Can we please stop it with the Tumblr hate?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Queen Michael said:
First we have all the shipping, which in at least 87% of cases focuses on treating two hot male characters as gay sex objects.
is that really any different to straight guys obsession with lesbains?

EDIT: sorry "lesbains"

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Zontar said:
erttheking said:
What's wrong with a different word for sexual?

And the word is made up? You know what other words are made up? Literally every single one in existence. We made them and gave them meaning.
The problem is, demisexual both in its origin and common usage on the internet ISN'T a form of sexual (and a dame pointless one at that as EtternalyBoard pointed out), the actual meaning is for someone who is between being sexual or asexual. Which does not exist by definition. When he used the term I was under the impression he was using it like everyone else (including the girl who made it up) did. For such a young word, the definition changed pretty dame fast.
Odd, because the person who identified as demi-sexual, the one you were talking to, said that he was indeed sexual, just barely sexual. Also, I can't really comment on the changing of the word. I googled it and all I got was the "not interested in sex unless there's an emotional connection." Eternally also said that the term helps people form an identity. Ergo he DIDN'T call it pointless. He flat out said he didn't agree with the opposition to it, just that he understood where they were coming from.

Also you ignored my blue comment.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Vault101 said:
Queen Michael said:
First we have all the shipping, which in at least 87% of cases focuses on treating two hot male characters as gay sex objects.

Yep; straight guys like yours truly don't pretend that there's anything socially acceptable about it, while the people who ship two canonically straight guys don't seem to understand why sex fantasies are a private thing, or why it's actually anti-gay to reduce them to fantasy objects.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Alek_the_Great said:
Vault101 said:
Queen Michael said:

Do straight guys try to aggressively ship female characters together even though they're shown to not be lesbians? I don't think I've ever seen this happen before.
You just need to spend some time on the Mass Effect kink meme then.

ayvee

Jan 29, 2010
Alek_the_Great said:
The problem with demisexuality is that it's a frivolous label used to make people feel "special", not to mention the origins of it.

http://factualwiley.tumblr.com/post/46405111996

Demisexuality was literally made for an RP board so a person's character could fall in love with everyone's character. What annoys me is the very concept of how demisexuality works. It basically just means you have to build a relationship and feel an emotional connection with someone before you can feel a sexual attraction. That's basically how the vast majority of people build relationships, it's not a special kind of sexuality. Despite what you think, most people aren't sexual animals that feel sexual attraction to every stranger they come across. Sexualities have nothing to do with how you form a relationship, it purely has to deal with what you are attracted to. You can call yourself whatever you want, but the second you try to say your made up special snowflake thing is serious or as legitimate as any other sexuality that's when I take issue.

It's pretty much the same thing as the nan0boy/girl thing. It was a gender identity made up as a joke to make fun of people that come up with frivolous gender identities and some people actually took it seriously and started using it (it's basically taking the concepts of a tomboy or an effeminate male and making them gender identities).
The origins of the word are dubious (and more complicated than just the forum thing, as it ties into words like semi-sexual and gray-asexual which go back further) but it's still commonly used now. I'm sure we could all find lists of typical words in the English language with stupid origins if we wanted to.

But I didn't adopt the term to make myself stand out or anything. I don't even usually bring it up to people, I just wanted to offer some insight. I spent my adolescence thinking I was "basically" asexual but being confused. Later I found out that there was a term that perfectly described my experience, and that made me feel better about all of it. That's all there is to it.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
erttheking said:
Odd, because the person who identified as demi-sexual, the one you were talking to, said that he was indeed sexual, just barely sexual. Also, I can't really comment on the changing of the word. I googled it and all I got was the "not interested in sex unless there's an emotional connection." Eternally also said that the term helps people form an identity. Ergo he DIDN'T call it pointless. He flat out said he didn't agree with the opposition to it, just that he understood where they were coming from.

They only claimed to be sexual after the argument had already started, and it's only now, after it, that we see it's due to the mix up of the term not having a (apparent) universal definition. Hour blue comment is redundant since it's something we all agree on (though weather or not some "shades" of this argument even merit a name. I have a much stronger sexual attraction to East and Central European as well as East Asian women then I do to South Asian or Arabic or Sub-Saharan women, is there a name for THAT? Does there even need to be one for that?)

