who have been amused so far. The Kill With Skill system does what it set out to do, encourage players to experiment and have fun instead of relying on the same weapon and tactics. It's not quite the Old School shooter I may have hoped for, but it's certainly a new flavor.

Krylock

Dec 20, 2010
OP, Cliffy B said him self that looking at the list over and over again is cheating.

You need to use your own imagination and figure out all the skill-kills your self. That's what adds the fun in the game. Not going through the list and just checking it off.

In other words, you're doing it wrong. Play the game how its meant to be played.

Blank Kold

Aug 24, 2010
Not really sure why every one on this thread is do up in arms about the opinions of others. People will think different things, that's just how opinions work.

OT: I never really expected the game to ber much good since it tried to market itself using another game, the bashing of other, established game series (that the plural form?), and a demo that I found to be extremely lackluster.

Gimmicks like scoring don't make a shooter less generic; actual innovations do. Borderlands, which I found to be only ok, was essentially a first person dungeon crawler. This made the game innovative. A list of methods to hey currency to unlock the entire game isn't an innovation, it's padding for a bland game. But to each his own.

Also, cod is continually successful because it has solid gameplay and engaging multiplayer. Sure, selling a game that runs on an engine that hasn't been changed in fine our so years is cheap, there's no debating that, but the game doesn't suffer too much.

I've entirely forgotten where I was going due to the hardships I face posting from my phone.

To sum up: opinions are opinions are opinions so chill the fuck out. bullet storm is just as generic as the scapegoats bring thrown out in this thread.

FlyAwayAutumn

Rating: Negative Awesome
May 19, 2009
I had fun with the game. You know that word "Fun". I used to use it all the time when describing a game. I used it again while playing Bulletstorm. Especially when you take control of the big T-rex monster cyborg thing and fuck some bitches up.

The profanity? Awesome.

The gore? Awesome.

The flyswatter skillshot? Blew my fun core.

Sliding into a dudes foot kicking him in the air and using a quadruple barrelled shotgun to juggle him.

Fuckin' sweet.

You can love/like/dislike/hate the game all you want. Personally I'm having a ball. If you want to play COD or Battlefield that's fine. But me? Imma go shove my virtual foot up a baddie's ass.

P.S one of my favorite skillshots is Shishkebab.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Heh, it didn't took long for some "didn't liked it" threads to rear their ugly heads.
Well, to each their own I guess, I'm still loking forward to play Bulletstorm. I'm tempted to say it, but I won't.
Dicktits...

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
RowdyRodimus said:
I'm really not trying to troll here since this is an honest question from an outsider (aka, not a FPS player) but what can a FPS do that hasn't been done? Other than the guns, settings and enemy types aren't they pretty much the same no matter if it's a WWII or Sci-fi FPS? I mean really, what did you expect to be different this time? (That last question was a real question and not a "Duh, what'd you expect, dumbass" type statement. Sometimes that type of question is read wrong when typed. Like I said, not trolling just curious.)
Singularity brought some new stuff to the table. Being able to age or revert enemies and objects with interesting enemies and weapons was a joy. Unfortunately the MP was a disaster (not because it wasn't interesting but because it suffered from severe technical issues). Unfortunately because it didn't have COD or Halo in the title it was overlooked.

Bulletstorm is a solid rental game from the SP side (I haven't touched the MP yet). I am actually digging the story but it pisses me off. The story is the one big problem with it so far. It ties you too at least 2 AI partners who will steal your kills. And for a game like this that is the last thing that should happen. That and you can only kill a guy by sticking him to a cactus or other pointy object so many times before it gets old. And the sniping is the cheapest thing I have ever seen. The bullets slow down and the enemies will try and dodge it every time like they are NEO. You on the other hand get no such option when you are on the wrong end of the barrel.

PlasmaFrog

Feb 2, 2009
If it's sounds too good to be true, then it most likely is.

Following by this, I was up to suspicion that Bulletstorm was only trying to convince me by over-hyping itself with bland commercial slogans and direct insults towards slightly inferior military shooter FPS games.

Thanks for confirming that for me.