Canadian ISP Admits to Throwing Brakes on World of Warcraft

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
Pebkac said:
ReiverCorrupter said:
They'll also put you in prison for denying the holocaust, saying anything racist or various other thought crimes.
No, they don't.

AFAIK the only "hate speech crime" that can get you jail time is advocating genocide.

There's a huge difference between saying "I don't believe the holocaust happened" and saying "We should kill all the ".

Back on topic: ISPs, and cell phone networks get away with stuff like this all over the place. It's always due to lack of competition.

I think a big part of the problem is that countries tend to regulate these markets by requiring the company to be at least 50% local. It's partly an economic decision, but I suspect it's also part security issue. Wire-tapping your own citizens is pretty bad, but wire-tapping an entire other country would be pretty messed up.
While I agree with you that there is a huge distinction, I'm not sure if the Canadian government acknowledges it. Maybe they do. It might be Germany that I'm thinking of. But I'd also say that a person still has the right to advocate genocide (despicable though it may be). It's when they start planning it that you should arrest them. Advocacy is just another form of opinion, but even in America we draw the line when someone tells/commands someone else to do something. That's why we're able to arrest mob bosses.

L8NEYET

Dec 6, 2010
First it was the round bacon that made Canada weird, but now this? Atleast you have your free health care.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Sightless Wisdom said:
Yeah, thsi is among other internet issues we've been dealing with here lately. The CRTC is thankfully helping us out, but it's proving fairly difficult to stop the big ISP's from being the money grabbing bastards that they are.

(I'm paying about $50/month for ~1.5-2MB/s down and 60GB/month)
Jesus here in Saskatchewan I am paying $44 dollars a month with Sasktel for 5 mega bits per second with no limit. Why such a major diference?!

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Do those idiots realise P2P is a legitimate way to share files? WoW itself uses it to dole out patches.

I hope they get sued to hell and back for that shit.

Pebkac

May 1, 2009
ReiverCorrupter said:
Pebkac said:
ReiverCorrupter said:
They'll also put you in prison for denying the holocaust, saying anything racist or various other thought crimes.
No, they don't.

AFAIK the only "hate speech crime" that can get you jail time is advocating genocide.

There's a huge difference between saying "I don't believe the holocaust happened" and saying "We should kill all the ".

Back on topic: ISPs, and cell phone networks get away with stuff like this all over the place. It's always due to lack of competition.

I think a big part of the problem is that countries tend to regulate these markets by requiring the company to be at least 50% local. It's partly an economic decision, but I suspect it's also part security issue. Wire-tapping your own citizens is pretty bad, but wire-tapping an entire other country would be pretty messed up.
While I agree with you that there is a huge distinction, I'm not sure if the Canadian government acknowledges it. Maybe they do. It might be Germany that I'm thinking of. But I'd also say that a person still has the right to advocate genocide (despicable though it may be). It's when they start planning it that you should arrest them. Advocacy is just another form of opinion, but even in America we draw the line when someone tells/commands someone else to do something. That's why we're able to arrest mob bosses.
It's a distinction that was written into the criminal code, so I'd say yes, the gov. acknowledges it.

Also, it's advocacy of genocide. Not dislike, or advocacy of deportation. Genocide. As in mass murder.

However, I can and do advocate the genocide of Gnomes.

[Edit] If you want to continue this discussion, send a message or start a new thread, since it's really just us replying back and forth and it's off-topic.

Pebkac

May 1, 2009
Akalabeth said:
icyneesan said:
Akalabeth said:
icyneesan said:
Canada has a history of freaking out over new technologies that allow people to communicate. Remember the radio? *facepalm* The way our country freaks out over tech makes me ashamed.
Eh? Dude do you know that Canada is on the internet more than any other country? (presumably ranked by per capita)
I'm criticizing our past governments not the people.
So what again does Rogers have to do with the Canadian government exactly? I've never seen the Canadian government respond anything but favourably to new technology.
The CRTC is part of the government. They have a history of fucking things up. :(

SomEngangVar

Sep 23, 2009
I seriously hate the telecom companies in this country. We get gouged for sub-par services and they still want more. It's ridiculous.

Devil's Due

Sep 27, 2008
People are given a rare opportunity to stay away from WoW, especially if they're one of the many who are addicted to it, and they just have to complain? Sigh...

