Buy Dragon Age 2, Get Mass Effect 2 Free - UPDATED

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
The.Bard said:
*High Snip Five*
Yeah people are just being haters.

But I don't get where Spangles was getting 3 weeks from.

The celebration ad says that they reached the 1 million mark in less than 2 weeks, faster than DA: Origins.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Xaio30 said:
I'm gonna be the guy and say:
They really needed to bundle it with ME2 to compensate for DA2's shittyness?

There, I said it.
Seriously? They already reached the 1 million mark in sales in less than 2 weeks. They aren't compensating for anything. And DA2 being as you say "Shitty" is an opinion, not fact.

My friends and I think DA2 is awesome, on par if not better than Origins. The only reason people think DA2 did bad is because of the Internet funnel. Mostly haters are the ones that came online to bad mouth it, while the majority(the people that love it) have been too busy playing it to even care what the internet haters have been saying.

I showed my support by giving it a 10 on Metacritic, it deserves it because the flaws were minor and it greatly improved on/fixed the problems that DA:Origins has.

Xaio30

Nov 24, 2010
Hey! I warned you I was gonna be "That Guy"!
I know it's my opinion, what else would it be? xD
It's not like any of us could represent all gamers opinions.

And as my opinion alone, I say DA2 is a horrible game with way too many excuses.
I rest my case.

Mr Binary

Jan 24, 2011
InsaneFool said:
Too bad the EA Downloader doesn't allow for gifting since I already own Mass Effect 2.
Yeah, I would love to be able to gift it to a friend. This is a nice deal for those who have not played ME2.

shado_temple

Oct 20, 2010
Konata Star said:
InsaneFool said:
Too bad the EA Downloader doesn't allow for gifting since I already own Mass Effect 2.
Yeah, I would love to be able to gift it to a friend. This is a nice deal for those who have not played ME2.
According to people on the Bioware forums, you might be able to gift it to a friend; you just have to send them the code, and tell them to download it from from the EADM.

Teroch

Dec 25, 2009
So, how does this work if you bought DA2 on Steam? I have to enter my "Online Pass Code", but neither of the two codes Steam gives me if I right-click on DA2 and choose to display the codes is correct. What am I doing wrong?

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
Does anyone know, is this the PC version of MAss Effect 2 that has the new Mass Effect 3 engine, like the PS3 version? Or is it the old fashioned, but still awesome Mass Effect 2?

Thoric485

Aug 17, 2008
Well, good for everyone who likes those games, but i'll pass.

And do suspend all belief that they're doing this out of the goodness of their hearts, i don't remember a bonus for DA:O selling 5+ million. It's purely a marketing ploy to counteract the bad rep the game has.

Desert Tiger

Apr 25, 2009
THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING BIOWARE FOR ALL THESE YEARS, LOYAL FANS! HERE'S A COPY OF A GAME YOU ALREADY OWN!

Desert Tiger

Apr 25, 2009
Sonic Doctor said:
Xaio30 said:
I'm gonna be the guy and say:
They really needed to bundle it with ME2 to compensate for DA2's shittyness?

There, I said it.
Seriously? They already reached the 1 million mark in sales in less than 2 weeks. They aren't compensating for anything. And DA2 being as you say "Shitty" is an opinion, not fact.
Um... obviously it's his opinion. He didn't say it was fact.

Worr Monger

Jan 21, 2008
Bioware giving away a free game for the purchase of a recent release.

Something beneficial to anyone who had some interest in getting DA2 & ME2 but was on the fence until possibly, now.

Something that is entirely optional, and can be completely avoided by those not interested.

^^Proof that you can not please everyone, and that SOMEONE will inevitably complain about ANYTHING^^

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
LogicNProportion said:
I'd like to point out that the publishers are often the ones who get to decide when the game comes out, not the developer.

In other words, just chalk another point on the "EA Scale of Evil."

Leave BioWare alone, they're still our good buddies!!! T_T
I'm not discounting EA's influence, but it sounds like Bioware was anxious as anyone to get this one out the door. A lot of people think Bioware are crapping the bed with the The Old Republic, so they wanted to get something to market as soon as possible to prop up their public image. Looks like it backfired.

Seriously blows my minds how a company giving away a FREE GAME to its customers can be met with anything other than adulation. Entitled ingrates.
Corporations froth at the mouth when they read stuff like this.

I'll talk slow so you won't think I'm an "entitled ingrate".

The game is free for you. It isn't free for them. This invariably leads us down one of two roads (or possibly halfway down both).

1) The "free" game has essentially reached maximum penetration, so giving it away for free via digital download costs them virtually nothing. In this sense, the game is almost precisely as free for them as it is for you, so I fail to see the generosity. If anything, the misleading notion that the players are receiving some amazing "deal" feels like emotional manipulation designed to counter the PR black eye from DA2.

2) The "free" game still has some remaining sales potential, so giving it away for free comes out of their bottom line. Their accountants don't write it off as a charitable donation before rushing to the drum circle, holding hands and laughing. That money has to come from somewhere else. They have to balance the spreadsheet, and that could mean almost anything. Development cycles cut short. Recycled assets. Where have I seen those...

As someone else pointed out: if they'd done a good job on DA2, and they were seeing the sales they anticipated, they wouldn't be doing this promotion. They'd just be raking in cash, and deservedly so. Instead, they're scrambling to boost sales (which have fallen off exponentially since release, which traded mostly on pre-sales anyways) and recover good-will with the fans they so recently dumped on - also, deservedly so.

