Can someone recommend me an anime?

Philip Petrunak

Apr 3, 2010
Short, but awesome anime? FLCL, no contest.

Five episodes filled with action, depth, and meaningful symbolism. Great production values, dubbing, and sound track as well. A definate must-see.

BTW, since you mentioned GiTS, I would recommend watching the whole series, including Ghost in The Shell: 2nd GIG, which is the sequal to the first GiTS series.

Oh, and Avatar: The Last Airbender. Just because its awesome.

mega48man

Mar 12, 2009
anthony87 said:
mega48man said:
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
aegix drakan said:
I recommend Gundam 00.

It. Was. AWESOME. Not only is the action good, but it is SMART. There are a lot of brilliant moments in that show.

And I have not seen the second season yet which is apparently even BETTER.
The ending makes you feel better, but everything they changed can seem strange. Also, 00 Raiser is almost as God Mode as Gundam gets.
mega48man said:
nomad240 said:
mega48man said:
how about this: don't waste your time. not only does anime take you down a dark, lonely path of only having otaku's for friends, but you could also be watching justice league unlimited instead. at least JLU is good.
hold on.. I watch anime.. and i hang out with friends only one of which is starting to get into anime... and I still watch the JLU? and batman the animated series? as well as read both styles of comics?

my question to you.... good sir.... why do you hate the anime/ manga scene?
long story, but an interesting one if you're into drama;
because in my experience, anime turns kids into socially awkward otakus who've never seen american classics like old yeller or gone with the wind, yet they think they have every right to scream and shout at you as they try to make you watch deathnote, or some other boring shit about japanese kids with demon powers. but this is only what i observe from the kids at the high school i just graduated from, i hope i'm just seeing the worst of what anime can do.

i used to be reeeally into anime, in middle school. permanently ruined my life. i was branded a narutard which stuck until i went to a different school. in that time in middle school, i was bullied every day and i never knew why, it wasn't until i was older that i realized just how retarded anime was. but somehow, out of that hell, came a pretty girl who also liked anime. she was nice, kind, and she liked me. i came back to the school where all the kids who branded me were, but now i had changed myself; no more weird things. that means no anime, now talking weird, no nothing, do what everyone else was doing. it actually worked out pretty good, i was a much different person. later, i finally asked out that girl, and we had an amazing time together. however, anime got in the way of our relationship a few times. spend halloween at my house or go to youmacon? she went to youmacon, and i sat on my couch with a handful of unwatched scary movies. but regardless, she made me forget about all the bad things around me because it meant so much to me that she loved me. back in january, she dumped me, on finals week. i was so broken i couldn't focus on half my finals and flunked my pre-calc exam. it got much worse from there; i began to alienate my friends, developed a drinking habit, bullies came back, my parents are so involved in this ongoing horrible drama on my moms side they begin to pay less attention to me, i cut myself a couple times because i couldn't deal with the fact that i knew everything was happening because it was my fault, it was bad, really bad. last summer was the greatest summer of my life, this summer is going to be the worst summer of my life.

so my point is that anime is like a mafia; if you try to leave it, it'll fuck up your life. once you're in too deep, there's no way out.
So obviously Anime was to blame, not the intolerant assholes who bullied you. Awesome reasoning there.
i had a mid life crisis trying to figure out who to put the blame on, and i was obviously still doing something wrong to get bullied, so i blamed it on what i thought caused it. but i'm glad you read my whole story, that means a lot to me when i open up like that, thank you.

and yeah, i hate those asshole, definately gonna fuck up their house over the summer. chop down a tree and TP the house? maybe i'll even tag the side of their house with a swastika, epic win.
So...you basically went and changed your interests and your personality because of assholes.?
yeah, i know, i was naive. but you gotta admit, naruto is pretty gay. and i find the eccentricness of anime all together is annoying, especially when you see really weird kids acting it out in the halls.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
mega48man said:
anthony87 said:
mega48man said:
aegix drakan said:
I recommend Gundam 00.

It. Was. AWESOME. Not only is the action good, but it is SMART. There are a lot of brilliant moments in that show.

