Bungie: Story of Halo Held Them Back

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Bungie: Story of Halo Held Them Back

A creative director at Bungie said that Halo Reach has the benefit of not being stapled to a story like 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Halo-2-Xbox/dp/B00008J7NZ/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1280260288&sr=1-1] were.

Because the first Halo was such a huge hit, said Bungie creative director Marcus Lehto, the designers felt they had to continue with the story in the sequels. There were many gameplay ideas the designers wanted to implement but couldn't because the story didn't support them. Bungie is avoiding that problem with Halo Reach [http://www.amazon.com/Halo-Reach-Xbox-360/dp/B002BSA20M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278968624&sr=1-1], which focuses on a smaller event in the backstory of the Halo universe. The designers were able to come up with fun scenarios and missions for the campaign and then mold the story around them. But there are parts of the game which may piss off "hardcore fans" of the series. Halo Reach is due out sometime this year.

"[Halo Reach] doesn't have the burden of continuing a story like Halo 2 and 3 had to carry," Lehto said. "It was a true burden for us when we were making those games, because we sometimes wanted to do something but couldn't because the story wouldn't let us, or we had to support this giant steamroller of a story."

"The approach we took to the campaign is a major turnaround from how we did it before," added Bungie executive producer Joseph Tung. "Earlier on we came up with a modular story, a wrapper, and instead of trying to write a linear narrative for the story that missions have to adhere to, we lived with the wrapper for a while and came up with a bunch of crazy ideas for missions and then fit them into the wrapper."

Lehto added, "We are very sensitive to the Halo canon, and we are careful not to be stomping on the Halo timeline. We're playing to the events of the book." The book refers to the novel Halo: The Fall of Reach [http://www.amazon.com/Halo-Fall-Reach-Eric-Nylund/dp/0765328321/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1280260358&sr=1-1] by Eric Nylund which was released shortly after the first Halo and details the story of Master Chief's orgins and the vitrification of a planet's landmasses, turning them into glass, by the Covenant.

"There might be certain things the hardcore fans will take issue with [in Halo Reach]," Tung said. "But there will be other things that will make them absolutely delighted."

Source: Edge [http://www.edge-online.com/features/halo-reach-tales-of-the-fall]

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Well, that's certainly a unique take on that interview Greg Tito.

Most people seem to be focusing on the "may anger hardcore fans" aspect.

EDIT: Hopefully you haven't doomed this thread to elitists feigning surprise that Halo has a story while more enlightened or open-minded individuals calling their surprise unfounded and troll-like, with the discussion quickly escalating to a battle filled with more flames and unfounded self-righteousness than the Human-Covenant War.

Vigilantis

Jan 14, 2010
As long as its not a complete waste of $60.00 like ODST was I think I will let Bungie/Microsoft live to see another sunset.

Distazo

Feb 25, 2009
At least now we may get some innovation and something to prevent Halo from being identical to umpteen other generic FPS.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
All the money from the second and third games was a burden?

All joking aside, it would be nice to see some character development, or at least gameplay variety, in the next Halo game. I wonder if different Spartans will have different abilities.

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
I can't wait until they do something that isn't Halo. Bungie is such a great studio, and Halo has so much love poured into it, but it's time to do something new.

I'm excited to see any new IP come from them. Halo in general I'm kinda burned out on.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
I don't get why developers don't write out the whole story (or, at least, the basics of it) when designing a trilogy. Surely it will make the process smoother as you don't need to worry about story when making the new games, as well as avoiding confusing plotlines?

T'Generalissimo

Nov 9, 2008
I'm genuinely shocked. I never played Halo 2, but Halo 3's narrative was an incoherent, incomprehensible mess. I just figured that the design of the story went something along the lines of "Something, anything, to stick to this money-printing, guaranteed-popular mulitplayer game." The idea that they cut out what they thought were interesting ideas for the sake of the story is just...wow.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Oh, the people making jokes about how suprised they are that Halo has a story. Aren't you so witty? Aren't you so marvelous?

OT: Sounds good to me. I'm looking forward to them exploring more possible scenarios in the game.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
RanD00M said:
Halo has a story.Well,I guess you learn something new everyday.
I call your surprise unfounded and troll-like.

Seriously though, for all everyone like's to slag off Halo's lack of story, it really is no way near as lacking as other games like Gears or Killzone. The dialogue's sharp and quotable, the universe is interesting, and I think a lot of people don't give enough credit to Bungie for the way they worked in all the religious symbolism, and its implications on matters such as blind-faith, dogmatism, holy wars, etc.
*facepalm* Sorry but I forgot to add at the end of my post "/sarcasm".

I was being sarcastic.

I do know that there is a story. But it's so not present that you could just as well skip it.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
T said:
I never played Halo 2, but Halo 3's narrative was an incoherent, incomprehensible mess.
Is it unreasonable for writers of direct sequels to expect familiarity with the plot, settings, and characters from previous installments?

If you missed Halo 2 you also wouldn't know about the Arbiter, Commander Miranda Keyes, the Prophet of Truth, the Brutes, Delta Halo, the Great Schism, the Forerunner Keyship, or the Gravemind and Cortana on High Charity before playing Halo 3. I can see why you'd be confused.

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
Can we please suspend everyone that says Halo has no story? Most of these people probably haven't even played all of the trilogy, so therefore can not comment.

Anyway, I'm happy about this, I'm a Bungie fanboy, I must admit, and I'm happy they've got freedom some to do some cooler stuff with the gameplay and such.

Also, anyone seen the leaked photos? Elites still make me facepalm, want my Halo 2 Elite back.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
but there's a lot to be recommended about the universe and the way Bungie constructed it.
I will not deny that the Halo universe in interesting,and it could be so much more then Bungie makes it.

slowpoke999

Sep 17, 2009
I'm sorry but Bungie need to run more ad campaigns and showcase these "new features" for their new game for their own good. I haven't seen any Halo reach trailers and I have no idea how it is different from the other games. The halo 3 trailer was shown in every channel from Cartoon Network to the ones your parents don't know you have access to.

And why the hell was Bungie so concerned with not ruining the Halo story yet they fucked up the weapon balance, too much concentrated efforts?