Can Videogames Make You Cry?

Louzon

Apr 9, 2009
I cried while playing Shadow of the Colossus, on the way to the final boss. I think anyone who played it knows what I'm talking about. That game pulls on people's heartstrings more than any game I've heard of, and the kicker is there's hardly any meaningful dialogue through the bulk of the game.

APLovecraft

Jan 13, 2010
i know it's pretty typical but yeah, Aeris' theme music still makes me weep like a 4 year old, never cried at a game since,

e2density

Dec 25, 2009
Assassin Xaero said:
and the end of Crisis Core. That one really almost did it.
Crisis Core FF7 changed my outlook on video games. I laugh at all the players who think CoD4MW2 is the best game ever made...

They've never even played a great game. And I did cry at the end.

Zack is a hero :D

Ericb

Sep 26, 2006
Louzon said:
I cried while playing Shadow of the Colossus, on the way to the final boss. I think anyone who played it knows what I'm talking about. That game pulls on people's heartstrings more than any game I've heard of, and the kicker is there's hardly any meaningful dialogue through the bulk of the game.
That kicker is a lesson in game design.

And yeah, I know the part you are referring to. I've seen a guy who pretty much plays the macho type in life actually becoming really silent when that particular part happened.

That and him actually wondering if he was wrong to attack the desert flying colossus. I started to truly believe in videogame art potential after that day.

Bealzibob

Jul 4, 2009
I'm pretty sure i have a few times but one i can remember well was...

...er...*cringes at how bad this is*...halo 3. But thats cause the halo games have grown with me, they are like my own little ritalin popping brother. It's was the moment where after all that shit you finally get Cortana back and she says "keep your head down, theres two of us in here remember". Reminding me of when i was like 9 playing the first game, oh the memories...

<<Isn't really a fanboi, Honest.

MadBlueWinnie

Dec 5, 2009
Hanna's Depature in Lost Odyssey
Edit: Embeding didnt work. Link here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPn0T4ZpLKE

And of course FFVII. Damnit Sephiroth!

FinalGamer

Mar 8, 2009
I cried when Aeris died in FFVII like many others of course. But I also cried when Red XIII finds his father's statue, and also when Tifa remembers the day her mother died (actually that last moment still makes me cry to this day when remembering it).

Other game moments that get me are:
The nuke in Call of Duty 4
Schala's theme in Chrono Trigger
Relm's theme in Final Fantasy VI
K.K. Slider's song Stale Cupcakes in Animal Crossing: City Folk (which was originally Just Pulling Your Leg 2 in Wild World)
Dropping a Gobbo baby in Croc 2 (their little tears....oh god the little tears)
Failing a particular QTE in Shenmue that ended up in a little girl being hit by a soccer ball (oh god that hurt me so much I had to calm down for a bit)
The Weighted Companion Cube in Portal
The boy with the flute in Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
The version of Snowman in Super Smash Bros Brawl (this is more because I associate it to The Snowman, a very nostalgic sad British animation)
The story of Leon the lion in Phoenix Wright: Justice For All
Kazarov Stonehenge in Dark Chronicle because of the music
And finally ALL of Mother 3....especially the ending, because I had named the first two characters of the game after me and my best friend, so.....well I won't spoil but by the end of it I was weeping and begging.

Takoto

Mar 25, 2009
Oh god, yes. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 is the most recent one that made me sob,
when the Chidori fight ends, and Junpei "dies", I sobbed, and then I sobbed even more when Chidori gave the rest of her life-force to revive him, I don't know why, but that bit always gets me
and also
at the end of the game, I knew that MC died, so when he was lying there, head on Aigis' lap, slowing closing his eyes with the sound of all his loving friends drawing near, I sobbed a little. I read spoilers accidentally beforehand so yeah D;
My boyfriend didn't understand why that big made me sad, cause he hadn't read the spoilers I had, he did like a week later though and knew why I was like :C

PxDn Ninja

Jan 30, 2008
I've cried in games. When I played through FFVII the first time, Aerith's death brought tears.

Eatbrainz

Mar 2, 2009
Carmine & Tai's death scenes in GoW2

Libery Prime getting blown up in Fallout 3...he was an example for us all.

Ghost getting shot in MW2, it was one of the few moment in gaming where i fell to my knees, darth vader style screaming "NOOOOOOO!!!"