Cannon fodder (fantasy superpower rp) (closed, started)

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
If something particularly turn you off this rp please tell me so I know if there is something I need to fix or should consider changing.

IMPORTANT: First when the phrase magic residue comes up check the section of magic vs powers for an explanation. Second I am dyslexic and I was working with a friend on these posts and he said he would spell check all of these segments as I send him these, if these aren't the corrected version I apologies but I am going to spell check all my future posts to the bests of my abilities but understand I have my off days when it comes to this. Just tell me if you don't understand something and I will try and clear it up either by edit or messaging.

EDIT: just making it clear that any type of magic can be learned by any race it is just that the magic mentioned in each race sheet is the one that that race is most talented in and have done the most research into.

This is a world of magic and fanatasy were humans are a minority stuck in the middle of four powerful nations. Humans are also the worst at magic only barely getting passed by staying one step a head in technology.

Over the last 50 years some individuals form all races started developing powers at first this was thought to be a hidden talent in magic though after many tests and experiments it was shown these powers behaved differently to magic, these individuals were named enhanced beings.

Between nearly all magical circles a dislike and hatred of enhanced beings has been building up for years as not only did this beings not have to train and learn to gain this power, they were also in some ways more powerful and didn't have any of the discipline. over the years some magic user thought if they were better then enhanced beings then they were logically also better then normal beings.

Extremist groups of mages started appearing over most nations, these groups were responsible for the assassination of equal rights groups as well as starting riots and committed hate crimes against non magic users.

While these groups were normally caught and stopped quickly, thought one seemed to have deeply infiltrated themselves between the counties that surround the human homeland and unleashed chaos. Nearly instantly the human politicians knew they had to stop this group before it caused a war. They focused their magic users in the capital of the humans to cast a shield spell around the human homeland and the connected four counties, till the crisis is averted. To solve this crisis squads of enhanced beings are being put together, you are part of squad least expected to survive this, a group that is put together of people lacking both combat training and training of their power.
Appearance: They are skranny and tall, their heads look like goats heads except that they can have between 1-3 sets of horns. The rest of their body would resemble that of a faun

Homeland:Their homeland ranges from hills to great mountains that pierce the sky. Their homeland is the place of trolls and a primitive race of goblins that have barely figured out how to use tools. It is also the birth place of elemental spirits which go to seek their element in the world and then become an elemental.

Clothing: Their clothing is very minimal and tight cloth or armor as any excess material could get caught on rocks or tripped over leading to a unfortunate death.

Culture: buvor are very cautious when it come to doing anything as one falls step can lead to unwanted fall, they are also very stubborn when it comes to decision making as the once who made the wrong choice would normally end up dead so only the ones who have been right most of their lives remain. The mages of this land are masters of motusmancy, the art of using magic for movement. The spells include short to long range teleporting, making portables holes and bridges, increasing speed, reflex and agility and charging at an object in a magical orb form to mention a few. These mages help in the gathering of herbs for potions and medicine, delivering messages (used by nearly all races as curious). The mages also practice geomancy. The buvor also have temples in which monks learn self restrained, philosophy, martial arts and how to control their own bodies. These temples are located on the tallest mountains of each region, with the much lower level of oxygen at these peaks the monks learn to be great fighters in extreme conditions as a result when they come to ground level they become some of the best fighter the world have seen without the use of magic. The magical resetue of matsumancy has resulted in many deaths, this has resulted in people believing that magic while a useful tool brings great misfortune with its use and their for be used cautiously, as a result monks are taught never to use magic.

Politics: Any political matters are handeled by the monk elders and their messages are delivered by matsumancers. Future monks are chosen by monk elders , no one knows how this selection progress is carried out.

Opinion of Enhanced beings (people with super powers): They believe enhanced beings being the result of magic resetue infecting the newly born, as a result buvor are taught that enhanced beings are individuals of great misfortune.

Appearance: they Look like bears with slightly more human body proportions and a bulky build.

Homeland: a vast and thick forest, you can walk from one end of the country to the other without ever touching the ground. The forest ranges from woodland too tropical rain forest. The wild life is also extremely diverse

Clothing: The sophronius use any material they can gather that doesn't involve killing animals, they use wool from sheep like creature and they make armor out of the silk of a giant domesticated breed of spider.

Culture: having access to many herbs and unique ingredients allowed for earl development of medicines and study into animancy, these powerful healers are called shamans. Civilization grew around these healers resulting in a culture were bringing death to anything is frowned apun. Though they understand that certain death will have to occur for life to progress such as the cutting down of trees for buildings and eating plants. Though it is thought for every plant that they kill they shall plant every seed that that plant had left to spread. They also eat meat though only shaman prepare meat as they can cut off meat form an animal and then heal it. The sophronius also have a natural aggression so it is self control is heavily thought in their society.

Politics:every village has at least one shaman, the shaman are in charge of every decision made in the village and their word is the law. The only other figure of authority are the trents, a race of large tree people who have agreed to help the bears life in the forest and life with the wild life if the bears agree to respect the forest, the trents also help keep the various villages in touch with each other.

Opinion of Enhanced beings (people with super powers): they few any ability to help life as a blessing of nature to respected like life, while any power of destruction to be sing of the beings inner urge to destroy and that those individuals should be shunt.

Apearance:

they don't have the black skirt, the black shoulder or the omnitrix simple, and only the females have the angler fish lantern on their head.

Homeland: Their homelands is a wast swampland, filled with many landmarks that will kill you and both plants and animals that will eat you. Though this land is filled with many rare plants, animals and fossils that have a wide range of uses and are the Yama's main export.

