Call of Duty: Black Ops Tops Guinness' "Greatest Videogame Ending" List

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Isn't a record, by definition something y'know...

OBJECTIVE?! I mean... forget that this list obviously in no way shows the general consensus of the gaming community (information which can be confirmed by spending 5 minutes on the internet), but this is an incredibly opinion-driven thing to be put in the world's most prestigious book of records. I mean... WTF?!?!

silent-treatment

Oct 15, 2009
Lol COD:MW is at 23 and COD:MW2 is at 4. Who knew throwing a knife at someone was a deeper experience then slowly dying of radiation poisoning. Also FO3, are you kidding me? I raged the first time I beat that game. Seriously, until BS fixed it, the ending sucked, and BS took out the concept of an ending all together.

It also seems that a lot of the games on here were just put there to try to make the list seem legit.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Nope, this is wrong.

You can't ask gamers to choose the best endings because then we end up with a list like that, where half of the 'best endings' are FPS. Not saying that all FPS have bad endings ( See, Halo: Reach). But come on, all of the gamers out there who love CoD are probably gonna vote for CoD. It wouldn't matter if another game deserves the first place. They like CoD, they're gonna vote for it. That's that. It's the same way with any other game, really, but FPS/CoD gamers are a vast majority as you can tell by the number of MW3 copies sold up until now.

Honestly, this poll seems to list the most popular games of the current console generation. How did Final Fantasy VII made it to the top but some other FF games didn't? That ending was so ambiguous and predictable: The world's gonna end. Oh, wait. That's Aeris' spirit thingamajig. Fast forward 500 years into the future and Nanaki is being followed by cubs. THE END!

Alright, if it would have been up to me, Final Fantasy VIII or IX would be in there. But alright, I'll let it go. But what about FFX? That ending was really good. Forget about sequels and prequels. The ending alone was amazing.

<a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPeAseL_LkA>Don't believe me? Check it out yourself.

Seriously, how come that game didn't make it into the list? I, too, call shenanigans.

Snowblindblitz

Apr 30, 2011
Bastion. And more Bastion.

The lack of it is killing me. That was such a powerful end to the game.
Plus, Super Mario RPG should have a spot over the others, or some of the paper marios.

And more RPGs. Breath of Fire 3, the suikoden series, etc.

The poll seems like it didn't ask long term gamers...rather then the CoD/Guitar Hero phase of gaming.

Oh well, it's not objective anyways.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Isnt proved spelled with one "o"?

ayway, not really sure who should have won, but I'll just say Persona 3 fes's ending is my favorite in a game.

Khanht Cope

Jul 22, 2011
I'm startled by the lack of criticism over God of War's placing. Sure, "you become a god" is a cool ending. But it has no place in a listing of the very best endings in gaming history; nevermind number 5.

Really, this list is not fit for purpose. The participants aren't even trying to be legit.

RedHighwind07

Aug 11, 2011
Why isn't MGS3 in the top 5 at least? Plus three first person shooters in the top 4, two from the same franchise. At least they chucked God of War and Red Dead Redemption in there.

Pandabearparade

Mar 23, 2011
So Guinness just moved from objective world records to taking votes from small samples of people?

Well, they just destroyed any shred of credibility.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
WWWWWWWWWWHAAAAAAATTTTTT!? No! J-just No!

There is no way that a snowballs chance in hell, that pigs could fly, that....THAT BLACK OPS' ENDING IS CONSIDERED GREATER THEN ANY ENDING TO ANY ENTRY INTO THE METAL GEAR SOLID SAGA!!

I mean, my god, Metal Gear Solid 3's ending has been known to bring grown men to tears, Metal Gear Solid 1's was a great one and...despite split opinion over 4's, i thought it was a good conclusion.

Sorry, I'm aware this is a big fanboy rage and all, as well as knowing the importance of that thing called an opinion but but...I just can't see what Black Op's could have done to trump those endings in any way, shape or form, let alone come close to anything Hideo Kojima's done.

Darth_Dude

Jul 11, 2008
I could go the whole conspiracy theory route and say that they got paid to put Black Ops first, but then I-

No wait, that's exactly what I'm going to say.

Darth_Dude

Jul 11, 2008
I could go the whole conspiracy theory route and say that they got paid to put Black Ops first, but then I-

No wait, that's exactly what I'm going to say.

Dr Pyramid Head

Aug 16, 2011
I try to tolerate humanity and this is what it does to repay me. What happened to the games that had beautiful endings? Why aren't they on the list? What about Silent Hill 2? Or Persona 3? Or The 3rd Birthday?

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
after reading this list i totally lost my faith in 13.000 "gamers". This is a sad day for gaming. To think that Fallout 3 got in and Fallout 1 didnt....

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
#48: Ratchet And Clank: A Crack In Time

I am inclined to agree! Such a great twist to a brilliantly written game!

OddOzZy666

Jul 3, 2008
Excuse me while I go and cry deeply at the fact that Psychonauts wasn't even mentioned on the list. To say that Black Ops has a better ending than that of Metal Gear 4 and Red Dead Redemption is, quite frankly, incredibly stupid.

After crying, I shall hang myself. Tatty-bye!

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Super Mario Bros: "Hooray, she's not in another castle!"
--> 11th
Metal Gear Solid 3: Only video game ending to ever move me to tears
--> 32nd

Yeah, that makes total sense.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Just goes to show that the guy who put this together probably played a bit of all of those games over a month, and then hurried to write an article.