Can a game be too long?

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Wondermint13 said:
GeorgW said:
Wondermint13 said:
Hm...
Like many RPGs a game can be long because it expects you to level your parties to a certain standard and thats why your total play time ends up being 50-72 hours. But thats practically 90% of the gameplay when it comes to that sort of game.
50-72 hours?? I won't play a portable RPG if I won't get at least over 100 hours from it! But I take my time and like to explore.
Sorry Hypno Frog, I was simply appealing to the casual gamers. I think my old FF7 file still holds about 114 hours now.
114 is nothing, damn it!!
And it's Hypnotoad, damn it!!!
ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD, DAMN IT!!!

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
Only if it really drags things out. I remember someone telling me once that Halo (the original) was too long of a game and it took him months to finish. Obviously that's a bull shit claim, but whatever.

Wondermint13

Oct 2, 2010
GeorgW said:
Wondermint13 said:
GeorgW said:
Wondermint13 said:
Hm...
Like many RPGs a game can be long because it expects you to level your parties to a certain standard and thats why your total play time ends up being 50-72 hours. But thats practically 90% of the gameplay when it comes to that sort of game.
50-72 hours?? I won't play a portable RPG if I won't get at least over 100 hours from it! But I take my time and like to explore.
Sorry Hypno Frog, I was simply appealing to the casual gamers. I think my old FF7 file still holds about 114 hours now.
..Now what makes that a toad?

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Wondermint13 said:
GeorgW said:
Wondermint13 said:
GeorgW said:
Wondermint13 said:
Hm...
The hypnosis. Now obey it!!

Wondermint13

Oct 2, 2010
GeorgW said:
Wondermint13 said:
GeorgW said:
Wondermint13 said:
GeorgW said:
Wondermint13 said:
Hm...
The hypnosis. Now obey it!!
Fine... Go Hypnotoad!! Whoot!!

BlueSinbad

Oct 18, 2010
If it's not suited to a long gametime like an FPS etc, I'd give anything to have a never ending(ish) JRPG like Final Fantasy :p

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
zega frega omega said:
A game can be any length as long as the story keeps being engaging and the gameplay doesn't feel dull. It becomes quite a challenge to keep any game interesting past 50 hours, but it can be done.

Mike Laserbeam

Dec 10, 2010
Haven't read many of the posts before this but, I find a TON of games to be too long.
If it's boring, it's too long :p
If I'm mildly interested in the story but I have to drag myself through hours of terrible gameplay between any plot advancement, it's too long.
If a game only starts to get good 20 hours in, that shit's too long! (I'm looking at YOU FFXIII!)
Even with a really fun game, if it doesn't pull itself together and pay out some interesting plot sooner or later, it'll get old, so it's too long.

I often don't actually get annoyed at games being too short, because in my eyes a truly brilliant game will deliver as much as it can, in as short time as possible. That's not to say I hate games that are long, just that they need to consistently be fun!

Edit: Modern FPS campaigns? TOO DAMN LONG! I'm not kidding! I know they're usually only 10 hours or so, but they're boring as hell! I couldn't sit through more that 2 levels of the new Medal of Honor without getting incredibly bored of how repetitive it was, and thinking "This level is really dragging on..."

Connor2224

Feb 21, 2011
in short yes in long yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Yarpie

Jun 24, 2010
Yes they can, but the "too long mark" varies depending on how interesting the gameplay and the story is. For example, I did not finish Lost Odyssey because I simply could not be arsed to climb another god damn tower. I had done it several times already, and every time it became anticlimactic. I know I was very close to the end, but frankly I felt no incentive to continue.

Same thing with Tales of Vesperia. Loved the game up to a certain point, but after I had gone though what felt like a final dungeon and defeated what seemed like a final boss, only to have the game continue, I lost all interest.

Finally, I had a similar problem with Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2. When I got to the final area and the game begun throwing bosses at me that I had already beaten, I felt like I was knee deep in fluff. I finished the game, but I really didn't enjoy the final section, nor the final boss.

flakmagnet

Jan 26, 2011
The only time a game gets too long for me is when I've not completed the story but I no longer want to. Personal opinions are MGS4, Fallout: New Vegas, and Fable III.

velcrokidneyz

Sep 28, 2010
PeePantz said:
Phlakes said:
PeePantz said:
For as much fun as it is, I would say Just Cause 2 is a little too long. If not long, then big. Way too massive. I believe I've played about 50 hours without even scratching the surface.
TOO big? I think it's perfect. It's really the only recent console game that gives you that sense of scale.
I have gaming OCD and try to cover every square inch. When it feels like I haven't progressed at all after fifty hours, I get slightly irritated. I love the size, but do to how I am, I feel it's a little too big. I know that's what makes the game fantastic, and I agree, but it makes me a little overwhelmed.
I am the same way, i like to see everything and do most everything in one playthrough. i usually do multiple for diff factions ie. fallout new vegas, but i get overwhelmed easy by large maps like that

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Aylaine said:
zega frega omega said:
I don't think I've ever heard someone complain about a game being too long. Too short, god yes, but never too long. (A bit like penis.) So, tell us in your honest opinion, what game(s) would you consider too long?

I personally think a game that is too long would be one with long stretches of game play between story.
Certainly. Though I honestly believe if it keeps things fresh and interesting, the length makes little difference. But if it drags on & on without anything new or exciting, it can feel like a drag. :x
Well I do assume it can feel like a drag when a game drags on. haha... Bad joke...

Pretty much as I mentioned. Short games can feel like they take forever to beat, and then some games sap DAYS of your time and feel fresh