The problem this whole argument stems from is a by-product of how internet culture has formed: the decentralized subcultures have started to use terms which have not solidified themselves yet in different ways, so this leads to problems such as this where people from two different subcultures meet and use the same terms and get into an argument about it simply due to the fact that the spheres both come from use the term differently.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
erttheking said:
Alek_the_Great said:
Vault101 said:
Queen Michael said:

Do straight guys try to aggressively ship female characters together even though they're shown to not be lesbians? I don't think I've ever seen this happen before.
Heh. Still, let's just agree that we never see straight guys who ship Kim Possible with Shego, write detailed and explicit sex scenes with them, and then insist that you're a homophobe if you don't like it.

ayvee

Jan 29, 2010
Alek_the_Great said:
Vault101 said:
Queen Michael said:

It definitely happens. Rule 34 is blind.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Queen Michael said:
erttheking said:
Alek_the_Great said:
Vault101 said:
Queen Michael said:

Heh. Still, let's just agree that we never see straight guys who ship Kim Possible with Shego, write detailed and explicit sex scenes with them, and then insist that you're a homophobe if you don't like it.
Give me ten minutes and I can prove all of those points (With a very probably exception of the last one) wrong.

ayvee

Jan 29, 2010
Zontar said:
erttheking said:

They only claimed to be sexual after the argument had already started, and it's only now, after it, that we see it's due to the mix up of the term not having a (apparent) universal definition. Hour blue comment is redundant since it's something we all agree on (though weather or not some "shades" of this argument even merit a name. I have a much stronger sexual attraction to East and Central European as well as East Asian women then I do to South Asian or Arabic or Sub-Saharan women, is there a name for THAT? Does there even need to be one for that?)

The problem this whole argument stems from is a by-product of how internet culture has formed: the decentralized subcultures have started to use terms which have not solidified themselves yet in different ways, so this leads to problems such as this where people from two different subcultures meet and use the same terms and get into an argument about it simply due to the fact that the spheres both come from use the term differently.
I'm pretty sure that I made it clear that I was sexual in my first post. In fact the entire intention of that post was to get across what a demisexual experience is like, and why it's distinct from, for lack of a better word, "normal" sexual attraction. Since a common response is something along the lines of "that's how everyone works." I think you'll find that the definition I'm using is the one that's commonly accepted and used on any wiki or search you'd want to use.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Zontar said:
erttheking said:

No offense, but it sounds like this is mainly coming down to you misunderstanding the term. I can't find your definition anywhere online, so it just sounds like you took the term literally. Demi-sexual, literally half sexual. There most likely isn't a term for that because unlike the person you were talking to, you don't need a special term in order to realize you aren't a freak of nature.

See above.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Alek_the_Great said:
erttheking said:
Queen Michael said:
erttheking said:
Alek_the_Great said:
Vault101 said:
Queen Michael said:

Give me ten minutes and I can prove all of those points (With a very probably exception of the last one) wrong.
I'm certain you could find the odd example or two, but I'm positive you won't find anywhere near the same frequency.
I'm not certain. The ship is pretty damn popular.

Zeles

Oct 3, 2009
Wait wait wait, if feminism and gay rights and stuff ISNT an SJW thing then what the hell are SJWs?

I go on tumblr all the time, follow a good mix of fandom and feminist stuff, and was under the impression that I WAS an SJW for trying to be more consciousness about all that stuff.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Zeles said:
Wait wait wait, if feminism and gay rights and stuff ISNT an SJW thing then what the hell are SJWs?

I go on tumblr all the time, follow a good mix of fandom and feminist stuff, and was under the impression that I WAS an SJW for trying to be more consciousness about all that stuff.
Eh, SJW is technically that, but it's a negative connotation put on it. Like White Knight.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
ayvee said:
The problem is, that IS a normal sexual attraction. It's not abnormal in any way, if it was there wouldn't be romantic sub-genres which revolve around it.
erttheking said:
No offense, but it sounds like this is mainly coming down to you misunderstanding the term. I can't find your definition anywhere online, so it just sounds like you took the term literally.
You know what, it probably is. But I'll have you know it isn't as though I and the only one who would make that mistake given what it's describing and how it is phrased, coupled with the fact that this is the internet, it's not as though information spreads uniformly or is accurate.
There most likely isn't a term for that because unlike the person you were talking to, you don't need a special term in order to realize you aren't a freak of nature.
So having preferences is being a freak of nature? I'll keep that in mind the next time someone tells me they're into blonds or redheads.