Clothing: The Yama were leather (or just the skin of animals with no treatment) clothing, as it isn't too heavy so it doesn't cause them to sink into swamp water, and cloth would absorb too much of the swamp water becoming incredibly dirty.

Culture: Death is rampant in the homeland of the Yama, with only 1 out of 100 children will live to the age of 5, though a single female can lay about 1000 eggs each time it gives birth. Due to this Yama don't name their young until they reach the age of 5 (naming 10 children is easier then naming 1000), the Yama are also very relaxed when it comes to death, not mourning the dead and not caring what happens to dead bodies. The idea of funerals is funny to most Yama, they will often just use dead bodies for misc tasks. Necromancy is common practice as using dead things as tool isn't seen as a social taboo but rather as something useful, it is cheaper to hire 1 necromancer to build a city using zombies as a work force then to hire hundreds of builders. It is also more efficient, the dead don't care about health and safety, if a arm falls off it can simply be re attached and work can continue, they also don't have tea breaks or need to sleep so it is faster. The only line that is drawn when it comes to necromancers is when it is used on the living as they still have emotions and feelings unlike dead bodies. Most pets are also undead as a undead minion will do what ever you tell it to do, while a living animals takes time to train. dead bodies are also used as building material, toys and anything that other races would normally use wood, metal or cloth to make.

Politics: The Yama don't have a single leader but rather 13 leaders each being the head of a different county in the Yamas homeland.

Opinion of Enhanced beings (people with super powers): Most Yama believe that enhanced people are beings that inherited powers form their past lives which were still active when they began their new live (i.e. a undead minion of their old being is still in use) some see this as a cures, others as a blessing.

Appearance: they are sleek humanoid lizards with light brown coloring. Their feet are large and flat to help spread the heat of the hot desert sand over a larger area, though this adaption also gives them excellent grip for climbing.

Homeland: It is the largest and only desert of the planned, the hansav easily retain control over it as few are willing to invade such harsh land and those who to are not trained in the art of desert combat or can't stand the inhospitable condition. They only have a city in the center of this great desert and once around any major boarder though most hansav people live in constantly moving camps that normally settle around oases.

Clothing: mainly cloth when traveling through the desert, though out of the desert they can often be found wearing leather and it is not unheard of for some to wear metal armor, though most don't like the feel of metal armor nor to they like the weight.

Culture: due to very view resources in the desert land means some have mastered the art of bartering, while others have mastered the art of theft. Their mages are geomancers or 'sand lords' are regarded highly and can often be seen wearing necklaces that have small bottles of water attached to them as a sign of this importance. Complaining is something that is normally looked down apun as it is thought that anything they have is a sign of good fortune and anything they don't have is just a sign that they need to work harder. Camels are also highly valued as they can carry more supplies then a person and is a sign of good wealth, they are also used for hunting sand wurms (the u is on purpose) and for combat in the desert. Wurm meat can last for years so even killing one can supply a camp of hansav with food for just as long, The skin is used form making light but effective armor. The bones are either just sold raw or turned into items to be sold. The teeth are used for making daggers or swords depending on the size of the sand wurm, these weapons are sharp, light and effective but break more easily then metal weapons. though their light weight and effectiveness makes them great harpoons, which are used to catch more sand wurms by dragging them to the surface where they cut up until they die by other hunters or are killed by the geomancers magic.

Politics: The hansav have no officially elected leaders but rather individuals which are picked to represent them on certain occasions, these individuals often just say their own opinions as they don't worry about getting re-elected and the chance of being invaded is so slim its not a worry.

Opinion of Enhanced beings (people with super powers): They don't really have a problem with enhanced being, though they expect them to achieve much more then a regular person and would frown apun them if they did not.

Appearance: like a human

Homeland: plains broken up by small forests, farmland and settlements, their homeland is by far the smallest only matching the size of the counties of the larger nations that surround them.

Clothing: similar to that of the medieval time

Culture: Most have at least some dislike of the races that surround their homeland as racism passes both ways. Most people work in agriculture or become merchants, the most looked up to profession are engineers, advancing human weaponry above those of the other races. humans have just invented crossbows and siege weapons recently though only in small numbers.

Politics: Political parties are voted in by the public and these parties have a spokes person designated which are normally very charismatic as they have to be to try and avoid any war between them and one of the surrounding nation, or between two of the surrounding nations as either way could be catastrophic for humans.

Opinion of Enhanced beings (people with super powers): They are praised and pressured as they have to make up for the humans inferior magic abilities.
(race) : (country)
buvor : surgo

sophronius : ethsich

human : embla

Yama : abumot

hansav : cassius
even if the magic user is more powerful then a enhanced being the enhanced being will always have the control and advantage around their power.

powers don't produce magic residue

powers can have and normally do have more restriction on them then magic.

