Buy Dragon Age 2, Get Mass Effect 2 Free - UPDATED

Drakane

May 8, 2009
now I don't have to open my roommates game for the ps3 (yes he owns it and its still in its wrapper). Win for me.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
The Random One said:
Kasumi > Zaeed
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No, seriously, that's some funny stuff. Thanks.
That's a lot of enthusiasm for 8th place

I didn't realize this deal involved downloading, I barely tolerate Steam. No way in hell I'd deal with this crap

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
mireko said:
Cool. I already have ME2 on the 360, but gift horses, mouths etc.

malestrithe said:
Would be a nice deal, if I were a Bioware fan. I do not get why people hate Square-Enix for trying new things with their Final Fantasy series, but praise Bioware for making the same game since 1998.
Congratulations, that makes exactly no sense at all.

[sub]People don't hate Square-Enix for trying new things with their Final Fantasy series.
Square-Enix isn't trying new things with their Final Fantasy series.
BioWare hasn't been making the same game since 1998.
People hate BioWare because their newer games are too different from their older fare.

And I'm saying this as someone who kind of liked FFXIII.
[/sub]
I don't care if you kind of sort of like Final Fantasy XIII because it does not change the fact that you are ignorant of the criticisms. A lot of the criticisms about Final Fantasy XIII states that it is too different from Final Fantasy VII. A lot of people did not like the fact that they had less control over the combat than in earlier games. Many people hate the fact that you are stuck in linear hallways, wherein earlier games you had freedom to move around the world. Many people hate the linearity of the plot, where earlier games gave you some control over the progression of the plot. You do not have to got the next step in the plot, if you'd rather play around doing the myriad sidequests.

As for Bioware making the same game over and over again, Hate to break it you but they have. You think that a different setting could possibly change the fact that the story is the same one used from game to game? It does not matter if it deep space, Faerun, Feudal China, The old Republic, of their own Tokeinesque world because it is always "you" having a mysterious past, you being prophesied to help the world or hinder it, and you being involved in some apocalyptic battle with the bad guy who is ready to kill the world, but will wait for you until you are done dicking around in their Harvest moon simulator.

The fact that "you" are a blank slate does not mean a thing because it is lazy writing. The idea that you are playing yourself is really a copout because you have more personality than the creature you are playing. The NPCs look through you instead of at you.

I will repeat: When you play a Bioware game, You are playing the same game over and over again regardless of setting.

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
Kalezian said:
Belladonnah said:
Andy Chalk said:
The Random One said:
Kasumi > Zaeed
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No, seriously, that's some funny stuff. Thanks.
I don't get it... is it just me that is not in on the joke?

In combat, Kasumi is an Infiltrator without the range one shot kill ability other companions who have sniper rifles, while she does do some pretty awesome damage with her special, its only against one target, Zaeed on the other hand, is a badass.

OT: Im still tryign to figure out if we can gift Mass Effect 2, either via file transfer or simply redeeming/installing on someone elses computer.

The only thing I can think of that would stop it is the online activation, it might make DA 2 unplayable on your real computer [though from hearing all the moaning about it, that might be an improvement].

Of course, this is just assumptions.
I, on the other hand, can't play without Kasumi on my party. Shadow Strike is perfect for taking out guys in cover, and Flashbang... is probably the best ability in the game?

While Zaeed to me just feels like a worse Garrus or a less useful Legion... I don't see why you would ever want Zaeed on your party over either of them.

That's why I don't get it :p

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
I already have ME2 for PC and have no desire to add DA2 to my collection of unfinished Steam games.

Also, I'm all for showing love to the PC crowd, but this still seems a bit unfair.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
What they don't mention is that DA2's sales have been going down exponentially whereas DA:O higher sustained sales. At this rate they'll soon be selling only a few thousand a week.

A fantastic deal, but it smacks of desperation.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Hmm... I might go and buy this now. Because I've wanted both games, yet I haven't finished Dragon Age or Mass Effect yet...

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Saviordd1 said:
malestrithe said:
Would be a nice deal, if I were a Bioware fan. I do not get why people hate Square-Enix for trying new things with their Final Fantasy series, but praise Bioware for making the same game since 1998.
Ah yes, because Square-Enix has obviously not done the same thing by following the same basic plot line for the last ten games
/endsarcasm
Not talking about the plot or the story in Final Fantasy games. I am talking about everything else in them.

Final Fantasy games have used different fighting mechanics in every game.
They tried to make new combat systems in most of their games.
They tried to do a job class thing in a few games.
They also tried a level progression system based on how much you get beaten up in others.

Only did the railroad leveling up in two games, 10 and 13. Every other game either had straight leveling up or a license grid where you get to choose what path you want to take each character down. That is unless they are talking about levels.

Now, let's talk about Bioware. Yet, you would call Bioware innovative and taking the medium in a new direction even though that new direction seems to be using the same story and plot progression, but only changing the settings? Even the so called "conversation tree" has been used since Baldur's gate and the one they used in Mass Effect adds nothing to it. Instrad of having a list of choices, you rotate a circle.

As for combat, it is the same every game since KoTOR and not that different from what you would find in any western RPG.

