Call of Duty to get WoW-Like Subscriptions?

Tony Harrison

Jan 28, 2008
Can't say I'm shocked. I'd like to say that people aren't stupid enough to make this a success, but I've been wrong with that assumption too many times.

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
Oh boy! Activision is seeking to exploit gamers once again! I can't wait!

Death to Activision!

rated pg

Aug 21, 2008
Well hopefully the Modern Warfare 3 boycott goes better then if Activision doesn't give their collective heads a shake and realize this is a terrible idea. At least with WoW you actually get something for your money. Unless he is simply talking about map packs and DLC?

Slycne said:
fix-the-spade said:
As much as I dislike piracy it would be incredibly awesome for Activision's sales to flatline under the poison of a million torrents...
Or even better if millions of dollars were spent on competitors games. Piracy just tells them it's still popular and they just need to figure out how to further discourage it usually at the expense of legal consumers. You're not sending the message you think you are.
Agreed. Really, pirating the game is telling them that a pay to play system is the ONLY way to go because its the only way to guarantee revenue (unless you have a private server system like the ones that have sprung up for WoW, but they get shut down regularly and are very laggy). The best way to send them a message is just not buy their product at all.

aarontg

Aug 10, 2009
I cant help but see that happening, the multiplayer is so damn popular they can easily get players by promising updates often

Flour

Mar 20, 2008
GodsClown said:
Except that gamers have shown that they will accept just about every shit deal Activision can think of.
Prices get raised and it still becomes the best selling game ever released. There's a very high chance that next month DLC will be released to "finish" the single player. And, well, I can't blame them for doing this since people have shown that they're willing to pay for anything at this point.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
That's pretty crazy. I mean I don't think anybody likes CoD that much. It is close to madness when you consider that there are a lot of other FPSs in the market that do not require a subscription.

I think even WoW would have a hard time if it was the only MMO to have subscriptions. It only survives because all of the other MMOs are playing by the same rules (except Guild Wars of course).

syndicated44

Apr 25, 2009
I am not for the life of me going to play multiplayer on a handful of maps with people I dont like. You pay for MMOs because thats the entire game. You have constant updates and you get random extra goodies now and again because your paying for that huge fee. With an fps like this you just dont have enough there unless you are planning to release huge amounts of maps with a large variety of vehicles and turn it into a completely different game. I havnt played MW2 so I could be horribly mistaken but seriously their a bunch of money grubbing devils and from their evil it will be easier for other companies to do the same thing.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Gaaaaaaah.

Clearly he doesn't play games or he'd know that CoD is in no way similar to an MMO. Besides, people may be silly enough to just pay for Live without question, but I doubt they'd ever pay two fees, no matter the game. Actually, I doubt most would pay the extra fee. Some people are just born stupid.

What a fucking dipshit, when are they going to get gamers to actually manage that company?

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
I called ths the other day - same article too

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.155402#3791073

Go me!

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
When games start charging like WoW for online shit is the day I stop playing online games. I'm not paying more for a game I already paid for.

Jaqen Hghar

Feb 11, 2009
Emphraim said:
If they do make COD online into a subscription based service, then people will just move back to COD5. The COD5 community is still quite large and vibrant with plenty of servers still running, so why would I pay for what I can get for free?
I am not sure if COD5 is the same as MW2, but I guess it is. If it's not, then ignore what I say here :p

You see, when they release the next CoD where you have to pay for online, you cannot go back to MW2 and play that online. Why? Every server in that game is run by IW through IWNet. Which means they can cut of the online part of that game as soon as the new one hits the shelves. Of course, that would be the biggest dick move in the history of dick moves. Would Activision make that happen? Seeing how they have done so far, I'll say... hell yeah.
I have said it before, and I'll say it again. IW/Activision will not get money from me ever again. Bunch of wankers all of them.

Chaossebba

Aug 11, 2008
Oh fucking hell no. the difference with WoW is that you keep getting updates and extra content for your 10 bucks a month. What the hell could you add in CoD which is of the sort? Maps? More freaking guns?

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
i heard about this a few days ago, and if that happens, IW, Activision and Treyarch can go drown in Styx while i dry-hump Bad Company 2.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
Jaqen Hghar said:
Emphraim said:
If they do make COD online into a subscription based service, then people will just move back to COD5. The COD5 community is still quite large and vibrant with plenty of servers still running, so why would I pay for what I can get for free?
I am not sure if COD5 is the same as MW2, but I guess it is. If it's not, then ignore what I say here :p

You see, when they release the next CoD where you have to pay for online, you cannot go back to MW2 and play that online. Why? Every server in that game is run by IW through IWNet. Which means they can cut of the online part of that game as soon as the new one hits the shelves. Of course, that would be the biggest dick move in the history of dick moves. Would Activision make that happen? Seeing how they have done so far, I'll say... hell yeah.
EA does that every year when the new Madden comes out, so that would probably happen.

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
*cough* Money grabbing *cough*
I hope this destroys the game's popularity and blows up in the developer's face.

I don't like COD so this won't immediately effect me but if it's successful and other companies follow suit...

KaiRai

Jun 2, 2008
GamingAwesome1 said:
They better fucking not, we pay for the online anyway (Xbox owners only this applies to) and having to pay two companies for one service, that's bullshit.

Also "there is a demand from core gamers to pay up for that". What? People want to pay to have subscription fees? If there are people like that they need to have their wallets shoved up their ass!
Not just their wallets good sir, I can think of several foreign objects that could go up there.

OT: What the fuck is with Activision? Have they just been living off Hitler-in-a-can for the past 4 months?