"...but we're just friends"

gl1koz3

May 24, 2010
I have zero experience on this, but as far as I've seen others succeed at it, you have to take the initiative right away. If you go extra slow (soft) about it, they will switch to friend mode. As far as I've observed, they just want to get physical. Once you give the right signals, they'll click into "like mode" and will barely be able to do something about it.

If you don't play the game right (success = sex; failure = friendship), then it's either an unusual case (you've got somewhat lucky), or it's not a woman. So, you have to really make it clear that you're all up for it, BUT, you have to really be clear about it - not stalking or any of the cryptic flower-gift shit (although every so rarely it can't hurt AFTER you've made yourself clear). There has to be a sense of progress in relationship, yet not too pushing. She'll know when to tell you if she's not interested, so you just move on to the next one after this happens.

I wish I could just walk out and try all what I've observed. It kind of lost its charm since I found a few other awesome hobbies.

Bealzibob

Jul 4, 2009
I had to pull the "we're just friends" card on a girl a little while ago. It's awkward and I was scared I might really hurting her feelings. It sucks when your friendly to someone but they want to take it further,you know there are things about them that you really like but you just not attracted to them in that way.

eh, you just have to move on I suppose, thats what I did when it happened to me.

LinkSwitch

Jan 1, 2011
I've always found that the best way to approach this is by simply appearing to not be the slightest bit interested in the girl.

Even if you spend every waking moment thinking of her, dreamily doodling "Mrs(enter your name here)", as long as you seem completely disinterested TO HER, you come across as both confident, and (sorry to put it this way, but) a 'challenge' to the girl.

Also cut back on video games an hour every day, and put that time into working out. Even if its just light. Youd be amazed at how much better youll look in a couple of weeks.

EDIT:
Also I forgot to mention that no matter how disinterested you may seem, being friendly is also your enemy when it comes to getting with the opposite sex. "Be mean, keep 'em keen" doesn't QUITE work, but the idea is on track.

rutger5000

Oct 19, 2010
Sturmdolch said:
Because you asked her out after you became friends with her... My friend does this all the time. He finds a girl he likes, and instead of asking her out while they're just acquaintances, he slowly becomes her friend. Five months later, he'll be sad that she's talking about other guys to him.

Show your feelings and intentions early.

Or perhaps the girl really isn't interested in you. Saying you want to stay friends is a nice way of saying she doesn't want to go out with you.
This guy is a genius, if you like a girl ask her out! No bullshitting around. And wouldn't you feel weird dating a real close friend? I know I would.

MrMetal

Jan 21, 2011
^we are driven to conquer women, if i had a girl who was my close friend and who was physically attractive, id shag her regardless...girls are not like that, they are too overwhelmed by the cockfest surrounding them that every other "lesser male" is perceived as a static corporal form, which is why you have to be at the top of the game and in control of yourself physically and mentally.
and women, especially attractive women, have so many guy friends they dont know what to do with them, it's more like emotional cannon fodder to when the next asshole cheats or breaks up with her while the other poor prick is holding his flaccid cock in hope she will choose him for the rebound...in vain lol

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Meh, I never get that, because I seem to only hang around with girls with boyfriends already.

Of course, being shot down when you're not even flying is a bit confusing... "Nah, that's not happening" "Wait, what isn't?"

And since I very rarely find myself looking at a girl in any way other than "friend I'd probably sleep with given the chance", it's not much of a problem.

rutger5000

Oct 19, 2010
No I've never been there. Seriously I haven't and I never will. But through common sense, and not being an asshole logic I think I can give a valid point on this.
I already said this in another post but: If you like a girl ask her out! No bullshitting around.
Now of course it's possible that you start to feel attracted to a girl after you've became friends. Then the same rule applies just ask her out! If you're really friends you'll stay friends even if she rejects you. Otherwise either she doesn't really trust you, or you are just an asshole that set up a friendship to get in someones pants.
There's one girl I'm in the friends-zone with, but I put us there and I like it. First she had too little confidence to feel appealing to me. By the time I got over that I noticed that she was like family to me. Going out would be really weird. This is also something I told her when she needed another boost of confidence.

I must admit though that it's easy for me to talk though. I've noticed that I'm popular with girls, the hell how did that happen? So yeah I can afford the friends zone. It's a good thing though having girls as friends that you can ask for advice about other girls.

supermariner

Aug 27, 2010
it's a clever girl device of saying:
"yeah i'm really not interested in you"
designed not to hurt your feelings too much
she probably doesn't think we cant be boyfriend material because we're TOO nice
maybe she even likes that. we can't be boyfriend material for other reasons
which would be hurtful to us to mention

Aulleas123

Aug 12, 2009
WOPR said:
...Just wondering
Why is it that EVERY girl I have ever talked to... goes like this...

"I like you, you're nice, funny, kind, and anyone would be very lucky to have you"
(quickly followed up by)
"...but we're JUST friends, okay?"
(2/3 of the time)
"You're like a brother to me..."

...soo am I the only one that wonders "well if all that is true why doesn't anyone try to give me a chance instead of pulling the 'friend' card every time?"

sorry starting to rant

In Short: Has anyone else had this situation?

(and yeah it ticks me off that after all that stuff they say they go out with a total dick saying "I can change him, he's nice deep down")
Sure, tell them to get a dog and then stop answering their calls.