Powers have noticeable stages of advancement while magic power slowly progresses.

powers are a lot less energy consuming then their magic equivalent.

magic takes years to advance and learn while powers can develop quickly and seemingly spontaneously.
magic residue enhances certain effects e.g. the magic residue of ice spells makes it easier to freeze thing as the magic residue of fire magic causes flames to burn brighter.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You can make up locations, noble families, crime groups etc. as needed for your character.

name:

race:

appearance:

personality:

skills:

history:

stats: (you can spend a max of 56 points but remmebr that 40 is average so having points above or below that will mean you will have to or can change other things about your character to be balanced)(these are here to give a rough over few of your characters abilities and to avoid people stretching what their characters can do e.g. a character with strength 7 isn't going to beat a character of strength 10 in arm wrestling)

ingenuity 0/10
strength 0/10
speed 0/10
charisma 0/10
intelligence 0/10
agility 0/10
perception 0/10
endurance 0/10

Main power: (your power should have several stages of development, how big of a change and how many there are, are up to you and they will be unlocked at semi random intervals)

Other: (Anything else you want to mention about your character
name: Anani mazin

race: hansav

appearance: he has dark orange stripes, he is very thin, even his feet are relativly thin and he is about 6ft 2inch tall.

personality: Care free and wreckless, though cowardly at heart.

skills: non, though not particullalry bad at most things

history: Anani was the worst hunter in his tribe and didn't show tallents in other areas, this resulted in him being the labour boy for the tribe helping anyone who asked and doing tasks no one else wanted to do. After his powers developed soon it became clear he made the perfect bait for creatures of the desert, after a couple of years anani became tired of this job and left for embla to try and make a more fun living, around this time the revolution started.

stats:

ingenuity 5/10
strength 4/10
speed 7/10
charisma 5/10
intelligence 4/10
agility 6/10
perception 5/10
endurance 4/10

Main power:
stage1: anani can trun himself into a cloud, this takes about 2 seconds to take full effect and he requires his entire cloud body to return to his solid form
stage2: anani can controll the movment of clouds
stage3: anani can make clouds rain and hail
stage4: anani can create lightning with clouds.

Other: anani is strangly light.

hiei82

Dire DM (+2 HD and a rend attack
Aug 10, 2011
Seems interesting. I can't help but think of several books/manga it reminds me of; I will have to try not to commit plagiarism as I make the character.

Question: as we are having numerical stats, will this game be taking advantage of dice rolling or is it another standard RP. I don't care either which way, I'm just curious.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
hiei82 said:
Seems interesting. I can't help but think of several books/manga it reminds me of; I will have to try not to commit plagiarism as I make the character.

Question: as we are having numerical stats, will this game be taking advantage of dice rolling or is it another standard RP. I don't care either which way, I'm just curious.
for the most part the rp will be just written with the stats serving more as guide lines for the characters, though if there is something I think has a big enough element of luck I will role a dice for it. Also I made everything in this rp up myself any resemblence to any manga/movie/tv show are purely accidental.

hiei82

Aug 10, 2011
[spoiler="Claire Rich'e Eris du Montaigne"/] Name: Claire Rich'e Eris du Montaigne (imagine in French accent)

Race: Human

Appearance: Claire is tall and graceful, with long blond hair and deep blue eyes. Despite her lineage, she is a bit of a tomboy, preferring loose pants and a shirt to a dress. When she needs to dress up however, she is stunning - one of the reasons she doesn't like to dress up.

Personality: Claire is a charming, outgoing person. She empathizes with most people and tries to do what she feels is right. she has a strong sense of duty to her people, believing it is the job of the strong to protect the weak. She tends to come off a little strong, as she holds her beliefs dear and rarely quiets them (much to the chagrin of her parents). She has a good relationship with her family, if strained by her defiance of "traditional" female roles - put up with due to her powers.

History: Claire grew up as the only child of the wealthy, political "Montaigne" family. Her mother and father (Isabella du Eris-Montaigne and Louis Rich'e du Montaigne) acted as ambassadors for the more powerful political families to settle both inter-human and inter-species conflicts. When she was born, it was expected that Claire would become a desirable, high-class lady, destined for a life of social parties and ambassadorial duties. They never expected she would be such a wild child. Claire spent her formative years escaping the gaze of her teachers and playing in the forest of her families estate with the children of the surrounding town, much to her parents ire. Eventually, she calmed down and studied in earnest, though even then she tended to ignore anything that could not keep her interest. During her 16th year however, her fate changed. After a fight with her father over an arranged marriage, she climbed atop the roof of their villa to calm herself. while climbing, a ledge gave way and she fell from the roof. The fall would have killed her if not for the awakening of her powers, that teleported her safely to the ground. Witnessing the event, her father agreed to null the marriage - she was worth far more political points now that she proved to be an enhanced being. When the conflict over broke out between enhanced beings and magical cabals, she was called upon to aid the defense - it was her duty to her people. She has been unable to teleport herself since that first day, but has learned to call upon her powers (however weakly)

Skills: Due to her families political position, she is fairly well versed in the art of diplomacy and politics. Because of her tomboy activities, she can navigate the wilderness with the best of them and has a good sense of direction. She knows how to fence, but lacks any real talent for it. When it comes to self defense, she prefers the range of her crossbow (which she is somewhat skilled with) to the power of a sword. She is literate and speaks several languages.

Stats: (45/45) - Claire is quick in both mind and body, but lacks the physical strength and stamina of her more martially skilled brethren. She is educated, but tended to ignore the more lectured courses in favor of "learning by doing" (evident by her lower intelligence but higher ingenuity)

Ingenuity: 8/10
Strength: 2/10
Speed: 5/10
Charisma: 8/10
Intelligence: 4/10
Agility: 7/10
Perception: 8/10
Endurance: 3/10

Main Power: Spatial Distortion - Claire has the ability to bend the fabric of reality to suit her needs. This manifests as the power of teleportation. Her power is limited by distance and mass

Stage 1: At her weakest level, she is capable of making small tears in the world, allowing her to move small, low mass (no more then a 20 lbs) object short distances (no more then 500 ft). She must be able to see her target location directly. Alternatively, she can reach through the small rift and bring something to her (same limitations apply). Objects moved maintain their momentum. This ability is conscious and requires her full attention. She cannot move living things

Stage 2: At Stage 2, her rifts become larger and can act at greater range. She can move up to 100 lbs up to 1000 ft. She still cannot move living things, herself included - regardless of weight - without killing the being teleported. She may now teleport to locations seen indirectly (through reflections, windows, etc)

Stage 3: At this stage, her rifts become safer and require less effort. She can now move 250 lbs up to a mile. She can create stage 2 or lower rifts with only partial concentration. In addition, she can (with great effort) move herself through the rifts without incurring injury. She cannot take another living thing with her without the passenger dying in the process. She may now teleport (herself or objects) without maintaining momentum if she chooses.