Taerdin

Nov 7, 2006
The.Bard said:
They're giving away a FREE game, even if you already bought DA2. Do the math, dude. If one million people already bought DA2, giving a free copy of ME2 to them is not a way to increase sales.
If you buy DA2 before April 30th you can get the free copy of ME2. Sounds like it might increase sales to me...

Desert Tiger said:
THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING BIOWARE FOR ALL THESE YEARS, LOYAL FANS! HERE'S A COPY OF A GAME YOU ALREADY OWN!
Made me laugh. Initially, and upon reading your comment. "We will now reward your loyalty to us by giving you a game which... if you truly are a loyal fan, you already own"

Hilarity

pretentiousname01

Sep 30, 2009
@update
And thus my major complaint is resolved.

However, I would still like to get my cross platform dlc I bought.

That being sad I do prefer it with the 360controller

also captchas suck

Kilgengoor

Sep 7, 2010
Orekoya said:
Kilgengoor said:
Goddammit, EA! My DVD-reader unit died on me last month, so I decided to get both Mass Effects through Steam because I wanted to replay them. And just a couple of weeks ago I bought Dragon Age 2.

GOD-FUCKING-DAMMIT.
So, give the code away to a friend?
I don't think I'm in the promotion. Still, I'm not pissed at EA for giving away ME2 for free, but because I could have saved 30-40? that I could invest in DA:O, for instance.

Atheist.

Overmind
Sep 12, 2008
bushwhacker2k said:
Only one question:

does this work if I get it on Steam?
Yeah, you just need to use the Black Emporium code you got under your cd-key section called "Entitlement content" or whatever on http://social.bioware.com/me2offer.php that page.

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
Seriously blows my minds how a company giving away a FREE GAME to its customers can be met with anything other than adulation. Entitled ingrates.
FieryTrainwreck said:
Corporations froth at the mouth when they read stuff like this.

I'll talk slow so you won't think I'm an "entitled ingrate".

The game is free for you. It isn't free for them. This invariably leads us down one of two roads (or possibly halfway down both).

1) The "free" game has essentially reached maximum penetration, so giving it away for free via digital download costs them virtually nothing. In this sense, the game is almost precisely as free for them as it is for you, so I fail to see the generosity. If anything, the misleading notion that the players are receiving some amazing "deal" feels like emotional manipulation designed to counter the PR black eye from DA2.

2) The "free" game still has some remaining sales potential, so giving it away for free comes out of their bottom line. Their accountants don't write it off as a charitable donation before rushing to the drum circle, holding hands and laughing. That money has to come from somewhere else. They have to balance the spreadsheet, and that could mean almost anything. Development cycles cut short. Recycled assets. Where have I seen those...

As someone else pointed out: if they'd done a good job on DA2, and they were seeing the sales they anticipated, they wouldn't be doing this promotion. They'd just be raking in cash, and deservedly so. Instead, they're scrambling to boost sales (which have fallen off exponentially since release, which traded mostly on pre-sales anyways) and recover good-will with the fans they so recently dumped on - also, deservedly so.
You don't need to talk slow. You need to speak well, make logical points, and refrain from getting angry just because someone is trying to give you a free game. (All of which you've done - huzzah!) Besides, your use of Farnsworth tells me of your character, sir - the very highest.

I agree with much of what you say. I still hold fast to my statement, though. Whether it's because of Case 1 or Case 2, the bottom line is they are providing those of us who bought DA2 already a game free of charge - something that I have personally not seen outside of Valve giving away Portal on Steam for free last year.

If given a takeback, perhaps I would say meeting a free game with "a mighty rage" blows my mind, instead of my original "anything other than adulation." You don't have to love them for it, but it still blows my mind that people are so angry about it. I don't understand this sense of entitlement we have.

Aren't gestures like these how these companies get into our good graces to begin with? By doing nice things for us, regardless of how big or little an impact it has on their coffers? When Blizzard has hiccups on their WoW servers, they credit people for the time lost (or at least they did when I played back in 06). When Netflix experiences problems streaming, they send me an email and credit me back the time lost. Both of those things are gestures meant to offset public outrage, are they not?

IF Bioware's reasoning for this (and we can only assume what that reasoning is, unless one of us works for EA or Bioware) was to appease the people who won't shut up about DA2, why do we feel the need to spit in their faces over it? That's my point. I'm not interested in guessing why they're doing it, and what it ends up costing them.

For all the hubbub on the internet over what a terrible game it is, my friends & I are all of the opinion that it is either "really good" "equal to DA:O" or "better than DA:O". I have yet to meet one person in my real waking life who hated it. Even disliked it.

Now, I'm not saying that ten children on the web are entirely responsible for creating this tempest in a teacup, but I don't think Bioware is quaking in their boots over DA2 sales at all, and I don't think DA2's lifetime sales are going to be bad. They might be lower than some other Bioware games, but most companies would probably kill for a million sales in 2 weeks.

So at the end of the day, what would everyone prefer they give us? Nothing? Would that be a better solution here?

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Geez people are still complaining about this? While you tossers are going on about it, I've been enjoying the game, which I highly suggest all of you do.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
WaaghPowa said:
Geez people are still complaining about this? While you tossers are going on about it, I've been enjoying the game, which I highly suggest all of you do.
Most people already gotten the game.

I didn't and can't wait to...Oh, it's done.