Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare Requires 130 GB of Disk Space

Ciartan

Sep 13, 2009
And thats one of the many reasons why console gaming is just dumb really.
Literally no reasons not to get a $400 PC instead.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Activisions new play to increase the amount of people playing their games is apparently to make it so that people can't install any other game besides CoD on their console. So you either delete CoD to play something else or you just play CoD. I wouldn't want to drop 130 GB and then maybe have to redownload it later in case I want to play it again.

Living_Brain

When in doubt, overclock
Feb 8, 2012
If the graphics aren't literally the second coming of Christ then it's not worth 130 GB of space. If this really was a bid to leave more processing power for the rendering rather than decompressing, this just shows how incredibly weak the consoles are.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
It's stuff like this that makes me feel justified about my constant bitching about internal space in modern consoles. Yes, I know that I can buy and external hard drive if it's that much of an issue but it really shouldn't have to come to that. It was annoying enough when the PS3 wouldn't let you play a game without first loading it onto the console but now this kind of thing is standard. What's even the point of console gaming anymore if you can't just put a game into a box and play it within seconds? More importantly though, what's the point of having a console if I have to take hours out of my day to uninstall several shiny games so that I can play one allegedly shinier version of a game that was already kinda shiny several years ago?

popa_qwerty

Dec 21, 2010
Arnoxthe1 said:
What the fuck is in there that requires 70 fucking GB a game? Seriously, the biggest thing on my computer by far is Skyrim at 13 GB.
That's Funny my Skyrim with mods take up 55.6gb that being said that is a lot luckily for me my I have a 6tb hard drive with 2.5tb free.

K.ur

Jul 31, 2013
So, how expensive is this in storeage? Current dollar per GB for HDD and SSD.

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
I only buy games digitally now so that i don't have to store them, the downside is i live in the UK, last year i got upgraded to 17mbit broadband which for me feels really fast but to the rest of the world is seemingly pathetic.
So, 9 hours for Forza Horizon 3, 12 hours for Gears 4, 19/20 hours for this... no thanks. Modern COD games get patches and DLC updates fairly regularly and if one were to occur during the download on Steam it would start from the beginning, this download and storage burden is enough of a put off to not bother, in all likelihood the COD4 remaster will be released by itself a little time after launch so while i wouldn't mind playing Infinite as well, that will be a much better package for me.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
K.ur said:
4 cents a gig currently using Amazon pricing for PS4s, with a cap at 3TB

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
...And to think that not that long ago a 12GB game was considered massive, something that would require your gaming library to needed a whopping 200GB of Hard Drive space.

Moore's law is a truly astounding thing.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Wow. Not only late to the game but also attempting to stir up a shit-storm over nothing. Great job. At least you're consistent.

Why is this surprising? Those 130 gigs comprise the campaign, the multiplayer, the Zombies mode, the campaign for the MW remaster, and the multiplayer for the MW remaster. All of which require standard and 4k texture resolutions, compressed and uncompressed audio, various language support, etc. That's a LOT of content, especially the 4k textures for what essentially amounts to five games.

Fuck's sake, people. Welcome to 2016. It's a wondrous place where cell phones are 'smart', cars drive themselves, and disc space costs somewhere between a whopping $0.019 per gigabyte and a mind-blowing $0.03 per gigabyte.

K.ur said:
See above. (minus the snark)

Basically, less than $2.

LTenhet

Jun 26, 2012
Saelune said:
Ya know, it is very interesting to find out where your lines are. I generally love Call of Duty, despite certain awful things. This memory thing is possibly what will keep me from getting the game. I guess it depends on pressure from friends.
The largest games I have are like 50 gb and even that's bothersome, I think I learned where my line is as well.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
There's just... a lot of warfare in this game.

Gig after gig of warfare.

A veritable shit-ton of warfare.

...Ah, console brethren. The manufacturers offer you 1 terabyte drives and act as though they're being generous. And then crap like this goes on. I am genuinely sorry.

It is my hope to upgrade my PC in the near future. And when I have more hard-disk space on board than I know what to do with... I am not putting COD:IW on it.

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
What in the actual fuck, are they just not even trying? Is this like Titanfall where every sound file is stored completely uncompressed because not wasting your user's HDD space is haaard?

Skyrim texmodded out the ass only takes up about 25 gigs or so, Crysis 3 packed it down to 28, and I doubt COD is going to get even close to *that* level of fidelity. Either they're storing all the cutscenes as BD-quality prerendered video, or they just stopped giving a shit. NOTHING in the COD series justifies its rapidly increasing file sizes.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Bindal said:
Isn't Black Ops 3 sitting at around 40GB total, with all DLCs?
Why the hell is this more than double on its own, TRIPLE with MW1R?
Probably audio files. You can complain about cod a lot but they include full audio for a lot of languages. I think most of the last few cod games space was taken up by audio. Its even worse now that multi maps have characters call out audio messages.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Worgen said:
Bindal said:
Isn't Black Ops 3 sitting at around 40GB total, with all DLCs?
Why the hell is this more than double on its own, TRIPLE with MW1R?
Probably audio files. You can complain about cod a lot but they include full audio for a lot of languages. I think most of the last few cod games space was taken up by audio. Its even worse now that multi maps have characters call out audio messages.
Audio files were the reason that Titanfall's size was 48GB. They made up 73% of its disk usage!

https://www.vg247.com/2014/03/11/titanfall-pcs-48gb-install-size-explained-by-respawn/ said:
Speaking with Eurogamer, Respawn?s lead engineer Richard Baker explained that 35GB of that total install size is to do with uncompressed audio.

