Can Americans Make Anime?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
And here I'd thought the definition of Anime was that it was short for Japanimation, which is animation from Japan.

So can Americans make anime? No. Can they copy it? Avatar proves they can at least try. Personally I thought it was crap, but that's just me. You can still tell it's American animation, the animators of Avatar managed to make things look asian, but not anime-ish.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
Missing SHODAN said:
Rack said:
In theory yes. In practise, no. So far American companies have managed to copy the very basic stylistic components of Japanese Anime, but haven't got anywhere in emulating the deeper themes and cultural impact. Western anime, as opposed to the better Western Animation just comes across as feeling soulless. A good American Animation might take on themes and elements from Japanese Anime but it will retain its own distinct style. The world isn't so homogeneous yet that you can wholly transfer an art form from place to place.
Oh yes, I remember the first time I ran into "Legend of the Overfiend," I had to adjust my top hat and monocle in order to maximally ponder the deep themes and cultural impact.

The animated ladies involved certainly experienced some deep themes, if you know what I mean, and they seemed to be getting impacted in quite the cultural fashion.

...seriously, Last Airbender is a pretty good show, and there's plenty of terrible anime that is objectively worse than it.
The pedant in me wants to point out Legend of the Overfiend is just a random episode in a series, but that isn't really the point. It's not enough to be better than the bad stuff, you have to be as good as the good stuff, otherwise why bother? Airbender is alright, but it's hollow. It doesn't know what it wants to be, other than like that thing that made a ton of money. Plenty of Japanese Anime will fall into this category too but it;'s still not where the target is.

Alterego-X

Nov 22, 2009
There is a reason why people keep arguing about this seemingly semantic difference.

To anyone who watched more anime than a handful of shonen fighters, the writer's premise, that anime is an art style, and a specific type of plot, is clueless at best and offensive at worst.

Cluelessness is acceptable, it's just like grandma calling the PSP "a nintendo". She just doesn't pay attention to details, so she calls everything that is held in hands like a gameboy "a nintendo". Likewise, some people don't pay attention to the genres of anime, just see a few minutes of Naruto, and assume that Avatar must be the same thing.

But continuing to ARGUE that the anime fans are the ones who got it wrong, and making up theories about their snobbery, or whatever, instead of just accepting that anime fans know more about what is and isn't anime than random people, is arrogance.

It's a bit like telling to console gamers Diablo III should be called a console game, because it's so simple that even if it's technically released on the PC, it's much more similar to console games.

It wouldn't just incredibly dismissive against console gaming (assuming that all PC games are inherently more complex than them BY DEFINITION), reducing it to crude stereotypes, but also inaccurate.

The article author's claimed goal is just laughable, he is trying to save anime fans from "narrowing down" their medium, while his own understanding of the medium is ridiculously narrow. He would add Avatar to his definition of anime, while at the same time, exclude Baccano, Usagi Drop, Haruhi, Welcome to the NHK!, Kimi ni Todoke, Nichijou, School Days, and Bakemonogatari from it.

It's a bit like warning a frenchman to the dangers of French couisine, on the account that humans need other nutriments than frog meat, so recommend them to eat more hamburgers:
you are not helping, your own stereotypes are creating the problems that you are trying to solve.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
So, we're considering Samurai jack, Star Wars: Clone Wars, and the Powerpuff Girls anime now? Because if that's the case, then I'd like to say that the only animes I've ever liked have been the non-japanese ones. I'd even add Avatar to the list. So I think that these shows either have something or are missing something, and that makes them something altogether different from japanese anime. Maybe we can just call it Ameri-me, or Westime or something like that, an the determining factor is if I like it or not.

ArchAngelKira

Mar 25, 2010
I say yes because stuff like "megas xlr and Samurai Jack" were influence by anime, so avatar is the result of the anime-love. Even though anime was its strongest in the 90s and early 2000s it seems people still like it

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Simple answer is 'no'.
Americans can make cartoons which resemble Anime. (Avatar etc.)