I'm glad I left it years ago, I'd kill for an opportunity like this to have arrived when I was playing it for about three years straight. Also, who names their company Rogers? Sounds... I don't even know!

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
Pebkac said:
ReiverCorrupter said:
Pebkac said:
ReiverCorrupter said:
No, they don't.

It's a distinction that was written into the criminal code, so I'd say yes, the gov. acknowledges it.

Also, it's advocacy of genocide. Not dislike, or advocacy of deportation. Genocide. As in mass murder.

However, I can and do advocate the genocide of Gnomes.
I understand what advocacy is. But I still don't think that I person who says, "damn I hate that dude! We should kill him!" should be arrested. I think the person who says, "Hey, I figured out how to kill him, here's the plan. Let's do it!" should be arrested. I'll grant you that advocacy of genocide is quite bad, but I still don't think it's enough to arrest someone.

As far as Gnomes go... I not only advocate the genocide of Gnomes, I HAVE genocided Gnomes. And their Gargoyle forefathers. And I'll keep doing it to any other smart-ass, wise-cracking inanimate objects with Scottish accents that Peter Molyneux can throw at me.

Zom-B

Feb 8, 2011
Interesting, because as far as I can determine, P2P file sharing is completely legal in Canada still. I was just giving my wife a hard time last night about being sued for all the downloading she was doing and she got really freaked out, even though I was joking. She started googling, and no where could we find anything stating that P2P file sharing was breaking Canadian law.

I'm assuming in this case the crap-weasels at Shaw are just doing something either from recording industry pressure or they have some sort of financial arrangement with the music industry to make them employ these tactics.

If I'm completely wrong about the legality of file sharing in Canada, someone set me straight, but otherwise, this is just bullshit on Shaw's part.

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
Straying Bullet said:
Canada officially took a blemish with this one. Thought it was a great nation but Internet is really important to me.

Shame really.
We ARE a great nation...better than all the rest but we know good games. We block the bad ones that suck the life out of ppl.....Much like WOW.

We value TRUE living.

I will personally write a Letter to Rogers and congratulate them for this and tell them to keep it up.

dibblywibbles said:
it's true. we do hate world of warcraft. we hate rogers as well. and pretty much anything to do with the crtc. basically we hate the majority of all telecom companies. we hate technology for the most part, basically technology hit its peak when you could make quality beer from city water.
LMAO!!!!!!

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
Straying Bullet said:
Digikid said:
Straying Bullet said:
Canada officially took a blemish with this one. Thought it was a great nation but Internet is really important to me.

Shame really.
We ARE a great nation...better than all the rest but we know good games. We block the bad ones that suck the life out of ppl.....Much like WOW.

We value TRUE living.

I will personally write a Letter to Rogers and congratulate them for this and tell them to keep it up.
You aren't serious, are you? P2P is a valid tool on the internet, apparently you enjoy being restricted in your freedom.

Have fun man!
You did not get my point across apparently. I have no problem with P2p sharing of LEGAL means......but I still hate WOW and will support ANYTHING to get rid of it once and for all.

Theflyingass

Sep 10, 2008
Im with Teksavvy. I get this http://www.speedtest.net/result/1225135022.png for around 40-50 a month at a 300GB monthly cap. Which is practically unlimited. Im situated in Toronto.

Jangles

Mar 12, 2010
zehydra said:
Torrasque said:
zehydra said:
Yeah, man Canada's got internet issues.

It's probably one of the only things about the place that I dislike enough to not move there.
Steve Fidler said:
Uh, my post disappeared.

But essentially the last line of this article is wrong. Canada has several providers that offer unlimited Broadband connections. They are just not the big telecom companies like Bell and Rogers.

Teksavvy and Acanac are two that service Ontario, for example.
I've had Rogers for years and it works fine for my WoW. I get disconnected from xblive sometimes, but that is a technical issue, and not my internet to blame.

There are dozens of ISP you can use, but Bell, Telus and Rogers control most of the internets that the smaller companies use as well (and give to you for cheaper, lulz)

But if you're not going to move to Canada because of a small problem like MMOs (apparently) not being able to play just right, then you are an idiot.
"Canada is one of the few Western countries that doesn't offer broadband plans with unlimited data."

I was actually thinking more about this.

And the fact that they were clamping down on p2p file sharing in general. P2P is not inherently bad.
Yeah, Canada is pretty fascist over modern policy issues. Give it 10-15 years and all the reactionary old farts will be dead, and waves of reform will come.