Stage 4: At this stage, she can teleport herself with ease to more abstract locations. Her weight limit increases to 500 lbs and up to 5 miles. She can teleport herself with ease now, though still cannot take anyone with her. She can now teleport to locations she has seen in the past (as long as she knows about where they are relative to her location and assuming they are in range) The effort needed for all earlier stages is reduced

Stage 5: At her most powerful, she can teleport with significantly reduced limits. She can now teleport upwards of 1000 lbs and nearly 10 miles. She can take others with her through the rifts, though this is still difficult and requires intense concentration (leaving her fatigued) she no longer needs to have seen the location of her target, only it's approximate direction and distance is needed. The effort needed for all earlier stages is reduced. Finally, she can now increase the effective momentum of objects/people passing through her rifts.

Other: Claire caries her families sword; a master blade by a master blacksmith in the shape and style of the sword of her family crest. She rarely uses the blade, and lacks the strength to make efficient use of it. Instead, she uses a finely carved, but unadorned hand cross-bow in situations where her powers are less effective or in conjunction with her powers as needed. In addition to these and the gear she needs for any particular job, she also carries several changes of clothing for when her social skills may be needed.[/spoiler]

Question: What is the difference between speed and agility exactly? I may have to switch the two around. I'm assuming speed is "how fast you can run/move/accelerate" where agility is "reflexes/dexterity/etc"

Let me know if you have any problems with the character.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
hiei82 said:
[spoiler="Claire Rich'e Eris du Montaigne"/] Name: Claire Rich'e Eris du Montaigne (imagine in French accent)

Appearance: Claire is tall and graceful, with long blond hair and deep blue eyes. Despite her lineage, she is a bit of a tomboy, preferring loose pants and a shirt to a dress. When she needs to dress up however, she is stunning - one of the reasons she doesn't like to dress up.

Personality: Claire is a charming, outgoing person. She empathizes with most people and tries to do what she feels is right. she has a strong sense of duty to her people, believing it is the job of the strong to protect the weak. She tends to come off a little strong, as she holds her beliefs dear and rarely quiets them (much to the chagrin of her parents). She has a good relationship with her family, if strained by her defiance of "traditional" female roles - put up with due to her powers.

History: Claire grew up as the only child of the wealthy, political "Montaigne" family. Her mother and father (Isabella du Eris-Montaigne and Louis Rich'e du Montaigne) acted as ambassadors for the more powerful political families to settle both inter-human and inter-species conflicts. When she was born, it was expected that Claire would become a desirable, high-class lady, destined for a life of social parties and ambassadorial duties. They never expected she would be such a wild child. Claire spent her formative years escaping the gaze of her teachers and playing in the forest of her families estate with the children of the surrounding town, much to her parents ire. Eventually, she calmed down and studied in earnest, though even then she tended to ignore anything that could not keep her interest. During her 16th year however, her fate changed. After a fight with her father over an arranged marriage, she climbed atop the roof of their villa to calm herself. while climbing, a ledge gave way and she fell from the roof. The fall would have killed her if not for the awakening of her powers, that teleported her safely to the ground. Witnessing the event, her father agreed to null the marriage - she was worth far more political points now that she proved to be an enhanced being. When the conflict over broke out between enhanced beings and magical cabals, she was called upon to aid the defense - it was her duty to her people. She has been unable to teleport herself since that first day, but has learned to call upon her powers (however weakly)

Skills: Due to her families political position, she is fairly well versed in the art of diplomacy and politics. Because of her tomboy activities, she can navigate the wilderness with the best of them and has a good sense of direction. She knows how to fence, but lacks any real talent for it. When it comes to self defense, she prefers the range of her crossbow (which she is somewhat skilled with) to the power of a sword. She is literate and speaks several languages.

Stats: (45/45) - Claire is quick in both mind and body, but lacks the physical strength and stamina of her more martially skilled brethren. She is educated, but tended to ignore the more lectured courses in favor of "learning by doing" (evident by her lower intelligence but higher ingenuity)

Main Power: Spatial Distortion - Claire has the ability to bend the fabric of reality to suit her needs. This manifests as the power of teleportation. Her power is limited by distance and mass

Stage 1: At her weakest level, she is capable of making small tears in the world, allowing her to move small, low mass (no more then a 20 lbs) object short distances (no more then 500 ft). She must be able to see her target location directly. Alternatively, she can reach through the small rift and bring something to her (same limitations apply). Objects moved maintain their momentum. This ability is conscious and requires her full attention. She cannot move living things

Stage 2: At Stage 2, her rifts become larger and can act at greater range. She can move up to 100 lbs up to 1000 ft. She still cannot move living things, herself included - regardless of weight - without killing the being teleported. She may now teleport to locations seen indirectly (through reflections, windows, etc)

Stage 3: At this stage, her rifts become safer and require less effort. She can now move 250 lbs up to a mile. She can create stage 2 or lower rifts with only partial concentration. In addition, she can (with great effort) move herself through the rifts without incurring injury. She cannot take another living thing with her without the passenger dying in the process. She may now teleport (herself or objects) without maintaining momentum if she chooses.