Call a spade a spade, guy.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I would be all over this if it was on Steam. As another poster noted, the EA Download manager is epic fail. The way I see it, DA2 is worth about $30, and ME2 is worth probably more than DA2, so it's a great deal... but no Steam, no deal. Sorry Bioware, you are epically failing with DA2, so it's not worth the money at this point.

PS. Don't fuck up TOR please.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Belladonnah said:
While Zaeed to me just feels like a worse Garrus or a less useful Legion... I don't see why you would ever want Zaeed on your party over either of them.

That's why I don't get it :p
He's most like Grunt with disruptor ammo instead of incendiary. He utterly destroys geth and has good health. But yea Garrus and Legion are still cooler

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
malestrithe said:
Saviordd1 said:
malestrithe said:
Ah yes, because Square-Enix has obviously not done the same thing by following the same basic plot line for the last ten games
/endsarcasm
Not talking about the plot or the story in Final Fantasy games. I am talking about everything else in them.

Final Fantasy games have used different fighting mechanics in every game.
They tried to make new combat systems in most of their games.
They tried to do a job class thing in a few games.
They also tried a level progression system based on how much you get beaten up in others.

Only did the railroad leveling up in two games, 10 and 13. Every other game either had straight leveling up or a license grid where you get to choose what path you want to take each character down. That is unless they are talking about levels.

Now, let's talk about Bioware. Yet, you would call Bioware innovative and taking the medium in a new direction even though that new direction seems to be using the same story and plot progression, but only changing the settings? Even the so called "conversation tree" has been used since Baldur's gate and the one they used in Mass Effect adds nothing to it. Instrad of having a list of choices, you rotate a circle.

As for combat, it is the same every game since KoTOR and not that different from what you would find in any western RPG.

Call a spade a spade, guy.
This shows pretty gross mis-information

They tried things that everyone else had already done and thought might work for a FF game, they didnt really make anything new.

Meanwhile bioware, while its story has been cliched is actually taking stories and tailoring them to you as well as making companions that can have very different opinions of you from playthrough to playthrough

Meanwhile FF is still the same cast of angsty teens in bad clothing

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
malestrithe said:
I don't care if you kind of sort of like Final Fantasy XIII because it does not change the fact that you are ignorant of the criticisms. A lot of the criticisms about Final Fantasy XIII is that it is too different from Final Fantasy VII. A lot of people did not like the fact that they had less control over the combat than in earlier games. Many people hate the fact that you are stuck in linear hallways, wherein earlier games you had freedom to move around the world. Many people hate the linearity of the plot, where earlier games gave you some control over the progression of the plot. You do not have to got the next step in the plot, if you'd rather play around doing the myriad sidequests.

As for Bioware making the same game over and over again, Hate to break it you but they have. You think that a different setting could possibly change the fact that the story is the same one used from game to game? It does not matter if it deep space, Faerun, Feudal China, The old Republic, of their own Tokeinesque world because it is always "you" having a mysterious past, you being prophesied to help the world or hinder it, and you being involved in some apocalyptic battle with the bad guy who is ready to kill the world, but will wait for you until you are done dicking around in their Harvest moon simulator.

The fact that "you" are a blank slate does not mean a thing because it is lazy writing. The idea that you are playing yourself is really a copout because you have more personality than the creature you are playing. The NPCs look through you instead of at you.

I will repeat: When you play a Bioware game, You are playing the same game over and over again regardless of setting.
So according to you, Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect, and Baldur's Gate are all the same game? I'm pretty sure if you said that on the BioWare forums they would invent a way to punch you through the internet.

Their stories all have similar story arcs, and you can tell it's the same group writing each one, but can't that be said about almost every writer/writing team? They stick to what they do best. Saying you are playing the same game is just silly, as anyone who's played them will know there's a pretty big difference between the three games I listed....then again, I get the feeling you haven't actually played the games that you're bashing, so I'm just going to walk away.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
malestrithe said:

I've played most of KoTOR, most of DA2 (basically playing them for the first time these past few weeks) and all of ME1, ME2 and DA:O. Not one of them has had the same story or even the same feel for the most part. We see similar design and dialogue systems, but that's just their signature style. ME2 has a different feel to the combat than ME1 and DA2 is even more distanced from its predecessor (hence the backlash).

If you don't like their games, fine. Just say that. But don't just repeat "they're all the same" over and over, hoping it will come true. They're all different games with similar storytelling techniques.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
It's nice that they're trying to placate alot of pissed off fans, and it's even cool that they're giving away a far superior game to do it, but alot of those pissed off fans likely already own ME2.

Should have thrown out a freebie DLC or something instead. Oh, that's right. Most people who'd spend money on ME2 already own it, and BW will lose potential sales from giving out free DLC.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Calibretto said:
Wow they must be really desperate to sell copies of Dragon Age 2 desperate times come for desperate measures.. Its only the THIRD WEEK and they doing marketing stunts like this.
Or maybe they're trying to rekindle interest for Mass Effect 2 as prep for Mass Effect 3? Dragon Age 2 is selling quite well all on its own, they really don't need to bribe folks to pick it up.