I also don't see why you'd want to use the term Anime for American cartoons. It's just a name (a name which literally means Japanese animated cartoon). Why would you want to call it: American Japanese Animated Cartoon? Doesn't make sense.
It's not going to change the quality of anything.

pilouuuu

Aug 18, 2009
I wouldn't say Americans can make Anime. A cartoon with a similar style to cartoons from Japan can be undoubtly be made anywhere, but I also use Anime as a synonim to Japanese cartoons.

I don't see the problem either. I prefer things like Avatar and Thundercats much more than most Anime because they are different.

While the style is very similar to anime I prefer the way the plot is conceived and how the characters behave. There's something that annoys me about Anime, but I can't point my finger exactly what it is. Maybe it's a cultural thing. While I agree that they are well made, sometimes the plot is tedious or overly ambitious. Sometimes the pace is wrong, sometimes the jokes are unfunny, sometimes the characters are hateful... There's something that's totally off-putting in Anime for me and I don't know what. As much as I try to like them, there's something that feels off... Let me put an example, Dragon Ball Z is funny and entertaining at times, but the characters are retarded, the fights last for 20 episodes and then a new baddie is even more powerful, more training for Goku... Wow! Craaaap! Most of the criticism can be said for Naruto as well. Evangelion while deep at times was nonsensical most of the times, making it seem pretentious. And so, there are many examples.

I don't hate anime, I'm just saying that mostly Anime for TV is crap and shouldn't be an standard that all should follow. I can't say the same for movies like Paprika, Totoro and Summer Wars, which are simply brilliant.

When I started watching Avatar at first I didn't know it wasn't Japanese and I immediately liked it. Why? Not because of the animation style, but because of the way the story is told and because of the characters.

So, there's really no reason to make Anime in USA as it's as nonsensical as making Spanish French movies, German Bollywood movies or Australian Spagghetti Westerns... Well, you can imitate the style, but it will never be the real thing. Besides that Americans can make much better Anime-style cartoons if they want to and Avatar is a good example.

Can I also add an excerpt from a review for Anime movie Redline?

"For a start, Redline looks like nothing you've seen before. It's easy to see that Koike is a huge fan of western graphic art, and has been influenced as much by French comic artist Jean ?Moebius? Giraud (possibly best known for his design work on The Fifth Element), the US animated film Heavy Metal, cult UK sci-fi comic 2000 AD, and even the Star Wars movies as much as he has by the likes of Katsuhiro Otomo, Hiroyuki Imaishi or Leiji Matsumoto. Not that Redline feels or looks like a mash-up of different styles ? somewhere in the visual chaos it unrelentingly throws at its audience it becomes something that is far more than the mere sum of parts, a unique piece of animation that at times doesn't even feel like anime in the traditional sense.

Read more at http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/redline#Wv2aAAu0cxubpari.99"

Well, what's the problem of being influenced by foreign creators if it's going to be for making better animation for us? We all win and we shouldn't be limited by a simple term.

Captcha: baby boomer

SAMAS

Aug 27, 2009
Depends on your definition of "Anime".

In Japan, all animation is anime. it's their word to define the medium as a whole. So yes, to the Japanese, Americans can make anime. In fact, Transformers Prime is airing in Japan now, and Tom & Jerry is considered one of the top 50 anime of all time.

Outside of Japan, "Anime" means animation specifically coming from Japan. Produced and written (and sometime even animated) in the Land of the Rising Sun. By this definition, no. An American cannot make Anime unless he were to directly work for or with Sunrise or another Japanese animation studio.

Not that it's impossible. Check out Afro Samurai, which had Americans like Samuel L. Jackson and the RZA working from the get-go (simply dubbing doesn't count).

Now, if you're asking if an American company can make a series with an anime-like style, oh sure. One is usually made every three to five years or so. Hell, France makes shows like that all the time, and many of them come over here (but not Wakfu, sadly).

Seriously, if you like Animation, Action, and Fantasy, check out Wakfu.