Stage 4: At this stage, she can teleport herself with ease to more abstract locations. Her weight limit increases to 500 lbs and up to 5 miles. She can teleport herself with ease now, though still cannot take anyone with her. She can now teleport to locations she has seen in the past (as long as she knows about where they are relative to her location and assuming they are in range) The effort needed for all earlier stages is reduced

Stage 5: At her most powerful, she can teleport with significantly reduced limits. She can now teleport upwards of 1000 lbs and nearly 10 miles. She can take others with her through the rifts, though this is still difficult and requires intense concentration (leaving her fatigued) she no longer needs to have seen the location of her target, only it's approximate direction and distance is needed. The effort needed for all earlier stages is reduced. Finally, she can now increase the effective momentum of objects/people passing through her rifts.

Other: Claire caries her families sword; a master blade by a master blacksmith in the shape and style of the sword of her family crest. She rarely uses the blade, and lacks the strength to make efficient use of it. Instead, she uses a finely carved, but unadorned hand cross-bow in situations where her powers are less effective or in conjunction with her powers as needed. In addition to these and the gear she needs for any particular job, she also carries several changes of clothing for when her social skills may be needed.[/spoiler]

Question: What is the difference between speed and agility exactly? I may have to switch the two around. I'm assuming speed is "how fast you can run/move/accelerate" where agility is "reflexes/dexterity/etc"

answer: you are right for instant a bull would have high speed but low agility while a monkey would have lower speed but much higher agility.

as for your character a couple of reductions in terms of your power can you change the part about not being able to teleport living things without killing them to just not being able to teleport them.

stage 4 I would like a limitation in the amount of times she can self teleport (high priority change) and how long ago in the past something has to be for her to teleport there(low priority).

stage 5 I would like the limit of her having to have a general idea of what the place looks like as well(low priority), also you can remove the limit in how much she can teleport herself.

You don't have to make these changes but they will affect when you will unlock them, the level of priority shows how much of an effect it has. Also maybe you could add a bit to your back story of being firstly mistaken for a gifted matsumancer.

hiei82

Aug 10, 2011
nuba km said:
hiei82 said:

answer: you are right for instant a bull would have high speed but low agility while a monkey would have lower speed but much higher agility.

as for your character a couple of reductions in terms of your power can you change the part about not being able to teleport living things without killing them to just not being able to teleport them.

stage 4 I would like a limitation in the amount of times she can self teleport (high priority change) and how long ago in the past something has to be for her to teleport there(low priority).

stage 5 I would like the limit of her having to have a general idea of what the place looks like as well(low priority), also you can remove the limit in how much she can teleport herself.

You don't have to make these changes but they will affect when you will unlock them, the level of priority shows how much of an effect it has. Also maybe you could add a bit to your back story of being firstly mistaken for a gifted matsumancer.
I included the "teleportation kills them" as a reasoning for why I can teleport some kinds of matter while not others. I see the point though - I could use it to kill people which was not my intention. Could I just say I can't teleport unwilling people/things? That way, I cannot teleport my enemies.

Any suggestions on amount number of teleports she should be limited to?

Maybe I will limit the memory aspect to within accurate memory - If I study the image for a while it will last a few days, if it's a passing glance, maybe a few minutes - that work for you?

I am going to keep the last one, because my intention is should I reach stage 5, I want to start teleporting objects into people to ruin their days.

I was acting under the impression that each of the "schools" of magic was inherent to a specific race, but I will add it in if you think it needed.

any other suggestions/comments/concerns?

drmigit2

Dec 25, 2008
hiei82 said:
It seems that if teleporting people would kill them, that would make a really good attack. Like "Oh no, the big giant super bad guy has come- oh wait you tossed him in to the void and put little effort in it so he died a horrible death."

hiei82

Aug 10, 2011
drmigit2 said:
hiei82 said:
It seems that if teleporting people would kill them, that would make a really good attack. Like "Oh no, the big giant super bad guy has come- oh wait you tossed him in to the void and put little effort in it so he died a horrible death."
Yeah... I didn't mean it that way. My main plan is to shoot my crossbow through a portal into random people from odd angles - at least at early stages.

Later I want to be able to use all the fun ways of stopping people with teleportation (my favorite by far is to teleport a 1000 lb boulder into a person's stomach and watch as physics dictates the winner.) - that's why I want the ability to teleport things to places I can't see but know the rough location of; it's hard to SEE into someone's stomach. I figure by the time we reach stage 6, there will be plenty of ways to combat ingenious use of teleportation.

drmigit2

Dec 25, 2008
hiei82 said:
Not the point I was making, if teleporting other people kills them unless you specifically try hard to not kill them, you could just teleport the bad guy and kill him that way. Idk how to make it balanced, perhaps making it force a connection between the two of you, so if the person you teleport dies you do too, but you basically gave yourself an insta kill.

hiei82

Aug 10, 2011
drmigit2 said:
hiei82 said:
Not the point I was making, if teleporting other people kills them unless you specifically try hard to not kill them, you could just teleport the bad guy and kill him that way. Idk how to make it balanced, but you basically gave yourself an insta kill.
Thats the reason I'm going to change it to "willing targets only" for the teleportation - GM approval of course.