No, in all seriousness I have had this happen all the time. It sucks every single time. I also think it's hilarious when women say "oh, I'm not into assholes" or "I just want to date a nice guy." Kinda like a politician, they'll tell you a complete lie to look socially acceptable.

What they are interested in is confidence. I have seen some of the most grotesque dudes land some very good looking women, all because they come off as confident. Now I'm not saying being modest and humble is a bad thing, I'm just saying that the 'shy, cuddly' folks that we are need to learn how to put on a different face around women. A face that says "I don't really care what you think because you are here at this moment and will be gone in an hour, so I will do and say whatever I want because you will not even exist after tonight" allows you to do whatever you want. So why not act as such?

Bohemian Waltz

Oct 3, 2010
The obviously horrible brilliant solutions to these unfortunate situations: (A social experiment)

Reply to the following with:

WOPR said:
."I like you, you're nice, funny, kind, and anyone would be very lucky to have you"
"You're sweet, intelligent, and beautiful and I'd be lucky to have you."
"Can you be anyone?"
"Sounds like a good start to the application I'm submitting to fill the position of being with you"
WOPR said:
"...but we're JUST friends, okay?"
"Okay, but you do know that good friends make excellent boy-friends"
"Okay, but could we be just friends that happen to fall in love with one another?"
"Okay, but could we be just friends that make-out, hold hands, go out together, and cuddle during movies & cold nights with each other exclusively?"
"Okay, but I'd like to upgrade my service from friend zone to romantic interest"

WOPR said:
"You're like a brother to me..."
"We could have a marvelous incestuous affair."
"So don't think of me like a brother, think of me as a person who's interested in you."

*Extra credit for daring if you use the word "Gurrl, babycakes, or muffin" at any point in the above responses.

If you're going to get the *****-out cliche response; then you might as well go out with a little bit of flair and zaz. Unless you're committed to being a pussy nice-guy.

Phoenixlight

Aug 24, 2008
Well if you are a nerd then it's very likely that girls aren't going to find you the slightest bit attractive so they'll say "just friends" so that they don't hurt your feelings.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
superbatranger said:
But, what if these other concerns are actually important? Things that have nothing to do with self doubt, but rather with yourself as a person. For example, working overtime to pay rent, a sudden illness in the family, a major exam in a few days, and so on. In that case, what takes priority?

Also, I'm not sure one's self doubt would seemingly invent some arbitrary bullshit just so that you wouldn't ask that girl out.
For some, Self Doubt provides a function, a rationalization to not do something out of fear of what might or might not happen. This can take many forms; random thought generation, the sudden urge to empty one's bladder and so forth. With the ultimate goal of distracting you from whatever it is you are thinking of doing.

As for the real concerns, they may in fact be legitimate pre-existing circumstances. But you have to ask yourself; Yes I have to work overtime to pay the rent, it's happening so accept it. With a family illness, they are the ones who are sick*. With school/exams, if you know the material and have prepared for it then you will pass.

*It might be somewhat shallow or self centred thinking that, but worrying about things you can't change has never solved anything.

When all the stress is pushing down on you, remember that old Chineese proverb;
"One joy can shatter a hundred griefs." One of the greatest joys is meeting a new girl.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
Two things.

If she doesn't want to enter a relationship, she probably wouldn't have wanted to when you first met her either.
You should still maintain your friendship with that person even if they're not interested romantically.

OmegaAlucard777

Sep 20, 2010
Duke Machine said:
New Vegas Samurai said:
Hey brah, not to be rude or insensitive, but you really gotta stop making friends, If you want a relationship, go for it and see what happens...
More importantly, don't let them use you with the excuse of being friends.

Sure, if you honestly want to remain friends and be the shoulder to cry on, go right ahead, as long as you don't cling to the hope that this is the key to their hearts, yeah?

To be honest, it's a very manipulative move
While I laugh at this guys use of 'brah' I agree, if you want them as friends thats great, girls can be good company. However if you want a relationship with a girl then MAN UP and ask her before she gets attached. Worst she can do is say no, which is not the end of the world. Some might even say it builds character :p
I agree with you all. I just pose a hypothetical situation.

Say a guy enters into a friendship with no feelings for the girl. Then finds out later how great she is and all that stuff and suddenly begins to have romantic feelings for the girl. Does that mean that the guy is essentially screwed for life?

I only ask because everyone is basically saying the same thing.

Yoshisummons

Aug 10, 2010
With all the views to a thread this new I think it answered your own question. Social awkwardness forever!

squintzepalladoris

Jun 29, 2010
Yes. Pretty much all except for one of my relationships with girls have ended this way. I say ended because I see no point in being friends with a girl who i have a romantic interest in, when I know that the relationship will never be anything more than "just friends". The only girl that has gone on an actual date with me was a girl that I only knew in passing, until one day I asked her to the movies and she said yes. That didn't go any further than a first date though (just too damn shy). So i would have to agree, that you don't want to become "friends" before you ask them out.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Gah I hate this general attitude! It implies that it is impossible for people of two different genders to just be goddamn friends.

I had an incredibly good friend in college who was female. She thought my being single sucked and even went out of her way to try and find someone for me (this failed hilariously). She also wasn't the slightest bit interested in having a relationship with me just as I was not interested in pursuing one with her.

Why is this strange? Where is the logic in suggesting that if a girl thinks you would make someone a good boyfriend it should be her?

edit: Also there appears to be the implication that only girls will 'friendzone' someone. Does that mean guys will go out with anyone that shows the slightest bit of interest in them?