Bullet Storm, An overall ..meh

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
The demo looked reasonably fun as a sort of "Go at your own pace rail-shooter". Though I do concur with the excessive amount of sexual-innuendo. It's not shocking or offensive, just annoying and repetitive.
Unreal Tournament immortalized itself with catchphrases for feats of skill, but it did so because said feats (in a real game) were not all that common, apart from maybe "Headshot".

With Bulletstorm, it looks like you can combo-kill everything, which kind of subtracts from the special accomplishment of using a combo.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
How did you ever expect it to be anything else than a crazy, immature shoot-'em-up with a nice little scoring system that rewards creative murdering?

And why did you even play it like that? The kill-score thingies aren't an achievement list. I think I'm joining the "ur doin it wrong" crowd here, you seem to have expected the wrong thing and didn't play it as intentioned.
Altorin said:
I was looking at Bulletstorm as the spiritual successor to Unreal Tournament. Without the "Tournament" aspect, this is really going to suck balls.
How did that happen? I don't think they ever even remotely advertised it as such.

At least UT99 is still alive and kicking.
Kalezian said:
If you stay too long to get a good look at it, you will realize you just paid $60 for an arcade shooter.
And this is a bad thing...how, exactly? Why is there anything wrong with an arcade shooter? I long for an arcade shooter. It's also a lot cheaper here.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Kalezian said:
Cowabungaa said:
Kalezian said:
If you stay too long to get a good look at it, you will realize you just paid $60 for an arcade shooter.
And this is a bad thing...how, exactly? Why is there anything wrong with an arcade shooter? I long for an arcade shooter. It's also a lot cheaper here.
Nothing is wrong with an Arcade Shooter, hell, I actually think Bulletstorm and DNF might breath some life back into the FPS corpse.

Dont expect me to pay full price for Bulletstorm though.....
Why not? Since when does an arcade shooter equal a cheap game? DNF is a definite arcade shooter and is rumored to have around 16 to 18 hours of campaign gameplay [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/288892/news/duke-nukem-forever-campaign-is-16-18-hours-long-has-glory-hole/], would that not be worth the full price? I doubt Bulletstorm will be that long, but with the multiple gamemodes I'd say you can get plenty of gameplay time from it.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
Pyrokinesis said:
The game in general seems to fall so very short of the amount of trash talking it has been doing. Its "kill with skill" amounts to nothing more than a check list of "ok now i have to line this guy up like this .. and shoot that..". I found myself literally pausing the game mid combat to check the list to see what it was to do next on the laundry list of "skill shots".
You know, this kinda reminds me of another FPS that had trashed talked its audience, and the game became one of the biggest and most destructive fiascoes to ever hit gaming.

No one seems to be calling out Cliffy B for this game like they did with Johnny and his stinker..=P

Must be the sign of the times.

Of course that game wanted to make "us" its *****, and it bankrupt a company...lol

Halo Fanboy

Nov 2, 2008
Kalezian said:
Bulletstorm would have to be an arcade game to be considered an arcade shooter. There are very few arcade FPS games. I can only think of Counterstrike and Half Life 2.

As for your opinion. You should reconsider it.

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
Just got in the mail today.

Over-all I'm enjoying it, but I wish they had ditched a lot of the story. Don't think there's a cut-scene yet that has improved the gameplay even slightly.

I also would have preferred they started with the over-the-top action stuff instead of slowly introducing it. The prologue is the standard tutorial crap. Here's how you look around, here's how you aim, here's how you crouch... and it's attached to a completely nothing of a story. There is a flash-back action sequence which should have been expanded upon. It's a glorified cut-scene when it could have been a really fucking cool fight.

They even throw a few change-up things early on, like a space battle and a turret battle on the back of a train. This is the sort of stuff you want to toss in once you properly introduce your core game play to give the player a small break from repetition. Seems weird they tossed it in while you're still getting a feel for the basic combat. Worse, it's really basic stuff, so all I want to do is get back to straight combat, not deal with rail shooter sequences.

But the new game mechanics are quite a bit of fun.

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
Worr Monger said:
Flame all you like.. I will enjoy one of the few shooters that's not another Call of Duty clone... mmm tastey... it's good to still enjoy things.
These kind of comments confuse me. And then I'm like "Oh, right, not a PC gamer."