I was just never able to wrap my head around the idea of someone [u/]not[/u] being able to be teleported because they accomplished the cosmically insignificant job of having some complex chemical reactions going on inside. I understand it's a balancing mechanic, but it hurts the part of my brain that uses physics and wrecks my suspension of disbelief.

Hence, different mechanic - no unwilling targets. a rock has no will (honey rock doesn't care), so it's a fair target, but a a person has the will to resist so it might not want to go. admittedly, that doesn't prevent me from teleporting others at stage 2 (which is a problem), but whatever, I can figure it out later.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
hiei82 said:
1. The willing target idea is fine enough with.

2. I think 10-20 times a day (depending on how rested you are) before you start getting tired would be fine.

3. Accurate memory will be fine

4. In short, no lodging objects in peoples brains. In long, I can accept the teleporting to places you have the general idea under one condition, the object teleported gets destroyed if it takes up the same place as another solid object, this is just to make you character a bit more cautious using the power and to make it you can't just easily kill off some of the tougher enemies as combating rock in brain is kinda hard.

drmigit2 said:
I presume by your posting in this thread you are interested.

hiei82

Aug 10, 2011
nuba km said:
hiei82 said:

2. I think 10-20 times a day (depending on how rested you are) before you start getting tired would be fine.

4. In short, no lodging objects in peoples brains. In long, I can accept the teleporting to places you have the general idea under one condition, the object teleported gets destroyed if it takes up the same place as another solid object, this is just to make you character a bit more cautious using the power and to make it you can't just easily kill off some of the tougher enemies as combating rock in brain is kinda hard.

drmigit2 said:
1-3. will make the changes shortly.

4. Actually, dodging a rock to the brain is easy - move. Logically, there is a time delay between when I would make the calculation of target location and when the teleport occurs because the human brain can only do so many things at once. If a big tough enemy is charging/zig-zaging/moving, I won't know exactly where he/she is, so doing something as precise as "put a rock inside his brain" would be difficult. Now, if we catch said target off guard while he/she is sleeping, they really have no excuse and would die by Anani mazin's Zeus-like lightning strikes as easily as rock to the brain. (assuming we move up stages at roughly the same rate). That's not to say the rock to the brain can't be done (tricky maneuvering and predicting enemy actions and all that) but it would be about as easy as hitting someone in the head with a crossbow. It also would not preclude hitting someone in the torso because its larger (Out of game read: less immediately lethal) target - it's powerful (stage 5 for a reason) but hardly an insta-kill move.

If you would prefer, I could instead make the character be against killing people, preventing her from putting rocks in brains not by mechanics but by character.

The only reason I combat your solution (objects are destroyed when trying to move into occupied space) is that most of my plans involve delivering objects via rifts (make a ladder up a wall, pin enemy to ground via crossbow bolts through his clothing, poison into the stomach, etc) but if the objects get destroyed when they reappear, that makes my powers all but useless save running away and maybe defensively - and those only stage 3+ where the mass restriction is small enough.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
hiei82 said:
nuba km said:
hiei82 said:

drmigit2 said:
1-3. will make the changes shortly.

4. Actually, dodging a rock to the brain is easy - move. Logically, there is a time delay between when I would make the calculation of target location and when the teleport occurs because the human brain can only do so many things at once. If a big tough enemy is charging/zig-zaging/moving, I won't know exactly where he/she is, so doing something as precise as "put a rock inside his brain" would be difficult. Now, if we catch said target off guard while he/she is sleeping, they really have no excuse and would die by Anani mazin's Zeus-like lightning strikes as easily as rock to the brain. (assuming we move up stages at roughly the same rate). That's not to say the rock to the brain can't be done (tricky maneuvering and predicting enemy actions and all that) but it would be about as easy as hitting someone in the head with a crossbow. It also would not preclude hitting someone in the torso because its larger (Out of game read: less immediately lethal) target - it's powerful (stage 5 for a reason) but hardly an insta-kill move.

If you would prefer, I could instead make the character be against killing people, preventing her from putting rocks in brains not by mechanics but by character.

The only reason I combat your solution (objects are destroyed when trying to move into occupied space) is that most of my plans involve delivering objects via rifts (make a ladder up a wall, pin enemy to ground via crossbow bolts through his clothing, poison into the stomach, etc) but if the objects get destroyed when they reappear, that makes my powers all but useless save running away and maybe defensively - and those only stage 3+ where the mass restriction is small enough.
I am fine with you throwing a boulder point plank at someones face, as you know a giant monster or wizard can survive or block it, like the zues bolt. Also I think there may be a misunderstanding, I am just saying you can't make a rift inside someone and just place a rock in them, I am perfectly fine with you blasting rocks out of portals like cannonballs that appear out of thin air. And the gets destroyed suggestion is if part of it is inside a wall or a tree or a person etc. when it re appears.

hiei82

Aug 10, 2011
nuba km said:
I am fine with you throwing a boulder point plank at someones face, as you know a giant monster or wizard can survive or block it, like the Zeus bolt. Also I think there may be a misunderstanding, I am just saying you can't make a rift inside someone and just place a rock in them, I am perfectly fine with you blasting rocks out of portals like cannonballs that appear out of thin air. And the gets destroyed suggestion is if part of it is inside a wall or tree when it re appears.
... the cannon-ball thing would make my character more powerful rather then less powerful, because to enact the cannon-ball thing, I would need to change the "must maintain momentum" rule so that it works at lower stages; I do want to be able to make a ladder/pin someone to the ground early on. If that were the case, I could effectively accomplish the same effect (put a rock in someone's head) at stage 1 (instead of 5) by turning up the speed of something tossed through and opening the rift an inch from the bad guy's face - no room to dodge and no way to survive high speed rocks to the face (aside from "a wizard did it"). To prevent this, I would need to make a limit for how much the object can be accelerated and significantly reduce the mass limit (which would in turn delay her ability to teleport herself to stage 4 or higher)