JohnZ117

A blind man before the Elephant
Jun 19, 2012
Anyone care to guess how many days it will take to install this behemoth onto either consoles or the p.c. or how long it would take to load at start/between areas?
Or why Activision thinks a game this size would work on the consoles?

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Avnger said:
And the winner of the most pretentious post award goes to you!
First, glad to see your first response is an insult. Very classy.

Second, http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pretentious. Me thinks you'll need to find a different pejorative. "Pretentious" makes no sense in this context. Like....at all.[footnote]Seriously? Pretentious? That's just a baffling use of the term here. Holy shit.[/footnote]

Those who buy the game on consoles have to install too. The default storage for a PS4 is only 500GB, and it's impossible to use multiple at the same time. Upgrading requires replacing the thing and transferring data.
Right, which is an inherent problem of the consoles, and not something I'm being "pretentious" about when I point out how absurd it is.

Me pointing out the low price per gigabyte of disc space isn't a slight against the users. It was squarely pointed at the companies that overcharge for that space. (see: Microsoft, Sony, etc)

Also, try $8.12 for storage for just this game on a compatible drive for the PS4. That's the price for 7.5% of the cheapest 2TB 2.5mm SATA 2 5400rpm drive on Amazon.
You clearly can do some math and did some limited searching of online retailer prices for hard drives, but you don't seem to fully understand what my previous post entailed. The price per gigabyte is based on the baseline storage capacity and does not take into account retailer price inflation, added cost from the inclusion of extra features on the drive (like disc read/write speeds, cache, etc).

Here are some of the sources I used -
http://www.statisticbrain.com/average-cost-of-hard-drive-storage/
https://pcpartpicker.com/trends/internal-hard-drive/

So while it's good to see that you can use Amazon.com to find hard drives, you're just demonstrably wrong about your price.

Some people don't live in a world where tossing another $124 (for that drive) is an easy thing to do at the drop of a hat.
And did I say that should be the case? No, I didn't. I only said 130 gigs is a 'drop in the bucket' when it comes to disc space today, both in terms of capacity and cost. Again, it's not my fault the consoles are technologically neutered. If someone chose to play on one of those consoles[footnote]And for the record, I currently own a PS4. In fact, from as far back as I can remember, I have owned at least two consoles from every generation of consoles. So...inb4 'PC elitist'.[/footnote] then that person must accept the console's limitations.

The cost of space means nothing for developers not doing part of their job.
That's incredibly presumptive of you. How do you know they haven't done 'part of their job'?

When your game takes up more than a fifth of the total storage capacity that comes baked into a basic PS4, you're doing something wrong.
Again, that's very presumptive. The game features what effectively amounts to five games. Three, if we're being picky. (we'll go with 3 from here on out). And that means that there is three games worth of content in there, which puts each at just over 40 gigs. Each of those 40 gigs includes all of the core content on the game, estimates for early patches, updates, and DLC, it includes standard, HD, and 4K textures, compressed and uncompressed audio, some of which will included numerous languages, etc.

Put simply, it all adds up.

But let's not forget what was actually said in Activision's post on the matter.
"The estimated storage space required for Call of Duty?: Infinite Warfare and Call of Duty?: Modern Warfare Remastered (Legacy, Digital Deluxe, or Legacy Pro) is a combined 130 GB. This is a high-end estimate."

So the games may, in fact, not take up 130 gigs.

Besides, of all the people complaining about the space requirements around here, who among them were actually considering buying the game beforehand? Given how much energy this community expends hating on the series, I assume very few. Which would mean we have a bunch of people complaining about a game they had no interest in to begin with.

Fantastic. I love this community.

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
Vigormortis said:
Wow. Not only late to the game but also attempting to stir up a shit-storm over nothing. Great job. At least you're consistent.

Why is this surprising? Those 130 gigs comprise the campaign, the multiplayer, the Zombies mode, the campaign for the MW remaster, and the multiplayer for the MW remaster. All of which require standard and 4k texture resolutions, compressed and uncompressed audio, various language support, etc. That's a LOT of content, especially the 4k textures for what essentially amounts to five games.

Fuck's sake, people. Welcome to 2016. It's a wondrous place where cell phones are 'smart', cars drive themselves, and disc space costs somewhere between a whopping $0.019 per gigabyte and a mind-blowing $0.03 per gigabyte.

K.ur said:
See above. (minus the snark)

Basically, less than $2.
While the amount of space involved is very easy to explain, given the sheer breadth of content the CoD games provide, one also cannot deny that that is an absolutely incredible amount of space for a game, pre-any DLC that'll come out.

Storage may be cheap, but many ISPs like to throw around caps or bandwidth limitations making downloading the game a challenge - heck, in the US, Comcast is actually trying to introduce datacaps in a bunch of cities right now.

So the amount isn't all that unreasonable, but holy crap that's still quite a lot of data