Now if you mean a show using a lot of tropes, storylines and characters often associated with Anime (and sometimes a level of quality/maturity associated with the better anime series'), then again, Americans can and have done this many times. Just ask Aang and Korra, the Justice League, and J.T. Marsh.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
I would say the thumbnail proves it, but in Avatar the eyes aren't big enough, the boys actually have brains, and the women aren't constantly pulling hammers out off their barely concealed asses to bash the boys' heads in for the slightest offense. Plus they don't take the time to explain their attacks while doing battle and there is less that ten minutes of split screen reaction shots per episode.

Oh well, back to the drawing board...
You forgot the exclamation fragments (see: Link's vocabulary).

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
Are they physically capable, yes. Is it in the interest of humanity for them to do so, probably not... but id love to be proved wrong.

pilouuuu

Aug 18, 2009
McMullen said:
DVS BSTrD said:
I would say the thumbnail proves it, but in Avatar the eyes aren't big enough, the boys actually have brains, and the women aren't constantly pulling hammers out off their barely concealed asses to bash the boys' heads in for the slightest offense. Plus they don't take the time to explain their attacks while doing battle and there is less that ten minutes of split screen reaction shots per episode.

Oh well, back to the drawing board...
You forgot the exclamation fragments (see: Link's vocabulary).
Haha you're so right! I hate that stuff! That's why I think American can make better cartoons with Anime inspiration. And that's why I prefer Studio Ghibli animation, because they may be surrealistic, but they aren't insultingly stupid.

ZiggyE

Nov 13, 2010
Eri said:
Anime is a MEDIUM not a genre. Can't even believe I or anyone would have to explain that. From crime anime to harem girl anime.
Give it up. This community doesn't listen to sense and reason. As far as they're concerned, they're happy dwelling in their ignorance that all anime is either;
a.)Girls with big breasts or
b.)Guys with big swords.

renamon400

Aug 8, 2010
I wrote about this a while ago!
It's just a blog and it's not as good as this article, but I totally beat The Escapist to something!

https://pressbtorant.wordpress.com/2012/06/11/mandatory-anime-post-or-how-i-learned-to-stop-judging-western-anime-and-love-legend-of-korra/

Check it out and bring me some traffic, if you don't want to read that lemme sum up my thoughts.
For me the problem is that my first experience with American made manga was a terribly drawn christian story ( Love God and all, but DAMN that story was bad). The plot was predictable and droll and it tainted my view of the American product. It wasn't just the Christian manga though, every time I encounter an American made manga or anime after that it felt like a generic rip off.

When I heard about Avatar and how it was American made I didn't give it a second thought.
I was forced to watch the first two episodes of Korra, however, and am extremely grateful that I did. I am now looking forward to the second season and biding my time with the rest of Avatar :).

I pride myself in being an open minded person, but I got it into my head that it was impossible for Americans to make a show with a good plot and characters with Japanese/Chinese influence.

Mydnyght

Feb 17, 2010
SnakeoilSage said:
Oh come on. Anyone can make anime. It's all in the presentation.

<youtube=bkP_sJty7EY>
Yeah, I agree with your "anyone can make anime" statement. Hell, apparently Rockstar Games can... heheheh...
<youtube=Uu5UtdUKHdE>

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
The contemporary definition of anime in today's pop culture refers to only two things, the art style and typical conventions. The more realistic proportions save for the big gooey eyes, the excessive amounts of exposition and esoteric site gags take precedence over the fact that it came out of Japan. Legend of Korra isn't anime despite being made in the west, plenty of shows such as Panty and Stocking aren't anime despite being made in japan.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
If it is not from Japan then it is not an Anime.
Anime does not describe a certain art, presentation or animation style. The only thing it accurately describes, and mind you only to insiders, is the origin. If you take that away then the term is rendered completely useless.

Manga = Japanese Comic
Manwha = Korean Comic
Manhua = Chinese Comic
Comic = Western Comic

So my answer is: No Korra or Airbender can not be Anime.

revjor

Sep 30, 2011
Sure they can. Boondocks, Teen Titans and the two Avatars are pretty awesome. and the new black dynamite toon too.