Can Americans Make Anime?

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
Personally, I find 'anime' is a label people often use to avoid saying that they are watching 'cartoons'.

Myself included, until a couple years ago.

Wesley Brannock

Sep 7, 2010
Carlos Storm said:
Chris O said:
I've watched Avatar and Legend of Korra

Short answer: Yes

TRUE ANIME IS MADE IN JAPAN. Funimation which is an AMERICAN COMPANY that most of the time translate TRUE ANIME into english for an American audience. However they somehow got it into their head to make Mass Effect: Paragon Lost (movie) was a good idea to make well just watch the trailer to see if an american company can make a " decent " I'll wait.

Yep I know it sucked but you know why. It's not because it's based on a game it's because it's AMERICAN MADE two last example's.

Yep they both sucked too you know why ? IT'S AMERICAN MADE. We American's can COPY the style but not the CULTURE.

lockgar

Nov 5, 2008
rhodo said:
I'm a major in Japanese language and culture.

So, here's my short answer: no.

Western people can copy anime. They can't, and they never will, make anime. End of story.

Anime isn't about the big eyes, the fancy hair, the crazy poses, or such. Anime is about culture. Not once in my life I saw a pseudo-anime made by Western people and was fooled into thinking it was really Japanese.

Which is ok, because if we really were able to make anime, we'd be Japanese.
You see, this is the real problem. For what ever reason, people have fooled themselves that the need to make labels for different types of animation simply based on its origin. This I find is cultured backwards in every way. Do we name different type of animation because they are from Canada, France, China, America, ect... No, but when its from Japan, WE CALL IT ANIME.

Now I am ok with categorizing for the sake of categorizing, but what I mean its backwards are the the fans who some how feel simply that because it is from Japan, it is Superior and it can't do any wrong. Then watch episodes of Bleach. The type that watch in subtitles not because the dub did an awful job, since all dubs in their eyes are awful for not getting the "true meaning" of the two guys powering up and explaining why their moves failed. Note that most directors of anime would actually prefer you watch it as a dub because they never intended anyone to READ their movie. Lets not even get started that for all that culture talk, they know next to nothing about the actual culture of Japan.

As one anecdote I heard, "Critics like the movie until the found it it wasn't European.".

Sp00n13

Feb 18, 2010
I thought we did try once. Exosquad. I thought it was the greatest cartoon I had ever watched when I was little. I still enjoy it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exosquad

Dissentient

Aug 19, 2011
Anime can only be Japanese because you can't create an anime outside of Japanese culture or without Japanese language. It would just be wrong. It would never feel like anime to a person who watched anime before. You can only copy visuals and tropes, you can't make it feel like something Japanese without Japanese making it.
I have nothing against western countries copying anime, I don't want anyone calling it anime.

You see, this is the real problem. For what ever reason, people have fooled themselves that the need to make labels for different types of animation simply based on its origin. This I find is cultured backwards in every way. Do we name different type of animation because they are from Canada, France, China, America, ect... No, but when its from Japan, WE CALL IT ANIME.
This is not a problem. When its from Japan, it's called differently because it's in fact different from cartoons in all other countries. I can't tell if a cartoon is made in Canada or France but I can always tell if it's Japanese.

Now I am ok with categorizing for the sake of categorizing, but what I mean its backwards are the the fans who some how feel simply that because it is from Japan, it is Superior and it can't do any wrong. Then watch episodes of Bleach. The type that watch in subtitles not because the dub did an awful job, since all dubs in their eyes are awful for not getting the "true meaning" of the two guys powering up and explaining why their moves failed. Note that most directors of anime would actually prefer you watch it as a dub because they never intended anyone to READ their movie. Lets not even get started that for all that culture talk, they know next to nothing about the actual culture of Japan.
I would never watch an anime with dub. Because it just feels and sounds wrong in 95% of anime. Exceptions are rare, for example Cowboy Bebop.
Also, western voice actors just don't have right voices for anime if it's possible to make a dub that doesn't feel wrong at all.
And you know, when you are used to them, subtitles don't affect perception of a show at all. You just don't notice them.

lockgar

Nov 5, 2008
Sp00n13 said:
I thought we did try once. Exosquad. I thought it was the greatest cartoon I had ever watched when I was little. I still enjoy it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exosquad
Love that series.

Wait, are you implying that series that attempted to do "mature and dark" themes are attempts to do anime.....

Welp, I guess all comic books super heroes are just ripping off manga now. You too Pulp fictions, clearly you where ripping off the Japanese the entire time.....

gameoni

Jun 9, 2010
There is so much I could rant about this point.... But I'm not going to go there. But I will say this when it come the the labeling of "ANIME". It has been called many thing over the years from " Foreign Cartoons" or just foreige to " J-anime , Japainimation, J-toons" and many more. Yet in the same way we don't refer to the early japanese animation work of Osamu Tezuka as american cartoons becuase he was heavily influenced by Wailt Disney "ANIME" influenced works are not representives of japan. Plus most "AMERICAN CARTOONS" are made in Canada or Korrea.