The ending makes you feel better, but everything they changed can seem strange. Also, 00 Raiser is almost as God Mode as Gundam gets.
mega48man said:
nomad240 said:
mega48man said:
how about this: don't waste your time. not only does anime take you down a dark, lonely path of only having otaku's for friends, but you could also be watching justice league unlimited instead. at least JLU is good.
hold on.. I watch anime.. and i hang out with friends only one of which is starting to get into anime... and I still watch the JLU? and batman the animated series? as well as read both styles of comics?

because in my experience, anime turns kids into socially awkward otakus who've never seen american classics like old yeller or gone with the wind, yet they think they have every right to scream and shout at you as they try to make you watch deathnote, or some other boring shit about japanese kids with demon powers. but this is only what i observe from the kids at the high school i just graduated from, i hope i'm just seeing the worst of what anime can do.

i used to be reeeally into anime, in middle school. permanently ruined my life. i was branded a narutard which stuck until i went to a different school. in that time in middle school, i was bullied every day and i never knew why, it wasn't until i was older that i realized just how retarded anime was. but somehow, out of that hell, came a pretty girl who also liked anime. she was nice, kind, and she liked me. i came back to the school where all the kids who branded me were, but now i had changed myself; no more weird things. that means no anime, now talking weird, no nothing, do what everyone else was doing. it actually worked out pretty good, i was a much different person. later, i finally asked out that girl, and we had an amazing time together. however, anime got in the way of our relationship a few times. spend halloween at my house or go to youmacon? she went to youmacon, and i sat on my couch with a handful of unwatched scary movies. but regardless, she made me forget about all the bad things around me because it meant so much to me that she loved me. back in january, she dumped me, on finals week. i was so broken i couldn't focus on half my finals and flunked my pre-calc exam. it got much worse from there; i began to alienate my friends, developed a drinking habit, bullies came back, my parents are so involved in this ongoing horrible drama on my moms side they begin to pay less attention to me, i cut myself a couple times because i couldn't deal with the fact that i knew everything was happening because it was my fault, it was bad, really bad. last summer was the greatest summer of my life, this summer is going to be the worst summer of my life.

so my point is that anime is like a mafia; if you try to leave it, it'll fuck up your life. once you're in too deep, there's no way out.
So obviously Anime was to blame, not the intolerant assholes who bullied you. Awesome reasoning there.
i had a mid life crisis trying to figure out who to put the blame on, and i was obviously still doing something wrong to get bullied, so i blamed it on what i thought caused it. but i'm glad you read my whole story, that means a lot to me when i open up like that, thank you.

and yeah, i hate those asshole, definately gonna fuck up their house over the summer. chop down a tree and TP the house? maybe i'll even tag the side of their house with a swastika, epic win.
So...you basically went and changed your interests and your personality because of assholes.?
yeah, i know, i was naive. but you gotta admit, naruto is pretty gay. and i find the eccentricness of anime all together is annoying, especially when you see really weird kids acting it out in the halls.
I don't mind the eccentricness of anime really, it's the eccentricness of the people you described that pisses me off. Hell I like anime and read manga and watch Naruto and Bleach and a wide range of others but I never walked around with a bag or clothes full of anime pictures or whatever.

The people who do that are the people who can't just like something, they have to let everyone know that they like it.

nomad240

Aug 13, 2008
anthony87 said:
mega48man said:
anthony87 said:
mega48man said:
aegix drakan said:
I recommend Gundam 00.

mega48man said:
nomad240 said:
mega48man said:

I don't mind the eccentricness of anime really, it's the eccentricness of the people you described that pisses me off. Hell I like anime and read manga and watch Naruto and Bleach and a wide range of others but I never walked around with a bag or clothes full of anime pictures or whatever.

The people who do that are the people who can't just like something, they have to let everyone know that they like it.
I like you... you talk sense

mega48man

Mar 12, 2009
anthony87 said:
mega48man said:
anthony87 said:
mega48man said:
aegix drakan said:
I recommend Gundam 00.

mega48man said:
nomad240 said:
mega48man said:

holy crap, you just opened my eyes to something that's been there but i've never seen before; anime isn't looked down on because it's weird, it's looked down on because of how otaku's cram it in people's faces telling them it's the best thing in the world which to other people makes otakus, who are representing anime, look like self centered jerks who only cares about what THEY like. who the hell wants to be around a person like that? shit, i never would of guessed.

anime conventions, otakus, anime clubs at school, it all makes sense now. i've never seen a comic book club at school, if i hadn't graduated already i'd start one, who doesn't love iron man? and the otakus, i've never seen anyone go out of their way to praise american comic books other than the occasional "yeah, dark knight was sweet" or "iron man 2 was epic", and at least those are subtle, positive comments.

if we could just kill all the otakus and keep anime underground until it earns the respect of the public eye, there may be a future for anime. but until then, i'll continue to watch justice league and not tell anyone i don't know personally.