Worse, there would no longer be any reason for her to carry a crossbow if she can do the same effect with her powers, which really changes the look and feel I was going for with the character (I was imagining the character dressed in either a dress or street cloths, holding a hand-crossbow in the James Bond stance *see below*)

I'm not saying that the "rock in the brain" technique should be allowed (I can see the problems with it, hence why I offered two other solutions), I just don't like the changes to the character your original solution would require.

hiei82

Aug 10, 2011

History: Claire grew up as the only child of the wealthy, political "Montaigne" family. Her mother and father (Isabella du Eris-Montaigne and Louis Rich'e du Montaigne) acted as ambassadors for the more powerful political families to settle both inter-human and inter-species conflicts. When she was born, it was expected that Claire would become a desirable, high-class lady, destined for a life of social parties and ambassadorial duties. They never expected she would be such a wild child. Claire spent her formative years escaping the gaze of her teachers and playing in the forest of her families estate with the children of the surrounding town, much to her parents ire. Eventually, she calmed down and studied in earnest, though even then she tended to ignore anything that could not keep her interest.

During her 16th year however, her fate changed. After a fight with her father over an arranged marriage, she climbed atop the roof of their villa to calm herself. while climbing, a ledge gave way and she fell from the roof. The fall would have killed her if not for the awakening of her powers, that teleported her safely to the ground. Witnessing the event, her father agreed to null the marriage - she was worth far more political points given her powers.

At first, it was believed her powers were some form of Matsumancy, though how she learned to perform such magic was unknown. It took several "magical experts" before the truth of her power became known - she was an enhanced being, not a magician.

When the conflict over broke out between enhanced beings and magical cabals, she was called upon to aid the defense - it was her duty to her people. She has been unable to teleport herself since that first day, but has learned to call upon her powers (however weakly)

Skills: Due to her families political position, she is fairly well versed in the art of diplomacy and politics. Because of her tomboy activities, she can navigate the wilderness with the best of them and has a good sense of direction. She knows how to fence, but lacks any real talent for it. When it comes to self defense, she prefers the range of her crossbow (which she is somewhat skilled with) to the power of a sword. She is literate and speaks several languages. Finally, she has practiced the noble are of Falconry at her fathers request (though she does enjoy the activity) She has a Peregrine Falcon that she has named Elise.

Stage 1: At her weakest level, she is capable of making small tears in the world, allowing her to move small, low mass (no more then a 20 lbs) object short distances (no more then 500 ft). She must be able to see her target location directly. Alternatively, she can reach through the small rift and bring something to her (same limitations apply). Objects moved maintain their momentum. This ability is conscious and requires her full attention. She cannot move unwilling targets.

Stage 2: At Stage 2, her rifts become larger and can act at greater range. She can move up to 100 lbs up to 1000 ft. She may now teleport to locations seen indirectly (through reflections, windows, etc)

Stage 3: At this stage, her rifts become safer and require less effort. She can now move 250 lbs up to a mile. She can create stage 2 or lower rifts with only partial concentration. In addition, she can (with great effort) move herself through the rifts without incurring injury. She can only teleport 10 to 20 times per day (depending on the dificulty of the jump, the distances of the jumps, etc) She may now teleport (herself or objects) without maintaining momentum if she chooses.

Stage 4: At this stage, she can teleport herself with ease to more abstract locations. Her weight limit increases to 500 lbs and up to 5 miles. She can now teleport to locations she has seen in the past and remembers - a few minutes to a few days depending on how closely studied. She needs to know about where the location is relative to her location and the destination must still be in range. The effort needed for all earlier stages is reduced

Stage 5: At her most powerful, she can teleport with significantly reduced limits. She can now teleport upwards of 1000 lbs and nearly 10 miles. She can take others with her through the rifts - though they still must be willing, is still difficult, and requires intense concentration (leaving her fatigued.) She no longer needs to have seen the location of her target, only it's approximate direction and distance is needed. She must have a general idea of what the destination looks like to open a rift there. The effort needed for all earlier stages is reduced and she can now teleport herself without limit. Finally, she can now increase the effective momentum of objects/people passing through her rifts.

Now with ([s/]90% of[/s] Edit: all of) required/suggested edits!

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
hiei82 said:
nuba km said:
I am fine with you throwing a boulder point plank at someones face, as you know a giant monster or wizard can survive or block it, like the Zeus bolt. Also I think there may be a misunderstanding, I am just saying you can't make a rift inside someone and just place a rock in them, I am perfectly fine with you blasting rocks out of portals like cannonballs that appear out of thin air. And the gets destroyed suggestion is if part of it is inside a wall or tree when it re appears.
... the cannon-ball thing would make my character more powerful rather then less powerful, because to enact the cannon-ball thing, I would need to change the "must maintain momentum" rule so that it works at lower stages; I do want to be able to make a ladder/pin someone to the ground early on. If that were the case, I could effectively accomplish the same effect (put a rock in someone's head) at stage 1 (instead of 5) by turning up the speed of something tossed through and opening the rift an inch from the bad guy's face - no room to dodge and no way to survive high speed rocks to the face (aside from "a wizard did it"). To prevent this, I would need to make a limit for how much the object can be accelerated and significantly reduce the mass limit (which would in turn delay her ability to teleport herself to stage 4 or higher)

Worse, there would no longer be any reason for her to carry a crossbow if she can do the same effect with her powers, which really changes the look and feel I was going for with the character (I was imagining the character dressed in either a dress or street cloths, holding a hand-crossbow in the James Bond stance *see below*)

I'm not saying that the "rock in the brain" technique should be allowed (I can see the problems with it, hence why I offered two other solutions), I just don't like the changes to the character your original solution would require.
the cannon ball thing was for your last stage not the other ones, I presumed in terms of combat you were planning object drops/blocking pathways combined with weapon for the early stages.

