Call of Duty: Black Ops Tops Guinness' "Greatest Videogame Ending" List

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Diablo1099 said:
Wait?...
Do they mean the main story or JFK killing Zombies?...
Honestly, I thought Zombies was the only good part of the game, but only if you play with friends, on one TV, splitscreen, like how I prefer to play L4D. It knows it's silly, so it just goes over the top with the silly, and ultimately, is more satisfying than the campaign. As in, you get to, say, round 50, and then you die, after being taken down, and desperately holding the zombie horde off as your friend tries to escape, only for him to go down as well, and that screen comes up, showing the round you got to, made me more emotionally involved than any other CoD related thing. Just avoid online zombies, if you can, and you're good. All this from someone whose latest CoD game is CoD 3 for the original Xbox. I play it at a friend's house.

Boy, this got long fast...

SteewpidZombie

Dec 31, 2010
I'm surprised that there are that many people in the world who can't beat any games harder then BlackOps or it's sequels "Shooty-Shooty, Bang-Bang" or "Rage Furiously Into Your Microphone (1, 2, and 3)".

Sir Boss

Mar 24, 2011
so, Bioshock, Red Dead, Portal, and the Mass Effects placed lower than Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops. arg, my brain, my brain.

Phantomess

Sep 19, 2009
I was happy to see both main KH games were on the list. Deservedly so, in my opinion. Both games finished particularly poignantly given the events of the playthrough.

HandsomeZer0

Dec 6, 2010
My inner fanboy is screaming WHY DOESN'T MGS GET MOAR VOTES! Seriously, every ending of that game although dialogue heavy as hell was awesome.

Orks da best

Oct 12, 2011
HavoK 09 said:
13,000 videogame fans is in no way accurate when you have a planet filled with millions of them...

and i can picture quite a few posts saying WTF NO SKYRIM?
at this point i feel like this to any skyrim fan

"ha ha skyrim no made top 50 list." I really sorry.

also why cod for 1st place? though i am glad halo reach made high, but still cod? many gmaes have had way better endings then cod!

sabercrusader

Jul 18, 2009
Wait wait wait. Black Ops AND Modern Warfare 2 both beat out Red Dead Redemption on this list?

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

loudestmute

Oct 21, 2008
Last time I flicked through a gaming edition of the Guinness Book, I found myself wondering why this even exists. The statistics I really care about (high scores, record k/d ratios, etc) could and probably have been found easier on the Twin Galaxies website.

It did mention that Nolan North was the most prolific voice actor in all of gaming, so if you take nothing else away from this thread, remember this: A Guinness World Record has proven Yahtzee right about something.

Swifty714

Jun 1, 2011
I thought that the Nazi zombies ending deserves to be on this list somewhere. I mean, the last level consisted of FIREBOMBING EARTH'S SURFACE!

Not to mention the story wasn't too bad, for just a little side mini-game that was just put in for shits and giggles at the beginning.

C F

Jan 10, 2012
Okay, new rule of thumb when making video game lists for the record books: take in your nominations and play everything on the list before attempting to put it in order.

Of a survey of thirteen thousand people, I wonder how many of those caught in the net were LIVE-dwelling CoD-fans? "Popularity contest" indeed. MGS3 should be in the top 5.

And Unleashed II beat Knights of the Old Republic? Guinness, we are all disappoint.

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
wow thats a low number of votes there im sad infamous 2 ending aint on there that was awesome.When was the poll taken?
sorry for that run on sentence there :p

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
How are half those games on that list? Mario Galaxy on the best ending ever list? It's not a bad game but best ending? Maybe if the only other game you were exposed to was pong.

Super Metroid? ...Yeah I can see that making it up there.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
-.- *slow clap* Way to go Guinness, you just showed the world that you barely even know about video Games. Here's an idea, why not stick to numbers and mathematics for world records, and leave this sort of thing to those more educated on the subject?

Hugga_Bear

May 13, 2010
My first reaction was confusion, I genuinely couldn't remember the ending to Black Ops until someone mentioned ships. Then I remembered how utterly dull and shoddy it was.
Whatever, pathetic polling of people, 13 000? Really? That's tiny, what's the betting they got them all from the same demographic too?

FilipJPhry

Jul 5, 2011
IMO, Super Metroid was the best. But to be honest, I haven't played any non-portable games in awhile.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
kael013 said:
This list has too few RPGs (a genre famed for good [i/]stories[/i]) for me to take it seriously. Where's Dragon Age: Origins?

Also great endings should be memorable right? I finished KotOR (Dark-side) in 2001 and can recall the ending perfectly. I completed Black Ops 2 years ago and the only thing I remember about the ending is that there was an underwater base out of a James Bond movie under a ship. Something isn't adding up.
wait WHAT? they had a james-bond underwater ba...... oh yeah. all i remember from the ending is something about a submarine and then you killed kennedy apparently. KotOR is significantly less hazy, though i went light side, and i get hangups about the mediocre graphics (it is a good game, but it did NOT age well), so its all kinda hazy.... and pixellated.

now i dont agree with the order on this list, and i also haven't beaten quite a few of the games, (though i have seen the ending of a few of those) but alot of these games actually have quite good endings. certainly not the best endings, but the majority of these games deserve to be on this list somewhere. the force unleashed, black-ops, any mario game, or the assassin's creed games. (well the first one was actually alright, and was one hell of a sequel hook. if only the game had a better outside-animus story and didn't make it all go batshit fucking crazy with the next 3 games)

Surpheal

Jan 23, 2012
Shadow of the Colossus is too low
Ico is not even on the list
Anyone of the three Jak and Daxter games should be number one

And finally, that is the lowest population for a survey that I have seen.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
kenu12345 said:
wow thats a low number of votes there im sad infamous 2 ending aint on there that was awesome.When was the poll taken?
sorry for that run on sentence there :p
no problem, just do the most logical thing... insert COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF COMMAS, COLONS, SEMI-COLONS, AND PERIOD CHAINS!

also, i really dont understand how infamous 1 has a better ending than 2. any ending that incites tears is absolutely goddamn fantastic. (seriously, if you aren't in the middle of playing infamous 1 or 2, and/or dont really have them on your 'MUST BUY ASAP' list, look up the good ending)