P.S. if you want to make your head spin on major liquor ragulation look up what it takes to be called a cognac.

lockgar

Nov 5, 2008
Wesley Brannock said:
Carlos Storm said:
Chris O said:

TRUE ANIME IS MADE IN JAPAN. Funimation which is an AMERICAN COMPANY that most of the time translate TRUE ANIME into english for an American audience....

Yep they both sucked too you know why ? IT'S AMERICAN MADE. We American's can COPY the style but not the CULTURE.
Animatrixs made by Japanese animation studios, Americans where copying anime, despite not making the film.

"Critics like the movie until the found it it wasn't European.".

You see this is what I mean, the complete amount of bullshit anime fans will fill themselves with in order to make anime "superior".

Dissentient

Aug 19, 2011
lockgar said:
Animatrixs made by Japanese animation studios, Americans copied it, despite not making it.

You see this is what I mean, the complete amount of bullshit anime fans will fill themselves with in order to make anime "superior".
Why do you think we care about it being superior? Originals will always be superior to copies, if Americans want to make something better, they should do what they do best, not copy someone.
We don't want anime-influenced cartoons to be called anime because they don't fit our definition of anime.

The_Critic

Aug 22, 2011
synobal said:
Meh I don't think Anime is a label that should be strived for. In my opinion there is very little good anime.
YOU SIR are incorrect. There is a lot of good anime just a lot more bad anime.

Death Note
Code Geass
Fairy Tail
One Piece
Naruto
Naruto Shippuden
Bleach
GTO
Kenshin
World Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Black Lagoon
Baccano!
Etc. Etc.

Alterego-X

Nov 22, 2009
lockgar said:

As one anecdote I heard, "Critics like the movie until the found it it wasn't European.".
You speak like a true otaku.

Dissentient

Aug 19, 2011
The_Critic said:
synobal said:
Meh I don't think Anime is a label that should be strived for. In my opinion there is very little good anime.
YOU SIR are incorrect. There is a lot of good anime just a lot more bad anime.

Death Note
Code Geass
Fairy Tail
One Piece
Naruto
Naruto Shippuden
Bleach
GTO
Kenshin
World Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Black Lagoon
Baccano!
Etc. Etc.
From your list I would only call good 3.5 out of 12 (Death Note counts as 0.5).
Please, don't post a list of what you like to prove your point.

Wesley Brannock

Sep 7, 2010
lockgar said:
Wesley Brannock said:
Carlos Storm said:
Chris O said:

TRUE ANIME IS MADE IN JAPAN. Funimation which is an AMERICAN COMPANY that most of the time translate TRUE ANIME into english for an American audience....

Animatrixs made by Japanese animation studios, Americans where copying anime, despite not making the film.

I'm not wrong the animatrix WAS MADE BY AMERICANS I've rented the dvd's and seen the BEHIND THE SCENES it was made by americans. I'm not feeling superior I'm just laughing at the notion that we can successfully copy anime and have it be well made. Yes Americans can copy it but only VERY VERY BADLY. I will not respond to any more childish retorts by of this caliber

laserpants

Sep 26, 2010
>Can Americans Make Anime?
I am sorry if this sounded racist, but that is like asking the question can a pair of white europian couple give birth to an brown Indian baby? Let me give you a hint: the word starts with the letter "N" and there are only two letters in the word, and the word ends with the letter "O". Now please figure it out.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
I definitely have to agree with the writer about the homogenization of anime. It can be such a pain trying to find a new series to start, when I can't find a source online or in bookstores that categorizes the material. Whenever I see a name I haven't heard before, I can't tell if I'm about to look into a shonen action series, a yaoi romance, an ultra violent horror series, or an embarrassingly sexualized ecci series, until I've at least read the first volume. It doesn't help that I don't know Japanese.

Dissentient

Aug 19, 2011
sageoftruth said:
I definitely have to agree with the writer about the homogenization of anime. It can be such a pain trying to find a new series to start, when I can't find a source online or in bookstores that categorizes the material. Whenever I see a name I haven't heard before, I can't tell if I'm about to look into a shonen action series, a yaoi romance, an ultra violent horror series, or an embarrassingly sexualized ecci series, until I've at least read the first volume. It doesn't help that I don't know Japanese.
For me season lists and myanimelist top are enough to find new titles to watch. Although I agree that it's hard to find where to look for something to watch and where to download it on your own. I somehow managed though.