EDIT: just add anything that stops your character form being able to place a rock in someone's brain and I am sure your power will be fine.

Xero Scythe said:
Well, you've gotten a bit better since Shadows, Nuba! Mind if I join?
just make a character sheet and we will find out, and yes I got a lot better since shadows

Floris2123

Apr 26, 2011
Here is my character.
name: William Phoenix

race: Human

appearance: William is quite tall and about average weight he is quite muscled. He has brown hair and green eyes. He is good looking and always has his face in a welcoming smile. He wears an custom made armor that was made out of all kinds of exotic ingredients. His armor isn't stronger then normal armors but houses allot of ash in hidden compartments. He also wears an excellent quality shield and 2 custom made swords with him at all time. And an big backpack with in it a giant bag full of ash.

personality: William is an generally happy. William loves to travel and sees this as his latest adventure. He has a soft spot for poor children because he knows exactly how horrible their life is. He hates talking about the past asking about it will probably get you an glorious tale that starts at the age of 14. William is really charming he almost always succeed in conniving people he is right, or that they need to help him with something. William has no spiritual believes he just think that they are all nonsense. He can be quite bossy at times. He hates non humans but because of his charm and training nobody ever noticed it. He can be cold when needed his superiors always told him a leader who can't make though decisions is the worst kind of leader. He mistrust magic users due to previous experiences.

skills: He is extremely good in the art of selling and buying things. And also has allot talent in the art of diplomacy. Because of his tough military education he is also very skilled in the usage of swords and shields. He also learned a bit about the wild during his numerous adventures.

history: William was born into the family ash. They were poor and barley scrapped by. William spent the first 8 years of his life on the street scrapping food out of dumpsters. Everybody looked down on him an yelled at him for walking near them. He was really unhappy but the people who were the worst were foreigners. They sometimes beat him senseless because they could and found it fun. He started hating non humans.

His father had a big plan on the market of trade hoping to make money to escape this poor existents. A friend of him who owned a few shops wanted to invest in these plans. William's father then used his intelligence as well as his charisma to make a giant profit. Making them middle class citizens.

The family celebrated and changed their name to Phoenix. To show the world that they had once only been ash but now they rose above it like a Phoenix. William spend the next couple of years attending a good school and he was given practice in the art of selling an buying things.

When William turned 14 he told his father that he also wanted to contribute in the business. His father saw no harm in this and accepted telling him to branch out into the other lands. William used his charm to win over the hearts of the right foreign people, to make him able to make stores and once again turn a giant profit. His father was really impressed.

With their newly gained financial wealth the family Phoenix was now almost noble class. William got the highest grade education to further make use of his incredible charm and negation tactics. William also under went severe training in the art of combat. The trips he made all around the world were filled with danger and he didn't want to be left defenseless. His greatest treat were the Hansav vile underhanded beast in his opinion. They dominated the trade area and didn't take kindly to an human he has had numerous attacks on his life.

When William turned 18 he was finally done with his education of economics. He went on a very dangerous trip to try and branch out into Buvor lands. Fate struck however as there was a rock slide. Forcing William of the road he hid in an cave. When the rock slide was over William noticed that the exit was blocked. He began to hit the rock trying to get it out of the way.

After almost being locked in there for an entire day he once again try to break the rocks with his fist. When that didn?t work he sat down and thought to himself might as well die while being warm at least. He made an fire and sat down by it looking into it. He had always been fascinated by ash it had once been burned but could never burn again. Then the ash began to move and began to swirl through small holes around the rock. William was surprised but used his new found power to show his friends were he was. His friends came quickly to rescue him, He has been training with his power ever since. He found out later that an Buvor was practicing magic and made an mistake. William also began to grow to mistrust magic users.

William left the Buvor lands never too look back. He went home and told his father of his trip and he also told him he wanted to serve his country. His father was shocked by this news. But knowing he couldn't change his sons mind he forced him to under go an extremely tough military training for 4 years. After the 4 years were done William left his home in search of new adventure. And now he has found one.

stats: (49/49)
ingenuity 5/10
strength 6/10
speed 5/10
charisma 9/10
intelligence 8/10
agility 5/10
perception 5/10
endurance 6/10

Main power: ash creation and Manipulation.

1= Ash cloud blinds everybody except William.

2= Ash control can use the ash far better using it to blind people, or by shooting it into their airways making them suffocate or making an weak shield.

3= Ash creation can summon ash straight from his body.

4= Ash mastery can now change the color and the particles of the ash making far better shields. And even weapons he can fool his enemies by making look a like ash clones. Can use heated ash if it has been in contact with fire at some point.

5= Phoenix power he regenerates faster then normal humans. And can survive more then any other human can.

Other: William is extremely rich but never takes more then a bit of money on one of his trips. William has allot of connections in almost every country he also has quite a few hidden places where he stores all kinds of gear. And he is also known as the phoenix, Because of ash ability and that he was once poor but managed to rose above that and become someone of importance.