Can someone recommend me an anime?

SonofaJohannes

Apr 18, 2011
Cromartie High School is short and hilarious. It's got monkeys, robots and Freddie Mercury. The english dub is actually good, the Japanese version has Norio Wakamoto.
And then there's this: Watch it. You'll thank me.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
Yeah... You kind of want to watch Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. Pretty much up there as my second-favourite TV show ever (after West Wing). It's a wholly masculine affair and pretty deep thematically, so different from your average anime in general. The movies whose timeline it's in just about defined to the world how sophisticated anime could be.
What else can I really say? It's just damn good and if you haven't watched anything of it already then you really haven't started watching anime yet.

Also you should check out Hellsing if you haven't already (the manga, not the OVA), which one of the best uses I've ever seen of vampires in anything visual (Daybreakers league) and is an anime which has a main character who actually "is" cool, rather than just thinking he is and acting like a retard.

So yeah that's all I've really got to say about it.

(Yay, first post; that's right Ghost in the Shell is that good that I finally felt the need to create an account on the Escapist after all this time, just so I could tell you about it. You're welcome.)

Rems

May 29, 2011
Hmm, i'd of said Cowboy Bebop but you requested short anime's. That said it is very episodic so you don't need to watch all of them if you don't want to (and 1 season, 26 episodes isnt that long). Think of it kinda like Firefly in anime form.

Tenchi Muyo (Rhyo Ohki), was originally just one self contained OVA(6 episodes). Then followed by 2 more OVA's (again not necessary to watch in terms of plot development if you don't want to). Its rather light hearted and a bit silly, that said its a good introductory anime and was hugely popular.

As the others have suggested Baccano is also a good one.

Grave of the Firefly's is an excellent anime movie, very poignant and mature. Hell its a good movie full stop.

I can't really think of any short anime's though off the top of my head. How short is short exactly?

Executor78

Apr 24, 2011
Some of my favorites: Tenchi Muyo (the OVA and GXP, and the Tenchi Universe TV series); El-Hazard OVA and its more light-hearted TV counterpart The Wanderers; Dual: Parallel Trouble Adventures; Hand Maid May; Great Detectives Poirot and Marple (for all Agatha Chriatie fans); Mahorabu Heartful Days; Ultra Maniac. That's all I can think of right now. Will post more if I can think of anymore.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
Alright, I'll start this off by saying I'm not fond of anime. The whole melodrama and style doesn't appeal to me.

That said... there are two anime shows that have my full devotion: Gasaraki and Excel Saga.

Gasaraki is a mecha show, but a very realistic, well-detailed one. It kinda seems like Tom Clancy's Anime.

As for Excel Saga, it's just original in its overblown humour and over-the-top characters.

Mike Laserbeam

Dec 10, 2010
Cowabungaa said:
Go watch Monster, one of the best shows, anime or otherwise, I've ever seen. Well I'm not that far in it, but the story is fantastic so far.
He asked for a "preferably short" anime and you suggest Monster...? :p
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved Monster! (You've got some brilliant stuff to come if you're still watching it) But it's an absolute epic in terms of length!

Nannernade

May 18, 2009
Kashimashi: Girl Meets Girl, the only thing creepy and perverted about this one is the dad, but you'll laugh your ass off, I guarantee it.

Funky Flump

Jun 24, 2010
I Loved Chobits And Disgaea, also Neon Genesis Evangelion, and Im currently watching Cowboy Bebob! Death Note was pretty good too.

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
Gungrave, Trigun and Samurai Champloo. (All of those are 26 episode shows - All of them tell a story and end, all of them are regarded as classic good - all of them are at least similar in style or atmosphere to Cowboy Bebop, at least a tiny bit - and all of them are in my favourite list)

With Gungrave: just watch the first episode... but don't take it as a representation of the show. Watch at least the second one too. (First episode: Dude kills monsters, blahblah, Second: young guys from the streets try to get into a syndicate)

weker

May 27, 2009
Wyatt118 said:
That doesn't make me feel like a creep or pervert? (preferably a short anime.)

Edit: Seen most of Cowboy Bebop, and parts of Ghost in the shell. Both were very enjoyable.
Samurai champloo is cowboy bebop but in the past.

Death Wolf113

Dec 13, 2010
Just got done watching spice and wolf vary good fantasy no blood or gore also ouran host club its a high school comdey

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Imperator_DK said:
Baccano! [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/anime/6404-Anime-Review-Baccano]

Classic gangster drama with touches of horror, ultraviolence, and comedy. 16 episodes long. And no prominent element of sexualization in sight, which I'm assuming is what you're aiming for in regard to that whole "pervert" thing.
This man has wisdom for you. Take his advice I say. Mobsters, Immortals... Immortal mobsters!? And it's pretty darned well written to boot. Stick with it about 3-4 episodes, trust me on this. So many interesting and unique characters. You'll be happy you watched it.

SonofaJohannes said:
Cromartie High School is short and hilarious. It's got monkeys, robots and Freddie Mercury. The english dub is actually good, the Japanese version has Norio Wakamoto.
And then there's this: Watch it. You'll thank me.
Thankyou sir, you have just posted my favorite 2:40 seconds of any anime ever. I always wished they'ed make more of this show. I also second any recommendation of cromartie high.

If I may:

Berserk: It's dark, it's intelligent, it's medieval. Check it out. One of the best and longest running manga epics around, a great introduction is through the show.

Spice and Wolf: It's a show with mystery, detective and romance elements. It's got fantasy elements but has nothing to do with magic or battles... and well everything to do with economics. It's... different. But I liked it.

Claymore: More fantastic elements than berserk, features a female protagonist. She's quite a likeable character. More in the classic Shonen style in some respects and the ending takes a big left turn from the manga, but it's still a good show, with some darned nice scoring.

SleepyChan

Jul 7, 2010
My personal favorite would have to be Berserk. Loved the no nonsense gore and theme. Characters are real and wonderfully fleshed out, plot is rock-solid, and the storytelling is unmatched. And, if you prefer more mature shows, this one has you covered. In spades.

I'd also recommend Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Yes, I've seen the original anime, and liked it; but I've also read and finished the manga. Gotta say that, in the end, Brotherhood has the original beat. It's beautiful. Hope that's helpful!