Call of Duty Community Not Misogynistic, Says Sledgehammer Co-Founder

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
erttheking said:
I'm sorry, I'm not the one who made up a definition of a word on the spot because it better suited my argument allowing me get angry at someone for saying the exact opposite of what he actually said.

Also, I'm an English Major. I study the language for a living.

Don't you dare fucking tell me I don't understand the language I study.
Then you should have no problems answering the questions.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
The Lunatic said:
erttheking said:
I'm sorry, I'm not the one who made up a definition of a word on the spot because it better suited my argument allowing me get angry at someone for saying the exact opposite of what he actually said.

Also, I'm an English Major. I study the language for a living.

Don't you dare fucking tell me I don't understand the language I study.
Then you should have no problems answering the questions.
Your questions have nothing to do with anything. You blatantly incorrectly defined a word and are basing all of your outrage around it. I see no reason to answer irrelevant questions, especially after being insulted by someone who has still refused point blank to admit he was wrong.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
erttheking said:
Your questions have nothing to do with anything. You blatantly incorrectly defined a word and are basing all of your outrage around it. I see no reason to answer irrelevant questions, especially after being insulted by someone who has still refused point blank to admit he was wrong.
So you don't feel the CoD community is Misogynistic then?

I didn't insult you at all. I accused you of something, I never implied anything about you by doing so.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
The Lunatic said:
erttheking said:
So you don't feel the CoD community is Misogynistic then?
...That has nothing to do with anything. Just like every other question you've asked.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
erttheking said:
...That has nothing to do with anything. Just like every other question you've asked.
So, you don't see how me questioning if you agree with the guy in the article is related to the article?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
The Lunatic said:
erttheking said:
So, you don't see how me questioning if you agree with the guy in the article is related to the article?
No I don't because it has absolutely nothing to do with anything that we've been talking about. You started talking about how people were just throwing around the term misogynistic hoping that it would stick. I said no one was doing that. You incorrectly defined a word and now you're demanding my opinion on the matter that we were never talking about in the first place.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
erttheking said:
No I don't because it has absolutely nothing to do with anything that we've been talking about. You started talking about how people were just throwing around the term misogynistic hoping that it would stick. I said no one was doing that. You incorrectly defined a word and now you're demanding my opinion on the matter that we were never talking about in the first place.
Which you said you'd dropped, now you're talking about it again?!

It's a forum for discussion, if you don't want to discuss things, there's not much point posting.

So, I'm asking if you agree with the guy in the interview, because your initial post made it seem like you did not.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
The Lunatic said:
erttheking said:
Which you said you'd dropped, now you're talking about it again?!

It's a forum for discussion, if you don't want to discuss things, there's not much point posting.

So, I'm asking if you agree with the guy in the interview, because your initial post made it seem like you did not.
No I didn't. But I suppose we might as well shift gears. This wasn't going anywhere.

And I believe that there's a misogynistic undertone to the culture, and I believe that overall it's a nesting ground for fuck heads.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
"I certainly wouldn't characterize the community of fans I know and had the pleasure to engage with as toxic...."

I'd like a plane ticket to whatever beautiful alternate universe Mr. Condrey inhabits. A one-way ticket, please.

Adultratedhydra

Aug 19, 2010
UberPubert said:
I really don't get where the reputation for most online games having bad communities comes from
Two main megaphones drowning out reasonable thought come to mind. One Starts with A and is a hand puppet and the other are people who believe all independant thought is deviant and must be purged along with anyone who doesnt share their vision of the future.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
erttheking said:
The Lunatic said:
erttheking said:
Yeah...you didn't read the article. Because you know who the article said accused Call of Duty fans of being misogynistic?

NO ONE!

So I'm not replying to what you said here, because it's talking at length about something that didn't happen.
Let's look at that quote again.

"I certainly wouldn't characterize the community of fans I know and had the pleasure to engage with as toxic or misogynistic,"

You see, the key word here is "Characterise".

When people talk about characters, they tend to mean a defining trait of a person.

So to imply that the community has character is to talk about it's most prominent traits.

To then say "I wouldn't characterise them as misogynistic" is to imply that, whilst they have those traits, they are not a defining element of their character.

Even the threat title focuses on the "Apparently not misogynistic" element. So, there's clearly some implication that it is.

