Can Americans Make Anime?

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
The_Critic said:
synobal said:
Meh I don't think Anime is a label that should be strived for. In my opinion there is very little good anime.
YOU SIR are incorrect. There is a lot of good anime just a lot more bad anime.

Death Note
Code Geass
Fairy Tail
One Piece
Naruto
Naruto Shippuden
Bleach
GTO
Kenshin
World Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Black Lagoon
Baccano!
Etc. Etc.
Ya I wouldn't consider any of those good Anime. Then again it is very hard for me to like any sort of anime.

Dissentient

Aug 19, 2011
animehermit said:
Dissentient said:
>posting lists and discussing tastes again
Please no.
>trying to greentext
>this isn't 4chan

Please no.
Greentext isn't a sin unlike discussing tastes in anime-related discussion on non anime-related site.

synobal said:
Ya I wouldn't consider any of those good Anime. Then again it is very hard for me to like any sort of anime.
You are not trying hard enough.

Alterego-X

Nov 22, 2009
synobal said:
The_Critic said:
synobal said:
Meh I don't think Anime is a label that should be strived for. In my opinion there is very little good anime.

Death Note
Code Geass
Fairy Tail
One Piece
Naruto
Naruto Shippuden
Bleach
GTO
Kenshin
Black Lagoon
Baccano!
Etc. Etc.
I have seen 131 different anime series, but I only watched 3 of these.

You must be pretty well-informed for someone who doesn't like anime, to be familiar with all of them.

Anyways, my top list:

Suzumiya Haruhi
FLCL
Death Note
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Lovely Complex
Steins;Gate
Baccano
Spice and Wolf
Clannad
Rocket Girls
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
Nazo no Kanojo X
Azumanga Daioh
Nichijou

Alterego-X

Nov 22, 2009
Dissentient said:
Alterego-X said:
Nazo no Kanojo X
I see what you did there.
Well, it's not a public opinion list, but things that I like. Fuck the public. You might also notice Rocket Girls, and Lovely Complex on the list, that are also not generally recognized classics.

Dissentient

Aug 19, 2011
Alterego-X said:
Well, it's not a public opinion list, but things that I like. Fuck the public. You might also notice Rocket Girls, and Lovely Complex on the list, that are also not generally recognized classics.
I don't care about public opinion on tastes, it's just that I can't imagine what was going on inside your head while you were watching it so that it made inside your top list.

Surprisingly, almost all of my favorites [http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Dissentient&show=0&order=4] are in top 100.

Alterego-X

Nov 22, 2009
Dissentient said:
Alterego-X said:
I don't care about public opinion on tastes, it's just that I can't imagine what was going on inside your head while you were watching it so that it made inside your top list.
It has an interesting take on abstinence and teenage relationships that's not all that common in anime, or anywhere else for that matter. Also, nice music.

The Human Torch

Sep 12, 2010
Tony2077 said:
Let me say that you are indeed nitpicking. I was making a very broad statement AND YES, OF COURSE THERE ARE SHOWS THAT ARE EXCEPTIONS TO THE RULE. Christ, I knew that as soon as I made my original post, someone would jump on it...there are debates that you don't want to be a part of.

I already narrowed my "Topics To Avoid List" to: religion, MLP: Friendship is Magic, pedophilia and rape. I will add 'anime' to that list. In the meantime I will finish watching One Piece.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
Wesley Brannock said:
Carlos Storm said:
Chris O said:
I've watched Avatar and Legend of Korra

Short answer: Yes
TRUE ANIME IS MADE IN JAPAN. Funimation which is an AMERICAN COMPANY that most of the time translate TRUE ANIME into english for an American audience. However they somehow got it into their head to make Mass Effect: Paragon Lost (movie) was a good idea to make well just watch the trailer to see if an american company can make a " decent " I'll wait.
Yep I know it sucked but you know why. It's not because it's based on a game it's because it's AMERICAN MADE two last example's.

Yep they both sucked too you know why ? IT'S AMERICAN MADE. We American's can COPY the style but not the CULTURE.
What are you on about? The shows are bad because it's Americans copying the anime style? No, the shows are bad because they're bad. End of story. Americans can clearly emulate the anime style and create a quality product from it. Will it feel just like anime? Probably not. That has nothing to do with the show being GOOD.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Anime in Japan is geared towards a fairly large group. Much larger than the cartoon range in the U.S.
Also not true. What audience is Futurama geared towards? Or what about the stuff on adult Swim? Or the adult jokes that were everywhere in Animaniacs?

And "geared to" one demographic doesn't mean enjoyed by an older or younger one, if My Little Pony is any indication.

Sahasrala88

Jul 4, 2011
The writer of this article had the definition right early on. The term "anime" refers only to animation created by a Japanese animation team, produced in Japan, and developed for a Japanese audience. It describes the work's geographic origin. You shouldn't be classifying Korra as part of the anime genre because "anime" itself isn't a genre.

Korra and Avatar aren't anime, because they weren't made by and for Japan. That does not make them bad shows and it doesn't lessen their legitimacy as great works of fiction. The shows certainly take a lot of inspiration from Japanese shows, in particular the Shonen genre in anime. Anime itself is not a genre, so even calling something a "western anime" or an "American anime" doesn't really work. Japanese animation has a wide variety of genres. You have westerns, sci-fi, horror, mystery, action, and even sports. "Anime" is simply a term to use to identify it's country of origin.

The way I see it, a good show or movie is a good show or movie. It doesn't matter what country it came from or what art style it uses. I enjoy shows like Avatar and Korra just as much as I enjoy Full Metal Alchemist, Cowboy Bebop, and FLCL. We don't need to validate shows by saying that they are "Western-anime", and therefore somehow better than other western animation. The shows should be judged by their own merits or lack there of. At least that's my opinion.

The Deadpool

Dec 28, 2007
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
No. Do you think Elfen Lied or Cowboy Bebop are intended for little kids?
Cowboy BeBop was actually not that popular in Japan... And besides, adult cartoons exists on BOTH cultures. By and large, cartoons are still made for kids. One Piece, Bleach, Naruto... three biggest anime? All kids cartoons.

Which is amusing, since the most popular cartoons in America are the Simpsons, Family Guy and South Park, neither of which have really been geared at kids in a while (South Park used to be, but not so much now), and yet anime are somehow known as "more mature".

No medium is childish or mature. For every Citizen Kaine there's an Air Bud. For every Pride and Prejudice there's a HI! Fly Guy! It's silly to denounce a whole medium as adult or childish.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
The Human Torch said:
Tony2077 said:
Let me say that you are indeed nitpicking. I was making a very broad statement AND YES, OF COURSE THERE ARE SHOWS THAT ARE EXCEPTIONS TO THE RULE. Christ, I knew that as soon as I made my original post, someone would jump on it...there are debates that you don't want to be a part of.

I already narrowed my "Topics To Avoid List" to: religion, MLP: Friendship is Magic, pedophilia and rape. I will add 'anime' to that list. In the meantime I will finish watching One Piece.
i wasn't nitpicking i was just saying when there is enough of something generalize can't be helped from time to time

The_Critic

Aug 22, 2011
Wesley Brannock said:
lockgar said:
Wesley Brannock said:
Carlos Storm said:
Chris O said:
I've watched Avatar and Legend of Korra

Short answer: Yes

TRUE ANIME IS MADE IN JAPAN. Funimation which is an AMERICAN COMPANY that most of the time translate TRUE ANIME into english for an American audience....

Yep they both sucked too you know why ? IT'S AMERICAN MADE. We American's can COPY the style but not the CULTURE.
Animatrixs made by Japanese animation studios, Americans where copying anime, despite not making the film.

"Critics like the movie until the found it it wasn't European.".

You see this is what I mean, the complete amount of bullshit anime fans will fill themselves with in order to make anime "superior".
I'm not wrong the animatrix WAS MADE BY AMERICANS I've rented the dvd's and seen the BEHIND THE SCENES it was made by americans. I'm not feeling superior I'm just laughing at the notion that we can successfully copy anime and have it be well made. Yes Americans can copy it but only VERY VERY BADLY. I will not respond to any more childish retorts by of this caliber
Dissentient said:
The_Critic said:
synobal said:

Death Note
Code Geass
Fairy Tail
One Piece
Naruto
Naruto Shippuden
Bleach
GTO
Kenshin
Black Lagoon
Baccano!
Etc. Etc.
From your list I would only call good 3.5 out of 12 (Death Note counts as 0.5).
Please, don't post a list of what you like to prove your point.
I'm not posting a list of what I like, these are widely considered some of the most popular animes out there, and some of the best.

And for whoever said Naruto and Shippuden are the same. I suppose technically they are the same but the writer found it necessary to separate them and so I separated them also.

And for people who say what is on my list isn't good anime. I believe "good" is a matter of opinion, and frankly I don't give a fuck what your opinion is, I stated mine and thats that.

The Deadpool

Dec 28, 2007
Wesley Brannock said:
[I'm not wrong the animatrix WAS MADE BY AMERICANS
Final Flight of the Osiris and Kid's Story were made by the Wachowski Brothes.

Both parts of The Second Renaissance were written and directed by Mahiro Maeda, who helped animate Castle In the Sky and Porco Rosso and directed Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo and even designed the Angels from Evangelion.

Program was written and directed by Yoshiaki Kawajiri, the creator of Ninja Scroll and Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust.

World Record was created by Madhouse involved in Trigun and Death Note.

Beyond was by Koji Morimoto, who didn't do much of note (he did direct the concert scenes from Macross Plus apparently).

Detective's Story is by Shinchiro Watanabe, of Cowboy BeBop fame (and Samurai Champloo, and Eureka 7)

Matriculaed was done by Peter Chung, which is admittedly Korean American.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Of course Last Airbender and Legend of Korra count as anime! I see cosplayers dressing up as those characters every year at FanimeCon. But I agree with Chris here, a work's place of origin or home platform shouldn't hamper which genre it belongs to.