So, please, if you could answer the questions, please do.
...No. Not at all. Christ he's DEFENDING them. And as someone who has spent the last five years writing, to characterize something means to give a trait that describes them. It does not just apply to the most well known traits. Ergo "I wouldn't characterize them as misogynistic" = "They are not misogynistic"

So I will answer your questions when they actually relate to the topic. And as of the moment, they do not.

Also I can't find this "Apparently not misogynistic" in the title. Really you seem to be pulling things to be upset about out of thin air.
HOW DARE HE DEFEND HIS OWN CUSTOMERS AND IN TURN HIS OWN COMPANY!

How DARE he defend his millions upon millions (according to sales numbers) customers despite a dwindling minority of anonymous idiots behaving like well... anonymous idiots.... ON THE INTERNET!

Jesus christ dude, come down your high horse. At this points you come over worse then some of those halo playing kiddies that just cant deal with puberty and growing hair in funny places.

Further more he defends his customers from the accusation of being mysoginistic because it has been what? The last couple of months that games media has been pointing at gamers and said "this is why we cant have nice things?"

In my opinion alot more Developers and Publishers should take a stand against this kind of accusation because you know... the overwhelming majority of gamers is SILENT.

You dont really believe that the millions of WoW players can be characterized by the less then 1% of them who actually use the blizzard forums now do you?

Start realizing the real numbers in gaming and stop basing your judgment on the few that scream the loudest and you will realize that there is no widespread "mysoginy" among gamers, heck you will be hard pressed to find any true mysoginists in there, because quite frankly... the millions upon millions of gamers dont really give a fuck... that goes for males aswell as females.

UberPubert

Jun 18, 2012
Adultratedhydra said:
Two main megaphones drowning out reasonable thought come to mind. One Starts with A and is a hand puppet and the other are people who believe all independant thought is deviant and must be purged.
People have been attributing bad behavior to gamers for a very long time, but some of the responses in this thread just smack of elitism and condescension that's highly unwarranted.

To me; these claims of toxicity in gaming are as unsubstantiated as the claims of gaming causing violence, and while I'll certainly join in at poking fun at certain communities (many of which I do or have belonged to), there's no reason anyone on the development team of the game should feel the need to address these claims on the news.

It's the people making these claims that should be called into question.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Many people in the Call of Duty community are pretty toxic, hateful, and homophobic. Rented Advanced Warfare and tried playing a couple of matches. Five minutes in and I already had to mute everyone in the game. The mute button, the only way I can play the MP in Call of Duty.

Adultratedhydra

Aug 19, 2010
UberPubert said:
Adultratedhydra said:
Two main megaphones drowning out reasonable thought come to mind. One Starts with A and is a hand puppet and the other are people who believe all independant thought is deviant and must be purged.
People have been attributing bad behavior to gamers for a very long time, but some of the responses in this thread just smack of elitism and condescension that's highly unwarranted.

To me; these claims of toxicity in gaming are as unsubstantiated as the claims of gaming causing violence, and while I'll certainly join in at poking fun at certain communities (many of which I do or have belonged to), there's no reason anyone on the development team of the game should feel the need to address these claims on the news.

It's the people making these claims that should be called into question.
No no you cant question the "Victims" you need to "Listen and believe" No matter what......Hang on a moment. I vomited in my mouth a little while typing that.

But yes. Too much is focused on the Toxicity rather than the people who keep saying there is toxicity.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
insaninater said:
I'd like to add to this that i personally think that the tiny percent that are toxic are most likely acting the way they act more out of attention-seeking or out of a desire to troll, or just basic sadism, not really out of any legitimate hatred of women. I think they'd shit-talk anything at all if they thought it would upset the people they're trying to upset. If that makes any sense.
I... don't think that makes it any better. Like it doesn't matter if Westboro Baptist legitimately believes that IEDs are god's judgement on US soldiers, or if they're just lawsuit-baiting. It's still putrid.

... at least most of the Christian right doesn't actively try to defend WBC. I mean, silence kinda sucks, but it's better than the backlash that a lot of gamers show whenever someone mentions our crazy fringe.

wAriot

Jan 18, 2013
UberPubert said:
My personal experience with Cod4 MW, World at War, Cod MW2, and Black Ops 1 is...silence. Most people I encountered didn't even have their mics plugged in as far as I could tell, much less insulting other people.
Yep, pretty much this. Probably has something to do with playing on PC only. It's quite likely that the demographics of console and PC gamers are... different, regarding politeness.